Myth of the Picard Manuver(TM)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Jack Lain wrote:Master of Ossus - sorry for a lack of a quick reply

I agree with you 100%. For some reason the ST ppl are not able to react in time to the PM move. Perhaps its because their computers are crap? Too slow to calculate the new position?
Perhaps it is due to my feelings that the writers are fucking idiots who only want Picard to equal Kirk? Or perhaps there is another explanation, ST commanders are idiots who do not see the obvious and require a super advanced andriod to figure it out for them. Or an engineer to make up some words to explain why they are fucking doomed?

/rant time again
How can anyone watch that show and not throw their hands up and into the air and not think, "I can write better than this!!!" Jebus, it is crap!!!
/end rant

-Jack "back again" Lain.
Hmmm.... Perhaps their computers are slow as hell. They seem to be in other episodes. And yes, I could easily write better than some of their episodes. And yes, I think the Picard Maneuver was a lazy attempt to make Picard as good as Kirk.

BTW, Picard never seemed to fight anyone else throughout the series, I wonder what kind of alien possessed him while he was fighting the Ferengi from the Stargazer. Maybe it was because his former captain started the fight, and so he was going to end it? But anyway, I have no idea why the Picard Maneuver worked, but it seems to have done so (impossibly). I guess all ST officers, regardless of race, are morons. That whole Ferengi crew should be posthumously given Darwin Awards, and their estates should be seized by the Nagus. :D
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Jack Lain
Padawan Learner

Post by Jack Lain »

It really is unfortunate. I mean, I really like Star Trek TOS. It's a good show, well, its campy, but hell, still a good show.
Star Fleet is the military and the UFP is realistic. With ambassadors representing themselves to Earth and this being outside the UFP and all. We see human beings, reacting to "what if" situations, and they survive and win. That is really cool. To see us be the victors and able to overcome horrible situations or struggles.

But by season 4 of TNG and all over DS9 (for me) it just loses it. Man is no longer capable of success without some bullshit android or alien or some other fake shit allowing him to win. And mein got, but by the time Voyager starts it has lost all its fire and become ... crap - total crap. Man is reduced to a fleeing vessel and subject to all the forces in the Universe and well, should just lie down and die cause they cannot possibly fend for themselves. Fuck that! And hell, I could go on and on with rants about the fake nonsense Vulcan induced government of the Federation. You must be kidding me??? Vulcan logic is the religion in TNG. What a load of crap. Roddenbury must have been smoking some hard-core shit to allow DS9 to be written. Perhaps B&B drugged him up like Howard Hughes to get him to sight. Hmmm, conspiricy anyone?

-Jack "TOS Fan - Kirk Rocks" Lain.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Actually, he Gene Roddenbury was dead when DS9 was conceived. He had no input on that show. He would be rolling over in his grave if he saw an episode of Enterprise.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

Jack Lain
Padawan Learner

Post by Jack Lain »

But do you think that they dummify (tm) man? I mean, we go from a multi-culture Enterprise to an Alien answer show.
It's kinda sad for me. Even Spock was under Kirk. Why then does TNG make humans so weak. I really dislike that and it was one of the things that I like about TOS. Humans reaching their potential. Why is that suddenly not PC??? Humans overcoming obstacles. That is a great thing.

We are the masters of our world, soon to be Solar System, soon to be our little part of the Galaxy, soon to be the Galaxy itself. - boy I really wish I was immortal to see all this. darn.

The only thing that can stop humanity is itself, well that or a big rock tomorrow. I'm not ruling out the big rock theory. heheh

-Jack "off to play cs" Lain.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Actually, one of the things I really appreciated about B5 was that humans were not the most powerful race in existence. I thought it was kind of an interesting and unusual way of looking at the B5 universe, that way.

BTW, with ST I know what you mean. What seems even more difficult to fathom is how the humans were so easily able to userp the Vulcan's technology from them, to the point where the Vulcans seemed subservient to them by the time of TOS and TNG. In just a few decades from Enterprise and First Contact, Humans were in the driver's seat. You're right. That "can do" attitude among people was part of what made TOS fun, but it makes no sense when combined with the rest of what we know of ST "history." It doesn't seem possible for Earth to have become so powerful so fast.

Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

BTW guys, REAL funny tidbit that sort of sums up Trek and Roddenberry's vision. After WOK as filmed, Roddenberry was furious about several things, ie Spock dying....but the one that just made me guffaw and say "Yep, thats teh TNG for you." he said that Kirk should not have just blasted teh brain parasite, he should have tried to communicate with it, by blasting it he was a murderer. WTF??!?.

If that is Gene's ultimate vision then that explains the pussification of ST in the TNG era.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Stravo wrote:BTW guys, REAL funny tidbit that sort of sums up Trek and Roddenberry's vision. After WOK as filmed, Roddenberry was furious about several things, ie Spock dying....but the one that just made me guffaw and say "Yep, thats teh TNG for you." he said that Kirk should not have just blasted teh brain parasite, he should have tried to communicate with it, by blasting it he was a murderer. WTF??!?.

If that is Gene's ultimate vision then that explains the pussification of ST in the TNG era.
Really makes you wonder what the TOS would have been like if Roddenberry had been given carte blanche to really do everything how he wished.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Man, Enterprise really ISN'T what he wanted for the series, is it? He really would be rolling over in his grave, if he wants them to fight less and talk even more!