Avatar Military Wankers Read This First

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Metahive
Sith Devotee

Re: Avatar Military Wankers Read This First

Post by Metahive »

Darth Hoth wrote:To me, the fact that their god actually exists makes it worse, not better. It validates their retarded religion, in the same way that Left Behind validates the Christian God in-universe. So, whether the creator intends it or not, it comes off with the impression of propaganda: "What if this myth is really true after all? Look how nice that would be!"
How's it different from the Force in SW being an actual and tangible presence? Are you comparing that series to Left Behind and fundietardism too? Also, Eywa is a sentient biosphere whose methods of control and interaction are openly visible, a far cry from the angry man in the sky propagated by the abrahamic religions.
It also aggravates my issues with the Navi leading unrealistically comfortable lives for their overall tech level: It is not just due to author's fiat, but literal in-story divine intervention. It reminds me of those fundies who say ozone holes (or whatever) will not be a problem because Jesus will come back and save them anyway before they grow too big . . . except in the context of the story, the Navi are objectively right when they say, "Screw technology and civilisation, Eywa Provides."
"Unrealistic"? You've noticed that they're, well, NOT HUMAN, right? Why are you trying to impose human-centric standards on an alien race and then holding their deviation from those against them? They live in an environment that enables them to live comfortably at a lower tech level of humanity. What exactly is so disagreeable about that? Is it either the First World Human Way or the Highway with you?
What should be the driving force of society instead of selfishness and profit? Everyone holding hands and working together for the betterment of all humanity sentient life EVERYWHERE! with no expectation of personal gain, giving according to ability and receiving according to need?

Unless you happen to be living in the setting of Star Trek: TNG, that is unlikely to happen for the next few billions of years or so.
You know what's also unlikely to happen? Discovering a planet like Pandora in the next hundred years. D'uh.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
someone_else
Jedi Knight

Post by someone_else »

Playing devil's advocate and nitpicking all the nitpickable from the initial NecronLord post.
without substantial military power in space, they (the RDA) cannot win a fight against such a government
They control the only source of Mac-Guffinite, I mean Unobtanium. This gives them plenty of cash (also testified by the fact they have a pretty big mining base on another planet, and according to Pandorapedia, 12 rather expensive interstellar spacecraft). You know what corporations with plenty of cash do usually to US government.

RDA will convince the US government to fight for them to take back Pandora, signing contracts for exclusive discounts on the Unobtanium price for them.
Or just shoveling money into politicians (if it hasn't already, which I find weird at least).
Strong pressure from the UN and general public just to communicate with them!
The UN and the general pubblic can fuck themselves. The only way to pay for the infrastructure needed to reach Pandora is mining unobtanium. If they stop mining unobtanium there is no cost-effective way to go there.

At the end of the movie is kind of obvious that the only way to keep mining unobtanium afterwards is wiping out the blueskins.

The story is simple, they either get back and nuke them, or the interstellar vessels are scrapped and none goes back to Pandora again. What happens will depend on how badly they want Unobtanium.

If they want it badly as we want Oil now.... blueskins get nuked. Period.

Pandorapedia's page on the Venture Star seems to indicate they want unobtanium pretty strongly. "Only the great need for unobtanium and the energy which it allows human civilization to produce could justify the cost of creating these vessels."
"Unobtanium is not only the key to Earth’s energy needs in the 22nd century, but it is the enabler of interstellar travel and the establishment of a truly spacefaring civilization"

This last sentence means that the nuking of blueskins will also have the blessing of people like MKSheppard. :mrgreen:
For all we know, Selfridge and the other leaders of the RDA expedition were immediately arrested upon arriving at Earth, and duly imprisoned/executed.
It's very likely they were just the drones of someone else actually in charge, which will of course use them as a scapegoat. In the end you imprisoned/killed a few corporate drones. Big deal.

And technically, they deserve what they get. Even a 10 year old could have handled the situation better. I still hope their bosses were more intelligent and the two idiots were part of a bigger plan. Maybe they were sent there on purpose (the sissy corporate boss with a trigger-happy Big Jim was very likely to give you a shooting contest) to make a total fuckup and force the US army to get there and nuke the blueskins so that the mining operations could continue.

It's not a totally unrealistic tactic if you look at how american natives were handled. Someone (possibly a dumbass) provokes them, they go apeshit (righteously) and the US army is called in to nuke them (to "protect the settlers"). Now there is free land. Colonize. Then start again.
There is no stealth in space, there is also no setting off large explosions or diverting asteroids without it becoming known.
Pandora rotates, so the detonation can be timed to happen when the fucking planet is between the detonation and the Earth.

Also, Pandora is a satellite of a gas giant, and thus the gas giant itself can provide cover for such explosions.

But again, this issue will likely be handled by the US army, so doing it hidden isn't necessary.
The treaty granted to the RDA could easily be reallocated to another multinational, who could be kept on a much tighter leash.
Depends from who owns the infrastructure. If interstellar vessels and their laser boosting stations are property of RDA, you have no such choice other than taking such property with force-ish. No other corporation will want to work with you if you do that.
And yet, no one justifies the Martians’ intention to seize the Earth due to their own planet dying (in this case, through no fault of their own). Murderously stealing other people’s land does not become okay just because you’re fucked up at home.
Yeah, sure. This assumes mankind never acted out of fear, greed and whatnot. It's not "morally justified" but remains likely to happen nonetheless, if there is enough money to be made in doing so to satisfy the greed of few, and enough scared/desperate people ready to carry out orders for a decent pay (or a very good one, in the case of people sent on Pandora). Desperate people are practically never in short supply, and in this case there are enormous quantities of money to make.

Finding a situation in history when mankind acted out of morals is kinda... hard. At best morals are a cover-up for something else.
The Na’vi Started It, Savages!
This will likely be the official story, and while more or less anyone in charge of anything will know it is bullshit, most will "fail to realize it" until the blueskins are nuked. Yeah, some protests and shit, but nothing truly huge until the war is near the end. Then there will be a shitstorm, political talking heads will fall (or maybe not), and meanwhile, Spice Will Flow Again (Unobtanium will get mined again).

P.S. I call them "blueskins", but I mean them and the animals supporting them.
Shroom Man 777 wrote:Also, who wouldn't be disappointed when humanity discovers awesome space technology, and finally realizes that man is not alone in the universe and that another oasis of life exists in the infinite cosmos, only to degenerate back to the same level as the colonialistic imperialist shitheads of Europe and America in the past?
(emphasis mine)None degenerates. We have still colonialist imperialist shitheads free and happy. It's just that now they buy everything in sight (companies and politicians) to DOMINATE a shithole country economically and politically instead of asking their government to invade and keep said country "pacified" because they discovered it is vastly cheaper to do the former.

To answer your question, I would be disappointed. But I would be much more shocked if that wouldn't happen.
I'm nobody. Nobody at all. But the secrets of the universe don't mind. They reveal themselves to nobodies who care.
--
Stereotypical spacecraft are pressurized.
Less realistic spacecraft are pressurized to hold breathing atmosphere.
Realistic spacecraft are pressurized because they are flying propellant tanks. -Isaac Kuo

--
Good art has function as well as form. I hesitate to spend more than $50 on decorations of any kind unless they can be used to pummel an intruder into submission. -Sriad
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Darth Hoth wrote:
NecronLord wrote:It may interest you to know that disease is considered in some detail in the "Avatar Scriptment" an early treatment of the story. The RDA's most valuable side-business on Pandora involves the ability of the environment to just squash viruses.
I actually did know that; I read up on the Project 880 and Pandorapedia stuff after our discussion on Avatar-related stuff last autumn.

But frankly, that smells even more of fiat, and/or propaganda, to me: The Navi have no problems with disease because their literal not-quite-god has fixed their whole planetary ecosystem for them so very nicely that there are no diseases, period. Presumably as a reward because their lifestyle is so green and eco-friendly.
I doubt that. It's more likely that Eywa simply regards them as part of herself, and doesn't want them infested by parasites for the same reason you don't want your pancreas infested with parasites.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Or Space Obama, President of Space, gets elected and his communist policies nationalize RDA and he enacts policies to decrease unobtanium dependency by focusing on renewabletanium resources. :mrgreen:
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

Metahive wrote:How's it different from the Force in SW being an actual and tangible presence? Are you comparing that series to Left Behind and fundietardism too? Also, Eywa is a sentient biosphere whose methods of control and interaction are openly visible, a far cry from the angry man in the sky propagated by the abrahamic religions.
The Force is never shown to be anything but a power source for psychic powers, although various people develop elaborate theologies about it.

Eywa is a personal "deity." There is a degree of difference.
"Unrealistic"? You've noticed that they're, well, NOT HUMAN, right? Why are you trying to impose human-centric standards on an alien race and then holding their deviation from those against them?
Because in most every other respect, they are as human as your average Star Trek forehead alien?

If they were truly (="realistically") alien, they should be so ugly and incomprehensible that no one (except maybe Starglider) would feel sorry for them if the RDA carpet-bombed them with 40k virus warheads and watched the flesh melt off their bones.

But in the film, they both look like and behave like humans, with some kind of idealised American Indian culture. Which is why I judge them by fairly human standards.
They live in an environment that enables them to live comfortably at a lower tech level of humanity. What exactly is so disagreeable about that? Is it either the First World Human Way or the Highway with you?
By and large, the First World Human Way has been the most successful way by far to organise human society. Both in terms of material prosperity and in terms of guaranteeing human rights and liberties. No competitor comes even close. Thus, I take issue with the various ideologues who think that it is really bad and other, more primitive societies are better.

For truly "alien" aliens, I would not insist that our way is better. For one extreme example, democracy would look ridiculous to a hive-mind creature. But for human aliens with human psychologies and cultures, I would very much believe that yes, our way is better for them, too.

Which, however, misses the thematic point of Avatar. Cameron is not some deep, hard sci-fi author with a Ph.D. in evolutionary biology, intent on exploring alien worlds in a novel trilogy that sells 70,000 copies and becomes a cult classic in a couple of decades. He is, rather, a movie producer who makes Pocahontas in space to preach a green message. With blue elf/cat people hybrids instead of Indians.
You know what's also unlikely to happen? Discovering a planet like Pandora in the next hundred years. D'uh.
Discovering a Pandora-like planet and mining it is infinitely more probable than human nature magically changing for the "better".

Although I did phrase that bit as a question, and not all rhetorical. What is Ford's idea of a better way to motivate work and investment than self-interest, if it is not TNG-style utopianism?
"But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books."

-George "Evil" Lucas
Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

Lord of the Abyss wrote:I doubt that. It's more likely that Eywa simply regards them as part of herself, and doesn't want them infested by parasites for the same reason you don't want your pancreas infested with parasites.
Well, maybe I went a little too far. :P

I thought, though, that Eywa proper was just the tree roots, even if it could interact with the native fauna when it wanted to? Or is that another thing I am misremembering?
Shroom Man 777 wrote:Or Space Obama, President of Space, gets elected and his communist policies nationalize RDA and he enacts policies to decrease unobtanium dependency by focusing on renewabletanium resources. :mrgreen:
Epic, Shroom. Mail this to Cameron so he can use it for the sequel! :lol:
"But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books."

-George "Evil" Lucas
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

The ecology of Pandora is such that there's those little nerve-fiber-tendrils EVERYWHERE. It appeared like Eywa was at least connected to most of the plant life if not animal life via those direct connections.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Darth Hoth wrote: I thought Adam Grif's argument (back in the original {huge} Avatar thread) was that the situation was morally grey, and while he did not fault the Martians (or whoever) for attacking Earth if it was their only means of survival, he also thought it perfectly justified if the humans fought back to the best of their ability. If my memory of the thread is correct, he phrased it something like, "Both sides are right, but neither of them is wrong."
Such an argument automatically fails the logic test of non contradiction, which was kind of my point.

Honestly, if there really was a God who truly was omnipotent and omniscient, I would think very carefully before deciding that anything He said or did was wrong or evil, because I would feel decidedly out of my league passing judgement on such a being. If you accept the basic conceits of the monotheistic religions, that particular argument actually makes sense to some degree.

The problem there is more that most religious texts are so obviously not written by an omniscient god, but human beings, and usually rather unsophisticated ones by modern standards.
Ignoring for a moment omnipotent seems logically impossible (ie can he make a rock so heavy that he can't lift it, and if he can, how can he be omnipotent if he can't lift it) I am sure why you bring up the idealised (ie not described in the Bible) version of God's powers. My argument works just as well with Thor or some other deity much less powerful. Its bringing up Plato's (at least I think it was Plato) argument that is something good because God does it, or does God do something because it is good? The former implies that "good" is purely arbitary, ie subject to the whims of God, while the latter implies that morality is independent of God.

The same shaky foundation applies when people bring up exceptionalism for characters they like, in this case some humans. In which case what is considered "good" is only considered that way because <insert character they like> does it. Thus "good" becomes purely arbitary just like in the God example.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Whiskey144 wrote:
Coyote wrote:Except for the fact that, for the Na'vi, "Gaia" is actually a real entity, capable of intervening on their behalf with the appropriate appeal. That moves it out of the realm of "fuzzy-wuzzy ideology" and into the realm of "planetary artillery on call".

And seriously, take a look at the actions of the RDA. Sorry, but the Na'vi are morally superior to most of the humans in this scenario.
If you'd bothered to read the rest of the thread, then you'd notice that I've conceded the Mary-Sueism point, and the moral ambiguity of the RDA.
Yeah, sorry. I was distracted and didn't realize there were more pages there. :oops:
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I don't have time to address most of that now, but the idea that the RDA can just bribe the government into genocide is laughable. There are limits to what you can get with money.

You will note that when OPEC stopped/slowed oil production in the 70s, the US didn't immediately destroy the arab nations with single, grouped and massed nuclear strikes.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Darth Hoth wrote:
By and large, the First World Human Way has been the most successful way by far to organise human society. Both in terms of material prosperity and in terms of guaranteeing human rights and liberties. No competitor comes even close. Thus, I take issue with the various ideologues who think that it is really bad and other, more primitive societies are better.
This is far from being a open and shut argument is it? The First World Human Way has also enabled an environmental devastation of the planet that is only now being reversed. Or rather, the modern "eco-friendly" First World was built on a mountain of corpses and destroyed forests and ecologies. I stand by China's right to follow the same path not so much because it is desirable, but because it is an unfortunate intermediate step. I wouldn't say its something we ought to be proud of next to what generally happens to displaced native societies in these situations.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

Darth Hoth wrote:By and large, the First World Human Way has been the most successful way by far to organise human society. Both in terms of material prosperity and in terms of guaranteeing human rights and liberties. No competitor comes even close. Thus, I take issue with the various ideologues who think that it is really bad and other, more primitive societies are better.
I take issue with your assertion that the First World Human Way is the most successful way to organise society. Certainly it enables large numbers of people to live in relative comfort, however this is done with a very large environmental impact, and it remains to be seen whether or not the First World Human Way is actually sustainable over a significant period of time. Neither material prosperity nor human rights and liberties are maximised if the indiscriminate use of both now causes a severe enough environmental crash in the future.

There is also the fact that the First World Human Way also comes at the cost of squashing the rights of large numbers of blue aliens brown people. The material prosperity that First Worlders take for granted would not be possible without disrespecting the human rights and liberties of people in poor oil- and labour-rich countries, and this cost should be taken into consideration when talking about the "superiority" of the First World Human Way.
Darth Hoth wrote:For truly "alien" aliens, I would not insist that our way is better. For one extreme example, democracy would look ridiculous to a hive-mind creature. But for human aliens with human psychologies and cultures, I would very much believe that yes, our way is better for them, too.
You know, this is exactly the same kind of attitude that western imperialists had when they went around colonising everywhere. As it turned out, actually forcing them to live the First World Human Way was in many cases not better for them, because the First World Human Way also included shit like the view that "white people are better than savages everyone else", which meant it was difficult for them to integrate with the society even if they wanted. Now, maybe you think that human society will be advanced enough in the future that the same problem won't be faced by ten foot tall blue aliens who don't even breathe the same air as us, however I very much doubt it. Then, of course, there are some physiological differences, such as people from many native ethnic groups having a lower tolerance for alcohol, and becoming addicted more easily. Many members of Aboriginal tribes in Australia and the Americas have not only failed to integrate fully with the First World Human Way, after several generations, but are also suffering from many maladies that were brought about by their contact with the First World Human Way.

These are issues that are still faced because we tried to force the First World Human Way on members of our own species. And you think that somehow think that it's ethical to do the exact same thing when dealing with a species that can't breathe the same atmosphere as us, and which requires many of our items to be custom made for them in order to be in any way ergonomic (as opposed to real aboriginal tribes, who at least had the advantage of being able to use First World Human Stuff right out of the box, so to speak). Right.

And on a different note, I'm unsure why I am still seeing variations on "The Na'vi annoy me" as some kind of pro-RDA argument. Even if the Na'vi had decided that the best use for human technology was to plug ipods into Eywa and make the planet play Hanson and Backstreet Boys music at full volume 24/7, it still would not have made the RDA the "good guys". After all, you don't see large numbers of people arguing that the Martians should have killed Tom Cruise's daughter in War of the Worlds, even though she was easily at least ten times more annoying than the Na'vi.
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

someone_else wrote:RDA will convince the US government to fight for them to take back Pandora, signing contracts for exclusive discounts on the Unobtanium price for them.
Or just shoveling money into politicians (if it hasn't already, which I find weird at least).
And? They're not the only one. For every RDA lobbyist, there'll be say, a Unilever one, saying "Give that shit to us, we'll do it better and you'll get re-elected. Vote in support of the RDA, and we'll make sure your career is over." You're counting on politicians to vote directly against their interests - there's nothing the RDA can offer that a replacement can't.

Your argument ignores the fact that the shareholders canonically are concerned about public opinion. If their position was as unassailable as you make out, then they wouldn't need to give a hoot.
The UN and the general pubblic can fuck themselves. The only way to pay for the infrastructure needed to reach Pandora is mining unobtanium. If they stop mining unobtanium there is no cost-effective way to go there.
And they can do that under, say, Unilever, without being a stereotypical gloating megacorp into murder and ethnic cleansing.
At the end of the movie is kind of obvious that the only way to keep mining unobtanium afterwards is wiping out the blueskins.
Not to me. Please provide proof.
If they want it badly as we want Oil now.... blueskins get nuked. Period.
See above example. The United States once had various nations completely halt oil flow, and while they were not the only source, there was no question of genocide.
Pandorapedia's page on the Venture Star seems to indicate they want unobtanium pretty strongly. "Only the great need for unobtanium and the energy which it allows human civilization to produce could justify the cost of creating these vessels."
"Unobtanium is not only the key to Earth’s energy needs in the 22nd century, but it is the enabler of interstellar travel and the establishment of a truly spacefaring civilization"
And the RDA is not goddamn CHOAM. There are many, many, companies that would gleefully snap up the opportunity of administering the ships and assets ripped from the RDA in the massive public shitstorm that would ensue, and would deliberately prolong that shitstorm and make it as painful as possible.
This last sentence means that the nuking of blueskins will also have the blessing of people like MKSheppard. :mrgreen:
If his blessing mattered, the United States would invade and conquer the entire Middle East in an orgy of nuclear death - fortunately it doesn't.
It's very likely they were just the drones of someone else actually in charge, which will of course use them as a scapegoat. In the end you imprisoned/killed a few corporate drones. Big deal.
Selfridge quite clearly makes the decisions in the film. Bullshit about unseen FTL comms aside, the buck on site clearly stops with him.
And technically, they deserve what they get. Even a 10 year old could have handled the situation better. I still hope their bosses were more intelligent and the two idiots were part of a bigger plan.
And I still hope the Na'vi ,make friends with some Type III civilization, and the next time someone attacks them, we get to watch say, a vorlon dreadnought drop out of hyperspace on top of an ISV, cut it in half, melt the human base from orbit, and then leave a few fighters to run down the surviving intruders the while it proceeds to Earth to make its displeasure felt.
Pandora rotates, so the detonation can be timed to happen when the fucking planet is between the detonation and the Earth.
I had a long explanation here, but I'll cut to the quick.

You must also kill all the animals. To paraphrase the original Doctor Who, "Conquer Pandora! You poor pathetic creature. Don't you realise, before you attempt to conquer Pandora, you will have to destroy all living matter!"

If you're going to take the stick approach then you don't just have to kill the na'vi, but the entire sapient ecosystem they inhabit (you yourself include that in 'blueskins'. You can't just hit one side of the planet with a few kiloton-range firecrackers. You have to change the damn albedo of the planet.
Also, Pandora is a satellite of a gas giant, and thus the gas giant itself can provide cover for such explosions.
Wow. I didn't think I'd have to explain why that's to be discounted on its face. The orbital plane of Pandora will not be aligned with Earth's. It is... vanishingly unlikely that they will align in such a way; as in, you may as well sit and hope for a natural asteroid strike.

Space, like Avatar, comes in glorious 3D. The plane of one solar system will not align to another.
This will likely be the official story,
This thread is not to explore your fanfic notions, but arguments made by people commenting on the work of fiction. You may have a fanfic where the RDA successfully sell this line to the public. I have one where they don't, get their stuff taken away, and are gobbled up by leaner, hungrier would-be monopolists, who're liable to be smart enough to not piss off the natives, but engage in fair exchange with them (they may not want roads, but for one thing, they do like two-way radios) and sustainable mining practices. Neither is canon.

Regardless your argument is basically that nuking is going to happen because it will not be possible for any other human to extract unobtanium without.

Provide comprehensive evidence for that, now.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Darth Hoth wrote:To me, the fact that their god actually exists makes it worse, not better. It validates their retarded religion, in the same way that Left Behind validates the Christian God in-universe. So, whether the creator intends it or not, it comes off with the impression of propaganda: "What if this myth is really true after all? Look how nice that would be!"
I find it a little odd that your desire for religions not to be true causes you to find it intrinsically offensive when a hypothetical religion that bears no real resemblance to anything on this earth happens to be true... in fiction.

There's a difference between believing that there is no god, and wanting there to be no god, in the active sense. The latter is a bit less common, and I'd be interested to hear your views on this.
What should be the driving force of society instead of selfishness and profit? Everyone holding hands and working together for the betterment of all humanity sentient life EVERYWHERE! with no expectation of personal gain, giving according to ability and receiving according to need? :lol:

Unless you happen to be living in the setting of Star Trek: TNG, that is unlikely to happen for the next few billions of years or so.
And, of course, it is therefore a bad thing to aspire to, while the personal enrichment of RDA senior executives is a fucking great way to spend our time and resources.

Or, put another way, as long as the bank executives have plenty of money, who cares if normal people are losing their mortgages?

That's a disgusting way to run a civilization when you look at it from a consquential standpoint. There has to be some notion of public policy, of acknowledging human aspirations and ambitions not created by greed, of not making the primary purpose of our existence be the piling up of an infinite number of iPods. Otherwise, we're going to turn on ourselves and devour ourselves, simply because the easiest way to become rich is to make your surroundings a zero-sum game and make sure you get to write the rules.
Darth Hoth wrote:
NecronLord wrote:It may interest you to know that disease is considered in some detail in the "Avatar Scriptment" an early treatment of the story. The RDA's most valuable side-business on Pandora involves the ability of the environment to just squash viruses.
I actually did know that; I read up on the Project 880 and Pandorapedia stuff after our discussion on Avatar-related stuff last autumn.

But frankly, that smells even more of fiat, and/or propaganda, to me: The Navi have no problems with disease because their literal not-quite-god has fixed their whole planetary ecosystem for them so very nicely that there are no diseases, period. Presumably as a reward because their lifestyle is so green and eco-friendly.
Or, alternatively, because the planetary ecosystem just views viruses as a stupid waste of effort, on par with punching yourself in the face?

Why cast it in theological terms? Eywa isn't protecting the Na'vi from disease as a reward for their lifestyle. Eywa's protecting the Na'vi from disease for the same reason I don't want my clothes to get ripped full of holes- they're valuable and I like them and I don't want them getting damaged needlessly by things I don't like.
Environmentalism is not necessarily anti-technology, but in practice many if not most people (including most of its grassroot followers) seem to conflate the two.
I've usually seen the conflation from people who oppose environmentalism, and want to cast it as luddism to give themselves an excuse for not worrying about the ecological consequences of their actions.

The closest there is to a dominant anti-technological theme in the environmental movement is the idea that there are values other than "he who dies with the most toys, wins" applied on the largest scale possible. Which seems to me to be rather important, and not at all a bad thing. The idea that yes there is some higher, or at least saner, purpose that we should be trying to keep an eye on, that questions like "but do we feel fulfilled?" and "how does what we do to the natural world reflect on us as human beings?" must be asked... that doesn't seem to me to be luddism.
The Navi, however, do come across as anti-technology by every measure I can judge them by. They refused any trade or interaction at all with the humans, down to such simple yet extremely useful things as metal or plastic tools. They are not even interested in finding out how the human gadgets (some of which must look quite god-like to them) work. There is either not a single individual among them with any scientific curiosity, or those who are curious are being suppressed offscreen by the tribal leadership. (I believe Shep went on at some length about this at the tail end of the original thread mentioned above.)
I can think of a number of explanations.

1) Trade would be mediated through Grace and the rest of the xenobiology team. They may not have wanted to try too hard to sell consumer goods to the Na'vi because they know what happens then: the Na'vi become dependent on the stuff and their culture declines, as happened around the world.
2) By the time the movie begins, there has already been a sharp breach between the Na'vi and the humans of the Avatar program. This breach would have a huge effect on the level of scientific curiosity or publically expressed interest in human gadgets that any Na'vi might show, because you don't go oohing and aahing over the wizardy of a foreign enemy unless you want to make yourself look bad.
No one in the film gives up technology when they switch sides (indeed, at least two of the Na'vi take to using radio quite happily, presumably more would if available) nor is technology or science (most of the human protagnists are scientists!) said to be evil, harmful, or wrong in any way.
I find the fact that the scientists and other human renegades choose to stay behind with the Omaticaya on Pandora when the humans leave (and Sully narrating as an in-character Navi warrior) quite telling. They literally turn their back on human society to live with the Navi in primitivity and harmony with nature, once the planet has been cleansed of the RDA. Unless I am mistaken, this implies that they also give up all human technology, since I find it hard to believe that the base and its few stragglers can support it for long.
...Honestly? My impression is that they were far more interested in investigating the planet (now with its cooperation or at least neutrality) than in any kind of lifestyle change. They want to stay on Pandora because they like researching the planet.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Darth Hoth wrote:
The first world human way of life in Avatar seems crap compared to modern day life in a developed nation, since they appear to suffer from over population where the food is some nutritious stew invented by Earth companies. Granted, they aren't exactly going to die out any time soon like the military wankers think, but it seems weak to compare your preferred life to the Na'vi, when its not available in universe. Or to put it another way, why would the Na'vi believe Earth's way of life is as good as you say (or wasn't always this crap), when the information is that its not. Of course the most likely reason they don't like adapting things like technology is because RDA personnel shot them.
For truly "alien" aliens, I would not insist that our way is better. For one extreme example, democracy would look ridiculous to a hive-mind creature. But for human aliens with human psychologies and cultures, I would very much believe that yes, our way is better for them, too.
Even better than post scarcity societies like the Culture?
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

Simon_Jester wrote:1) Trade would be mediated through Grace and the rest of the xenobiology team. They may not have wanted to try too hard to sell consumer goods to the Na'vi because they know what happens then: the Na'vi become dependent on the stuff and their culture declines, as happened around the world.
2) By the time the movie begins, there has already been a sharp breach between the Na'vi and the humans of the Avatar program. This breach would have a huge effect on the level of scientific curiosity or publically expressed interest in human gadgets that any Na'vi might show, because you don't go oohing and aahing over the wizardy of a foreign enemy unless you want to make yourself look bad.
3) Unless the humans went around specifically making Na'vi sized human technology, the utility of any piece of human technology to the Na'vi would be greatly reduced, due to the Na'vi being ten feet tall and having different ergonomic requirements from humans. Even if a Na'vi wanted a rifle or other technological doodad, the ones available to them would be so tiny that it would seem like they were plaiying with a child's toy rather than a real object. This may just influence their desire to take up said technology.
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Ironically the only real reason there's for the Na'vi to technologically progress would be to able to...fend off those technologically advanced interstellar planet looters from Earth.

Congratulations, Earthlings, the Shadows would certainly approve.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

Simon_Jester wrote:I find it a little odd that your desire for religions not to be true causes you to find it intrinsically offensive when a hypothetical religion that bears no real resemblance to anything on this earth happens to be true... in fiction.

There's a difference between believing that there is no god, and wanting there to be no god, in the active sense. The latter is a bit less common, and I'd be interested to hear your views on this.
Not sure if I understood you correctly, but first off, I am not against fictional religions in general or their deities. Say, I have no problem with the zoo of gods they have in D&D or any given fantasy setting.

I do grow irritated when settings that are supposed to be based on real life and our own world and history (although fictionalised, obviously) include gods, whether mythological or made up for the setting. It cannot help but come across as a statement to the effect of, "Look, religion was really right after all!"

Which, of course(?), would be false.

In the case of the Navi, it becomes particularly bad because of the heavy-handed allegory of the film otherwise: By making the Space Indians right in their superstition, Cameron is also saying (by implication, at least) that real-life Amazon Delta tribes (or whatever) are perhaps also right. While the people of the Western world, who are Out Of Touch With Nature, are wrong.
And, of course, it is therefore a bad thing to aspire to, while the personal enrichment of RDA senior executives is a fucking great way to spend our time and resources.

Or, put another way, as long as the bank executives have plenty of money, who cares if normal people are losing their mortgages?

That's a disgusting way to run a civilization when you look at it from a consquential standpoint. There has to be some notion of public policy, of acknowledging human aspirations and ambitions not created by greed, of not making the primary purpose of our existence be the piling up of an infinite number of iPods. Otherwise, we're going to turn on ourselves and devour ourselves, simply because the easiest way to become rich is to make your surroundings a zero-sum game and make sure you get to write the rules.
I would imagine that it was done more for the enrichment of RDA stockholders than their execs. :lol:

Seriously, though: What is the alternative to selfishness? Self-interest - that is, concern for the individual, or his family - is what drives the overwhelming majority of humanity to actually care and work for a living. There are many historical examples of selflessness also, to be sure, but these generally tend to be limited to select environments where group conformity and indoctrination are rather stronger than is the norm in general society (such as the military). Equally, there are individual persons who are extremely giving, selfless and sacrificing (whether because of belief in a religion, ideology, or just because of intrinsic personal qualities), but they tend to be a small minority. They also tend to be a suffering minority, since they get used and abused by everyone less moral.

On those occasions when systems have tried to appeal to the better nature of man (socialism) to get him to work without material recompense, it has inevitably failed. It can work in small, utopian communes where everyone is dedicated to a particular style of belief. But not for larger society, where most people are at best indifferent in their politics and worship.
Or, alternatively, because the planetary ecosystem just views viruses as a stupid waste of effort, on par with punching yourself in the face?

Why cast it in theological terms? Eywa isn't protecting the Na'vi from disease as a reward for their lifestyle. Eywa's protecting the Na'vi from disease for the same reason I don't want my clothes to get ripped full of holes- they're valuable and I like them and I don't want them getting damaged needlessly by things I don't like.
If you put it like that, why would the world-brain value the Navi out of self-interest? What do they contribute to it? For that matter, why does it bother to keep all those weird animals around? Would it not be more efficient to just keep the brain-trees and the minimum of scavengers and micro-organisms needed to take care of whatever dead biomass might accrue? Since it can apparently run the animals by remote control, it hardly needs an elaborate hierarchy of predators to keep the populations balanced.
I've usually seen the conflation from people who oppose environmentalism, and want to cast it as luddism to give themselves an excuse for not worrying about the ecological consequences of their actions.

The closest there is to a dominant anti-technological theme in the environmental movement is the idea that there are values other than "he who dies with the most toys, wins" applied on the largest scale possible. Which seems to me to be rather important, and not at all a bad thing. The idea that yes there is some higher, or at least saner, purpose that we should be trying to keep an eye on, that questions like "but do we feel fulfilled?" and "how does what we do to the natural world reflect on us as human beings?" must be asked... that doesn't seem to me to be luddism.
I was thinking more of stuff like knee-jerk rejection and stark fear of everything with the word "nuclear" in it and similar issues. Which seems rather endemic to the green movement as such, though it is of course in no way confined to it.

I do not myself object by default to any notion of a "higher purpose" than basic greed and materialism (in fact, I think human beings require some such in order to function, although I also find many of the extant proposed higher purposes wrong-headed at best), but that is an issue quite separate from any discussion of environmentalism. Every ideology and religion (except perhaps Randian objectivism) tries to address those questions. And, of course, they are in no way Luddite as such.
1) Trade would be mediated through Grace and the rest of the xenobiology team. They may not have wanted to try too hard to sell consumer goods to the Na'vi because they know what happens then: the Na'vi become dependent on the stuff and their culture declines, as happened around the world.
They would not have to run any advanced sales pitch to get them to realize the inherent worth of, say, knives of stainless steel. If the company got them to just demonstrate those things to them, they probably could not keep them away if they tried and told them monstrous horror stories about how metal eats the soul.

This assuming that they actually have human-like psychologies, as the film showed. Of course, Avatar fans can always fall back on them not really being human, so their alien nature covers up all such potential holes.

Unless, of course, they never tried to trade at all, but that goes contrary to the film as best as I remember; Selfridge seemed to imply that they had offered them quite more valuable stuff than basic tools.
In real life, there would still be some kind of interaction and trade, even if lower-key. Especially since the Navi, at least some of them by now speaking quite decent English, would have no need of the biologists as interpreters or intermediaries. All one thrifty warrior would need would be to approach one of the less jittery drivers or noncoms and strike a deal. They have stuff they can offer the corporation (or if the RDA higher-ups are for some reason not interested, an enterprising merc-cum-businessman as a private person) in return for shinies, even if it is nothing more than tall tales or local lore . . . which should be valuable by any sane standard.

Then, he can get a fine new metal knife or ten to give to his girlfriend for an engagement present (or whatever).
...Honestly? My impression is that they were far more interested in investigating the planet (now with its cooperation or at least neutrality) than in any kind of lifestyle change. They want to stay on Pandora because they like researching the planet.
How does that in any way invalidate the fact that they still consider this worth renouncing human society and technology altogether? Environmentalism might not be their motive for it, but they still adapt the primitive lifestyle. And Sully himself even tries to "upload" into the avatar body so he can be a full-time Space Indian in every way.

-George "Evil" Lucas
Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

mr friendly guy wrote:Such an argument automatically fails the logic test of non contradiction, which was kind of my point.
:? So, are you claiming that there can be no morally ambiguous wars or conflicts, but only ones where one side is clearly right and the other equally clearly wrong?

Why could not one species' morality easily contradict another? You seem to be assuming that morality is somehow an objective fact.
Ignoring for a moment omnipotent seems logically impossible (ie can he make a rock so heavy that he can't lift it, and if he can, how can he be omnipotent if he can't lift it)
Heh, I was waiting for that one. :) Usually it is Serafina who throws it in, though.

I personally do not see the problem. That little riddle just pits the omnipotence against itself. Of course an omnipotent cannot override its own omipotence, but does this ever have any practical implications?
I am sure why you bring up the idealised (ie not described in the Bible) version of God's powers. My argument works just as well with Thor or some other deity much less powerful. Its bringing up Plato's (at least I think it was Plato) argument that is something good because God does it, or does God do something because it is good? The former implies that "good" is purely arbitary, ie subject to the whims of God, while the latter implies that morality is independent of God.

The same shaky foundation applies when people bring up exceptionalism for characters they like, in this case some humans. In which case what is considered "good" is only considered that way because <insert character they like> does it. Thus "good" becomes purely arbitary just like in the God example.
How would morality derived from a god be any more arbitrary than one derived from humans? Our morality is arbitrary. It just happens to be the conventions our society has come to embrace over the millennia of its (and its predecessors') existence. What we consider good is good because we think so (and when we consider it reasonably practical, act accordingly).

I would think a truly omniscient God would be a better judge of morality than we are, even if His morality would of course also be subjective.

-George "Evil" Lucas
Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

Lusankya wrote:I take issue with your assertion that the First World Human Way is the most successful way to organise society. Certainly it enables large numbers of people to live in relative comfort, however this is done with a very large environmental impact, and it remains to be seen whether or not the First World Human Way is actually sustainable over a significant period of time. Neither material prosperity nor human rights and liberties are maximised if the indiscriminate use of both now causes a severe enough environmental crash in the future.
Not caring for the morrow is, of course, an obvious flaw in the thinking of most human societies. It is also not one that the First World Human Way is unique in suffering from, as history would show us. Nor is environmental damage the only consequence, or arguably the worst one in all places.
There is also the fact that the First World Human Way also comes at the cost of squashing the rights of large numbers of blue aliens brown people. The material prosperity that First Worlders take for granted would not be possible without disrespecting the human rights and liberties of people in poor oil- and labour-rich countries, and this cost should be taken into consideration when talking about the "superiority" of the First World Human Way.
I have a hard time thinking that the not-blue not-aliens of the real-life Third World would actually be better off, either materially or in terms of rights, if First World society did not exist. Rather, they would be materially poorer, though perhaps think themselves richer without us providing a model for comparison. In absolute terms, the economic growth of the last century and a half has benefited all countries greatly, although some obviously much more than others.

Of course, those not-blue, not-alien societies outside the First World which have adapted the First World Human Way have also been able to share in the prosperity it brings to a much larger degree than those that have not.
You know, this is exactly the same kind of attitude that western imperialists had when they went around colonising everywhere. As it turned out, actually forcing them to live the First World Human Way was in many cases not better for them, because the First World Human Way also included shit like the view that "white people are better than savages everyone else", which meant it was difficult for them to integrate with the society even if they wanted.
Who ever said they should force the Navi into reservations and spoonfeed them with potato chips and cable television (or whatever)? If they are happy being primitive in the forest, let them. In case you failed to notice, I am not up in arms about how we must bring civilisation to the poor benighted savages of [insert-here] in real life, either.

I do believe that, once a more primitive society has successfully adapted what was called the First World Western Way, they will be better off than before. But that does not translate into a moral imperative of forcing it onto everyone for its own sake.
Then, of course, there are some physiological differences, such as people from many native ethnic groups having a lower tolerance for alcohol, and becoming addicted more easily. Many members of Aboriginal tribes in Australia and the Americas have not only failed to integrate fully with the First World Human Way, after several generations, but are also suffering from many maladies that were brought about by their contact with the First World Human Way.
I feel that we are now veering off topic, but are these aboriginals actually worse off nowadays in terms of life expectancy, infant mortality, literacy, material living standards and other such quantifiable measures than they were as hunter-gatherers before Western civilisation discovered them?

-George "Evil" Lucas
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Darth Hoth wrote:In the case of the Navi, it becomes particularly bad because of the heavy-handed allegory of the film otherwise: By making the Space Indians right in their superstition, Cameron is also saying (by implication, at least) that real-life Amazon Delta tribes (or whatever) are perhaps also right. While the people of the Western world, who are Out Of Touch With Nature, are wrong.
You are being far too literal.

The "god" in the story is an obvious parallel for the natural environment, which large and loud parts of the First World Western Way ignore the needs of or outright ridicule. You will notice how the scientists introduce the topic long before the primitives in the film.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Darth Hoth wrote:I do believe that, once a more primitive society has successfully adapted
Assuming they do survive. Certainly at least one primitive society springs to mind that was exterminated, that of the Tasmanians. (Who are part of the inspiration for War of the Worlds.)

Of course, like most Neo-Colonialist arguments along these lines, you presuppose that there can be no other way than conquest and all its accompanying woes by which a primitive society can acquire the conveniences of foreign technology. This is of course, untrue. When it first encountered Westerners, Japan's technology was far inferior in all respects, by a process of study on a relatively equitable basis (there are of course, exceptions, such as the "opening of Japan," but these were handled as sovereign nation, not as 'savages' they were able to become a founding nation of the G7.

Of course, they lagged behind the west less than other peoples, and had a stronger starting point, but that is of course, how they managed not to simply be conquered, and the point remains that there are other ways by which primitive peoples can acquire technology, which are not actually rampant evil.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Note: I get what you're saying, I just snipped the rest to keep it brief and focus on these three points
Simon_Jester wrote: Tsu'tey's attack makes best use of the natives' weapons and resources, but was an opportunistic move that they couldn't know in advance would work, so planning for it was tricky- it was only possible because the bomb-carrying shuttle had its cargo hatch open. Tsu'tey gets a bright idea and tries to go for the place in the back of the big metal bird where he can see men to fight, instead of just steel. But because they're fighting as individuals and not squadrons, there was no one on hand to support him when he came up with the idea. So he goes in alone, and if anyone else among the Na'vi tried the same thing they were too late to save him.
Granted, although I genuinely find it odd noone noticed he'd gotten on board and was in the middle of a fight. I don't remember the actual opening in the dropship being so unassailable that Tsu'tey only got in by sheer luck. That said, this is perhaps the least likely apporach to succeed.
Jake's attack has a high probability of success, and at least he can sort of fight alongside the natives since he's riding a giant pterodactyl instead of a helicopter, but even so, no one else can really share in his expertise and tactics. Where he goes and how he goes there, they cannot easily follow.
True, although I'm not sure that "take these things, pull the pin, and throw them into those little whirly things" is all that complicated. Assigning a couple of Na'Vi to doing that task specifically isn't that complex a task.

Also, and whilst throwing other gunships/helicopters into the drop ship may not have crippled it or stopped it, I doubt those manned gun pits on the outside of the ship would have survived those impacts.
Finally, Trudy with the helicopter has pretty good weapons, but everything about her equipment is so different from the natives' that there's no way to use the two together without a lot of planning and experimentation. It would hardly do much good for Trudy to find herself firing into a confused melee of Na'vi and RDA fliers, for example, and that's a real risk if they make their attacks too close together.
true. Maybe the copter would have been better for a distraction and taking out the escorting copters whilst the other Na'Vi provided distraction. Given that no other craft tried shooting her down they either couldnt easily track her or pretty much ignored her. Besides, she and Sully were the only ones who could actually take on the escorts.

Edit: also, weren't some of hte Na'Vi using some of the human tech during the battle? I'm pretty sure I recall Jake using radio to contact others, although maybe that was just Trudy and the gunship. And I know Jake had an M60 or something.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Connor MacLeod wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:Tsu'tey's attack makes best use of the natives' weapons and resources, but was an opportunistic move that they couldn't know in advance would work, so planning for it was tricky- it was only possible because the bomb-carrying shuttle had its cargo hatch open. Tsu'tey gets a bright idea and tries to go for the place in the back of the big metal bird where he can see men to fight, instead of just steel. But because they're fighting as individuals and not squadrons, there was no one on hand to support him when he came up with the idea. So he goes in alone, and if anyone else among the Na'vi tried the same thing they were too late to save him.
Granted, although I genuinely find it odd noone noticed he'd gotten on board and was in the middle of a fight. I don't remember the actual opening in the dropship being so unassailable that Tsu'tey only got in by sheer luck. That said, this is perhaps the least likely apporach to succeed.
It's not so much that it was unlikely as that it couldn't be planned on- "fly in through the open cargo bay door" relies heavily on the cargo bay being open. It might simply not have been discussed- Tsu'tey perceived the opportunity to do it during the battle on his own initiative, while Jake's plan was more centered on using the Na'vi to take out the little helicopters while he handled the shuttle via grenades to the engines.
Jake's attack has a high probability of success, and at least he can sort of fight alongside the natives since he's riding a giant pterodactyl instead of a helicopter, but even so, no one else can really share in his expertise and tactics. Where he goes and how he goes there, they cannot easily follow.
True, although I'm not sure that "take these things, pull the pin, and throw them into those little whirly things" is all that complicated. Assigning a couple of Na'Vi to doing that task specifically isn't that complex a task.
Connor, would you trust a couple of Stone Age warriors who'd never seen one of the things until yesterday with one of your very small number of hand grenades? Or would you want to use them yourself? ;)

Jake quite reasonably trusted himself to use the grenades much more than he trusted anyone else. The best he could have done would be to have a squad of native wingmen backing him up, who would help him clear the surface of the shuttle using their bows and spears while he demolished the engines with the grenades. And I'm not sure how much that would help him, since he already had a machine gun.
Also, and whilst throwing other gunships/helicopters into the drop ship may not have crippled it or stopped it, I doubt those manned gun pits on the outside of the ship would have survived those impacts.
Ah... you do realize you're proposing now that Trudy kamikaze herself into the gunship purely to suppress the gun pits? That's a pretty low-margin attack plan.
Edit: also, weren't some of hte Na'Vi using some of the human tech during the battle? I'm pretty sure I recall Jake using radio to contact others, although maybe that was just Trudy and the gunship. And I know Jake had an M60 or something.
A couple of radios, and Jake's weapons; I think that's about it. They only had what weapons were available in the little trailer they'd been based out of, after all.

As to Hoth, and ignoring points already addressed by others...
Darth Hoth wrote:Seriously, though: What is the alternative to selfishness? Self-interest - that is, concern for the individual, or his family - is what drives the overwhelming majority of humanity to actually care and work for a living...
Selfishness, or rather, the human tendency to tend their own gardens, which I would call self-centered rather than selfish, is not the problem.

The problem comes when decisions are made irresponsibly at the strategic level, or when they are abdicated by politicians who allow narrow economic or ideological interests to set the agenda of what the society does de facto.

It is all very well for our society to be a big party, but someone's got to be the designated driver. We're already suffering from that in much of the West, and the problem's going to get worse before it gets better- because we have chosen, as a matter of ideology, to place our trust in the power of self-centered behavior to solve all our problems.

It does not take all that much wit or sense to see that a million or a billion people can easily blunder into collective disaster even when every individual person thinks they're doing the right thing. If no one is keeping an eye out for rocks and shoals, the ship will run aground no matter how well the engines are doing.

If you put it like that, why would the world-brain value the Navi out of self-interest? What do they contribute to it?
Why not? Who knows what Eywa likes? Maybe Eywa likes giant blue people and huge predatory beasts, and dislikes germs, for idiosyncratic reasons. Maybe Eywa thinks roughly the way I did playing a game of SimEarth, and sees developing intelligent life and a stable ecosystem as a form of "winning," while being overly impressed by large animals and the like.

But I doubt Eywa has done all these things as some kind of reward to the Na'vi- rather, the Na'vi are being cultivated as one more (sentient, self-sustaining) flower in a large garden, while things not welcome in the garden are removed.

Efficiency isn't necessarily the point of the exercise. Gardening is.
I was thinking more of stuff like knee-jerk rejection and stark fear of everything with the word "nuclear" in it and similar issues. Which seems rather endemic to the green movement as such, though it is of course in no way confined to it.
That is not anti-technological; that is anti-nuclear. It is the result of specific fears about a specific type of technology and physical force, which evolved for specific reasons. But it doesn't translate into luddism; plenty of antinuclear people are perfectly enthusiastic about advanced computers or other products of advanced technology.
They would not have to run any advanced sales pitch to get them to realize the inherent worth of, say, knives of stainless steel. If the company got them to just demonstrate those things to them, they probably could not keep them away if they tried and told them monstrous horror stories about how metal eats the soul.

This assuming that they actually have human-like psychologies, as the film showed. Of course, Avatar fans can always fall back on them not really being human, so their alien nature covers up all such potential holes.

Unless, of course, they never tried to trade at all, but that goes contrary to the film as best as I remember; Selfridge seemed to imply that they had offered them quite more valuable stuff than basic tools.
A point. However, I don't think we should just assume that the Na'vi are all incurious idiots or slaves of the Planet-Mind on account of them not being portrayed as using stainless steel knives (or rifles, or plastic containers, or anything else). Remember that the Na'vi village is quite far from the human encampment, and that humans only go out into the wilderness on Pandora in small, heavily armed groups, for short periods of time.

That's going to minimize contact, outside of the Avatar program. The Avatars belong to the science team, and the science team won't want to contaminate their xenoanthropological studies. The RDA mercs and miners would probably be happy to trade, but have few opportunities to interact with the Na'vi in a nonhostile environment conducive to trade.

Even then, there might well be some trade... but not necessarily enough to make human artifacts ubiquitous in Na'vi villages.
How does that in any way invalidate the fact that they still consider this worth renouncing human society and technology altogether? Environmentalism might not be their motive for it, but they still adapt the primitive lifestyle. And Sully himself even tries to "upload" into the avatar body so he can be a full-time Space Indian in every way.
Since the avatar body is healthy and can breathe the air on the planet, while his human body is paraplegic and cannot breathe the air on the planet... fuck. I'd do it too, especially having already burned my bridges by backing the natives at the RDA's expense.

As to the scientists, who says they had any desire to adopt a primitive lifestyle? Maybe they're planning to live on stockpiles in the base and live on the trailers. Maybe the science team is bigger than you think, and can maintain the base without too much trouble as long as the native life doesn't keep attacking it, which it probably won't as long as there's effectively a negotiated cease-fire with Eywa.

There are a lot of uncertainties.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Connor MacLeod wrote:Granted, although I genuinely find it odd noone noticed he'd gotten on board and was in the middle of a fight. I don't remember the actual opening in the dropship being so unassailable that Tsu'tey only got in by sheer luck. That said, this is perhaps the least likely apporach to succeed.
One guy gets shot trying it just before Tsu'tey and one after. There's a whole load of guys there actually, he kills/wounds four to six of them, before he gets shot. It's a very good attempt, actually, though luck (character shield) is probably part of it on Tsu'tey's part.

Folks certainly did notice he'd gotten on board, but some of them were coup-de-gracing guy who'd come on board moments before while the others seem to have just been taken by surprise.
Tsu'tey and Neytiri had radios. I expect more would have had them if they'd a large supply.