Favorite B5 Race

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Favorite B5 Race?

Earth alliance
11%
Minbari
22%
A League of Non-aligned worlds
No votes
Shadows
32%
Vorlons
22%
Narns
3%
Centauri
11%

Total votes: 37

Jack Lain
Padawan Learner

Post by Jack Lain »

I agree to a point Rathark.

Is it better to sacrifice one innocent man to catch a hundred criminals or is it better to set a hundred criminals free to ensure that the innocent is not kept?
Same concept.
But to be truthful, and as much as I would hate it, I'd rather be the innocent who has to suffer to ensure that others are safe than the reverse. Yeah, it would bite, but those are the breaks. Besides, we're all guilty of something ;) I would like to be able to walk in the park at night and know that I am safe, versus looking over my shoulder. Hell, we're giving up our freedoms every day anyway, might as well be for a good cause. So if a few ppl pay the price for freedom at night, and it just so happens to be me, well? Shit that would suck and stay the hell away from me Bubba!

I also like the Vorlons and their willingness to destroy to see their ideals to fruition. But between the two, I think the shadow have the better definition of evolution.

/geek alert
I always saw those two as the difference between lawful evil and chaotic evil - in so far as the human race was concerned.
/geek mode off.

Oh, also, the shadow ships are cool. heheh

-Jack "shadow wannabe" Lain.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

I agree, the Shadows have a better philosophy, but the Vorlon's encounter suit is all of the coolness they need.

The Shadows are awesome, in and of themselves, but COME ON! The Encounter Suits kick ass, and Vorlon's voices are so strange and interesting. I agree, though, they are both VERY cool races. I give it to the Vorlons due to their fashion sense, but if they did not exist or were not quite so cool I would have to say that the Shadows were my favorite race.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Jack Lain
Padawan Learner

Post by Jack Lain »

Oh I conceed massively. The Volon suit kicks major ass. I remember seeing Kosh for the first time and jumping online to look all that up. Way cool stuff. Hell, even the almost pure energy state of the Vorlons is pretty cool. That was such a good show.

-Jack.
Jack Lain
Padawan Learner

Post by Jack Lain »

My kingdom, ok my desk, for an edit button!!! VORLON! Gah, I gotta learn to proof before I post. ;)

-Jack "Hasty" Lain.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

B5 was by far the best sci-fi series ever to grace network television. Thank you, Mike Straczinsky, for giving me so many hours of entertainment.

And Vorlons RULE! Actually, almost every race in B5 is really cool. The characters are great, and the story line is so easily the best ever written that any comparisons to shows like DS9 are laughable. I think my favorite character was G'Kar because he could tell what was going to happen but was cursed because no one would believe him.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Skelron
Jedi Master

Post by Skelron »

Favourite race, I'm not sure... I think it would be what the Narn's where shown to have the 'potential' to be. (I.E if G'Kar had his way at the end) This may in fact show one of the strengths of the show. It's aliens... they arn't portrayed as having one defining characteristic, noble warriors, religious people etc. Rather you have more defined civs, real races. The Minbari for example, religious, right... except thats not the case in the show we see mainly examples of the religious caste, the two main Minbari character's where member's of this caste, and so they where more religious than the majourity of the minbari, the Warrior caste was far less religious, (The first to break the rule about not Minbari not killing Minbari, not being comfortable with surrendering to the humans after the battle of the line simply due to a prophecy etc) The Narn's when the series first started I thought where going to be Klingon's this didn't happen really, you got a culture, who after finnally being free where more militaristc than before yes, they had an inferorty complex... but their was always something more to them, G'Kar showed that, when he accepted the message that some must be sacrifiaced for all to survive...

Actually I change my vote thinking about all this to the Vorlon's while the Shadow's may have been good manipulator's the Vorlon's where masters of it. They entered themselves into the religions of almost all the YR as the good guys. It was them in the form of Kosh who made G'Kar into the man he was at the end. They managed to portray right up till the end their enemies as the enemy of all and that they where the only ones who could save the YR from them.... How can they be beaten for coolness... Plus they have encounter suits :D
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I'm going to go with the Shadows. When you could see them they were cool. Their main capital ships were very cool, bad ass, and they made that nifty/creepy screaming sound that people could hear in their minds. :twisted:

Nephilim
Youngling

Post by Nephilim »

From the options that were put in the poll, i voted for the Minbari. They just have a real depth to them, the Religious Caste praying, the Worker Caste building, and the Warrior Caste fighting. Throughout the entire series they were developed, and that made them look like a real race IMO.

But my favorite race, out of all of the ones of B5, definately have to the the Walkers of Sigma 957. Their ship looks awesome, and their technology is just my favorite out of all the races. I mean, the Walkers were the first to encounter Thirdspace, and mapped out their entire dimension in secret without getting destroyed by Thirdspace, that immediately gives them my respect. They don't even use weapons on their ships, they're just scientists on crack, with sensors so powerful they're rated as weapons.

"We're scanning you right now. It will only cause your ship to blow up, please relax and make peace with your make while the procedure is being completed"
The ship being scanned blows up, the Walkers find that it was made out of primitive materials and move on.

I like them :D
Xenophobe3691
Sith Marauder

Walkers

Post by Xenophobe3691 »

I chose Vorlons, because, well, just look at my Handle. :roll: I just have one question, where does it say that the Walkers explored all of Thirdspace? I'd just like to find out, I've never seen that before... Thanks! :shock: