Doctor Who S32E6, "The Almost People" [spoilers]

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

How do you rate "The Almost People"?

5 - It's just so astonishing. You are Salamander.
27%
4 - They have orders to kill at the slightest sign of resistance.
38%
3 - The Abbot of Amboise. He hates us all.
29%
2 - Instantaneous biological metacrisis, I grew, out of you.
2%
1 - But you can't go round wearing copies of bodies!
4%

Total votes: 48

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Re: Doctor Who S32E6, "The Almost People" [spoilers]

Post by NecronLord »

Shroom, would it be too much trouble to actually refer to characters by thier names damnit? Desto? I assume you mean Doctor Who #9. But I don't honestly know for sure?
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Yes man, since Eccelston also played Destro in GI JOE. :P
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Yes man, since Eccelston also played Destro in GI JOE. :P
Seriously? I thought Destro was short for 'Destroyer', seeing as Eccleston's Doctor was responsible for destroying his own species. Still, not my fault, never saw G.I Joe. :lol:
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:And those promo pics are off the wall! EVERYONE HAS SWORDS! :lol:
I noticed in one of them Rory has a sword AND a gun.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Broomstick wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:And those promo pics are off the wall! EVERYONE HAS SWORDS! :lol:
Cue the Doctor giving everyone dirty looks and complaining about guns...
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

PREDATOR490 wrote:
Broomstick wrote:
Cue the Doctor giving everyone dirty looks and complaining about guns...
There's a lot less dirty looks about that for this Doctor. He references it but is pretty flippant, in Day of the Moon.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Eleven: River? Chaps in the suits. Five Rays rapid.

Eleven is very at easy with people getting shot. To the point that his backup plan was 'let River shoot everyone if they don't surrender straight off'
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The Doctor doesn't like guns and prefers not to use them, but he certainly acknowledge that sometimes they're darn useful.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

OH, and by the way - someone put together a montage of the Doctor actually using guns of various sorts over the years: link

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

No... the Good Man will be either the Black Man we see leading the Omega (?) troops, or his counterpart. It won't be Rory.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

Have we seen that blue alien before? Something about that scene seemed familiar
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Broomstick wrote:OH, and by the way - someone put together a montage of the Doctor actually using guns of various sorts over the years: link
Sorry, I just had to mention. Right at the end of that video, Baker snaps some poor sods neck without a moments though and runs off... :lol:
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

lance wrote:Have we seen that blue alien before? Something about that scene seemed familiar
He's the guy who sold a vortex thingamajig to River in The Pandorica Opens. The upper class of shady space fences.
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Raxmei wrote:
lance wrote:Have we seen that blue alien before? Something about that scene seemed familiar
He's the guy who sold a vortex thingamajig to River in The Pandorica Opens. The upper class of shady space fences.
Yep.

"Fresh off the wrist of a time agent..."
opens box, frowns, hands it back to the flunky who gave it to him
"I said OFF the wrist!"

dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

One thing I didn't like was the casual way he blew up the fake Amy.
Also have you noticed every time there is anything related to the doctor or his race it get blown up or left behind.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Sharp eye. That blue guy did look familiar, and now that you mention it... man. Time agents!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

Captain Spiro wrote:
Jon wrote:Was there any meaningful character development the 'real' Amy has missed out on this season then? How long has she been a duplicate?
I think it might, just might have been when the Silence took her from the orphanage, and when she woke they said she had been there 'many dayssssss'.
No. It was before that. The first time she saw eyepatch lady was in the door when she was poking around the orphanage. Also, she told the Doctor she was pregnant in episode one of the season, and then in episode two (which was three months later), she didn't look pregnant at all, even though by that stage she should have been about 4 months along, minimum, and should have been at least beginning to show a bit of a bump. The first thing I thought when I saw episode two was "hmm... she's not pregnant anymore... oh, hang on. She's being chased by a bunch of dudes." She also tells the doctor at the beginning of the episode that she's not actually pregnant. This all means that the swap happened sometime between episode one and episode two, or possibly in the warehouse at the end of the first episode.
dragon wrote:One thing I didn't like was the casual way he blew up the fake Amy.
Well, it could be that he has the technology to reassemble her there on the TARDIS. I rather expect that to be the case, since he implied to the ganger Doctor that there was a chance of survival at the end of the last episode, and besides, I don't think the Doctor would just casually kill someone just like that.
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
Ugolino
Youngling

Post by Ugolino »

I think that the fake Amy was just that: not an independent person, just a "classic" ganger.
Karen Traviss IS a Kaminoan!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Word of God from a Doctor Who Confidential is that gangerAmy was completely non-sentient. Damn, guys, maybe you should have made a point of that in the script?

If I could find that Confidential I'd link to it, but for some reason those aren't always as readily available as the actual episodes,

Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Broomstick wrote:Word of God from a Doctor Who Confidential is that gangerAmy was completely non-sentient. Damn, guys, maybe you should have made a point of that in the script?
I got that impression anyway from the fact that "she" was experiencing contractions and occasionally saw the eyepatch lady, indicating that "she" was just a remote. The sapient gangers never gave any indication of experiencing what their templates were experiencing.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

All it would have taken to clarify that was one throw-away line something like:

"Based on what we've learned, I can say with certainty that this Flesh Amy is non-sentient." :::zap ganger into goo:::

Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

I had the impression as soon as the 'ganger Amy was dissolved, the real Amy got all its memory/experience and then woke up in that strange birth chamber in a villain's lair. Who are these new bad guys (monks with energy swords and more conventional looking soldiers) led by that eyepatch lady? They seem to be related to the Church's militant wing that was introduced in "The Time of Angels"-"Flesh and Stone" episodes, only this time they're antagonistic stormtrooper mooks instead of plucky redshirts helping the Doctor.

Anyway I gave last Saturday's episode a "4" score; better than "The Rebel Flesh" and "Cold Blood" from last year, but I agree to certain extent that it seems a bit too complex for casual viewers and quite intense for kids under the age of twelve, guaranteeing a 12 rating for the DVD (the UK's equivalent of PG-13).
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Broomstick wrote:OH, and by the way - someone put together a montage of the Doctor actually using guns of various sorts over the years: link

Is it just me, or does that montage show the doctor outright assasinating some timelord politico sniper-style?

What's the context behind that?
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Darksider wrote:Is it just me, or does that montage show the doctor outright assasinating some timelord politico sniper-style?

What's the context behind that?
The Doctor recieved psychic visions of the Time Lord President being assassinated as he was returning to Gallifrey after dropping Sarah Jane off on Earth. He tried to prevent it by killing the assassin before the assassin could kill the President, however the sights on his gun had been tampered with and he missed.

This was in the episode "The Deadly Assassin".
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

I don't think Amy's gloopy double was part of the Eyepatch Lady's plan - since when we first saw her in "Day of the Moon" she says 'No, I think she's just dreaming...' and seemingly unaware there's a double of Amy that the real, unconscious Amy is living through from her birth pod for months. When we see the Eyepatch Lady looking through the hatchway in the last couple of episodes she gives a harsh gaze in silence, as if she's starting to cotton on.
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor