Btech @ hoth

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Straha
Lord of the Spam

Btech @ hoth

Post by Straha »

Suppose that instead of the imperial fleet popping up at hoth, a two clan task force of Snow Raven(Best air and largest warship fleet) and Goliath Scorpian (Great Ground but small fleet) land on hoth to attack like the Imps did. They brought along enough supplies for a month battle for the 12 cluster ground/air force. What happens?
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Darik Sdair
Youngling

Post by Darik Sdair »

Clans arrive in orbit and deliver Batchall. Rebels respond with Ion Cannon, Raven carrier experiences uncontrolled re-entry into atmosphere.

Scorpions make assault drop, and wreak havoc against Rebel infantry, but have serious problems against the anti-armor emplacements (my strictly off-the-cuff calculations put Star Wars weapons firepower about an order of magnitude greater than CBT -- at least). Proton torpedos compound the problem (CBT units have a serious vulnerability to nuclear attack).

If elementals can get into Echo Base, I think they'll succeed in taking it, but the initial armored assault won't have the shock effect and breakthrough capability of the Imperial one. I think, and it depends alot on how many dropships are able to make assault drops before the ion cannon picks them off, that the Rebels have a chance of losing the facility, but will have much more time to evacuate their troops, and will have a much less crushing experience in the land battle outside the base.
Banzai!
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

The ion cannons are designed to fire on behemoth SW Cap ships not tiny Slivers that the dropships and warships are. Also they would just jump in on the opposite side of the planet from the Ion cannon and land there. WHat you did leave out, though, is the fact that air support also means fighters and that ion cannons only disable, not destroy, ships.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member
Location: Either ISD Nemesis, DSD Demeter or outside Coronet, Corellia, take your pick

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

Ion Cannon will decimate DropShips, X-Wing cover will take care of the rest. They'll be lucky to touch the ground.
::sig removed because it STILL offended Kelly. Hey, it's not my fault that I thing Wedge is a::

Kelly: SHUT UP ALREADY!
Darik Sdair
Youngling

Post by Darik Sdair »

I have to confess too, I entirely forgot to take the Hoth theatre shield into account regarding the ground assault. The inability of the BT forces to make a combat drop is going to seriously impair their ability to get mobile forces into close range with the Rebel trenchlines. Consequently, the BT forces will probably take even heavier losses approaching the base.

Still, given the relatively weak forces defending Hoth and the large proposed BT force, I think BT could carry the day in the end. However, it would involve unacceptable losses - especially for the "waste not" Clans.
Banzai!