Leopard 2A7I vs RX-78-2 Gundam

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Re: Leopard 2A7I vs RX-78-2 Gundam

Post by Zinegata »

Gunhead wrote:The reasoning is this. The danger to a person standing in front of a cannon is not the round exiting the barrel primarily. It's the overpressure created by the expanding gasses coming out behind it. Now, some people deduct from this the Zaku ammo must be subsonic because otherwise dogdeboy would be torn apart. I don't think so since subsonic is under the speed of sound but still going around 300m/s and this is more than enough to create overpressure, which might be more survivable but you'd still get internal bleeding, burst eardrums and generally you'd not be feeling well, possibly it could be fatal.

Note: 300m/s is the round exiting the barrel, the gas coming out would be a bit faster if I remember correctly. I can't be bothered to dig out the numbers right now. The danger zone typically is roughly the 45 degree zone in front of the barrel and if it's a APFSDS round, it can extend up to 200m. For a HEAT or HE round it would probably be less, but it's pretty safe to assume if you're standing within 50m of the barrel, you are in serious danger of being mushed. This with modern day ammunition mind you.
This is why I was in favor of dismissing the whole incident as an outlier because no matter how low powered the Zaku gun is, it's still using some sort of chemical propellant to drive the round out of the barrel and this would be nasty for anyone standing so close to it. If we must take that clip as the bible truth, it takes a ton of magic tech / handwaving to make it plausible.
In other words, even the weakest subsonic round will probably still turn him to mush. Gotcha.
The drawbacks of subsonic ammo are primarily it takes for them ages to reach a target at range. That's about 3s to 1000m, 6s to 2000m and so forth, not counting for slowing down due to drag, arcing etc. For the purposes of vehicular combat, they're way too slow when you consider typical ranges are from 2000-3000m today and more depending on the weapon system used. You did see some pretty big low velocity HE sluggers like the Churchill AVRE in WWII to smash bunkers, but weapons of that type aren't useful anymore as we have more accurate, long range ways of chugging HE around. This is why HE / HEAT tank rounds have exit velocities of around 800m/s because that's the most the fusing mechanisms can handle, unless there have been some major advances in that field I'm not aware of.
Well, ages to reach a target isn't a big drawback when your targets are supposed to be slow-moving battleships in space where there isn't atmosphere to slow down the bullet anyway :D.
And Stark, read this. I used small words with just a few abbreviations for your benefit.

-Gunhead
Nah, just ignore him. He's back to troll mode.
Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

Stark wrote:Sorry I can't hear you over the radio saying 'if we take the clip involving a hugely foreshortened and distorted gun as bible truth'. :lol:

I'll set you a fun homework assignment; actually demonstrate the dangers of muzzle flash. I don't doubt they exist; but you have provided no reason to actually accept the existence of a danger that needs to be handwaved. I know evidence isn't a big thing for you, but I'm sure you can google it.

Nice irrelevant trivia, though!
Since you're stupid. Scroll down.
And I thought English was your first language, guess not. I just said in the previous post I was against using the clip and just before that I said that if we accept there is an animator error we can use the clip to determine stuff, even though there's not a lot there. Nice reading comprehension skills. I guess you fail basic physics too. If I use expanding gasses to drive a projectile out of a barrel, the gasses are not going to just disappear into some magic fairyland. Well maybe in your little deluded head they will.
Then when you consider the Zaku gun, how it behaves when fired, the muzzle flash and the fact that the ammunition is volatile all of this heavily suggest there's some sort propellant producing gas to drive the round forward, would mean there should be a real danger from the muzzle blast. In this one clip there isn't which doesn't mesh with other facts we know about the Zaku's gun.

Now, try bullshitting someone who has no idea what he's talking about, like yourself. You might even have a chance there.

-Gunhead
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

"And if you don't wanna feel like a putz
Collect the clues and connect the dots
You'll see the pattern that is bursting your bubble, and it's Bad" -The Hives
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Connor MacLeod wrote:I'll just chime in as a hopefully neutral party, and point out that there is nothing insofar as I am aware of that constitutes a canon policy for gundam, or anything even implied, so constructing some sort of 'methodolgy' for analyzing it is pretty much up to the individual. Lets keep that in mind, because its easy to get into arguments when people aren't on the same wavelength method-wise.
Also, because I finally found the "official" canon policy... (from a pretty old thread)

http://mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7298

Long story short: Yes, most of the "canon" actually resides in a grey area so there's plenty of room for interpretation. (The OP actually even goes on to explain that the idea of canon doesn't even really exist in Japan, and that their closest term is "official")

And FYI, the guy who wrote the OP (toysdream) is Mark Simmons, who wrote this:

http://www.amazon.com/Gundam-Official-G ... m+official

And he's still pretty much the Gundam's "official" writer for the English-speaking world. Pretty cool guy who still hangs out in MAHQ if you have questions.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Gunhead wrote:Since you're stupid. Scroll down.
It's ok precious; I know asking you to actually provide evidence is hard for you. I'm glad you can actually do anything beyond simply state things on your personal authority, though! You added something to a discussion that wasn't hot air! I'm glad you have supplied an extremely general statement that actually supports something you said.

I'm not interested in what your position is, unfortunately, because it's based on poo. You couldn't even be assed to present a fucking screenshot or rationale until specifically called out! I'd talk about your source but since it isn't about the Zaku machinegun at all I'm not sure it's relevant, which is why I asked you to post something like this. The overpressure that... clearly doesn't exist in the event in question... will do ... something? I know you think you're very clever, but 'sources' and 'evidence' are things like 'the show' and 'what we see' and not whatever Janes book you read or what Zinegata's pals made up one day. Can you provide any evidence at all to connect the performance of this (shape changing) gun to that of an Abrams? If you don't consider the event relevant overall, why do you say p funny stuff like 'hasn't been contested' and 'scale the bullet'? Because y'know, when I took some screencaps to demonstrate the dishonesty of posting just the clip above,

looks like presenting this as some kind of contemporary tank cannon is a bit silly. He might as well have used a clip from MSG and said the guns shoot frisbees.
Now, try bullshitting someone who has no idea what he's talking about, like yourself. You might even have a chance there.
Sorry, we're not actually talking about the cannon on an Abrams. :lol:

Hey Zinegata, I know you've heard this before, but I didn't attribute that argument to you. It isn't about you. You're not relevant. Connor showed me the thread this guy is resurrecting from SB. I was referring to people who aren't you. Your hint was (just like last time) that I referred to statements YOU DIDN'T MAKE. :lol:

PS 'A CERTAIN CLIQUE'. 8)
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Zinegata wrote:You do also realize that a low-velocity round with a lot of HE and HEAT explosive can in fact blow up tanks, and they're better at making 15m dust clouds than a pure kinetic energy shell, yes?
Look if you want people to believe you're not a moron you're going to need to actually read what you quote, as opposed to leaping to imaginary conclusions based on a fairly obvious persecution complex. Like the actual words you're reacting to are 'I'm not confident in my ability to eyeball 'subsonic', but since 120mm blow up tanks, throw up 15m dust clouds etc, if they're slow explosive rounds I don't really see how this is 'bad'.' You're imagining that he said something like 'because they can blow up tanks, throw up 15m dust clouds etc they simply cannot be slow explosive rounds'.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

Stark wrote: It's ok precious; I know asking you to actually provide evidence is hard for you. I'm glad you can actually do anything beyond simply state things on your personal authority, though! You added something to a discussion that wasn't hot air! I'm glad you have supplied an extremely general statement that actually supports something you said.
You posting shit robit videos isn't asking me to provide jack shit. Even a bottom feeder like you should grasp that much.
Stark wrote: I'm not interested in what your position is, unfortunately, because it's based on poo. You couldn't even be assed to present a fucking screenshot or rationale until specifically called out! I'd talk about your source but since it isn't about the Zaku machinegun at all I'm not sure it's relevant, which is why I asked you to post something like this. The overpressure that... clearly doesn't exist in the event in question... will do ... something? I know you think you're very clever, but 'sources' and 'evidence' are things like 'the show' and 'what we see' and not whatever Janes book you read or what Zinegata's pals made up one day. Can you provide any evidence at all to connect the performance of this (shape changing) gun to that of an Abrams? If you don't consider the event relevant overall, why do you say p funny stuff like 'hasn't been contested' and 'scale the bullet'? Because y'know, when I took some screencaps to demonstrate the dishonesty of posting just the clip above,
looks like presenting this as some kind of contemporary tank cannon is a bit silly. He might as well have used a clip from MSG and said the guns shoot frisbees.
Look dumbshit, if you hadn't been so busy trying to make me look like I was trying to bash firepower figures from your precious robit show, you could have gathered I found extremely silly that a gun that fires projectiles does not produce significant blast and the only reason for this to be is magic tech. It's contradictory to basic laws of physics and to a certain extent what we have seen about the weapons the robots carry. Again, for the benefit of your ameeba brain, I use tank guns to establish a measuring stick since there is a lot of information available on them. This against this I can estimate the differences in penetrating power, rate of fire and other things that you have obviously no clue about.
You're the one who wanted to do a comparison on the gun since you didn't agree that the robit MG was 120mm. To which I said "go right ahead". I'm still waiting to see you do it, not that it's really relevant to anything I said. I guess suspension of disbelief is a foreign concept to you also, I mean a "shape changing gun"?? Yea, go fuck yourself. But I'm sure you'll come up with totally convoluted and equally bullshit explanation for it.
Stark wrote: Sorry, we're not actually talking about the cannon on an Abrams. :lol:
And where did I claim they're 100% exactly the same? You wanted me to post proof of guns having a dangerous forwards blast when they fire. I did, while proving you can't even grasp the concept. Now you whine how the gun in the clip I referenced doesn't produce one, which was pretty much my original sticking point. You honestly think I blindly assume robot magic physics just because a two bit troll like you can't comprehend the basics involved in ballistics? In addition you trying to cling on visual evidence to make the distinction between a robit gun and a RL 120mm tank gun is hilarious.
You actually believe the guns in your shitty robit video shoot disks? I don't.
What I can say, having actually seen what a tracer round looks like going down range looks like, the visual representation isn't all that off, within the limitations of this being an anime.
This is the picture in question and I'm talking about the clip it's from.

-Gunhead

Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

You could have simply avoided this by saying 'I didn't actually say that' on the last page when he suggested you'd said the thing which he thinks you said but actually didn't. Or actually reading. You would all be served by reading.

e: I mean seriously you actually think Stark's saying that gun literally changes size, as opposed to attacking the usefulness of the scene based on the warped perspective and the fact that the gun is hugely out of scale relative to other shots in the same episode (and indeed the whole franchise). He even speculated on whether the weird size and shape might be the result of a simulated camera effect.
What is Project Zohar?

Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

TL;DR:

Stark trolls deliberately, using half-baked and barely literate arguments. I predict that his friends will come in and pretend he isn't. Ford shows up as predicted and pretends that calling me an idiot makes up for the fact that Stark's argument is not trolling, half-baked, or barely literate.

Maybe he need to actually grows up so that his friends stop needing to "translate" (in reality spin-doctor) for him?

Again, who are you fooling here pretending that you aren't just backing each other up? Seriously?

Shit like this:
Look if you want people to believe you're not a moron you're going to need to actually read what you quote
Is complete and utter nonsense when Stark is, has stated, in this thread, that he is deliberately baiting people:
Yes, I am baiting you.
So really, fuck you and your attempts to pretend Stark "technically" wasn't aiming the comment at me; when you know damn well he was baiting. If that's your actual line of reasoning, then technically speaking his entire "contribution" here in this thread is exactly as Gunhead already outlined - nothing more than useless thread-shitting - but you deny even that to Gunhead, pretending that the onus was on him to "avoid" the argument.

Really, it's boiling down to your retard clique doing the plain old standard Testingtard method of debating - demonize anyone you can't beat by incoherent arguments; and then pretend you weren't actually arguing when you get caught.

Crying about me "flying off the handle" and you're innocent of being a clique is getting old. Stop trying to insult people's intelligence with the blatant self-denial of your shit "debating" tactics. It's that obvious.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Don't be such a big baby. It's obvious that you've been incorrectly attributing things left right and centre: there is cast iron evidence that at least once you actually literally invented an argument that doesn't exist. Why not just calm down?
What is Project Zohar?

Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

And yet you never actually denied that Stark was in fact baiting and that you're covering for him. You have to squeeze in to that realm of technicalities where you accuse me of "attributing" things when in fact what I stated was exactly what you were doing.

Good to know that you once again have to resort to Testingtard style petty name calling when you get caught to distract people from the obvious and blatant trolling. Really, who do you think you're still fooling? Are you really that self-delusional? :lol:
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Zinegata wrote:you accuse me of "attributing" things
It has long since passed 'accusation' and gone right into 'proven absolutely'. Like even now you're just making things up.
What is Project Zohar?

Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Is this the second or third thread which was potentially interesting to me that ends up getting killed by an argument over whether Stark is an bad man or not? I mean I can understand people getting into arguments with him over point of view things - violent conflicting argument is a SDN tradition (not one of its GOOD ones, but still a tradition I suppose), but it amazes me people can continue to cling to that 'RAR SARCASTIC BASTARD HATES EVERYTHING' notion, because I used to see it - then I got to know him better, and then I didn't see it.

but hey, I guess that just makes me one of those spin-doctoring, delusional retard-clique friends trying to cover up the evil reality, or something.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Now in an effort to drag this away from becoming yet another STARK IS A BAD PERSON thread, I'm going to actually make one last attempt at salvaging something like discussion.
Gunhead wrote: I think the more removed the series you're watching is from real life, it becomes more muddled since you have to take in what people say at face value, inconsistent descriptions of events and base calculations on less than solid sources. So that's when you'd have to use all three you've described there. At which point you basically have to achieve some sort of consensus what is considered "canon". If you can't then it will probably just degenerate into a shouting match with people trying to dig up examples of the most MEGATONNES!
Whilst you technically make an accurate point, I think its very much a 'point of view' thing as to what is 'REAL LIFE.' I think its pretty self evident from various threads had on here pertaining to 'realism' and hard sci fi that people tend to have a pretty wide definition of what that all encompasses and don't always agree. Quite often I think the assumption about 'realistic' tends to assume that human beings are going to act like fucking logical robots, rather than as evolved (and sometimes irrational) monkeys. This is important, I think, because what 'makes sense' can depend very much on the context you decide to take - one thing could 'make sense' in a political/diplomatic or human/irrational context, yet make no sense in a so-called 'rational' manner, and in theory this shouldn't be wrong but I do think there is a general perception that things should be 'rational' and discount the human/irrational side of things (which in my mind can include politics, religion, and many other ventures relying on human thought and communication.)

On top of that is that it can be muddled by the knowledge pool (or limitations) of the people involved, their general flexibility, emotional investment in the series (and how it manifests), and a whole slew of other factors that can skew debate/analysis. Consensus is a part of it too as you mention, and that can definitely be dangerous (esp if its a group consensus 'defining' things.)

Ultimately it ocmes down to terminology and interpretation being sometimes tricky to deal with, because you can't control how other people will react to or interpret something, and that creates so many potential 'failure points' when it comes to analysis you almost have to be flexible about it. Again this is from personal experieince in my working with 40K. Odd as it sounds, the less seriously I took it and the less invested in MY point of view being the right one I got, the easier it got to deal with this shit. The same would be true in Star Wars too if you could break some of the ritualized bullshit (EG STar wars either has the biggatons or doesn't, NO OTHER ANSWER. Or whether it really has fuckton huge numbers of starships as implied by the deaths tar. Or whatever calculation/belief you care to consider.)

Hmm.. That's a tough one. I think a person with a different perspective could see my point of view and how it fits the evidence while still holding his conclusions better. It really comes a matter of opinion then and at that point it's a case of agreeing to disagree. If someone holds a preconceived notion of something, he's probably going to be much more unwilling to see it from my perspective. Kinda hard to put your finger on it really.
It IS tough, because as I said before - you can't control how people interpret your words and what ideas it conjures in their head. In a virtual enviroment like this one, bereft of visual and audio cues to go on, interpretation is VERY difficult and if a person is careless in phrasing their ideas and concepts, misunderstanding and misinterpretation can be very easy to achieve, especially if people couch their inferences in 'past history/past behaviour' - which itself can be dangeorus, since people do change. Heck, I know I've changed quite a bit in my attitudes over the years and still am.

What I try to do with this, and part of what lead to the 'magic bullet' stuff you derided earlier, is forcing myself to adopt different ideas just for the sake of pushing it outside of any potential comfort zones or 'absolutes' I might cling to. Its kinda second nature for me to think 'well this is how things make sense to me the most, so thats how I want it to be' but that can be misleading depending on what its based on. Partly its a sort of 'test' to see how well those ideas stand up when contrasted with alternate views, partly its just to hedge my bets because its always possible one idea will fail (they quite often have for me, so having backups helps) and partly because it defuses potential arguments because I'm able to adapt/incorporate ideas better than other people might be, even if other people view those answers as 'silly'. Because again, people will usually view things differently and you can't change that short of mind control.

This is where it, to me at least, it becomes a numbers game. Saying that x is more powerful than y is less than useless when y is a broad category. Even if you'd make it x is more powerful than the U.S army M256 120mm tank gun, you're still not really telling me in what way it's more powerful. That's why you often see something described as more effective against x when you read professional material on weapon systems. The problem is, that in RL too we have several gauges to what is considered more effective. Something like grenade x having more explosive in it than grenade y is straight forward, but when you start looking at blast, shrapnel radius, penetration... it becomes a lot more difficult.
That is indeed a problem with alot of 'analysis' and vs debating, and falling into looking at things just 'one way' is a fairly common trap - one I've fallen into. 'energy' figures (Esp BIGGATONS) in debating and analysis is a prime example, as more often than not it is used (intentionally or unintentionally) more as a scorekeeping system (EG the person who can dish out or absorb more ENERGY is clearly the superior force.) which can be misleading if oyu don't think about it in a more complex, multiple approach manner (eg neglecting force/momentum, for example, which is something many sci fi fans still do I've noticed.) Heck we had a prime example of that earlier in this thread, I think. Its also why I've come to rely less more on single figures and more on ranges and trends in the numbers.. the more data you have the better it is, generally, which perhaps explains my attmepted completionist approach to things.

And that's why I honestly don't believe you can ever, in any fiction, reach a state where you can solidly explain everything about their weapons. The RL measurements for this stuff are not 100% and when you're analyzing fiction, you get slapped with less than stellar examples to draw data from, lots of singular instances and other stuff which basically reduces your analysis to the level of and educated guess. It can be a really really educated guess though if you can get enough to go on with or you can rule out the contradictory stuff.
Nope. Its definitely a piecemeal process. But for me thats part of the charm. I honestly enjoy the 'puzzling out' bits, and I suspect most sci fi fans who do 'analysis' whether its of existing franchises, or part of some fanfiction, or hard sci fi stuff... they like the worldbuilding and puzzling whether they realize it or not. So 'solving it all' can actually be counter-productive. It never hurts to have some more mysteries you can come back to and puzzle out later, and I actually find that having to adapt or change previously held assumptions is more enjoyable for that reason. It keeps the whole experience alot more organic and interesting.

And precision is definitely anathema to sci fi stuff in the vast majority of cases, but that's hardly a problem either, as that means it can also be adaptable. Again its a perspective thing. I think this is sort of where obsession with 'canon' can be deceptive - the idea that you NEED everything explained out in precise, absolute (and realistic) detail and you need everything within a rigid framework can do more harm than good really. It risks turning something that is a hobby into religious dogma, really.

While recoil would be an issue, we rarely get good enough data to really gauge the effects on joints, recoil absorbers etc. To really evaluate this, we'd need some solid non derived data on the materials used on the robots / vehicles, which we rarely do. That's why we're stuck with for the most part just accepting the "well it didn't break, I guess it's tough enough" approach. Same goes for exotic ammo / propellant etc. We can only really gauge the effect it has and then draw some conclusions on the exact type of the round and so forth. In a sense, the assumption that say a .50cal round in scifi is the same as ours is both wrong and correct. It's wrong because we might not know what the round is made out of, what's the propellant etc. It's right in the sense that it's a good place to start your comparison with. All and all, I think here too the problem is what I referenced earlier. Penetration figures etc. are not 100% accurate and again if you slap on all the baggage that comes with analyzing a piece of fiction, you are can get estimates and that's about it.

One of the more neglected aspects is heat. All guns cause heat and with big automatic guns, that becomes a major issue really fast. I'd peg that above recoil when it comes to non trivial issues we get in scifi all around but specially in robit stuff.

-Gunhead
Yeah thermal effects are a non trivial consideration. Most people assume 'certain amount of energy = TNT explosion' even though that's not neccesarily true - it depends on how its handled/delivered. What's more, it can ignore LONG TERM effects: I think its fascinating to consider how dangerous long term effects of 'high energy' warfare, industry, etc. may impact society (its something that is an important consideration in Real life, for that matter.) If you have one of your stereotypical 'agricultural worlds' engaged in a war, dumping huge amounts of energy via firepower into it may acutally be a bad idea because of what it does to said enviroment.

I always considre recoil a good starting point for many things because, if for no other reason, its a more conservative limitation than most. Like with 40K tanks - recoil has always been a huge limiting factor there, but its very difficult to effectively handwave away the problems inherent in it, and even if you do huge recoil can actually still be counter-productive (if it makes the tank rock with every blast, that's going to throw your accuracy all to hell, etc.) But in alot of fiction where you have 'RAILGUNS' or analogues (like Mass Effect) I've seen people posit ludicrous firepower figures (or equivlaencies. 'at least .50 BMG or better' seems to be a lower limit there.) with total disregard to the issues of recoil.

Which basically comes back to interpretations, inferences, and method really, and how adaptable you are in all of those, and how many different perspectives you can (and are willing) to consider.

In the context of Gundam and the machine guns, there's another consideration that just occured to me - sometimes we see them ejecting casings, but I dont always remember them ejecting casings. Like with the 'variable barrel sizes' or velocity issue (as well as the lack of effects we'd associate with firing such a big, powerful gun.) there's lots of ways to take it. the traditional 'visuals over dialogue' type approach is one, which requires explaining it (no matter how hare brained the idea.) Or you could throw out some visuals (even though this has to be handled carefully, lest you create contradictions when it comes to interpreting OTHER visual evidence.) Or you may disregard visuals and go with the dialogue/fluff (which has its own interpretation pitfalls.) and of course you could try to hybridize some form of the above (or any other approach one can think of) which is okay as long as you can manage to make it reasonably consistent. I think its pretty obvious there's a consensus that this is an abnormal/outlier feat of SOME kind, but the disagreement really stems on how one should analyze/rationalize the incident (or more particularly, which is 'best'.) even though all potentially can rationalize it.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Zinegata wrote:What's wrong with subsonic ammo in the first place?
Nothing, unless you're trying to assume that's what it ALL is, and that was precisely the assumption stemming from the SB thread and that one particular gif of Shiro. I think it was also noteworthy (for example) they kept harping on how easily mobile suits were taken out by shoulder launched rockets which means MOBILE SUITS ARE WEAK TO REAL LIFE MILITARY HOO-RAH. (which is pretty much how it goes with ANY fictional force that isn' t absurdly over the top or 'nerd approved' like the Culture or something.)

Again, it bears remembering the gun was originally supposed to be used in space against relatively stationary battleships. Subsonic ammo with little casing and huge amounts of explosive content (making it a powerful HE or HEAT round) makes a fair amount of sense in this setup; especially since it will greatly minimize a lot of the heat and wear issues with the barrel.
Uh, the machine guns were meant to be used on starships? I've never heard of that. The bazookas maybe, but I kind of question the idea that the machine guns were meant as 'anti-starship.' nevermind mobile suits never really demonstrate the level of firepower a starship can throw out - they specialize in close range, precision attacks, much like warships vs attack craft in 40K, or fighters vs STarships in Star Wars, or tons of other fiction I could think of.
And do note it doesn't prevent the 120mm having different types of ammunition, which explains other cases where the 120mm doesn't act the same way. You were on to something when you asked if beam rifles could be affected in different ways by atmospheric (or even deliberate disruption) factors to explain away the differences in beam rifle performance. Why not assume the problem in this case is with the ammunition and not the gun?
Why assume its any one particular thing? Its generally more easy to say in fictional analysis 'we don't know' than it is to say 'we know.' which is why being absolute about things is generally a recipie for disaster and/or making yourself look foolish (and I've made myself look foolish plenty of times that way with the 40K stuff. CF tank gun firepower/energy weapons.) Getting caught up in specific models or paraidgms of how things SHOULD work and then insisting they must work that way is a recipe for disaster (cf trying to treat 40K like its star wars and analyzing it the same way Curtis analyzed Star Wars. Tried that early on, and it didn't really work all that well. The Rogue Trader stuff only clinched the deal there.)

As far as 'canon' goes 'gray area' is pretty much synonymous with 'no canon' as with 40K, and this is hardly a bad thing, as having to adapt ones thinking to canon 'rules' (as with Star Wars) actually can do more harm than good. I've seen far too many 40K fans rage over how 40K JUST DOESNT MAKE SENSE because some arbitrary definition of what is 'canon' was violated (which is just nerdspeak for 'I dont like the changes and I hate they changed the stuff I like.') Necrons are a prime example of the sort of bitchfest (my favorite actually, as I was arguing against a good deal of the ragefests that stemmed from that one. My favorite is how the critics literally WANTED to adopt the most literal, canon-obsessed approach to interpreting things like the FTL simply because it justified their hatred.)

Its also safer to go that way because people have inconsistent views with how we take 'personal statements' from people - again that is something that can backfire (the most ludicrous example here is wookiepedia shoehorning an offhand joke name for Motti from ANH mentioned in a Conan Obrien interview with Lucas. BUT GEORGE SAID IT, SO NOW ITS CANON.)
Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

Connor MacLeod wrote: Whilst you technically make an accurate point, I think its very much a 'point of view' thing as to what is 'REAL LIFE.' I think its pretty self evident from various threads had on here pertaining to 'realism' and hard sci fi that people tend to have a pretty wide definition of what that all encompasses and don't always agree. Quite often I think the assumption about 'realistic' tends to assume that human beings are going to act like fucking logical robots, rather than as evolved (and sometimes irrational) monkeys. This is important, I think, because what 'makes sense' can depend very much on the context you decide to take - one thing could 'make sense' in a political/diplomatic or human/irrational context, yet make no sense in a so-called 'rational' manner, and in theory this shouldn't be wrong but I do think there is a general perception that things should be 'rational' and discount the human/irrational side of things (which in my mind can include politics, religion, and many other ventures relying on human thought and communication.)

On top of that is that it can be muddled by the knowledge pool (or limitations) of the people involved, their general flexibility, emotional investment in the series (and how it manifests), and a whole slew of other factors that can skew debate/analysis. Consensus is a part of it too as you mention, and that can definitely be dangerous (esp if its a group consensus 'defining' things.)

Ultimately it ocmes down to terminology and interpretation being sometimes tricky to deal with, because you can't control how other people will react to or interpret something, and that creates so many potential 'failure points' when it comes to analysis you almost have to be flexible about it. Again this is from personal experieince in my working with 40K. Odd as it sounds, the less seriously I took it and the less invested in MY point of view being the right one I got, the easier it got to deal with this shit. The same would be true in Star Wars too if you could break some of the ritualized bullshit (EG STar wars either has the biggatons or doesn't, NO OTHER ANSWER. Or whether it really has fuckton huge numbers of starships as implied by the deaths tar. Or whatever calculation/belief you care to consider.)
I can't really think of a lot to add to that.
Connor MacLeod wrote: It IS tough, because as I said before - you can't control how people interpret your words and what ideas it conjures in their head. In a virtual enviroment like this one, bereft of visual and audio cues to go on, interpretation is VERY difficult and if a person is careless in phrasing their ideas and concepts, misunderstanding and misinterpretation can be very easy to achieve, especially if people couch their inferences in 'past history/past behaviour' - which itself can be dangeorus, since people do change. Heck, I know I've changed quite a bit in my attitudes over the years and still am.

What I try to do with this, and part of what lead to the 'magic bullet' stuff you derided earlier, is forcing myself to adopt different ideas just for the sake of pushing it outside of any potential comfort zones or 'absolutes' I might cling to. Its kinda second nature for me to think 'well this is how things make sense to me the most, so thats how I want it to be' but that can be misleading depending on what its based on. Partly its a sort of 'test' to see how well those ideas stand up when contrasted with alternate views, partly its just to hedge my bets because its always possible one idea will fail (they quite often have for me, so having backups helps) and partly because it defuses potential arguments because I'm able to adapt/incorporate ideas better than other people might be, even if other people view those answers as 'silly'. Because again, people will usually view things differently and you can't change that short of mind control.

That's why it's important to try and maintain some form of civility and maintain the debate. In fact more so here since we have no rules against rude language, which is how it should be mind you. Having some formal rules regarding language will just force people to play nice, instead of them actually trying to be nice. The ability to say fuck shit etc. is good for the reasons you described. It helps to convey your mood and take on things without causing it to come to blows so to speak. I do not speak english as a native language and the same goes for a lot of people here. Even though I can convey complex ideas in english, I have more than once faced a problem when I have to "translate an idea" to english while keeping the original intent intact. And even people who do speak english as their native language, they often speak and think very differently. And this may sound self evident, but it's not really. Hm... this is again hard.. Ok, it's like this. I speak and understand english, but my mindset is Finnish and thus when I read english, I take into account I'm talking with a foreigner and I'm on some level aware he might not think like I do. If a person who speaks english is talking to another native english speaker, he might assume they also share the same mindset, when they more than often will not. And I think we see it on this board as well, the more people are aware where the other person is from, they adjust what they say to make themselves more understandable to them. Which is a good thing. Yeah, I know this thread has some harsh words said on by me too and I'm willing to put them behind me.
Connor MacLeod wrote: That is indeed a problem with alot of 'analysis' and vs debating, and falling into looking at things just 'one way' is a fairly common trap - one I've fallen into. 'energy' figures (Esp BIGGATONS) in debating and analysis is a prime example, as more often than not it is used (intentionally or unintentionally) more as a scorekeeping system (EG the person who can dish out or absorb more ENERGY is clearly the superior force.) which can be misleading if oyu don't think about it in a more complex, multiple approach manner (eg neglecting force/momentum, for example, which is something many sci fi fans still do I've noticed.) Heck we had a prime example of that earlier in this thread, I think. Its also why I've come to rely less more on single figures and more on ranges and trends in the numbers.. the more data you have the better it is, generally, which perhaps explains my attmepted completionist approach to things.
I agree, and would add few more to that. It stems from the usually badly defined parameters what qualifies as a "win". Sometimes it's intentionally, or unintentionally skewed against one side or is otherwise just a fight happening for some arbitrary reason in some arbitrary place. Taking the opening post of this thread as an example, it's a classic X vs Y FIGHT! thread with just token information on the participants, an arbitrary place for the fight and even the defined win condition is vague and makes no sense. If your desire is to find out if vehicle X is better than Y, you should take vehicle X and place it in a scenario that usually has vehicle Y in it, and then you figure out if X could do a better job. Because all vehicles have their own niche and capabilities and just slapping them on a contrived battlefield is basically asking for MOAR MEGATONNES!! Sure, some vehicles are more versatile than others, but then it's more of a question why even bother.
Connor MacLeod wrote: Nope. Its definitely a piecemeal process. But for me thats part of the charm. I honestly enjoy the 'puzzling out' bits, and I suspect most sci fi fans who do 'analysis' whether its of existing franchises, or part of some fanfiction, or hard sci fi stuff... they like the worldbuilding and puzzling whether they realize it or not. So 'solving it all' can actually be counter-productive. It never hurts to have some more mysteries you can come back to and puzzle out later, and I actually find that having to adapt or change previously held assumptions is more enjoyable for that reason. It keeps the whole experience alot more organic and interesting.

And precision is definitely anathema to sci fi stuff in the vast majority of cases, but that's hardly a problem either, as that means it can also be adaptable. Again its a perspective thing. I think this is sort of where obsession with 'canon' can be deceptive - the idea that you NEED everything explained out in precise, absolute (and realistic) detail and you need everything within a rigid framework can do more harm than good really. It risks turning something that is a hobby into religious dogma, really.
I think this is related to what I said above. People should focus on more manageable chunks and not try explaining it all at once. With series with even a moderate amount of published material, you get contradictions, mistakes and all that. Now with say.. Star Wars.. ye gods. The amount of stuff out there is enormous. Even with a published canon policy the stuff is all over the place. It reminds me of the monkey circle theory. It's silly to assume you can make sense of a galaxy of stuff at once. And then you get Star Wars Vs. 40K FIGHT!.. Yes, I'm sure that one instance of more derkatonnes will be the deciding factor. But I guess it's understandable, when confronted with something that baffles our imagination, we focus on the pieces we can make sense off. Nothing wrong with that, but sometimes it causes to people to lose sense of scale.
Connor MacLeod wrote: Yeah thermal effects are a non trivial consideration. Most people assume 'certain amount of energy = TNT explosion' even though that's not neccesarily true - it depends on how its handled/delivered. What's more, it can ignore LONG TERM effects: I think its fascinating to consider how dangerous long term effects of 'high energy' warfare, industry, etc. may impact society (its something that is an important consideration in Real life, for that matter.) If you have one of your stereotypical 'agricultural worlds' engaged in a war, dumping huge amounts of energy via firepower into it may acutally be a bad idea because of what it does to said enviroment.

I always considre recoil a good starting point for many things because, if for no other reason, its a more conservative limitation than most. Like with 40K tanks - recoil has always been a huge limiting factor there, but its very difficult to effectively handwave away the problems inherent in it, and even if you do huge recoil can actually still be counter-productive (if it makes the tank rock with every blast, that's going to throw your accuracy all to hell, etc.) But in alot of fiction where you have 'RAILGUNS' or analogues (like Mass Effect) I've seen people posit ludicrous firepower figures (or equivlaencies. 'at least .50 BMG or better' seems to be a lower limit there.) with total disregard to the issues of recoil.

Which basically comes back to interpretations, inferences, and method really, and how adaptable you are in all of those, and how many different perspectives you can (and are willing) to consider.

In the context of Gundam and the machine guns, there's another consideration that just occured to me - sometimes we see them ejecting casings, but I dont always remember them ejecting casings. Like with the 'variable barrel sizes' or velocity issue (as well as the lack of effects we'd associate with firing such a big, powerful gun.) there's lots of ways to take it. the traditional 'visuals over dialogue' type approach is one, which requires explaining it (no matter how hare brained the idea.) Or you could throw out some visuals (even though this has to be handled carefully, lest you create contradictions when it comes to interpreting OTHER visual evidence.) Or you may disregard visuals and go with the dialogue/fluff (which has its own interpretation pitfalls.) and of course you could try to hybridize some form of the above (or any other approach one can think of) which is okay as long as you can manage to make it reasonably consistent. I think its pretty obvious there's a consensus that this is an abnormal/outlier feat of SOME kind, but the disagreement really stems on how one should analyze/rationalize the incident (or more particularly, which is 'best'.) even though all potentially can rationalize it.
Well, heat and recoil are not so distant cousins. Some interbreeding required. When you think about recoil, you have think beyond just the power output of the gun. Take for example various shows with something like 100-200mm guns firing at ... something like 300rpm. Now, many think you can just take a machinegun and upscale it. No, you can't. It's obvious when you think of the mechanics involved. Each round has to be individually loaded and fired. This takes time as the action works. The bigger the round, the longer it takes.
We can see this already with guns as small as .50cal. Those fire way slower than say a machinegun made to fire 7.62Nato rounds.
You can fidget around the problem by electrical feeding, etc. But the basic problem doesn't go away. Then there's the heat issue. If we assume the only heat source is the mechanical loading of the gun and the recoil of the firing you still get massive heat build up and those get worse if you have to absorb the recoil into something to make the gun fire faster. After all that, you have to do something about the heat generated from the mechanism that propels the round forward. This sets some hard on limits how fast and how powerful rounds a gun can fire. Of course, SF can just handwave all these away, and that's fine, but I'm just illustrating the misconception often seen that recoil is just something that affects accuracy.

Visuals vs. dialogue is tricky. Visuals overall might be a better way to go, because they usually have more consistency built into them. I think you basically need at least two sources to validate something, possibly more if there's something contradicting it. Of course, this again goes right back to achieving some sort of agreement on what are considered outliers and are not valid. Then again, this is a lot easier if you limit the pool all together where examples can be drawn from. Like "Ok, could IG 4th regiment from novel X win a fight against mechas from Gundam something or the other taking place in Ep 4 of the series. You can use any novel where 4th regiment appears and the IG codex and for the Gundam you can use the whole series". Because if you'd say IG vs. Gundam FIGHT! You'd get, yet again, "Oh but in the novel "Horus Hairacy" the lasguns are at least 10 biggietons".
When all else fails, you employ common sense. I know, it's not canon but what can you do. It's totally inane to go "Oh but this clip proves their guns are useless", when the same scene would also "prove" that the guns used by big robots against other big robots ...are useless against other big robots. Yeah, I know we've been there, and I'm not proud of it really. Hell, we've all been there and I'm pretty sure there's a T-shirt about it.

-Gunhead

Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Connor MacLeod wrote:then I got to know him better
And therein lies the problem. I don't care how he treats you and how you know him better; especially given that he doesn't actually snark or bait when you talk to him in this very this thread unlike this responses to me or Gunhead.

So really, stop wasting everyone's time covering up for Stark, which is what you're really doing despite your attempts to pretend this is just a Stark witch hunt. You see no problem with him because you're not the one getting blatantly baited; or you don't care because you're "used" to him which means jack squat to me because I don't know him and more importantly don't care to know him better because nothing in my interaction with him shows me he is anything but an enormous jackass.

That is all. If you don't want him to be treated as a troll, then he better stop being one; instead of having his friend counter-accuse everyone of calling out his thread-shitting as merely "flipping off the handle" or making wild conspiracy theories. You are fooling no one.
Nothing, unless you're trying to assume that's what it ALL is, and that was precisely the assumption stemming from the SB thread and that one particular gif of Shiro. I think it was also noteworthy (for example) they kept harping on how easily mobile suits were taken out by shoulder launched rockets which means MOBILE SUITS ARE WEAK TO REAL LIFE MILITARY HOO-RAH. (which is pretty much how it goes with ANY fictional force that isn' t absurdly over the top or 'nerd approved' like the Culture or something.)
Those people are clearly being silly. All you really need to look at is the Dom's 300+kph speed and you'd know that Mobile Suits are capable of agility far and above the "slow easy to kill robot" assumptions.

Why do you assume I agree with the people who insist on the ALL part and have to make a long-winded post on it?
Uh, the machine guns were meant to be used on starships? I've never heard of that. The bazookas maybe, but I kind of question the idea that the machine guns were meant as 'anti-starship.' nevermind mobile suits never really demonstrate the level of firepower a starship can throw out - they specialize in close range, precision attacks, much like warships vs attack craft in 40K, or fighters vs STarships in Star Wars, or tons of other fiction I could think of.
Why not? Taking down fortifications often boils down to dumping as much HE on it as possible. Moreover, close-ranged precision attacks allow HE to be shot at weak points.
Why assume its any one particular thing?
Why do you keep assuming that I'm assuming only pushing one thing? Really, you wasted a wall of text lecturing me on how alternate theories/gray canon is good when I in fact I generally agree with you on these principles from the get-go even before any lecturing.

Again: I threw out a theory, not a monolithic must-be-right declaration. This is why I ask why others think subsonic ammo is not the answer. Why do you think I said "Gotcha" when Gunhead explained how subsonic ammo could not work?

Stop assuming I am making "must-be-right-declarations" just because I have an "authoratative"' tone of posting. That's just you making blanket assumptions about me, which is ironic given how you keep telling me to stop making blanket assumptions about Stark.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

Since space warfare at the start of the OYW wasn't just confined to open space battleship slugfests but had significant appearance inside or on colonies, there's another possible reason for the machine guns' characteristics (and if it's already been mentioned and I missed it, I apologise). High velocity AP rounds would run the high risk of accidentally blowing out the walls of a colony, especially with the fire rate we see. Additionally, since Zeon has a monopoly on heavy armour with in space stations at the start of the war from what I remember, you don't need any armour piercing capabilities. Low-velocity solid shot and high explosive should take care of any needs.

While anti-ship usage may have been a goal of the machine guns in development, do we see this pan out in practice? From what I remember, most anti-ship kills at the start of the war are from the nuclear bazookas, not close range machine gunning, right?
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Gunhead wrote:Well, heat and recoil are not so distant cousins. Some interbreeding required. When you think about recoil, you have think beyond just the power output of the gun. Take for example various shows with something like 100-200mm guns firing at ... something like 300rpm. Now, many think you can just take a machinegun and upscale it. No, you can't. It's obvious when you think of the mechanics involved. Each round has to be individually loaded and fired. This takes time as the action works. The bigger the round, the longer it takes.
We can see this already with guns as small as .50cal. Those fire way slower than say a machinegun made to fire 7.62Nato rounds.

-Gunhead
Your statement got me thinking... how to the rapid fire mortars avoid the heat and wear issues? I recall in a previous thread with Skimmer how 82mm and 120mm mortars could actually fire very quickly (something like 1 round every 3-5 seconds), and all you really need is to piss on the mortar to keep it cool.

Jogurt->

Yeah, the "for use in-colony" idea sounds plausible too.

MGs against battleships is a mixed bag. I can only speak for in-game animation and say that in some series (e.g. Ghiren's Greed) they use bazookas, but in others (e.g Char's Counter-attack) Char used MGs to sink ships. There was that series on the Loum though which I haven't watched (MS Saga was it?) and there may be more answers (or questions :P) there.
Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

Zinegata wrote: Your statement got me thinking... how to the rapid fire mortars avoid the heat and wear issues? I recall in a previous thread with Skimmer how 82mm and 120mm mortars could actually fire very quickly (something like 1 round every 3-5 seconds), and all you really need is to piss on the mortar to keep it cool.
Rapid fire mortars don't really fire all that much faster than a conventional mortar. You can get about 15 rounds out of a 120mm mortar in 60s. That's 1 in every 4 seconds. Vasilek 82mm automatic mortar can do double that, which is not a whole lot faster considering you can fire about 20 rounds per minute from a standard tube fed 81mm mortar. AMoS can get 16 rounds in 60s, but that's from two tubes. Individually they're in fact slower than a conventional 120mm mortar.
So you don't really need to give heat and wear any extra considerations, you just pace your firing so the weapon has time to cool. Mortars are low velocity guns and this means less heat generated by the firing process when compared to artillery pieces for example.
As to pissing on a mortar to keep it cool... Yes I've heard the same thing, but I personally don't think the cooling effects are that meaningful. Maybe for the 60mm stuff, those have a lot less metal to cool. But when you think about it, you get something like 0.3L of piss per guy, and if you're using a 81mm mortar, you're trying to cool a 20kg slug of heated metal. Haven't exactly calculated it, but on the face of it sounds pretty useless.

-Gunhead