Sci-fi religion

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

"Another interesting question about sci-fi religions in general: Why is it that in many series several thousand years in the future we have the same human religions as now? No new ones? (For the most part anyway.) This is something that would be interesting to see, several different competing religions, including new ones (or perhaps resurrected old ones). And why is it that it always seems religions are limited by species boundaries? I can think of several ways beings of one species could adopt the religion(s) of another, provided there is something compatible. Religions where the object of worship is an ideal or an incarnation of an idea instead of a specific supernatural being or god come to mind.

Any thoughts?"

The Rangers seem to manage fine with Mimbari religion, IIRC.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Edi
Dragonlord
Dragonlord

Post by Edi »

Whoops, my mistake. Okay, so there are a few exceptions, like the Rangers. But given similarity between humans and Minbari, not such a surprise. Or is it the Minbari philosophy the Rangers are taught, instead of the religion itself, or are the two indistinguishable? Intertwined, certainly, but inseparable? Much of their religion seems to be a personality cult of Valen, with a certain parallel to ancient sagas where a hero appears at the darkest hour to turn the tide.

Edi
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

"Or is it the Minbari philosophy the Rangers are taught, instead of the religion itself, or are the two indistinguishable? Intertwined, certainly, but inseparable?"

Dunno. Haven't watched B5 all that much, despite trying.

"Much of their religion seems to be a personality cult of Valen, with a certain parallel to ancient sagas where a hero appears at the darkest hour to turn the tide."

Yeah, I think you're right. Valen is invoked by Delenn time and again, too.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Enlightenment wrote: No one in a 'Zilla flic ever refers to 'zilla as god, for one thing....
But on the other hand, he's not called GODzilla for nothing...

(However, I am well aware that Godzilla actually is called Gojira in the original Japanese versions..... why he has to use another name in the West, is unknown)
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Kizarvexis
Redshirt

New religions in B5

Post by Kizarvexis »

Edi wrote:(Snip)Another interesting question about sci-fi religions in general: Why is it that in many series several thousand years in the future we have the same human religions as now? No new ones? (For the most part anyway.) This is something that would be interesting to see, several different competing religions, including new ones (or perhaps resurrected old ones) (snip)

Any thoughts?

Edi
Dr. Franklin on B5 was a Foundationist. A new religion that appeared after contact with the Centauri. IIRC, Foundationists believed that all the religions were worshipping the same God and that to really 'understand' God was to view God through each of the religions. Each religion views God through their own culture and by 'viewing' God through each religion a clearer picture of God would emerge.

It's been awhile but Franklin describes Foundationism to G'Kar during an episode where G'Kar's beliefs ae explored. The ep is "Walkabout" I believe.

Kizarvexis
"Incoming! Boisenberry at 3 o'clock!"
"Cobbler in the hole! Hit the deck!" - Thomas, Hero of the Pie Wars