Godzilla trailer

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Re: Godzilla trailer

Post by Gaidin »

ray245 wrote: Usually actors and actress are attracted by the quality of the script as much as they are attracted by the pay. Usually if you are able to attract a cast of actors and actress known for their acting ability rather than their body/fame, it is an indication that they think the script is worth their time.
I think Michael Caine put it best with regards to Jaws: The Revenge.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific."

Sometimes actors take a role because they haven't been in a role for a year and need to eat(David Straitharn), sometimes they think it might be fun(while he's not in this movie, Samuel L. Jackson is notorious for this), sometimes they might be contractually obligated(again, while not in this movie, Edward Norton near the beginning of his career was pretty near getting typecast as a villain due to this). A grain of salt for a Godzilla movie of all things isn't exactly inappropriate. Not with the last one.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Gaidin wrote:
ray245 wrote: Usually actors and actress are attracted by the quality of the script as much as they are attracted by the pay. Usually if you are able to attract a cast of actors and actress known for their acting ability rather than their body/fame, it is an indication that they think the script is worth their time.
I think Michael Caine put it best with regards to Jaws: The Revenge.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific."

Sometimes actors take a role because they haven't been in a role for a year and need to eat(David Straitharn), sometimes they think it might be fun(while he's not in this movie, Samuel L. Jackson is notorious for this), sometimes they might be contractually obligated(again, while not in this movie, Edward Norton near the beginning of his career was pretty near getting typecast as a villain due to this). A grain of salt for a Godzilla movie of all things isn't exactly inappropriate. Not with the last one.
Without a doubt. Although, the attempt by the director to attract an entire cast actors and actress known for their acting skills does reassure me that this isn't going to be a Michael Bay film. If you are only interested in creating a visual spectacle, you will not need to spend so much time casting and trying to convince a talented bunch of actors and actress to join you.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The actors can go hang, for all I care, I wanna see everyone's favorite radioactive monster stomping a city. At this moment, I am hoping the smoke and other effects hiding Gozilla are simply in the trailers, building up expectations as "The Hobbit" has done with Smaug. It's a nice effect, and one that is useful when you're still in the middle of coding the CGI, but a monster movie needs to Show the Monster.

Still, the Halo jumper's first view of Godzilla is priceless. That whole sequence of tiny falling red dots, versus the huge head and back looming up out of the buildings.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I'm kinda curious what a small squad of paratroopers are expected to do against Godzilla...
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Wing Commander MAD
Jedi Knight

Post by Wing Commander MAD »

Borgholio wrote:I'm kinda curious what a small squad of paratroopers are expected to do against Godzilla...
Eh, I wander what they expect any number of infantry to do against something that size. The only conceivable thing is them acting as forward observers providing targeting info, be it for conventional weapons or the macguffin that saves the day in the end. Even then considering what's happening I'd think a helicopter staying at a distance would serve just as well, maybe even better, considering that it won't have to navigate on foot the blasted hellscape the city appears to be.
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

Aircraft might not be able to spot it through the smoke/clouds over the city.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I thought that maybe Godzilla had been taking out anything aircraft size that came with in sight and the halo jumpers were smaller and coming from above the clouds. That still doesn't explain exactly what a bunch of lightly armed infantry are going to do, and I would wonder about the attention drawing smoke as well.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

I figure they're small targets, spread out so he can't get all of them. Plus it's San Fransisco, where the fog might disrupt visibility for random periods of time. Easier to have a squad just shadow him maybe.
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

My guess - as forward observers and possibly to laze/GPS tag the big G for a missile strike.

As others have pointed out, I hope this isn't some "estranged person get reunited with his family as a result of this disaster" type of movie. I wanna see Godzilla tearing sh&t up, people fleeing in terror, and either a godzilla-sized mecha or other kaiju do battle with him...

If the big G is taken down with a cruise missile, I'll be very upset...
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

I'm trying to remember, wasn't there some speculation about there being a second monster in the film for the G-man to fight?
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Two others actually, if what the producers leaked is accurate.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Gandalf wrote:
Dr. Trainwreck wrote:It would have come close to redeeming the fucking Nazi who thought 'Gupsy Danger' was a good name for the robot.
Did anyone involved with writing/production ever explain that?
The main writer apologized for it when asked about it. He named the robot after an airplane, the de Havilland Gipsy Moth, and somehow had never learned that "gypsy" is an offensive term. It was total news to him, and I guess to everyone else involved in the film? I imagine he seemed so confident, and the director was also ignorant of the connotations, so everyone else just rolled with it?
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
generator_g1
Jedi Master

Post by generator_g1 »

Darksider wrote:I'm trying to remember, wasn't there some speculation about there being a second monster in the film for the G-man to fight?

Larval Mothra / Battra?
My FLICKR page! :D
Remember, people, commas are your friends. Love them, embrace them, cherish them, and for crying out loud, USE them.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Or an entirely new one. Do they have rights to anything other than Big G himself?
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

I know there's no point heaping more negativity on the already-maligned 1998 Godzilla film, but I still remember back then I got so psyched up about it entirely because of this movie poster:
++http://i.imgur.com/U3ss1vw.jpg

Look at the size of the Humvees and Apaches around its foot.
I recall sitting in the theater thinking about the irony of the tagline "Size Does Matter", when the poster was practically false advertising!

For the same reason that riled me up so much, I'm really looking forward to this new one.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

One of the worst things about the '97 film was how small and weak Godzilla was, though they did rectify it somewhat in the subsequent animated series. At the very least this film doesn't have that problem.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Cykeisme wrote:I know there's no point heaping more negativity on the already-maligned 1998 Godzilla film, but I still remember back then I got so psyched up about it entirely because of this movie poster:
++http://i.imgur.com/U3ss1vw.jpg

Look at the size of the Humvees and Apaches around its foot.
I recall sitting in the theater thinking about the irony of the tagline "Size Does Matter", when the poster was practically false advertising!

For the same reason that riled me up so much, I'm really looking forward to this new one.
What was weird was how inconsistent the size felt. While there were parts where it did feel as big as it should have been (generally the parts before Godzilla was actually shown), once the military started chasing it it felt much smaller most of the time.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

I totally agree, Adam, the earlier "foreshadowing" scenes, like the huge fishing vessel with several huge gashes (that looked like giant claw marks), he looked properly sized.

After his complete reveal he suddenly seems to have shrunk, and even up to the point that they showed scenes where the characters found tunnels he had crawled through.. and the tunnels were really small, even smaller than his shrunken chase-scene size would have suggested. Ignoring the fact that Godzilla shouldn't be a goddamn burrowing worm, the inconsistency was very glaring.

Anyway, like Darksider said, this upcoming film isn't going to have a puny Godzilla, so here we go!
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The 97 American movie was an attempt to use the Godzilla label on an exceptionally bad Jurassic Park movie, that's why the monster was so small and weak, and why it ends with the raptor-baby spam. I suspect the movie didn't start out that way in development but was constantly pushed towards it.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
the atom
Padawan Learner

Post by the atom »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:
Gandalf wrote:
Dr. Trainwreck wrote:It would have come close to redeeming the fucking Nazi who thought 'Gupsy Danger' was a good name for the robot.
Did anyone involved with writing/production ever explain that?
The main writer apologized for it when asked about it. He named the robot after an airplane, the de Havilland Gipsy Moth, and somehow had never learned that "gypsy" is an offensive term. It was total news to him, and I guess to everyone else involved in the film? I imagine he seemed so confident, and the director was also ignorant of the connotations, so everyone else just rolled with it?
That's not terribly surprising. I don't think very many people in North America have much of a clue of what 'gypsy' means, or who the people it refers to even are. I certainly didn't until I saw somebody else have their head bitten off for using the term (which coincidentally was the first time I'd ever heard the term 'Roma').
"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste..."
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

jollyreaper wrote: The official word from del toro is its named after a classic aircraft but the argument then goes the aircraft was named after gypsies so therefore still racist.
Uhm... the plane may just have been named for this.

On topic, I'm digging Big G's design a LOT.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

SylasGaunt wrote:
jollyreaper wrote: The official word from del toro is its named after a classic aircraft but the argument then goes the aircraft was named after gypsies so therefore still racist.
Uhm... the plane may just have been named for this.

On topic, I'm digging Big G's design a LOT.
It wouldn't be a stretch that someone would complain that the aircraft was named after an actual insect, that was still named after gypsies. STILL RACIST! :)

Btw, does anyone who's actually familiar with the societies where Romani culture exists know how offensive the word is? Like, is it on the same level as the N-word and variants thereof?
It's easy to overlook the offensiveness of the name 'Gipsy Danger' when the Romani people aren't known outside Europe, but if the giant robot was called 'Nigga Danger', it's obvious that would draw out a huge resounding "WTF?!".

Wing Commander MAD
Jedi Knight

Post by Wing Commander MAD »

That is an interesting question Cykeisme, and I too wander if part of issue isn't cultural difference between at least certain parts of the U.S. and Europe, or an evolving of the term over time in the states perhaps due to the relative scarcity of Romani. Personally, I don't think I've ever heard the term used in a derogatory manner. The only context I've ever heard it used was describing a person seemingly prone to wanderlust. For example, my grandmother always liked to travel and go places, and I remember her commenting on more than one occasion that her friends/family always said that "She must have some Gypsy blood in her" to account for that.
Dr. Trainwreck
Jedi Knight

Post by Dr. Trainwreck »

Romani have an actual presence and history in Europe, were targets for the Holocaust, and still face massive discrimination in Eastern Europe. I've literally seen people holding protests because a Roma camp would be built outside their city and describing them as an infestation. The word gupsy is also used as a slur against anybody, Roma or not. Given the attitude towards Roma, I think you could compare it to 'nigger': everyone in the US once used Tarantino's favorite word without thinking how it could be racist.

So, Travis Beacham was more than a little insensate with the whole issue. Then again he's not European and he apparently apologized, so it evens out.
Ποταμοῖσι τοῖσιν αὐτοῖσιν ἐμϐαίνουσιν, ἕτερα καὶ ἕτερα ὕδατα ἐπιρρεῖ. Δὶς ἐς τὸν αὐτὸν ποταμὸν οὐκ ἂν ἐμβαίης.

The seller was a Filipino called Dr. Wilson Lim, a self-declared friend of the M.I.L.F. -Grumman
the atom
Padawan Learner

Post by the atom »

So I just looked it up, and according to wikipedia, Romani are apparently one of like, 11 ethnic groups the term 'gypsy' refers to.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gypsy
"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste..."