Doctor Who S34E2: "Into The Dalek" Spoilers

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Did you like this episode?

5/5
8%
4/5
51%
3/5
27%
2/5
11%
1/5
No votes
0/5
3%

Total votes: 37

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: Doctor Who S34E2: "Into The Dalek" Spoilers

Post by Batman »

Undecided. The Doctor is apparently still incapable of or too damn lazy to figure out how to properly pilot the TARDIS ('You sent me for coffee.' 'Three weeks ago. In Glasgow!'), he just manages to bungle it without all the bumping around. The Doctor looking old takes getting used to (some of us haven't seen oldWho so yes, that's irritating). I did like the jab at 'Fantastic Voyage' and the fact that the humans managed to kill at least one Dalek for a change and The Doctor trying to turn the Dalek into a 'good' Dalek and only ending up turning it into an 'Anti-Dalek' thanks to his own hatred of them was I think well done. Wonder if Soldier Girl will show up again. New eventual Companion perhaps?
I really hope they clear up this 'Heaven' thing soon.
3/5, including 1 point detracted for the old looking Doctor irritation. Otherwise, 4/5.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

He rarely does that anymore actually. Last episode and this one, he placed the TARDIS where and when he wanted. I actually think he chose to not come back for three weeks.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Which brings me to a point I don't like. They've really made the new Doctor an asshole.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I dunno. Yes, he was a high-handed arrogant asshat at the beginning, but he was also visibly stunned by Clara's 'I don't know' answer to 'Am I a good man' and Rusty calling him 'a good Dalek'. And frankly for the nuWho Doctors they never were nice guys.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Which brings me to a point I don't like. They've really made the new Doctor an asshole.
I would argue that the others are just as bad, this one's just way more upfront about it.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Which brings me to a point I don't like. They've really made the new Doctor an asshole.
Why? It's time for a change.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Its off-putting to have a protagonist insensitive enough to be rude to someone who's sibling has just died. But being a dick is nothing new for the Doctor.

And its not a change. Eleven was a dick too. Just a different dick.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

A nice change of dick now and then never hurt anyone.
Ahem.
I like the more acerbic edge, he still does mostly the right thing but he's quite a bastard along the way with it. Maybe Moffatt is cross-pollinating a bit from Sherlock. Just rewatched, Journey was pretty annoying IMO, 90% of her lines were very wooden and shouty. I'm actually kind of hoping Rusty comes back at some point, an anti-dalek dalek has some great potential for a character arc, if he (She? It? How does one refer to a single dalek?) continues his crusade.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Its off-putting to have a protagonist insensitive enough to be rude to someone who's sibling has just died. But being a dick is nothing new for the Doctor.

And its not a change. Eleven was a dick too. Just a different dick.
He was trying to be level headed in such a stressful situation, I'd have told her to shut the hell up too if our lives were still on the line.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

They were inside the TARDIS. Were their lives still on the line? I don't think so.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

A guy with multiple genocides under his belt maybe doesn't relate well to others?

I actually like that idea, especially if they run with it. He's played god a lot, so maybe it's time to ask that question of if it's all for the best.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Batman wrote:They were inside the TARDIS. Were their lives still on the line? I don't think so.
It could have been a possibility. He knew she was attacked, after all.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

JLTucker wrote:He was trying to be level headed in such a stressful situation,
Hmm, maybe. I got the impression he just didn't consider it important or relevant to the situation. Mind you, the Doctor's done that often enough as well, just not usually for that particular value of "stressful".
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

I wonder if Rusty will turn out to be the leader of the Spoiler
Dalek Rebels in the Doctor Who Experience. Admittedly they just seemed to be after the Paradigm's eye stalks on a platter
Enjoyed this episode significantly more than last weeks. I did wonder if when they spoke of a 'Good' Dalek they simply meant one that wasn't constrained by the enforced view of the universe, and capable of making choices. Has a slightly less moral meaning behind it, admittedly.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

I think the only real difference with this Doctor is that he has "lifted the veil." He doesn't try to pretend to be anyone, whether good or bad, he just calls it as he sees it.

I wonder if being on Trenzalore had something to do with it? He was in a truth field for 600+ years or so, maybe it affected his personality a bit? Or perhaps even though he's no longer in the field, he still speaks bluntly out of habit?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Lots of fun this episode.

Much as I liked episodes like Doomsday it's also nice to see a Dalek episode that doesn't have so many of them that some kind of super-effect is needed to dispose of them. Just one Dalek with a serious mad-on. They get to stay dangerous but you also see what while they're immensely lethal they're not totally invulnerable to the weapons of their opponents (just mostly so).

I liked the callback to Dalek to. I can only imagine the Dalek's complimenting him on how great a Dalek he is is intensely uncomfortable, and would like to second those who want to see more of Rusty the Anti-Dalek.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tribble wrote:I wonder if being on Trenzalore had something to do with it? He was in a truth field for 600+ years or so, maybe it affected his personality a bit? Or perhaps even though he's no longer in the field, he still speaks bluntly out of habit?
Or being in the truth field when he regenerated had an impact on the next incarnation.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Tribble wrote:I think the only real difference with this Doctor is that he has "lifted the veil." He doesn't try to pretend to be anyone, whether good or bad, he just calls it as he sees it.

I wonder if being on Trenzalore had something to do with it? He was in a truth field for 600+ years or so, maybe it affected his personality a bit? Or perhaps even though he's no longer in the field, he still speaks bluntly out of habit?
That's an interesting idea. It makes sense.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

I am rather impressed with the way this new Doctor is going even if it is still getting bogged down with the standard annoying plots.

The scene with the army dude getting zapped leading to the gunk room literally had me floored because of the Doctor's attitude.
Sacrificing someone else to save himself - The Doctor has strayed close to that and even followed through with plot white washing. I.E The guy jumping in to take the Doctors place to blow up the Sontaran ship.

When they went to the gunk room and the Doctor says something like: "Its the top layer if you want to say a few words"
I could not believe what I just heard. I wanted a more honest Doctor but that strays well into being vicious for no reason.

I liked the Dalek aspect although... The Daleks know who the Doctor is again so Rusty should have went ballistic knowing the "Predator" or "Oncoming Storm" or whatever bullshit they are making up is running around inside it. Don't really get why the Doctor only saved one person at the start... it is well within his capability to have saved all of them so again it appears he was being plot stupid or a complete bastard.

Otherwise, 4/5 from me.
-1 because of the irritating melodrama from Clara and the foreshadowy plot theme they are going with.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

So all the other stuff you objected to didn't merit knocking points off? The Doctor didn't sacrifice the Dude to save himself precisely. He was objecting to the guy firing the thing off but once he had, the Doctor was simply unable to save him. He used the situation to his advantage as best he could but he didn't intentionally get the guy killed.

And its seems to be clear that the Daleks don't know about the Twelve doctor. Or not his appearence anyway.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Crazedwraith wrote:So all the other stuff you objected to didn't merit knocking points off? The Doctor didn't sacrifice the Dude to save himself precisely. He was objecting to the guy firing the thing off but once he had, the Doctor was simply unable to save him. He used the situation to his advantage as best he could but he didn't intentionally get the guy killed.

And its seems to be clear that the Daleks don't know about the Twelve doctor. Or not his appearence anyway.
I do not object to the new Doctor's persona and I actually like it. My point of concern is they are going to pull the same shit that Tennant went through with his Timelord Victorious phase / angst about destroying Gallifrey.
Incidentally, has everyone forgotten that Gallifrey is literally in limbo and the Doctor does not seem to be making any effort to acknowledge his entire race is waiting for him to give them the message to come back ?
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

PREDATOR490 wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:Incidentally, has everyone forgotten that Gallifrey is literally in limbo and the Doctor does not seem to be making any effort to acknowledge his entire race is waiting for him to give them the message to come back ?
Eh, I think the point is that they're safe where they are for now. Series arcs never get regularly addressed in DW, just a few mentions here and there until the finale. And I have a sneaky feeling this 'Missy' woman is somehow tied to the Time Lords.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

Back in the 7th Doctor novels, personifications of abstract concepts such as Time and Death would make infrequent appearances.
I am forced to wonder if Missy is actually some form of Death, that really is the afterlife and it's all to do with the overall "Am I a good man?" question.

Maybe it'll go something like:
Doctor: "Am I a good man?"
Missy: "I think you should ask them." *makes sweeping arm gesture to the gathered crowd, who have all died due to the Doctor.*
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, what the hell is the Doctor's beef about Journey?

"Sorry, you can't go on a trip with me, because you enlisted in defending your species against a genocidal race of pepper pots, so I want to morally judge you for it and leave you here."
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Parallax wrote:Back in the 7th Doctor novels, personifications of abstract concepts such as Time and Death would make infrequent appearances.
I am forced to wonder if Missy is actually some form of Death, that really is the afterlife and it's all to do with the overall "Am I a good man?" question.

Maybe it'll go something like:
Doctor: "Am I a good man?"
Missy: "I think you should ask them." *makes sweeping arm gesture to the gathered crowd, who have all died due to the Doctor.*
I really hope not because it is fantastically annoying having all these enemies / plots try to enlighten the audience the Doctor is not a good guy / does bad shit yada yada without actually following through. Be it Davros somehow thinking he has achieved a victory revealing how the Doctor turns his companions into soldiers of time, River Song going on about how he lies or doesn't like being hit with the truth and the numerous instances of enemies / allies etc. seeing him as dangerous.

I did find the bit with Journey at the end to be a bit heavy handed since his attitude seems really unjustified. The new Doctor is interesting but I don't see them taking on a companion that would potentially challenge the Doctor this early into the new regeneration. When Clara leaves....
Of course, the most hilarious companion would be to get Rusty in for a period but then who would the series pander to by having a human perspective.
We already torched the fanbase that watched because of the romance drama angle.