Stompy Robot Time: Pacific Rim

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Re: Stompy Robot Time: Pacific Rim

Post by weemadando »

I really do look forward to there being some long form explanation of what the hell is up with the two man controls.

Or maybe they'll just ignore it entirely, because two man controls are just how things work.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

But they do kinda explain it. It's memories and human heart and shit.

They could have Idris Elba say it was because of instructions from the Dead Sea Scrolls. I'd still watch it.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

i'm going with the much more ominous spare parts theory :)
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Dargos
Jedi Knight

Post by Dargos »

Dumb theory time. Gypsie Danger is a semi obsolete jeager regulated to training new pilots (tandum controls instructor/student) pressed back into emergency frontline service after massive losses. I know stupid idea.
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Dargos wrote:Dumb theory time. Gypsie Danger is a semi obsolete jeager regulated to training new pilots (tandum controls instructor/student) pressed back into emergency frontline service after massive losses. I know stupid idea.
A trainer should only need one pilot to be operational (since the other set of controls could just idle and not do anything), but that's still a nice idea.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Here is something to consider.

In the last preview I counted 6 or 7 individual monsters that the robots attacked. If they devote a good amount of time to each battle things are looking good for more "RAR! ROBOT SMASH!" action and less humans running around with drama.

Because when it comes to soemthing like this, I don't care 'that' much about Plot so long as I get the promised ROBOT SMASH! action.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

In the last preview I counted 6 or 7 individual monsters that the robots attacked. If they devote a good amount of time to each battle things are looking good for more "RAR! ROBOT SMASH!" action and less humans running around with drama.

Because when it comes to soemthing like this, I don't care 'that' much about Plot so long as I get the promised ROBOT SMASH! action.
I just hope half of the movie isn't major flashback over years of first the monsters appearing, humans defending with conventional weaponry, then inventing robits, then montages of robits fighting monsters, leading to the main Gypsy Danger plot. Sounds like a three-hour plotline even if done right, I hope they show each fight from start to finish.
Ignoring that, this movie looks fun. I'm keen to see it and see just how crazy stupid the action in it gets. And then probably scream about how Del Toro had to make this instead of At The Mountains of Madness.
All the services I read a few years ago pointed to how disappointed Del Toro was that ATMOM was canned before he shifted to this. If Pacific Rim takes off it may be all a studio needs to hand him his due to continue with his pet project, so this flick has earned my money for the sake of Lovecraft alone.

EDIT: Anyone know what's up with the fluid in their helmets? Is that some fluid breathing system, or an attempt at inertial dampening?
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

TOSDOC wrote:
EDIT: Anyone know what's up with the fluid in their helmets? Is that some fluid breathing system, or an attempt at inertial dampening?
I would imagine both, since there's little need for inertial dampening if one can't breathe it. It may also help with neural connections, a la NGE.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

I'm guessing that it will go even further towards NGE and have the Jaegers actually be captured monsters encased in metal and shit, with two pilots necessary to control (inadvertently) the BEAST WITHIN!
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:
TOSDOC wrote:
I would imagine both, since there's little need for inertial dampening if one can't breathe it. It may also help with neural connections, a la NGE.
Good point, should've caught myself typing that. I thought they might need a fluid breathing system to dive down in the trench and close up the portal, but then I realized their cockpit doesn't look very flooded. Maybe it is just neural juice.
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

It would help if the cockpit got flooded at depth, but it really would be more useful in stopping the pilots being smushed by kaiju hits to the head. I imagine if you're fighting using tankers as batons, then you're going to take some pretty hefty g-shocks.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Oh, and so much for GLaDOS being removed. They subtly changed her voice, but otherwise it's easily recognisable. I don't know whether I'd trust her over the Magi.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Grumman wrote:
Dargos wrote:Dumb theory time. Gypsie Danger is a semi obsolete jeager regulated to training new pilots (tandum controls instructor/student) pressed back into emergency frontline service after massive losses. I know stupid idea.
A trainer should only need one pilot to be operational (since the other set of controls could just idle and not do anything), but that's still a nice idea.
In general, if an aircraft or other combat vehicle can operate with two people at the controls, it probably should. Two sets of eyes are more likely to notice something (even to notice something on an instrument panel). Two people mean they can take turns doing a complex, involved task while one man has the chance to rest up.

Another possibility- it's some kind of pilot/missileer or pilot/radar operator setup, with two sets of controls that specialize in different things.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

weemadando wrote:I really do look forward to there being some long form explanation of what the hell is up with the two man controls.

Or maybe they'll just ignore it entirely, because two man controls are just how things work.
Do you have a problem with 'mind melded through memories'? :lol:
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Guys it says in the fucking trailer that its controlled through a mind meld of two people.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Memories are a convenient framing for flashbacks! Two people obviously have more human spirit than one! Someone watched G Gundam = movie finished.

All that remains for me is how much screen time is wasted in a) 'epic' sad humans giving context to the struggle of the human heart and b) robit top gun.

Maybe someone saw 0083 and robit top gun will be sweet... But I think it'll be the matrix instead.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I also want to know how superfly-ed out Ron Perlman fits in.

I'm going with eccentric genius creator of the robbitz.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I was going to say obviously leader of Neo Tokyo, but the monsters don't actually appear to be very good at killing people and nobody appears to live underground in militarised and desperate societies fighting for survival with the aid of plucky heroes and literal vehicles for human courage.

Maybe they left the street lights on or that stuffs all in flashback.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

The trailer does hint that we win... UNTIL WE DON'T. So maybe some bright eyed boffin came up with "Hey guys: giant robits. Thank you." and we kicked arse. Then, suddenly, the aliens are playing for realz. And then we get owned.

Or something. It could be that we start off holding our own, then get more desperate as we begin losing it and Earth gets trashed. We already see Gipsy Danger get smashed up badly.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Man, going with a "sorry, earth is fucked, we've lost" ending would be classic Del Toro. But a big studio release couldn't so that. Unless there's a post credits sequence with super secret base no.2 and in there, ARE EVEN BIGGER ROBBITS.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Are you serious? The trailer shows that monsters attack, robots beat them up yay triumph, then oh noes ROBITS defeated, movie opens as plucky heroes must use last shit robit to save mankind.

Maybe they learned not to put their heavy and slow ROBITS IN THE FUCKING OCEAN. Maybe through the power of the same hologram interfaces as used in every movie for a decade they can now actually dodge.

I wonder if the lack of weapons is due to poor agility making them ineffective.
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Stark wrote:Memories are a convenient framing for flashbacks! Two people obviously have more human spirit than one! Someone watched G Gundam = movie finished.
Thanks Stark, now if they don't summon the power of love in the shape of the King of Hearts I will be terribly dissapointed in this film :P
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Look I think it's a shame they won't have a tequila-themed robot. But that's the cost of 'realism' apparently - what realism has to do with this movie remains to be established.

It's ironic that people who watch robot stuff think that this movie needs a good plot to succeed and people who just wasn't nonsensical BATTLEPRON actively hope it doesn't have one at all. :lol:
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Stark wrote:It's ironic that people who watch robot stuff think that this movie needs a good plot to succeed and people who just wasn't nonsensical BATTLEPRON actively hope it doesn't have one at all. :lol:
I don't think any of them would mind a well-told story to accompany the stompy robits. I would guess they just don't want Transformers again. "Here's the robits we sold this movie on. But you'll get to see them later. First, watch this whinyeverydaydouche and the sluttyhotchick be horrible for an hour!"
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

There are video game cutscenes and YouTube clips waiting for those people. There certainly needs to be a context to prevent the action being literally meaningless, and I think it's interesting that the standard of robit media is such that those not wholly ignorant expect an interesting and meaningful framing of the punch up. We can hope that we don't get typical event movie unnecessary exposition and shit, but I'm not sure it's fair to expect it to be much better than typical American monster/robit/event movies (Christ it's like a trifecta of fail).