nBSG ep 4.19: "Daybreak" pt 1 Talkback (SPOILERS)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Rate This Episode

21%
34%
18%
16%
11%

Total votes: 56

tim31
Sith Devotee

Re: nBSG ep 4.19: "Daybreak" pt 1 Talkback (SPOILERS)

Post by tim31 »

Hey, in the mini Tigh even exclaimed 'jesus!' in response to more bad news.

EDIT: You're all WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG. I just listened to the word about sixteen times over and he says frakking. Try it for yourselves.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Minischoles
Jedi Knight

Post by Minischoles »

tim31 wrote:Hey, in the mini Tigh even exclaimed 'jesus!' in response to more bad news.

EDIT: You're all WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG. I just listened to the word about sixteen times over and he says frakking. Try it for yourselves.

It says both, as far as i've seen in this and some other threads it appears the original had him saying Fucking, but those released through stuff like Hulu and itunes had been edited to Fraking.
“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary. “
- James Nicoll
Glom
Youngling

Post by Glom »

I'm beginning to suspect we're not going to actually find a grounded explanation for Kara's return. I think they're going to chalk it up to the One True God. Baltar was suggesting something along those lines and it would be in keeping with the foreshadowing of 'Maelstrom' itself.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

I definitely heard James Callis drop "fucking" instead of "fracking" in the original broadcast. Even with Callis's accent, you can't make a short "a" sound like a short "u". I figured it was deliberate--"What are they going to do? Cancel us?" I always thought of "frak" as a glitch in the "magic translator", not a Colonial curse word that just happens to sound like "fuck" that's used in the exact same manner.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

tim31 wrote:Hey, in the mini Tigh even exclaimed 'jesus!' in response to more bad news.

I don't know what version you got, if it was edited, but I just listened to the recorded version that was broadcast friday on TV and he very clearly says Fucking. Very clearly.

I thought it was done to highlight a brief reversion to his original dialect/accent when his father was ribbing him about it all.
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

I do seem to remeber that the broadcast version I watched used fucking, but the version I have on my computer definitely uses frakking.
My brother and sister-in-law: "Do you know where milk comes from?"
My niece: "Yeah, from the fridge!"
Deathstalker
Jedi Council Member

Post by Deathstalker »

I did a double take, he said "fucking" on the Friday broadcast. Why he said it I don't know. Either the take was so good they didn't want to reshoot, or they figured what the hell, it's cable. I've heard far worse on Comedy Central late on Saturday nights. My problem is why. I like "frakking" and it's one of the best made up swear words ever. Shock value does have its place and may have been what they after. That and RDM never getting a chance to swear on ST or DS9.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

By itself, the episode only gets a 3, but Final judgment will be held until the second two-thirds.

Oh, on the Podcast for 4.20, Moore said that the podcast for the finale will be a unified one.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

Deathstalker wrote:My problem is why. I like "frakking" and it's one of the best made up swear words ever. Shock value does have its place and may have been what they after. That and RDM never getting a chance to swear on ST or DS9.
It's also totally possible that it just slipped the actor's lips in that big emotional scene and was totally unintentional, and that they either didn't notice until it was broadcast, or they didn't come around to overdub it earlier. And I really don't know why it's such a big deal.
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

Sure it wasnt an accented Hey Zeus? ;)
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

I was refering, of course, to the audio clip that JLTucker posted.

In that clip he says frakking.

I haven't scrutinized the original broadcast yet but I remember him saying fucking in that.

JESUS.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

The original broadcast on Australia's sci-fi channel has him saying frakking.

How disappointing to know that we seem to be getting the syndication version.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

tim31 wrote:I was refering, of course, to the audio clip that JLTucker posted.

In that clip he says frakking.

I haven't scrutinized the original broadcast yet but I remember him saying fucking in that.

JESUS.
I listened to the clip I posted once more. He does indeed say "frakking". The "r" is very subtle. And that's a clip from the original broadcast.
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

Just a quick thanks to everyone who posted spoilers from the teaser for the next episode. Thanks a bunch. :finger:

I really enjoyed this episode, much better than the previous few weeks. There were some powerful scenes that brought real emotion. I can't wait for next week.
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Ubiquitous wrote:Just a quick thanks to everyone who posted spoilers from the teaser for the next episode. Thanks a bunch. :finger:
Because the thread clearly wasn't marked "SPOILERS" in big capital letters or anything. :roll:
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
LMSx
Jedi Knight

Post by LMSx »

I listened to the clip I posted once more. He does indeed say "frakking". The "r" is very subtle. And that's a clip from the original broadcast.
I'd like to second this- the r sort of sneaks in, but it's there.

Notes:
1) I loved that Hera kept drawing the notes, and that Cavil was completely clueless about what they meant. :lol: "Clearly she's gifted." The only down note was carried over from "Islanded", once main characters start lecturing about the Great Destiny of Hera, I start cringing.

B) The pre-credit scene actually exists, they just did a really good transition from the recap into Adama talking to Tigh.

Finally, I agree with whomever said that the Roslin backstory was just too much angst. The Kara, Lee and Zack scene, and the Baltar/Six scenes were great because they fleshed out already existing elements in the show. But killing Roslin's family just felt overly gratuitous. SEE how miserable they all are? Eh?
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

General Zod wrote:
Ubiquitous wrote:Just a quick thanks to everyone who posted spoilers from the teaser for the next episode. Thanks a bunch. :finger:
Because the thread clearly wasn't marked "SPOILERS" in big capital letters or anything. :roll:

This debate was done to death with the stargate sg-1 threads, but wasnt an amnesty reached that only spoilers for the episode in the thread title were implied by the title?

Perhaps I'm misremembering.
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Zac Naloen wrote: This debate was done to death with the stargate sg-1 threads, but wasnt an amnesty reached that only spoilers for the episode in the thread title were implied by the title?

Perhaps I'm misremembering.
I don't see why the distinction matters, really. I'm unaware of any such agreement though; it just seems incredibly asinine to whine about any kind of spoilers in a thread that's CLEARLY labeled as having spoilers.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

It matters because it seems to many that the title imples spoilers only about the episode in question. Not the next.

Not that it bothers me,but I do have definite memories of this debate happening when SG-1 was still on air and well watched.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Is it implied Hera has Force like precog powers as well ? Or is her powers more like reality warping that actively changes the universe to whatever she wishes ?
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Sarevok wrote:Is it implied Hera has Force like precog powers as well ? Or is her powers more like reality warping that actively changes the universe to whatever she wishes ?
. . . .what? Where are you getting this idea from?
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

So far the implication i've got is that she is subconciously tapping into the same source that provides the inspirations for Baltar and Starbuck.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

I think Roslin standing in the pool might look really bad and cheesy to us, but I think they were going for the 'religious' angle there. Like, she felt like God(s) was talking to her or some shit, and that's where she got the Messiah complex from.

So yeah, it's extra angst, but they might have been going for the other angle too.
XXXI
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Phantasee wrote:I think Roslin standing in the pool might look really bad and cheesy to us, but I think they were going for the 'religious' angle there. Like, she felt like God(s) was talking to her or some shit, and that's where she got the Messiah complex from.

So yeah, it's extra angst, but they might have been going for the other angle too.
I figured that they were going for the religious angle with that scene too, but it really still just came off as cringe inducing and didn't work that well at all.
apocolypse
Jedi Knight

Post by apocolypse »

General Zod wrote:I figured that they were going for the religious angle with that scene too, but it really still just came off as cringe inducing and didn't work that well at all.
See, I'm going to be the exception to the rule here. For some reason I found it oddly beautiful. I can't put my finger on exactly what it was, but it just worked for me.