Thirteenth Doctor's costume revealed.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Thirteenth Doctor's costume revealed.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Its... not what I would have gone with, but its not like the Doctor never dressed goofy before.

Actually this, like the Companion trio, has a very Old Series feel to it.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2017- ... -reaction/
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Thirteenth Doctor's costume revealed.

Post by Broomstick »

OMG!

I love it. Not because of the colors or wackiness or possible Mork and Mindy reference, but because --

1) They did NOT put her in a dress!
2) They did NOT put her in heels! So, so practical boots.

So.. if the male Doctor was River Song's husband... which number wife (she has at least two) of Song's is the female Doctor?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Broomstick wrote: 2017-11-09 07:24pm OMG!

I love it. Not because of the colors or wackiness or possible Mork and Mindy reference, but because --

1) They did NOT put her in a dress!
2) They did NOT put her in heels! So, so practical boots.
I'm ashamed that I didn't notice this sooner.

Yes, that is cool.

But then, its the Doctor. Running is an important part of the job. Heels and dresses contraindicated. :D
So.. if the male Doctor was River Song's husband... which number wife (she has at least two) of Song's is the female Doctor?
Oh dear God, the lesbian shipping fics...

Although, in all seriousness, I tend to lean towards Time Lords normally being bi-sexual, given the issues around regeneration and so forth- and the Doctor almost certainly is.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-11-09 07:46pm
Broomstick wrote: 2017-11-09 07:24pm So.. if the male Doctor was River Song's husband... which number wife (she has at least two) of Song's is the female Doctor?
Oh dear God, the lesbian shipping fics...
I know, right? There'll be more shipping than the entire East India Company. :twisted: :roll: :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I'd call the inevitable fandom sexualization of the Doctor sexist objectification, if not for the fact that that ship (no pun intended) sailed long before he became a woman. Doctor/Master slash-fic, anyone? Hell, even canonically: remember, Matt Smith got multiple shirtless scenes.

Actually, I wonder if the costume design is in part a way to push back against that. I don't dislike the costume overall, but, while I would hardly consider myself a great judge of fashion, one thing even I can tell it is definitely NOT is sexy (by conventional standards, anyway). As either male or female apparel.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

When has the Doctor's outfit ever been sexy? Well, maybe Three. Maybe Twelve. Certainly there have been a few epic Gaudy and Weird, and Six could make one wish for achromotopsia. (I've been wondering since Six if Gallifreyans see color differently than humans - different spectrum, different primary colors, something....)

The thing is, Thirteen should NOT be sexy. She's the Doctor, not a human woman.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Broomstick wrote: 2017-11-09 11:32pm When has the Doctor's outfit ever been sexy? Well, maybe Three. Maybe Twelve. Certainly there have been a few epic Gaudy and Weird, and Six could make one wish for achromotopsia. (I've been wondering since Six if Gallifreyans see color differently than humans - different spectrum, different primary colors, something....)

In one of the Big Finish Audio's the Sixth Doctor's coat was literally a weapon against an alien species the colours interacted with their vision system to cause them pain and to going into convulsions.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Broomstick wrote: 2017-11-09 11:32pm When has the Doctor's outfit ever been sexy? Well, maybe Three. Maybe Twelve. Certainly there have been a few epic Gaudy and Weird, and Six could make one wish for achromotopsia. (I've been wondering since Six if Gallifreyans see color differently than humans - different spectrum, different primary colors, something....)
"Sexy" is largely subjective, of course, but some of Nine, Ten, and Eleven all had outfits that could be considered sexy by fairly conventional standards.

Nine: Leather jacket.

Ten: Either a suite or a long coat.

Eleven: Once he started ditching the tweed, he had a thing for long coats and cowboy hats, IIRC.

Of course, Ten and Eleven were the pretty boy Docs. :wink:

For Gaudy and Weird, yeah, I'd say Six's was worse than this, and Seven and Fours' were arguably comparable or close to it.
I don't really have a problem with the Doctor being sexy on account of being an alien (though some interpretations of the Doctor have been less alien and more eldritch abomination), but I see your point.

Plus, it would send a rather unfortunate message if they tried to turn the first female Doctor into blatant fan service. I didn't really expect them to go that route, but I'm glad it seems to be confirmed that they're not.