Dr. Who suggestions

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Hades wrote:
ZShade wrote:
Hades wrote: not in the TV series continuity. That was the 2 Dr Who Darlek movies which dont follow continuity at all. Hes not even a Time Lord in that..... hes a Human :roll:
Wait, so you're saying that Susan is not the Doctor's grandaughter? You got proof of that?
Yep. An offical Doctor who Year book with a season by season guide in front of me as i type
under the seaosn 1 bit it says
"The 4 lead charactrs - School teachers Cliff and Miss McGovern and pupil Susan"
Hey, idiot. I have the remastered copy of "The Daleks" AKA "The Mutants" (The TV version) the second serial to be filmed, in which, horror of horrors, she calls him Grandfather all the way through!
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Hitch Hiker wrote:I've only ever seen John Pertwee as the doctor as I found an episode on an old tape. It was Spearhead from Space episode two.
Can you tell me what happened in episode 1 and the remainder of that stroy
OK, The Doctor has just been put on trial by the Time Lords, and sentanced to exile on Earth they have, incidentally, disabled his TARDIS, so it is incapable of leaving the planet. He wakes up in hospital, -they run some tests and find out he's an alien - he eventually escapes. Meanwhile the Nestene creatures arrive in some sort of capsules, which land as meteors and are almost all retrieved by a type of robot called an auton, which are being produced in a plastic factory (originally making dolls, but they switch over to plastic shop dummies - which are actually autons). The doctor ends up with Brigadier Leftbridge Stewart (of the United Nations Intelligence Taskforce) whom he has worked with before - who of course doesn't recognise him.)

Meanwhile a farmer/poacher finds a Nestene creature in its protective shell. He stashes it somewhere (in a shed of some sort IIRC). Eventually the Auton comes to his house and generally smashes the place up. However before that the poacher has decided to try and sell it to UNIT. As I remember, the auton finds and kills him. EDIT: Correction, Unit find The Auton, and shoot at it, but it escapes.

A former employee of the plastic factory discovers the Autons, and eventually ends up at UNIT. EDIT: It's this man the Auton kills

The Nestenes have created replicas of important people - generals, politicians etc, while stashing the originals in suspened animation in a waxwork museum somewhere. UNIT are thus denied the opportunity to just blow the place sky high, however the doctor somehow finds a way to kill the Nestenes.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

Hades wrote:
ZShade wrote:Wait, so you're saying that Susan is not the Doctor's grandaughter? You got proof of that?
Yep. An offical Doctor who Year book with a season by season guide in front of me as i type
"The 4 lead charactrs - School teachers Cliff and Miss McGovern and pupil Susan"
Guess what? It's wrong. The Doctor never traveled with a 'Cliff and Miss McGovern.' Their names were Ian Chesterton and Barbara Wright. And Susan's home address was the junkyard where the TARDIS was staying, and she even explained to them that the Doctor was her grandfather.

The novel Lungbarrow, the final 7th Doctor adventure in the Virgin line, explains their relationship in greater detail.
Twist the World and Ride the Wind

Cybertron's Finest - Justice League - Mecha Maniacs
Hades
Jedi Knight

Post by Hades »

NecronLord wrote:
Hades wrote:
ZShade wrote: Wait, so you're saying that Susan is not the Doctor's grandaughter? You got proof of that?
Hey, idiot. I have the remastered copy of "The Daleks" AKA "The Mutants" (The TV version) the second serial to be filmed, in which, horror of horrors, she calls him Grandfather all the way through!
You really need to work on your manners you know. :roll:

I was only going by the information in front of me. So can someone explain hoe he ended up with a human granddaughter?
If at first you dont succeed.... destroy all evidence you ever tried
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Hades wrote: You really need to work on your manners you know. :roll:
"mockery of stupid people"

I was only going by the information in front of me. So can someone explain hoe he ended up with a human granddaughter?
She's Gallifreyan. The species of the Time Lords.
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

Not having read Lungbarrow I have to say it was never really established either way. She may have been just Gallifreyan or she may have been a Time Lord just like The Doctor (and yes, there is quite a difference).

For example, in 'The Sensorites' Susan displays telepathic abilities which Time Lords possess but Gallifreyans don't - and it is, IIRC, specifically stated that what happened was that Susans natural abilities had been somehow augmented by being relatively near the Sense Sphere.

OTOH, we never saw Susan regenerate or anything else like that - then again we never saw the first Doctor possess any extranormal abilities either.

Personally, I'd like to see a regenerated Susan one day rejoin the TARDIS crew.
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Another miniupdate.

Continuing the Key to Time series I saw Stones of Blood. It was pretty bad in my opinion. The plot seems a mishmash, we have what at first looks like Stonehenge coming alive and killing people, to a ship stuck in hyperspace to a court room drama all rolled into one. But I have to say, Romana is looking HOTTER every episode. She was the main reason why this episode arc was watchable.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Adrian Tullberg
Padawan Learner

Post by Adrian Tullberg »

If you're interested in seeing the webcast of Douglas Adam's unfinished episode, Shada, you can see it here. Performed by Paul McGann and Lalla Ward ...
The Doctor (while standing in the pouring rain)-Pardon me, but could you spare a glass of water?
-From Doctor Who and The Brain of Morbius

Davros: We shall become all powerful ... !
The Doctor, joining in: Crush the lesser races! Conquer the Galaxy! Incredible power, unlimited rice pudding, etcetera, etcetera!!
-Remembrance of the Daleks
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Another update. Saw the Power of Kroll on Tuesday. It was OK, the green makeup on the Swampies was not bad, it certainly didn't look awful but the hair was obviously a mop painted green placed on their heads.

Kroll (a giant squid) looked a tad silly but the effect was no sillier than some TOS compositing, though the miniature of the methane factory was AWFUL. Even in the commentary Baker mentions that the miniature was cutting edge 1890's miniature technology. (He's a funny guy, I enjoy his commentary tracks)

Anyway, the key to time series is almost over and I have yet to see any opposition from the black guardian's forces and feel sort of let down. I expected some sort of arch nemesis for the good Doctor and I got nothing. Did briefly toy with the idea of a Dr. Who fanfic but backed off. Too much onn the plate right now and I don't think I have the British outlook or humor that would do the Doctor justice.

Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

You just have to remember that Dr Who was always made with less than a shoe-string budget.
For example, when they made 'The Two Doctors' (starring Colin Baker and Patrick Throughton) the cast had to take a pay cut and pay for their own meals because the BBC got miffed at the added expense of filming the adventure in spain (iirc).
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Miniupdate time:

I saw the Five Dotors and thoroughly enjoyed it despite the fact that the only Doctor I was Familiar with of the five was Tom Baker. I was very upset at Tom for refusing to join in on the fun and being reduced to stock footage. What a loss. Tom's doctor would have been great to see alongside the others. Each Doctor had a chance to show off his skills and highlight the very real differences between the incarnations. (Damn you Baker!)

The plot was pretty good but I saw the twist coming from a mile away. Got to see the Cybermen in action for the first time but my favorite villain was the android that would jump into the air and vanish. It was just so bad ass the way it tore through the Cybermen. And poor Master, he tries to do some good and gets rebuffed so he has no choice but revert back to villainy.

I have exhausted the current crop of available Baker DVDs so the next DVD I'm getting is Resurection of the Daleks with the fifth Doctor (Blonde young man after Baker) I'm getting perilously close to having watched all the Doctor Who's that are currently avilable on DVD and thats a shame. I'm really getting a taste for this stuff.

ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

There's always VHS. :D

If I remember correctly, the reason Tom didn't take part in the Five Doctors was that he thought it hadn't been that long since he left the show, and that bothered him for some reason. He now regrets it, and wishes he had done it.

Personally, I think that if he had, he would have wound up upstaging the others. :wink:

Peter Davison is a pretty good Doctor. It's been a while since I watched any of his stuff. Maybe I need to pull out Earthshock or Terminus again...

Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

Personally, I really like Earthshock ... die, Adric you annoying little git! Mwa ha ha!
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

ZShade wrote:
Hades wrote:
NecronLord wrote:Well, he has got a grandaughter...
not in the TV series continuity. That was the 2 Dr Who Darlek movies which dont follow continuity at all. Hes not even a Time Lord in that..... hes a Human :roll:
Wait, so you're saying that Susan is not the Doctor's grandaughter? You got proof of that?
Susan *could* be adopted. Which really doesnt pin down exactly what race she is(givin it could be from anywhen/anywere).
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

The novel Lungbarrow shows that Susan is Gallifreyan and the Doctor's granddaughter (Sorta. It's rather odd, even for Doctor Who.) Legacy of the Daleks confirms it, and I believe Susan finally regenerates in that one.

The nice thing about the BBC taking the Who novel license back is that most of the Virgin line of authors stayed with the series, keeping continuity between the Beeb and Virgin books.

Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

If Susan regenerates then she's a Time Lord and not just Gallifreyan.
Not all Gallifreyans are Time Lords but all Time Lords are Gallifreyan, so the theory goes...
ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

True, and she does have the two hearts, and says she can regenerate, (but doesn't in Legacy). On the other hand, she was the last of the natural born Gallifreyans, and isn't properly a Time Lord, since they (and all of modern Gallifrey) are Loomed instead of born, thanks to the Pythia's curse of sterility.

Susan is, well, Susan. More than a regular Gallifreyian, but not really a Time Lord. I really need to borrow the 2nd volume of I, Who, to see if she ever returned in the novel line.

Adrian Tullberg
Padawan Learner

There's word of a Who return ...

Read this ...

... and this ...
The Doctor (while standing in the pouring rain)-Pardon me, but could you spare a glass of water?

The Doctor, joining in: Crush the lesser races! Conquer the Galaxy! Incredible power, unlimited rice pudding, etcetera, etcetera!!
Hitch Hiker
Padawan Learner

Post by Hitch Hiker »

since last post i have become quite the fan :oops:
fav Dr is Peter Davidson
i have all the episodes were he breakes the 1st law of time and meets himself.

Colin baker sucked and i felt srry fopr Peri
also the 70's graphics of 3 doctors was laugable and non existant.

by the end of 2 doctors they must have run out of ideas as it just seems to be the same rescue person form being eaten and then Osca getting killed for no real reason, i like the sontarons though the music for them is good
Grand master in the art of Imaginary warfare and unsociable geography
Gallifrey Tec grade A+++

'Genetic material extrapolated, initiate cellular reconstruction' Dalek

Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Who IS the Docvtor??? has that ever been revealed?
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

It's never really been stated flat out but it was strongly hinted at in the book 'Lungbarrow' (now available for reading for free on the BBCs Dr Who website. Try it, it's a good read).

***SPOILERS***

Basically, back before Gallifrey had time travel there was a woman called The Pythia - she had some neat abilities such as being able to see into the future. Her power diminished and Rassilon kicked her to the curb, taking control of Gallifrey in the process. Just a bit annoyed, the Pythia cast a curse on Gallifrey which made the entire race baren - there would be no more naturally born children on Gallifrey.
Rassilon managed to get past this by setting up 'Looms' which took a Houses (basically an extended family) genetic information and used it to create fully grown Gallifreyans.
Working with Gallifrey at the time were Omega (who was pivotal in making time travel possible) and a mysterious figure called The Other. The Other and Rassilon disagreed constantly over many, many things - many revolving around the fact that Rassilon was often an amoral bastard. One day The Other had had enough and threw himself into Gallifrey's Master Loom ... and that was the last anyone ever saw of him.

To cut a long, and sometimes confusing as hell story short, the Doctor is the 'reincarnated' (for lack of a better word) form of The Other. His genetic profile does not match the rest of the house of Lungbarrow - The Doctor also wears the same ring that The Other did, and the Hand of Omega seemed to recognise The Doctor even so far as constantly coming to his aid like an over protective guard dog.

The Doctor (this is the first Doctor at this stage, please remember) was basically kicked out of his House and went to work in the Citadel. He hated it with a passion and, with the Hand of Omega following, he went and stole a TARDIS from its repair bay. His first stop was in Gallifrey's past wherein he met The Others grand daughter - Susan. Susan seemed to recognise The Doctor as The Other as well, though the Doctor didn't have a clue.

And, as the say, the rest is history.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Facinating, it does explain the line, "Didn't we have trouble with the prototype." but I got the impression that the Hand of Omega would obey any Time Lord really...
CNS Sarajevo
Youngling

Post by CNS Sarajevo »

Got here late, but just had to throw in my $.02...

Favorite episodes:

Genesis of the Daleks -- a centuries-old war...and this is how it ends...

Resurrection of the Daleks -- great episode

Earthshock -- first time I ever saw Cybermen. KICKA**.

The Five Doctors -- you saw it already, great show

The Keeper of Traken: "It's a shame he has to sit in the same chair for a thousand years but [the technology] is magnificent!"

Xoanon (sp?) -- Leela's first episode

Eldrad -- pretty basic story but I liked it. Eldrad must live!

What was K9's first episode? "Contact has been made..."

Most of Jon Pertwee's episodes were good too. The members of UNIT were great minor characters, especially the Brigadier. Inferno's the only title I remember.
I love the smell of BDZ in the morning.

"If the battle cannot be won without me, then I will be brought on deck."
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

Xoanon (sp?) -- Leela's first episode

You mean 'The Face of Evil' I believe.

Eldrad -- pretty basic story but I liked it. Eldrad must live!

I actually have no idea what episode you're talking about here at all. Pyramids of Mars maybe?

What was K9's first episode? "Contact has been made..."

The Invisible Enemy.
Adrian Tullberg
Padawan Learner

Parallax wrote:Eldrad -- pretty basic story but I liked it. Eldrad must live!

I actually have no idea what episode you're talking about here at all. Pyramids of Mars maybe?
The Hand of Fear. Sarah-Jane Smith's last episode.