Elysium Trailer Out

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Elysium Trailer Out

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

From Mr. Blomkamp. Promising to do for the 99% what D9 did for, uh, prawns (South African black analogues).

I think Copley needs his name on the poster if he's going to be an integral part in the whole story. It's not like he is totally obscure now and he is a fine actor. I also dig the designs for just about everything Blomkamp does, and I hope Weta do replicas for sale, since I never did save up pennies for the exosuit from D9 they made.

The exoskeleton Maaatt Daaamon wears is a bit like the HULC one LockMart is trialling.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Re: Elysium Trailer Out

Post by Zor »

The website

I am rather fond of the Robot designs.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Just my luck the only trailer I watch this year is wholly generic.

All I want to know is does nanoman have a bow? Bows are so hot right now!
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Stark wrote:Just my luck the only trailer I watch this year is wholly generic.

All I want to know is does nanoman have a bow? Bows are so hot right now!
No... but there's a sword!

This is just the first trailer anyway. I expect we'll actually get more details closer to August, for at the moment, it's a very basic idea with some nice shooty shooty in it.

I remember the first Iron Man 3 trailer didn't really do much for me or show anything to make me have to see it. That said, I hate trailers that sum up the film in two minutes too.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I don't usually bother but I wanted to see if it looked like District 9, and it appears to look exactly like District 9. It's a shame they went for clumsy Olympus stuff and not the inverted 'space colonisation driven by the poor and undesirable' thing. I guess you can't have Space Rich being evil then.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

It must be a culture thing, given Gundam and various other Japanese sci-fis portray the poor as being shipped off to live in O'Neills while the rich stay on a lush and verdant planet.

Of course, it's probably a damn sight easier to build an Elysium torus and ship the rich up there than it is the other way round. And we're not doing Earth any favours, so just use it as a resource for your new gods in the sky.

Hate you, Space Rich.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Building a single habitat is also basically useless as anything other than a really sweet hotel; it's not space colonisation, doesn't need a huge investment in space infrastructure, etc. Its just a modern place to put the rich houses up on the sweet hill.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Pretty much. The fluff websites for the companies that build it does state they will make more tori, though. The problem is, you're less likely to be mugged in space because you have a nice watch and suit, but you're still relying on those dirty Earthicans to supply you with your luxurious life.

So unless they find a way to live it up large without worrying about stuff on Earth, they're simply in another gated community that can burn just as easily as the Roman oligarchs' did.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

I wonder how different this film will be from other sci-fi films like total recall.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The idea of a gated rich community?
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

The Space Rich have a massive trash compacter, they periodically launch the compressed garbage at Earth as kinetic-kill vehicles and have even developed a scoring system for how close they can get it to cities. Bonus points if it destroys a school, hospital, church or orphanage.

Damn you, Space Rich!
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Ahriman238 wrote:The Space Rich have a massive trash compacter, they periodically launch the compressed garbage at Earth as kinetic-kill vehicles and have even developed a scoring system for how close they can get it to cities. Bonus points if it destroys a school, hospital, church or orphanage.

Damn you, Space Rich!
You best not be joking. I want this in the film. I hope champagne and caviar are aplenty when they watch the re-entry feed.

Also, new Total Recall. I have been tempted to see this, if only to assess how bad it is that the only saving grace I see in it is Cranston appearing at some point. STRAK, have you seen it? Advice, please.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I'm not Stark, but I've seen it. If it's on Netflix and you have Netflix, watch it, otherwise don't bother. It's not good, and so much work went into it that it's not a disaster, but it's just an overall sense of Meh.

Also, there seems to be only one British person in London.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

FaxModem1 wrote:I'm not Stark, but I've seen it. If it's on Netflix and you have Netflix, watch it, otherwise don't bother. It's not good, and so much work went into it that it's not a disaster, but it's just an overall sense of Meh.

Also, there seems to be only one British person in London.
It's got cool-looking visuals, at least. *shrug*
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Brother informed me they have a lift from the UK to Australia. I can't think of a more awesome thing. Or something more hideous as an engineering challenge.
MrDakka
Padawan Learner

Post by MrDakka »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Brother informed me they have a lift from the UK to Australia. I can't think of a more awesome thing. Or something more hideous as an engineering challenge.
Yup there's a gravity train which is featured rather prominently.
Needs moar dakka
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I read Battle Angel Alita.

It was this, but with characters. Hell, even the OVA was this, but with characters, and that wasn't particularly good.

James Cameron needs to stop sitting on that license until they invent cyborgs and make that damn movie.
jollyreaper
Jedi Master

Post by jollyreaper »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Pretty much. The fluff websites for the companies that build it does state they will make more tori, though. The problem is, you're less likely to be mugged in space because you have a nice watch and suit, but you're still relying on those dirty Earthicans to supply you with your luxurious life.

So unless they find a way to live it up large without worrying about stuff on Earth, they're simply in another gated community that can burn just as easily as the Roman oligarchs' did.
Knowing nothing about the fluff beyond what I saw in this trailer, it looks basically like the social situation from Battle Angel Alita. Can they make it interesting? I don't know. I'm not really impressed from the trailer. Looks like Terminator Salvation. :( The Damon power armor looks really underwhelming. Would love to be surprised but am not really expecting to be.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

FaxModem1 wrote:Also, there seems to be only one British person in London.
Well they did move all the rich people in the world there.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Guys, this is just the first trailer. Remember the first trailer to D9? No, I don't either. It was vague and suitably generic, I had to look it up again to remind myself. The second was far better, but it ran into that problem of showing too much to the point of giving half the damn thing away.

I never really thought of the Alita parallel. Given Cameron isn't making that film any time soon, this is as good as it will get. And given Blomkamp's previous work, I'm looking forward to it.

Also, I'd not call what Damon's wearing "power armour". It's an exoskeleton, but there sure isn't any armour.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

He doesn't have a bow, so he's not a very modern hero anyway.

And I mean I'd never see this in the cinema anyway, but I don't really see what the hook for the movie is. I don't want to play SDN Invents The Movie Plot, but I already saw D9 and I actually watch real scifi too, so this doesn't seem very interesting to me.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

I can understand that. I'm only really aware of this because I heard of ideas he was floating after the success of D9, and I wanted to see if he could replicate that success in a similar style. It does look suitably generic, like someone got a sci-fi shooter and put it on screen, but I want to believe there's more to it than that. If it can do a class warfare story that rivals D9's racism one, then it'd be worth a ticket in my book.

I'm actually more interested in Copley rather than Damon in this. I doubt he'll be as memorable in this as Wickus was, especially since I can't see the emotional resonance being there or the redemption story when he's just a bounty hunter (and now I'm thinking of Djimon Hounsou in The Island vs. Ned Stark).
fusion
Jedi Knight

Post by fusion »

I don't know, this seems to be very suited for a game. It's like they took a story writer for games and told him to write a screen play for movies. :?