Movie Avengers againsts a Kaiju Attack

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Movie Avengers againsts a Kaiju Attack

Post by Zor »

In this scenario, the movie Avenegers find themselves in New York city when from out of the Ocean comes something rather unpleasant. Namely it is Knifehead, which plans on doing what Kaiju normally do to human cities, namely smash it up and eat it.

Can the Avengers stop the rampaging Kaiju before New York City is rubble?

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Fiji_Fury
Padawan Learner

Re: Movie Avengers againsts a Kaiju Attack

Post by Fiji_Fury »

Well... Captain America, Hawkeye and Black Widow would be rendered basically useless in this scenario except for helping to evacuate civilians. Difference from the movie then becomes that there's no foot-soldiers they can engage to buy time for those civilians.

That leaves us with the power trio: Hulk, Thor and Iron Man. Hulk, while strong, seems to have nothing on a Kaiju. He might be able to do some minor damage by hurting its eyes or pulling off scales or something... but by that point the damn thing is already in the city and collateral damage is beyond absurd. By the same token Iron Man (who could conceivably engage the Kaiju in the water) is pretty limited. Those jager mechs in the movie pretty clearly used MASSIVE force and energy weapons to cause harm to the Kaiju, and while Stark's armor has impressive durability, agility and strength/power projection we have to keep in mind the scale of the enemies that qualifies it as "impressive." Against the flying dragon things Iron Man had minimal effect except to draw them around toward the others. Thor on the other hand probably stands the best chance of dealing out some damage. Keep in mind his scale however. It's highly dubious he could inflict sufficient force and/or lightning damage to quickly deal with the Kaiju, meaning that again the thing will rampage through an urban area, causing possibly Man of Steel levels of property damage and death before it's stopped (and stopping it is still a big "IF").

I don't think the Avengers have the scale of power to stop one, at least not with out devastating collateral damage. It's a threat that's just beyond their demonstrated abilities (size/power, not horde numbers).
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

Based on Black Widow's and Hawkeye's past history and their fight on the SHIELD carrier, they seem to get along very well. Therefore, they are the best candidates on the team to drift and pilot Gypsy Danger together. While Cap is left to evacuate civilians by his lonesome, Thor, Iron Man, and Hulk hold off Knifehead long enough for Natasha and Clint to deploy Gypsy, who then soundly thrashes the kaiju with the help of the other three.
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

On the topic of Man of Steel, how would Big Blue fare against a Kaiju? He is going to be physically stronger and more resilient than any of the Avengers, but we do know that he's not invincible. Strong enough foes can (and have) literally beaten him to death.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Zor wrote:In this scenario, the movie Avengers find themselves in New York city when from out of the Ocean comes something rather unpleasant. Namely it is Knifehead, which plans on doing what Kaiju normally do to human cities, namely smash it up and eat it.

Can the Avengers stop the rampaging Kaiju before New York City is rubble?
I have not seen "Pacific Rim", so I don't know if this thing has any soft spots. I would expect that any of these heroes could conceivably try to get into an ear canal or eye socket and work their way to its brain.

Cap and Widow are the least equipped for an attack, so they would probably work crowd control, although Cap could possibly direct other Avengers in an attack strategy.

I guess the question is whether we think this monster could withstand an explosive arrow, energy blast, uru hammer, or rage monster right in the eye. If the answer is no, it could conceivably be stopped before it wasted more than a few blocks.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Borgholio wrote:On the topic of Man of Steel, how would Big Blue fare against a Kaiju? He is going to be physically stronger and more resilient than any of the Avengers, but we do know that he's not invincible. Strong enough foes can (and have) literally beaten him to death.
I think if a giant monster tried to do that, it would run into problems, being unable to apply enough force to Superman's body because he's too small to really get a grip on. Think about the relationship between a human being and a pebble- you're much larger, you can easily pick the pebble up and throw it, but you can't crush the pebble underfoot because your body tissue isn't hard enough.

It's like, the monster may be heavy enough that Superman can't lift it, in which case it could stomp Superman down into concrete- in which case he gets up out of a comical Superman-shaped hole in the concrete, because he's tougher than that. Someone as strong as he is and built on roughly the same scale might be able to beat him to death effectively, but something 100 times bigger than he is would have so much trouble just engaging him
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

I think Fiji_Fury covered how the battle would go pretty well. Thor and Hulk would probably annoy it, but just don't have the power to stop it.

So, with the Avengers ineffective, what happens when the Shadowy Council throws a nuke at Knifehead? How big a blast would be needed to take him down? I know Knifehead is a class 3, but the class 5 at the end of Pacific Rim took a 1 megaton nuke on the chin and was still kicking. No handy alien spaceship for Iron Man to throw it at either.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Hulk is the real wildcard here, and we haven't seen enough of what he can do in the movies to know how strong he can get. My guess would be that as he thrashes at the Kaiju and doesn't hurt it he'll just get madder and madder until he can start to do serious damage. The issue being how fast does he reach that point and how much damage will something hulk sized do even if he does get as strong as he needs to?

Thor also has a good shot simply owing to his godlike toughness. He could take the inside route, get swallowed and move on from there. Again it becomes a question of how long can Thor endure inside a Kaiju stomach and how fast can he do damage that actually slows the beast? Of course we know a normal man can survive at least some Kaiju stomach exposure so that might mean Thor's immune.

Iron Man, won't be able to do much, but he's smaller and more nimble than a jet and his weapons should be stringer than 20mm cannon fire if he dials up the juice. Perhaps he can annoy the beast long enough for Thor and Hulk to do what they need to do. Beyond that he's the best recon the team has.

The others should either help the civilians evacuate or wait in a command bunker and direct things from there.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Depending on the version of Supes, He can handle a kaiju. In Superman Returns, he was able to lift a massive island while being drained. He could do the same to Knifehead. Get a good grip and fly it into space. :)

As for Hulk, if this was Bana's version, he grows bigger and stronger the angrier he gets. I wonder how big he'd get if he lost it against the kaiju. :)

Movie Avengers Hulk, well, he's stronger than Norton's Hulk but I feel he's weaker than Bana's Hulk (so far). He'd get a few punches in but he won't do much.

Funny thought, if the Avengers somehow managed to defeat a kaiju attack, how long do you think it'll take before we see an Ironman Jaeger? :) lol
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Enigma wrote:Funny thought, if the Avengers somehow managed to defeat a kaiju attack, how long do you think it'll take before we see an Ironman Jaeger? :) lol
Not long at all- and given that Iron Man tech is more dangerous pound for pound than Pacific Rim tech (unless I miss my guess), this would probably be a very effective defense.

Although it's possible that not even Stark has the money to build on that scale without getting buy-in from outside sources of funding...
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

To help this out let's look at how the kaiju we know for sure were brought down without jaegers bit it.

Trespasser- 6 days of conventional bombardment + 3 tactical nuclear strikes.
Scissure- Unknown amount of conventional bombardment + 2 tactical nuclear strikes.
Reckoner- Unknown amount of conventional bombardment + multiple tactical nuclear strikes

There's also Meathead/Kaiceph who, given he's a pre-jaeger Kaiju was also likely killed via sunshine in a can.
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

Ted C wrote:I guess the question is whether we think this monster could withstand an explosive arrow, energy blast, uru hammer, or rage monster right in the eye. If the answer is no, it could conceivably be stopped before it wasted more than a few blocks.
Spoiler
In the movie one of the kaiju gets shot in the eye by a handheld flare gun which destroys the eye but doesnt appear to affect its fighting ability at all. This particular kaiju had 4 or 6 eyes cant remember which.
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Enigma wrote:Funny thought, if the Avengers somehow managed to defeat a kaiju attack, how long do you think it'll take before we see an Ironman Jaeger? :) lol
Not long at all- and given that Iron Man tech is more dangerous pound for pound than Pacific Rim tech (unless I miss my guess), this would probably be a very effective defense.

Although it's possible that not even Stark has the money to build on that scale without getting buy-in from outside sources of funding...
That's not a problem. The government (or SHIELD) will simply seize his tech and build whatever the fuck they want to build when they realize that this threat isn't going away. The question is whether his power source can actually work on a Jaeger. We see it power a person sized suit, sure, but something the size of sky-scrapers?
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Scrib wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:

That's not a problem. The government (or SHIELD) will simply seize his tech and build whatever the fuck they want to build when they realize that this threat isn't going away. The question is whether his power source can actually work on a Jaeger. We see it power a person sized suit, sure, but something the size of sky-scrapers?
He built his personal reactor based on designs for much larger reactors so it should scale up, plus he doesn't need to worry about it being non-toxic for a Jaeger to use it.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

The Arc Reactor can be easily scaled up, so I don't think it'd be an issue powering an Iron-man Jaeger.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Scrib wrote:That's not a problem. The government (or SHIELD) will simply seize his tech and build whatever the fuck they want to build when they realize that this threat isn't going away. The question is whether his power source can actually work on a Jaeger. We see it power a person sized suit, sure, but something the size of sky-scrapers?
SHIELD would at least try to get him in as lead project designer. He's got a track record designing humanoid battlesuits with very good user interfaces; why not put him in charge?
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

It always bugs me that certain Movie monsters seem to be made out of "Bad-assium" and immune to almost all things save Nukes...

Flesh is flesh. One would think most of these could be dispatched with a Mjolnir through the brain.
Does anyone think that their skulls would necessarily stop it?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Hasn't it been demonstrated many times that a skyscraper sized animal would have to be made of "badassium" in order to lift its own bodyweight? Resistance to nukes might be an exaggeration, but I don't think its that extraordinary for a kaiju or similar monster to shrug off conventional weapons.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Scrib wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:

How about actual skyscrapers, since Stark Tower in NYC was being test run off an arc reactor in The Avengers. The thing is basically a super miniaturised fusion reactor anyway, so there's no reason it wouldn't scale up (in fact, Tony making it man portable is the kinda thing that's hard and what DARPA and others have been trying to do instead).

As for badassium monsters, well quite. These things are not made from normal flesh and bone when they can move at all and not collapse under their own weight and suffocate. You need big game rifles to take down elephants and the like, so imagine something the size of a building and how tough it would be to mission kill rather than just maim.
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Scrib wrote:That's not a problem. The government (or SHIELD) will simply seize his tech and build whatever the fuck they want to build when they realize that this threat isn't going away. The question is whether his power source can actually work on a Jaeger. We see it power a person sized suit, sure, but something the size of sky-scrapers?
SHIELD would at least try to get him in as lead project designer. He's got a track record designing humanoid battlesuits with very good user interfaces; why not put him in charge?
Given Stark's character growth by the time of Avengers I could see him being the one to propose the Jaeger project. If we are looking at the crossover as a whole instead of just a single battle, maybe Kaiju Blue and other bits can be used by mad scientists to create their own, smaller monsters for all the other heroes to fight off. Bruce Banner, working day and night to solve the toxic Kaiju Blue contamination problem. I can dig it.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Flesh is flesh. One would think most of these could be dispatched with a Mjolnir through the brain.
Hell, Thor did exactly that in his own movie, punching a god-sized hole through a big gribbly's spine with about the same amount of effort one exerts hailing a cab.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

I don't think we ever really see an upper limit to Thor or the Hulk's strength in The Avengers.

And I thought of one really easy way for Thor to stop a kaiju in its tracks: Plop Mjolnir on its foot. It is not worthy so the hammer isn't going anywhere. At which point killing it is simply a matter of shooting it with something strong enough.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:I don't think we ever really see an upper limit to Thor or the Hulk's strength in The Avengers.
Does anybody know if the Ang Lee Hulk movie is considered canon WRT The Avengers? Because if it is, there's always that scene where he flings an Abrams tank several miles.
And I thought of one really easy way for Thor to stop a kaiju in its tracks: Plop Mjolnir on its foot. It is not worthy so the hammer isn't going anywhere. At which point killing it is simply a matter of shooting it with something strong enough.
Clever!
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

With the hammer on the foot thing, wouldn't a Kaiju just lift his foot and let the hammer tear a small chunk out of it? They don't seem to worry overly much about pain. I suppose it all depends on leverage and the ability to move yourself though the hammer.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:It always bugs me that certain Movie monsters seem to be made out of "Bad-assium" and immune to almost all things save Nukes...

Flesh is flesh. One would think most of these could be dispatched with a Mjolnir through the brain.
Given that their blood glows blue, is filled with ammonia and turns into worse, they can withstand nukes, and the fucking things can even live and walk around... It's probably not biological flesh. The only way for the Kaiju to exist is probably that they're some kinda cellular/nano technology and their bodies are built from hardier stuff than anything organic. Their bones probably being some kinda advanced nanomaterial that can actually hold up their bodies weights.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.