Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Spoiler ahoy!)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Havok
Miscreant

Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Spoiler ahoy!)

Post by Havok »

Molyneux wrote:
Anguirus wrote:
And Soundwave, probably the third most liked Transformer, is a motionless satellite who has none of the traits that made him the third most liked TF... his trademark voice, his devotion to Megatron and a spolier for Starscream's plots against him.
His voice was unmodulated but otherwise the same "Dr. Claw" Frank Welker voice. I thought it was fine on reflection, maybe even more menacing than if they'd done it modulated. His devotion to Megatron is obvious...he went well out of his way and expended a powerful artifact + one of his own troops to resurrect him. As for Starscream's plots, I missed them too but there was clearly no more plot to be crammed into the film...it's barely comprehensible as is.

You did leave out the most important thing about Soundwave, the thing that they got right...he spies on the good guys and then uses that knowledge and BRUTALLY fucks them to pieces.
Why does everyone assume that Hightower is killed underwater? Five Decepticons went down, six came up...when I saw the film I just figured that they ripped his legs off, and dragged him along with them back to the surface.
I just figured they fucked up making the movie. It's not like they put a lot of thought into the story or anything besides Megan Fox's slow mo scenes and the robot fight choreography. :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Why does everyone assume that Hightower is killed underwater? Five Decepticons went down, six came up...when I saw the film I just figured that they ripped his legs off, and dragged him along with them back to the surface.
I didn't like that scene because I would've liked to see more of what they did to Megatron and the sacrificial Decepticon. Someone who saw the first film can infer they had to replace his legs since he had lost one when he was dumped into the ocean, but it would've been nice to see more.

It's a good point that maybe that Decepticon didn't die, EDIT: except that The Doctor/ Scalpel told the other Decepticons to "kill the little one". On the other hand, the fifth signature could've been Blackout (fuck Grindor) or The Doctor.

Did anyone notice Autobot Jolt? It's literally blink-and-you'll-miss-him, in the scene where Optimus' body is dropped off by Chinook (quite unceremoniously, I might add). Generally just too many Autobots, they should've cut the Arcees.

EDIT: oh yeah, and he also uses his whips on Optimus at the end. I needed the Wiki to tell me that, I didn't even know he was in the movie until after the fact.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I just got back from it, and all I can say is that it was a piece of shit. Just like the first one. I enjoyed it, though. Still I have to agree with the designs sucking balls. I couldn't tell who the fuck was who for 75% of the fucking thing. Maybe if I owned all the toys I'd be able to, though. :lol:
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Transformers toys suck now. The only ones worth getting are the repackaged ones that were out when we were kids. The remotely good ones ("Leader" class Optimus and Megatron from the movie) cost $99 AUD each. No way that's worth it.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Flagg wrote:I just got back from it, and all I can say is that it was a piece of shit. Just like the first one. I enjoyed it, though.
I agree with the first point, not the second. In fact I mostly agree with this review/rant. The film was not 'mindless fun', it was condensed stupid.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Oh it certainly was mindless, and some parts were fun, but over all, yes, condensed stupid is quite accurate. I will say that it was nice to look at as far as the scope and scale. It felt much grander than the first movie, but the overall story was just lame and again, the action scenes were crap because of the shitty designs and color schemes of the TFs. The only saving graces of this movie were the actual fighting scenes and that is about it.

It is a shame that with all the needless changes they made (designs, voices, names, characters) that they didn't change the fact that the Decepticons can fight and destroy Autobots in both modes, but the Autobots have to switch back to shitty robot design mode to attack the Decepticons. The idea that after MILLENIA of war that the Autobots still transform into Ice Cream trucks and Delivery trucks and mid life crisis cars is just one more ornament of stupid to add to the retard X-mas tree that is this franchise.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Vympel wrote:Transformers toys suck now. The only ones worth getting are the repackaged ones that were out when we were kids. The remotely good ones ("Leader" class Optimus and Megatron from the movie) cost $99 AUD each. No way that's worth it.
The Transformers Aniimated ones are pretty cool...mostly show-accurate transformations, and interesting robot modes. Especially Prowl.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Molyneux wrote:
The Transformers Aniimated ones are pretty cool...mostly show-accurate transformations, and interesting robot modes. Especially Prowl.
Yeah I've seen them in the stores, I just think Hasbro is doing the marketing all wrong. There's just far too many types of Transformers toys out - the choice is overwhelming. There's multiple versions of each Transformer, from multiple 'canon' versions (for lack of a better term), and it just confuses the hell out of me.

I've been tempted to get the "Leader" class Megatron and Optimus Prime because they look awesome, but it's just so pricey.
Jack Bauer
Jedi Knight

Post by Jack Bauer »

Vympel wrote:I've been tempted to get the "Leader" class Megatron and Optimus Prime because they look awesome, but it's just so pricey.
Hey Vymp, I can personally attest to the awesomeness that is Leader OP. He's currently sitting on my desk, looking all sorts of badass. Admittedly, I live in the States and I got it for under $40. I'm not sure about the conversion into Aussie dollars. I'd wait a few weeks and see if your local store offers a discount on TF movie toys, once the initial buzz has died down.

This new OP blows the 2007 movie Leader class out of the water. Its accuracy to to the CGI model is top-notch. Be warned though: the transformation (especially from robot to truck mode) is difficult. I don't see how kids could realistically play with this.
Sig by JME2
Rahvin
Jedi Knight

Post by Rahvin »

Leader Prime is amazing. I dislike the swords (kinda - they look good, but when you fold them back they get in the way, prevent full arm articulation, and occasionally flip out on their own because the peg holding them back is pretty loose - it also makes the transformation a little extra rough), but the overall design is very close to the move. A massive improvement over the first movie Prime.

I was incredibly disappointed in the first movie Megatron, but the new one looks significantly better. I'm debating dropping the $50 for him. The YouTube reviews I've seen make him tempting.

Most of the others just aren't particularly interesting to me. The Fallen doesn't have an interesting transformation, and in fact reminds me too much of Movie 1 Megs in his vehicle mode. The Arcees all have the "wheels for legs" thing going - I prefer the Arcee that was released with the first movie (which I also have, and is one of my favorites due to the excellent vehicle mode and range of articulation in robot mode). Starscream was improved over the first film (those giant missile launcher arms looked horrible in robot mode and completely ruined jet mode - the new version looks much cleaner) but his overall design is still too...wide...for me to like. I'm really just not sure how many more of them I'll pick up.
"You were doing OK until you started to think."
-ICANT, creationist from evcforum.net
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

The one thing I enjoyed was Soundwave listening in on the communications, and using the clueless bureaucrat to get information. Later on, when the general complains about the bureaucrat being able to talk to him, I'd bet that was Soundwave helping out, to try and learn more.

For the movie, the twins were annoying; their attitude was humorous, though crude.

I can appreciate the hackers changing the database so all the attractive women are in the same dorm as them. Plus the teacher encouraging the women with cleavage to sit right in the front where he can stare at them. Lots of sexual references in his initial class too.

Hopefully, Sam's brain spasms about energon got recorded by the Autobots, so they can try and make some new energon.

One stunt that could have shown the power of the Fallen, is having a few Autobots try and go after him, and the Fallen uses the gravity manipulation to deal with them as well. Maybe have the Autobots get sucked up along with a few of the tanks, and only Jetfire can really resist the effect.

Another idea would have been Jetfire saying that only a Prime can harm the Fallen, there are two left, and everyone knows that Megatron won't fight him. It establishes Megatron and Optimus as Primes, which is why nobody else can really deal with them.

There are only two extras in the credits, I stayed until the end hoping for a third (nope). Now if they had the hacker guy returning back to his friends, and they try to get him to talk about how they are going to get in on the conspiracy, he mentions that sometimes you can get too deep. He actually grows up a bit, realizing that if they try and dig too deep, they can find things that will kill you as a side effect.

A nice touch would be Megatron in the next film asking Soundwave how the humans have so many weapons that are useful to hurt and kill Transformers. Soundwave explains that roughly 10% of the weapons are actually designed to kill Transformers, the remaining weapons were designed by humans to kill other humans. Megatron comments that he landed on a planet of psychopaths.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Are you stupid? The transformers are in the middle of a milennia long civil war with one side out for total annihilation. They'd find NOTHING odd about killing your own species.
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

Voyager Megs is actually more accurate, except for being strangely...green. I got him anyway, I can afford $20 but not $50. Will likely pick up Screamer and Ravage as well. Screw the Autobots, but I can't resist collecting Decepticons.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

you can't have Dwight as a teacher and NOT expect him to be an overbearing somehwat sketchy meglomaniac. The guy was raised on a beet farm, shit has to come out sooner or later.

just for the record NEITHER college I went to had dorm rooms like that, and the first one was easily in teh price range commented on by Sams dad, WTF...

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Another idea would have been Jetfire saying that only a Prime can harm the Fallen, there are two left, and everyone knows that Megatron won't fight him. It establishes Megatron and Optimus as Primes, which is why nobody else can really deal with them.
There have been two hints (one in each film) that Megatron and Optimus have a somewhat more complicated relationship than simply "RAR I WILL DESTROY YOU".

In the first, it was Optimus Prime' comment that "you left me no choice, brother."

In the second, it was Megatron telling Prime that inside Sam's brain was the future of their race, almost trying to convince him to leave off.

Anyway, Megatron killing Prime outright was easily one of the best moments in the film.
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

Vympel wrote:Anyway, Megatron killing Prime outright was easily one of the best moments in the film.
Visually outstanding shots in the scene as well. Remembering how the old optical visual effects necessitated locked off shots (which made simple scenes like the helicopter tracking shot of the Tauntaun at the beginning of ESB a miracle for its time)... the Optimus death scene had a fantastic camera tracking shot following his collapse to the ground. We don't realize he's falling on his side until the camera kept moving and focused on Sam. Then, it hits us: The horizon is vertical.

Shortly after that we have the aerial camera sequence that tracked Bumblebee's approach, then Sam runs into the car and he drives off. In the meantime, we see the Autobots giving cover fire as the (virtual?) camera held its vector while tracking Bumblebee and floated into the trees.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Old Plympto wrote:
Vympel wrote:Anyway, Megatron killing Prime outright was easily one of the best moments in the film.
Visually outstanding shots in the scene as well. Remembering how the old optical visual effects necessitated locked off shots (which made simple scenes like the helicopter tracking shot of the Tauntaun at the beginning of ESB a miracle for its time)... the Optimus death scene had a fantastic camera tracking shot following his collapse to the ground. We don't realize he's falling on his side until the camera kept moving and focused on Sam. Then, it hits us: The horizon is vertical.

Shortly after that we have the aerial camera sequence that tracked Bumblebee's approach, then Sam runs into the car and he drives off. In the meantime, we see the Autobots giving cover fire as the (virtual?) camera held its vector while tracking Bumblebee and floated into the trees.
Yeah it was technically awesome. It was a pleasant surprise too, since I was pretty underwhelmed by the first action scene - the camera was all over the place for most of it, and Ironhide's transformation - the first we saw - was naff. Optimus as "Big Buddha" made up for that naffness, though.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Bay said that Dwight's character was based on a professer he had at university who tried to seduce female students.
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

I saw the movie on Saturday with my girlfriend and mom.

I have to say, I loved it. Really it was exactly what I wanted and expected from an action movie: people shoot things, they explode, then people explain the plot, someone explodes, shoot more, roll credits. I've been accused of not "defending" it by some media snobs but I have no reason to defend it...there is nothing wrong with it, as an action movie. If you were expecting a drama or something then yeah I guess you got hosed son, but I'm fine with that. I honestly wasn't impressed by the first movie, had to many "deep" moments which, as my girlfriend will tell you, only make me laugh. This movie just let the giant killer robots be giant and kill things. If you can't enjoy that, really I don't even know what to say.

I guess, some people like "deep", dramatic shit but for me, it's either disgusting or hilarious. I mean, I intend to go see both Precious and My Sister's Keeper just for the humor aspect...both of those trailers had me howling so loud I was afraid I'd get thrown out of the theatre. Revenge of the Fallen is one of the few movies in a long time that honestly just made me smile, I enjoyed it a great deal, and if you're not some faux-intellectual indie movie whore-snob then I recomend it. I don't rate movies really, but if I did, I'd say four out of five stars...frankly I did find some problems...Soundwave didn't do enough, could have included an Autobot Combiner for Devastator to fight. But that's just nitpickery.

I will say that the hilarious fallout of the Twins is almost as entertaining. My mom, and me, and my girlfriend enjoyed them both and frankly they were very funny. In fact my mom liked them more than Sam, and she thinks he's "adorable". Seriously she's like a Shia LBouf fangirl it's...disturbing. My favorite character though, was Sam's friend...who reacted to the situation with the same grace and courage (i.e. none) that a normal person would.

Everyone who cares about looking "intellectual" tells me it was a bad movie, but my response is usually to tell them to shut up. What I especially loved, and frankly I would have financed the movie myself just for this, is the sheer, mind-blowing level of outright butt hurt the movie critics the world over are expressing...not even the "important" attention whores like Ebert (yeah I know, sacred cow, whatever. Fuck Ebert) but even the ones on the internet. I utterly despise movie snobs and watching them all cry themselves to sleep at night over this movie makes my heart swell with joy. I've been trotting around the internet trolling them for days now, it's been a blast. :D

Anyway, yeah I know, bad taste all that. Don't care. And so Havok doesn't go apeshit on me and get HOSed again, no I'm not a fanboy.
Kanye West Saves.

Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen haiku...

Sitcom humor, ugh.
Huge robots break each other.
America! Fuck yeah!
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Ted C wrote:Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen haiku...

Sitcom humor, ugh.
America! Fuck yeah!
:lol: Classic.

It's more along the lines of "Amerrrikkkkkerrrr, fuck yerrrrrrrrrr!"

That would ruin the haiku though. What are the rules again?
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

edit: i had a long response but forget it...I'm not going to get into an argument over Revenge of the Fallen.

I liked the movie, I just don't get the criticisms of it.
Kanye West Saves.

Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Vympel wrote:That would ruin the haiku though. What are the rules again?
If I'm doing it right, five syllables in the first linke, seven in the second, and five in the third. Supposedly, it should also have a pastoral theme, but...
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

18-Till-I-Die wrote:I liked the movie, I just don't get the criticisms of it.
I love the movie to hell and think it's absolutely awesome - but I can understand that objectively and logically, under the rules of good moviemaking, that Revenge of the Fallen could be considered as a cinematic atrocity.

The movie is a goddamn glorious mess. A totally RADICAL one! YEAH!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Ted C wrote:Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen haiku...

Sitcom humor, ugh.
America! Fuck yeah!
Brilliant! But do the exclaimation marks violate the blandness of spoken haiku?
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay