Canon Question

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Moonstone Spider
Youngling

Canon Question

Post by Moonstone Spider »

A bizarre what if.

A book is written as a crossover (in real life) pitting SW against ST. Being part of the EU, it is accepted as Star Wars Canon. Being not on-screen, Star Trek considers it non-canon. Would you accept this book as canon in an argument? What if it showed the Federation getting Crushed? Them about Even? The Empire getting spanked?
Webcomic Junkie.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

The Book would have to pass both SW and ST EU Laws

ST EU laws of course being Books are not cannon(only Script and Epsoides) and SW being that they are if we say so :shock:

That answear your question?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

It would have to get approval to be written by someone involved with lucas' company and if it contradicted star wars at all/too much it would get made. So this cuts any Fed victory getting published. I've read 2 crossover fan fics so far(I need to read wongs). One, federation was given an edge that fed weapons went right through Imp shields. Even so it required Cloak Strifing to deal well, minor damage. The other was a vomitous piece of shit that was just the wet dream of a pathetic brittish school teacher. To be polite I won't say Graham Kennady's name. Well shit. Ok I won't correctly spell his name.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Moonstone Spider
Youngling

Mr Bean
The Book would have to pass both SW and ST EU Laws

ST EU laws of course being Books are not cannon(only Script and Epsoides) and SW being that they are if we say so:shock:
SW books aren't canon unless you say they are? Since when, I was under the impression that everything in the EU was canon unless it contradicted the movies, and we accepted Lucasfilm's defintion, not Mr. Beans. I can't quite understand your answer, are you saying you'd just ignore it?

It would have to get approval to be written by someone involved with lucas' company and if it contradicted star wars at all/too much it would get made. So this cuts any Fed victory getting published. I've read 2 crossover fan fics so far(I need to read wongs). One, federation was given an edge that fed weapons went right through Imp shields. Even so it required Cloak Strifing to deal well, minor damage. The other was a vomitous piece of shit that was just the wet dream of a pathetic brittish school teacher. To be polite I won't say Graham Kennady's name. Well shit. Ok I won't correctly spell his name.
Yeah, the fanfictions are often very bad. But I'm talking about a real book, and Darksabre contradicts other Canon right left and center and was still published and is even canon except for the bizarre parts (for instance I don't think anybody believes building the Executor bankrupted the Empire but Darksabre says it did. . .) Then there's the SW Christmas Special. . . nuff said there. So basically I have little trouble suspending disbelief enough to think some executive could push this through and publish such a book even if it looked fairly one-sided in the Federation's favor if they thought it would make money. And come on, it's a what if, don't tell me it's impossible. This is vs. Debating, we consider six impossible things before breakfast (convinient wormholes appearing by themselves composing 2/3 of those things).
Webcomic Junkie.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

It would probably be deemed apocryphal in SW, also. Not all SW books are official. Many comics, for instance, and the Galaxy of Fear are considered apocryphal. In all likelihood such a book would be termed apocryphal by both sides.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

The Trekkies will say it has no standing, since Trek will lose. The Warsies will say that it does, since Wars will win.

That answer your question?

(Well, okay, granted, I can think of hundreds of scenarios in which ST will win - most involve individuals or greater ship counts for ST - but if it's the standard "Imps invade the Federation", well, you know...)
The Great and Malignant
Moonstone Spider
Youngling

Why are people having so much trouble getting the point of the first post that THE BOOK IS A CANON PART OF THE EU? I said it was accepted as cannon via some money grubbers scheme and asked how you would deal with it, and all I get are people saying it wouldn't ever happen. I know that, that's why it's called a what if.
Webcomic Junkie.
Jack Lain
Padawan Learner

Post by Jack Lain »

What??? They answered your question. What are you missing?

ST won't accept it, SW will. So we are in the same boat as we have always been. Dumb ass Trekkies claiming that we only have lasers and dumb ass Warsies say that in the story we kicked your ass.

WTF???

Come on guy, they answered your question. Did I miss something here?

-Jack "Bad Mood, cannot play CS" Lain.
Moonstone Spider
Youngling

Apparently you missed the various posts saying "It would never be written" and "It would be considered Apocryphal" which violates the basic premise of the debate.

SPOOFE's post took place at the exact same time mine did, you will notice, and he finished after I started thus when I made my post I didn't see his, I was replying to all the ones before that.
Webcomic Junkie.