TSCC Canceled

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

TSCC Canceled

Post by SylasGaunt »

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/04/fal ... eat-s.html

http://www.airlockalpha.com/news426363.html

So in short fuck Fox. Fuck them right in their never to be sufficiently damned ear. :finger:

I am officially done with this shitty network because every time I find a fucking show I like on it it gets canned and more than once on a cliffhangar ending. :banghead:
R.O.A
Padawan Learner

Re: TSCC Canceled

Post by R.O.A »

I think this actually might help them out in the long run. It would have been hard to keep going with the new storyline; they wrote themselves into a hole. It does annoy me a little bit but not like the cancellation of Jericho did...
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Yeah, this is official. Josh Friedman has not confirmed it, but some producers have already moved on to other shows.
R.O.A wrote:I think this actually might help them out in the long run. It would have been hard to keep going with the new storyline; they wrote themselves into a hole.
Not really. What makes you say that?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

I could try for eloquence, but "aw fuck," sums ups my feelings accurately.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Fucking hell.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Damn it! The keeps sending shows I like into death-slot friday, and then cancelling them. Firefly, T:SCC. Next you're going to tell me Dollhouse was cancelled too.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Beowulf wrote:Damn it! The keeps sending shows I like into death-slot friday, and then cancelling them. Firefly, T:SCC. Next you're going to tell me Dollhouse was cancelled too.
They renewed Dollhouse actually.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Oh great, this leaves Summer Glau free to play an emo creepy killing machine little girl in SG:U, her older firefly alum all ended up over there anyway

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

A Joss Whedon show on Fox on Friday gets RENEWED.

That much good luck had to come at someone's expense, karmically.

BAH. Much as I'd love to bash Fox, I just can't. The show wrote it's own grave, frankly, by choosing to come slow out of the gate after the hiatus. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves and all that. And the slow, meandering self-indulgent episodes blew the show's best chance to acquire new viewers.

Did I love the show? Yes. But the ratings slump was predictable and Fox's decision to cancel them was rational.

Fuck them for moving it to Friday night in the first place, though.

Ah, well. Farewell, show. You were the smartest sci-fi on TV for quite a while. You showcased the hidden talents of an unlikely cast(let's face it, who WASN'T cynical about Summer Glau? Let's not get into Shirley Manson, for that matter). You breathed new life and a soul into a dead franchise.

*raises glass*

I await the talents of the cast and crew in other shows. The writers especially.

Why can't the people who answer Nielsen ratings love the shows that I do? :(

EDIT:

Friedman's response:
By now most of you have heard the news that T:SCC is cancelled. I received a call earlier today from Peter Roth at Warner Bros. and I appreciate both his personal and professional support throughout this show’s life. I know a lot of you are angry about the cancellation and want to find a place to direct your anger and to that I say do yourself a favor and find a way to move past it. Every network wants a big fat hit, especially one with a brand name behind it, and Fox was/is no different. They supported the show, they supported my vision of the show, and they gave it plenty of time to find an audience.
And what an audience we found: passionate, intelligent, kind of nuts in a good way. My only complaint about the T:SCC fans is that there aren’t ten million of them. But I prefer to be happy for the ones we had instead of lamenting the ones we didn’t.
Good shows are cancelled every year; smart shows, worthy shows, shows which move their viewers to write blogs and have viewing parties and create action figures and bury executives’ email accounts under thousands of messages. I miss Deadwood and The Wire and Arrested Development but thank God that I still have Rescue Me and The Office and a recently renewed Party Down written by ex-T:SCC writer John Enbom.
Bad shows are cancelled, too. And certainly there are those who did not like what we did and had their own vision for what a Terminator TV show should be. It’s easy to look at low ratings or cancellation as “failure” and for those who believe we’ve gone about this all wrong I’m sure today’s news will only serve to confirm a world view that I would never try to change. We’ve written the show as best we can, executed it to the best of our abilities, and sent it out in the world knowing that we worked out asses off to do something that wouldn’t be a waste of anybody’s forty-three minutes.
Thanks to a brave and talented cast, a feature crew working on a TV schedule, and everyone else who I could list but won’t because they know who they are. Mostly I’d like to thank those of you who’ve supported us and fought for us and given up hours of your life to watch our show. At the end of the day, that’s what it’s about. The watching.
Hope we do it again soon.
Josh Friedman
"Peace on Earth and goodwill towards men? We are the United States Goverment - we don't DO that sort of thing!" - Sneakers. Best. Quote. EVER.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

"Faith? Isn't that another term for ignorance?" - Gregory House

"Isn't it interesting... religious behaviour is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart?" - Gregory House

"This is usually the part where people start screaming." - Gabriel Sylar
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Fox are going downhill fast and their overall ratings are now starting to resemble the ratings that the defunct The WB and UPN networks had, the Nielsen system is decrepit, and advertising revenue is drying up at a rapid rate, so expensive shows like The Sarah Connor Chronicles are getting harder to put on. And these network executives are as similarily dumb as music executives, making irreparable mistake after irreparable mistake; why preemptively shift expensive shows to shitty timeslots and act all surprised when they struggle?
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

What I find strange is they didn't wait until Salvation had come out to make the call on canning the show. If Salvation did well, it could have stirred up more fan-interest in a Terminator TV series that would have given SCC a better shot in a third season.

That being said, "fucking hell" describes my feelings, too. Though I'm not surprised; they made a huge mistake having four full self-indulgent, meandering, uninteresting, and overall slow and boring episodes back-to-back, and too much focus on minor bit characters. The entire Sarah Connor mindfuckery mini-arc could have easily been condensed into one or two episodes instead of bloated up into four, and putting those after the break just compounded the stupid.

If the series had really kept the tightness that the first season held, it would have done much better, IMO.

Here's to hoping (on the incredibly miniscule chance) Sci-Fi picks it up.
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Peptuck wrote:That being said, "fucking hell" describes my feelings, too. Though I'm not surprised; they made a huge mistake having four full self-indulgent, meandering, uninteresting, and overall slow and boring episodes back-to-back, and too much focus on minor bit characters. The entire Sarah Connor mindfuckery mini-arc could have easily been condensed into one or two episodes instead of bloated up into four, and putting those after the break just compounded the stupid.
Perhaps the writers were taking the attitude 'it worked for Lost'. :( Heroes also got away with far worse.

Ending on a major cliffhanger is definitely the worst part of this, even nine more episodes would have been extremely useful for wrapping things up properly.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Fuckers.

Robot Rivers. :(
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Post by Singular Intellect »

I was fully expecting it, but that cliffhanger ending had me hoping till the bitter end. Fuck. :(
"Now let us be clear, my friends. The fruits of our science that you receive and the many millions of benefits that justify them, are a gift. Be grateful. Or be silent." -Modified Quote
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

io9 seems to think there is a chance that we might get some TV movies to wrap up the storyline, a la Alien Nation. I'm certainly upset at the death of the show, but part of me thinks two or three movies might actually be better than a whole other season story-wise, IMHO.

That said, it's still an outside chance.

I'll toss an obligatory "fuck you" to Fox. Hope Dollhouse is worthy of its second chance.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

That being said, "fucking hell" describes my feelings, too. Though I'm not surprised; they made a huge mistake having four full self-indulgent, meandering, uninteresting, and overall slow and boring episodes back-to-back, and too much focus on minor bit characters. The entire Sarah Connor mindfuckery mini-arc could have easily been condensed into one or two episodes instead of bloated up into four, and putting those after the break just compounded the stupid.
Yeah, that arc just went on and on and on and on and on. I lost interest and watched the episodes weeks apart, and still couldn't believe I was sitting through it.

Hoping for some TV movies to wrap the storyline up - they can't leave it like that.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Starglider wrote:
Peptuck wrote:That being said, "fucking hell" describes my feelings, too. Though I'm not surprised; they made a huge mistake having four full self-indulgent, meandering, uninteresting, and overall slow and boring episodes back-to-back, and too much focus on minor bit characters. The entire Sarah Connor mindfuckery mini-arc could have easily been condensed into one or two episodes instead of bloated up into four, and putting those after the break just compounded the stupid.
Perhaps the writers were taking the attitude 'it worked for Lost'. :( Heroes also got away with far worse.
Difference is, those shows weren't on FOX.

Friedman took way too big a gamble when he tried indulging in the Sarah Connor mindfuckery. He really shouldn't have done that with a series already on the ropes on a network known for axing shows at the drop of a hat. It would have been better if they'd at least spread it around and worked on integrating it with other episodes instead of creating a four episode block that essentially amounts to "Sarah Connor is crazy." A season-long series of occasional hallucinations and Kyle Reese appearances would have worked much better.

Not to mention they should have axed "Desert Cantos" and the majority of "The Good Wound." Those episodes were obviously boring and had little plot value, and should have been dropped at the script-writing stage; the only redeeming quality of "The Good Wound" was Kyle Reese, and like I said above, he could have easily been integrated into multiple episodes to better get across the idea of Sarah's insanity.

At least, that's what I would have done.
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

As for the possibility of TV-movies, I doubt that is going to work. For once, the show is geared towars and episodic format and second, the expenditure of new sets may be too great.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I also don't see why they would bother with TV movies when there are going to be theater movies coming out.
Also, doesn't the new movie invalidate the show anyway? Or is it ignoring it as the show did with T3?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

I'm also of the opinion that a couple D2DVD movies would be great to wrap the story. The first season was awesome because of the content density per episode, if they pull that off in a couple 2 hour movies, they could pretty much wrap everything up (while getting rid of superfluous stuff only fit as series filler).

Anyway, I'll just conclude by saying: Spoiler
ROBOT RIVER! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :cry:
unsigned
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Havok wrote:I also don't see why they would bother with TV movies when there are going to be theater movies coming out.
Also, doesn't the new movie invalidate the show anyway? Or is it ignoring it as the show did with T3?
The latter is the case.
------------
------------
My LPs
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

I want to say I'm surprised, but the moment it was announced that Fox was moving it from its decent time-slot, to the Friday Night Death Slot of DOOMtm, T:SCC's chances of not being totally canned up the ass by Fox went straight to zero. Fox hates good sci-fi, who knew?
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote:I want to say I'm surprised, but the moment it was announced that Fox was moving it from its decent time-slot, to the Friday Night Death Slot of DOOMtm, T:SCC's chances of not being totally canned up the ass by Fox went straight to zero. Fox hates good sci-fi, who knew?
Honestly, I think either Fox is at war with itself--with one group of execs that keeps pushing for Sci-Fi show and one that pushes against them--or thinks that a scifi show can only be time tested if it can repeat the X-Files success.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I think I said this in another thread when TSCC got moved to Friday night... Why would a television network that has spent millions of dollars promoting and developing and making a show that is designed to appeal to the 15-35 demographic, move it to a night and time when 15-35 year olds are looking to do anything but stay home and watch TV? I don't get the logic there.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Havok wrote:I don't get the logic there.
I guess there isn't one. These decisions are probably made by the numbers, with no consideration about the actual product. I can easily picture a budget management meeting where different shows being refered to by their cost/benefit ratio and future projections, not by the content, target audience, or even actual quality.

To me, that's the problem with the commercialization of artforms, you can't measure its worth objectively, as it is subject to the personal tastes of the audience, but that doesn't stop them from trying.

Also, instant gratification, the bane of the capitalist mentality. Anything that doesn't pay off inmediately is shunned and discarded.

Again, I do hope they get a couple movies to wrap things up. I was liking the chemistry between characters a lot, and to be honest, for a Terminator-based show it was surprisingly not groan-inducing, unlike T3 or T:Salvation.
unsigned