Who can beat the Galatic Empire?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

von Neufeld
Padawan Learner

Who can beat the Galatic Empire?

Post by von Neufeld »

The Galactic Empire (SW) can beat the crap out of most other Sci-fi nations but who can beat them? Assume that Galactic Empire is at its height of power (just before RotJ). Only nations count, no superheroes (Yes, that means you Goku).

So far on my list:
1. The Culture, Culture novels, Iain Banks
2. The Fourth Empire, Dahak trilogy, David Weber

Any others?
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

The Xeelee and associated enemy, the Photino Birds

A number of the groups in Marathon.

The Blight.

Any of the larger, older Powers in Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep universe.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Possibly the Q

Timelords
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Culturevese Sublimed
Culturevese Involveds

Future Daleks (the ones in the curel and demented fic) [Dr. Who]
Necrontyr before their sleep. [WH40K]
Last edited by NecronLord on 2003-04-08 07:12am, edited 1 time in total.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

The Shi'ar, Kree, and Skrull Empires.

Apokalips.

Jurai Empire? (Depnds on continuity selection and various interpretation of events.)

Kold Empire? (Same as above)

Asimov's Empire? (Debated twice. Asimov's Empire was favored.)

Principality of Zan (Remember that thread? :P )

Latveria? (Depends on how generous you are of Dr. Doom's abilities.)
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick
von Neufeld
Padawan Learner

Post by von Neufeld »

Could you also include the works that they are from when you name empires, please?
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

Yogi wrote:The Shi'ar, Kree, and Skrull Empires.
Latveria? (Depends on how generous you are of Dr. Doom's abilities.)
Marvel Comics
Yogi wrote:Apokalips.
Detective Comics
Yogi wrote:Jurai Empire? (Depnds on continuity selection and various interpretation of events.)
No Need for Tenchi OVA continuity soup.
Yogi wrote:Kold Empire? (Same as above)
Dragonball
Yogi wrote:Asimov's Empire? (Debated twice. Asimov's Empire was favored.)
Asimov's novels.
Yogi wrote:Principality of Zan (Remember that thread? :P )
Some stupid thread titled "All of Anime vs. Principality of Zan" on this board. Wankfest powerful empire.
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

Rubberanvil
Jedi Master

Post by Rubberanvil »

Krikkits from the "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" series by Douglas Adams.

Sixth OVA Gunbuster humans with their LTL system are going to be a real bitch for the GE to properly defeat. Their weapons for all intents and purposes will turn Imperial warships into one-hit kills.
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Now granted, it's been a long time since I read comics, but I'm having a VERY difficult time seeing the GE overun by the Skrulls or Kree. The Shi'ar are a different story, maybe.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

Considering the span of those Empires (multi-galaxy if I recall correctly) and the kinds of things they go up against (Thor, various cosmic beings, Galactus etc.) I'd personally say they're more than a match.

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

IIRC, Hemlock was the one who brought up the "Principality of Zan", which was from a local comic book that was so obscure that nothing about it showed up on Google, initially leading some of us to think that he was just making it all up due to some personal grudge he had with anime.

It was so powerful it was boring.

Seriously, it was that masturbatorily over-powerful. It sounded like it could kick the Culture's ass six ways to Sunday. :roll:
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
DocHorror
Rabid Monkey

Post by DocHorror »

The Imperium of Man during the Great Crusade before Horus became corrupted.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

The Core & the Arm at the hieght of the empires. Or the Core at the end of Core Contingency when a Core Commander reactiveted & was about to use the Galactic Implosion device(using their own tech + some pointers from some Alien artifact)

Total Annihilation

Downtimers, who is humanity after ~10^32 years with typical real-life human development in tech(IMO these guys would own the Xeelee).

Manifold series
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
TrekWarsie
Padawan Learner

Post by TrekWarsie »

The Asgard from Stargate SG-1 could probably do it.
The Kold Empire from DBZ.
The Systems Commonwealth at its height in Andromeda might be able to do it.

Those are the only ones that I can think of at the moment.
Darth_Shinji
BANNED

Post by Darth_Shinji »

Civalation from EE doc smiths lensman series.
Skylark also from Smith.
Village Idiot: "Or why one person opinion's of another person doesn't mean squat in the large scheme of things"

"You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because your all the same."

"A Eater of the Sacred Cow"

"Mother Fucking Team Wrecker"
Thirdfain
The Player of Games
Location: Never underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State.

Post by Thirdfain »

The New Republic versus Beast thread didn't get very far, but I still hold that the Beast would have a chance -shrug-. It probably wouldn't.

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - )
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Re: Who can beat the Galatic Empire?

Post by Stormbringer »

von Neufeld wrote:2. The Fourth Empire, Dahak trilogy, David Weber
Only if they got better FTL. Reverse engineer Wars hyperdrives or something. Other wise the FTL problems would stalemate any conflict.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

The Affront could not only take the Galactic Empire they'd be eager to. (Culture-verse)

Whoever it was that drove Accualtani from their galaxy probably would be able to as well. (Muntineer-verse)

Democratic Order of Planets (DOOP) from Futurama. Insane FTL (a delivery ship can go the edge of the universe in an afternoon) and doomsday weapons out the wazhoo. Not to mention plenty of nitfy uber-tech like the gravity pump that can move stars (again on a delivery ship).
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Stormbringer wrote:The Affront could not only take the Galactic Empire they'd be eager to. (Culture-verse)

Whoever it was that drove Accualtani from their galaxy probably would be able to as well. (Muntineer-verse)

Democratic Order of Planets (DOOP) from Futurama. Insane FTL (a delivery ship can go the edge of the universe in an afternoon) and doomsday weapons out the wazhoo. Not to mention plenty of nitfy uber-tech like the gravity pump that can move stars (again on a delivery ship).
Hell, the Delivery ship doesn't actually move, it moves the universe around it. :P
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Alyeska wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:The Affront could not only take the Galactic Empire they'd be eager to. (Culture-verse)

Hell, the Delivery ship doesn't actually move, it moves the universe around it. :P
And they're lead by the evil that is Richard Milhous Nixon's head.
Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

Yogi wrote:Considering the span of those Empires (multi-galaxy if I recall correctly) and the kinds of things they go up against (Thor, various cosmic beings, Galactus etc.) I'd personally say they're more than a match.
Are you implying that the GE could not go up against Thor or Galactus? WTF? :?
delicious pies
Posbi
Padawan Learner

Post by Posbi »

The Solar Empire as of 3500 AD.
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

Demiurge wrote:Are you implying that the GE could not go up against Thor or Galactus? WTF? :?
I'll do the world a favor and skip with the implying.

Thor can defeat the Galactic Empire. He defeated a fleet of starships with planet busting power (unknown if it was individual, or collective, but either way that's stronger than a fleet of ISDs) and can fly from one end of the Galaxy to another in seconds. It might take time, but the GE goes down.

Galactus will utterly CRUSH the Galactic Empire. There is no chance in hell that the GE will even make Galactus flinch. The collateral damage from one of his fights was the destruction of an entire galaxy. He wields the Power Cosmic, making him essencially Pre-crisis Superman (Power Cosmic in Marvel is the "do anything" card.)

von Neufeld
Padawan Learner

Re: Who can beat the Galatic Empire?

Post by von Neufeld »

Stormbringer wrote:
von Neufeld wrote:2. The Fourth Empire, Dahak trilogy, David Weber
Only if they got better FTL. Reverse engineer Wars hyperdrives or something. Other wise the FTL problems would stalemate any conflict.
Yes, I did consider that problem myself. However, this will be a long conflict and I consider it likely that 4th Empire will get the SW hyperdrive tech duplicated before the SW galaxy is able to build and/or invent enough firepower to meet the 4th Empire head on.
Xenophobe3691
Sith Marauder

Post by Xenophobe3691 »

ggs wrote:Downtimers, who is humanity after ~10^32 years with typical real-life human development in tech(IMO these guys would own the Xeelee).

Manifold series
Those guys are insanely powerful, it isn't even funny. These guys wouldn't own the Xeelee. The Xeelee would take one look and run to their Ring. They are literal gods, they're immortal, they make their own sentient species' for fun, they create their own UNIVERSES just on a whim...
Yogi wrote: Asimov's Empire? (Debated twice. Asimov's Empire was favored.)
Foundation, Part 3 wrote: Two weeks ago an Anacreonian merchant ship came across a derelict battle cruiser of the old Imperial Navy. It must have been drifting in space for at least three centuries...It's a ship! They could build in those days. Its cubic capacity is half again that of the entire Anacreonian navy. It'a got atomic blasts capable of blowing up a planet, and a shield that could take a Q-beam without working up radiation.
Note how he said "Blow up." NOT melt the surface. Blow up.
Dark Heresy: Dance Macabre - Imperial Psyker Magnus Arterra

BoTM
Proud Decepticon

Post 666 Made on Fri Jul 04, 2003 @ 12:48 pm
Post 1337 made on Fri Aug 22, 2003 @ 9:18 am
Post 1492 Made on Fri Aug 29, 2003 @ 5:16 pm

Hail Xeno: Lord of Calculus -- Ace Pace