Question: What Is The Largest Fictional Spacecraft

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

The Xeelee
Padawan Learner

Question: What Is The Largest Fictional Spacecraft

Post by The Xeelee »

I recently came across some files on my computer which contained my old super soft science fiction that had star sized Battleships with trillions of fighters battling each other, this made me wonder, what is the largest spacecraft in published fiction?

Additionally, have you got any in your own settings that qualify?
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Re: Question: What Is The Largest Fictional Spacecraft

Post by Captain Seafort »

Probably V'Ger - it's about the same size as the entire solar system.
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

Jeff Russels Starship Dimensions Take your pick.
Captain Seafort wrote:Probably V'Ger - it's about the same size as the entire solar system.
How could V'Ger be the size of a solar system when it goes into orbit of earth?

It was never stated in the movie but how big it was but if memory serves right the novelization of TMP stated something in the 20 to 30 km range.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I think the "cloud" portion of V'ger is said to be 82 AU or 2 AU in diameter depending on the version you're using, but the actual ship seems signifigantly smaller.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Possibly the TARDIS on the inside, I dont know if its full size has ever been defined. For all we know it has a whole universe of space.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Yeah I bet, a whole universe! Jesus Christ.

Some robots in Gurren Lagann are the size of a galaxy so you'd hope super wank scifi has something bigger than a planet. In my fanfictio every spaceship is armoured with plates forged from infinite quantum universes. Making shit up is easy, which makes this sort of question p dumb.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

How are we even defining 'spacecraft' anyhow? I mean its not a term that is exactly consistent in sci fi anyhow.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Uh oh Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann apparently 'ten million light years' tall. Sounds like an exaggeration to me but hey, there you go.
The Xeelee
Padawan Learner

Post by The Xeelee »

Connor MacLeod wrote:How are we even defining 'spacecraft' anyhow? I mean its not a term that is exactly consistent in sci fi anyhow.

A vessel or machine designed to travel through Space.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

I'll cast a vote for Taa II, the world-ship of Galactus from Marvel Comics. It makes a solar system look small.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

What horrible design. That robit would get no traction with those boots.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

That's that the Cho Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann which is actually ten billion lightyears tall. :v

e: the little blue flame by its foot is the Granzeboma, which was about the same size as the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Look pal there's no good shots of the 10 million light year one out there. I wanted to stay with galaxy size stuff but Internet failed me.

Surely there's bigger stuff than this in xeelee or culture wank?
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I wonder if galaxies are just that Robbits clumped ejaculate.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Stark wrote:Surely there's bigger stuff than this in xeelee or culture wank?
Not in the books. Culture ships go up to 200km long, DS1 class at best. Biggest things ever mentioned in the Culture novels are Ringworld-equivalent structures and Dyson spheres, not clear how solid the later are. There are a few hundred precursor-built artificial planets implied to be able to put a forcefield around the Milky Way. Don't recall any giant ships from the Xeelee stuff. There is the Ring, which is a few million light years across and sufficiently massive to cause the eventual collapse of the universe, but it's a stationary loop of cosmic strings (topological defects).

I'm sure there's ridiculous fanfic somewhere though.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Oh. All I know about the stuff the Xeelee are from is that they use galaxies as weapons; in Gurren Lagann they do they same thing... but uh, pretty much by throwing them. :V
The Imperator
Youngling

Post by The Imperator »

Stark wrote:Oh. All I know about the stuff the Xeelee are from is that they use galaxies as weapons; in Gurren Lagann they do they same thing... but uh, pretty much by throwing them. :V
Xeelee operate on a large scale, not necessarily large ships. IIRC, the ship in Timelike infinity had hundreds of miles long "wings," but the craft itself is not that big.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Stark wrote:Oh. All I know about the stuff the Xeelee are from is that they use galaxies as weapons; in Gurren Lagann they do they same thing... but uh, pretty much by throwing them. :V
They throw around galaxies and other ridiculous objects but only at low relativistic speeds, as part of battles that take many millions of years to play out. The Xeelee don't seem to need giant ships or engines to do this, their standard contemporary-destroyer-sized spacecraft can easily blow up a star or compress interstellar gas into a new planet.

Baxter's follow up series is even more ridiculously overpowered, it features what is essentially a TARDIS with the exterior dimensions similar to earth's moon and the ability to create/destroy/travel between universes, teleport anything anywhere, omniscient unlimited range sensors etc. Still not up there with Taa II on the raw size scale though.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Stark wrote:Yeah I bet, a whole universe! Jesus Christ.

Some robots in Gurren Lagann are the size of a galaxy so you'd hope super wank scifi has something bigger than a planet. In my fanfictio every spaceship is armoured with plates forged from infinite quantum universes. Making shit up is easy, which makes this sort of question p dumb.
To be "fair" the TTGL and the "Chu" TTGL existed in some "between the 11th and 12th dimension" in a place where mental will basically become physical form, so any laws of physics goes right out the window. So yeah in THAT Place, a giant robot/ship a billion light years tall? No problem...

Now in the "Real" world of the same series, the largest ship that existed was the Cathedral Terra a ship of roughly the same size and MASS as Earth's Moon.

THAT is big. I mean "V'Ger" for all it's super powers, is aprox 100km long.
The Death Star was aprox 120km, and of the Death Star II was aprox 900k.
Cathedral Terra is estimated to be around 1700 km in size.

So yeah, as far as actual "space ships" goes, thats rather freaking huge.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Starglider wrote:
Stark wrote:Surely there's bigger stuff than this in xeelee or culture wank?
Not in the books. Culture ships go up to 200km long, DS1 class at best. Biggest things ever mentioned in the Culture novels are Ringworld-equivalent structures and Dyson spheres, not clear how solid the later are. There are a few hundred precursor-built artificial planets implied to be able to put a forcefield around the Milky Way.
Are Orbitals actually Ringworld-equivalent? My interpretation was that they were much smaller, as they don't revolve around a star at the center, as that's where Hub is. They orbit a star in the goldilocks zone, almost edge-on to the star.

Shellworlds were 45k-80k km across, but constructed in hyperspace, so the interior and exterior dimensions don't match.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Terralthra wrote:
Biggest things ever mentioned in the Culture novels are Ringworld-equivalent structures and Dyson spheres, not clear how solid the later are.
Are Orbitals actually Ringworld-equivalent? My interpretation was that they were much smaller, as they don't revolve around a star at the center, as that's where Hub is. They orbit a star in the goldilocks zone, almost edge-on to the star.
The Cultureverse has actual ringworlds as a completely separate thing from orbitals. The summary of the Culture-Idiran war at the end of Consider Phlebas describes the damage as '91,215,660 starships (all classes above interplanetary), 14,334 orbitals, 53 planets and major moons, 1 ring and 3 spheres, as well as the significant mass-loss or sequence-position alteration of 6 stars'. Presumably ringworlds are much much less common than orbitals (understandable as they are much more engineering effort for no obvious benefit).
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Ah, fair enough. Must not've stuck in my mind, since they have yet to show up in narrative.