Question: What Is The Largest Fictional Spacecraft

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

DieselJester
Youngling

Re: Question: What Is The Largest Fictional Spacecraft

Post by DieselJester »

If we're talking movable craft: I'm voting for Dolza's Fortress in the Robotech/Macross series. I use Jeff Russell's website as a cool tool for comparing sizes whenever I get in the mood to do crossover fanfic. :)

http://www.merzo.net/index.html
"Incoming Fire has the right of way."
-Murphy's 18th Law of Combat.
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

The interior dimensions of the TARDIS have never really been explained, apart from them existing in their own dimension which is linked to (but separate) from our own. Pocket dimension, whatever you wish to call it. Exact size? Never said. Limitations? Never said. From what we have seen (The Invasion of Time, for instance) the interior dimensions are huge. Big enough that certain parts of the TARDIS haven't been used for centuries and even the Doctor can sometimes get lost in them if he isn't paying attention.

Personally, I'd just put it down to the interior dimensions are as large as the TARDIS wishes them to be/can be bothered allocating enough power to create them or even as a reflection of the TARDIS owners own mind (symbiotic link and all that). The interior dimensions don't seem to require main power to maintain (as we've seen on occasion, when the TARDIS loses main power the interior dimensions simply don't collapse). They can be regrown/remade if damaged or destroyed, even made to look completely differently as we've seen throughout the show.

So how big are TARDIS interiors? The size the story requires them to be, I guess.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

So not ten billion light years and thus not competitive.

You could just as easily say the interior is slightly larger than the BBC building. :lol:
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Stark wrote:You could just as easily say the interior is slightly larger than the BBC building.
I'm sure there's room for a disused quarry or two in there as well.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I'm surprised that no one mentioned Dahak or those Fourth Empire planetoids. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Probably because they're already at the 'absurdly extra-galactic size' and 'self-contained worldships' level. If you're not at least the size of Saturn, don't bother showing up. Shit, isn't Unicron the size of Saturn? LOL!
Omeros
Youngling

Post by Omeros »

Jack Williamson's second Legion of Space book features the Cometeers, a race who control a forcefield-enclosed 'vessel' which is twelve million miles long.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Stark wrote:Image
Holy fucking shit, what the flying fuck?!

This should have effectively destroyed any further attempts at discussing the topic.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

how about lens verse, I seem to recall ships that used stars as ammunition....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Cykeisme wrote: This should have effectively destroyed any further attempts at discussing the topic.
Yes well it IS an Anime after all ;)
But it doesn't REALLY count as a "Spaceship"
Read my comment from earlier, about the show
To be "fair" the TTGL and the "Chu" TTGL existed in some "between the 11th and 12th dimension" in a place where mental will basically become physical form, so any laws of physics goes right out the window. So yeah in THAT Place, a giant robot/ship a billion light years tall? No problem...
So it isn't really "Real" sadly.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

It pretty clearly exists. Next we'll hear that spiral energy isn't 'real'. :lol:

And the joke is that when you're ten million light years tall, you don't need a spaceship... you can just walk.
andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

Stark wrote:Surely there's bigger stuff than this in Xeelee or Culture wank?
Apparently not.

Wikipedia says of Bolder's Ring:
All matter in the universe was falling towards the object's massive gravity well. Even more astounding, this object and indeed the entire motion of the galaxies themselves appeared to be the work of the Xeelee, who were using the mass to create a ring of cosmic strings several million light years in diameter.
So it looks like it perhaps out-masses your giant green robot, but it's certainly much smaller.
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"