nBSG "Exodus Pt 2" (Next Week Spoiler Free)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Srynerson wrote:So much for the 'stache. :cry: / :D
Don't worry, when the Mustache is most needed, it will return again to defend humanity. :)
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Zed Snardbody
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zed Snardbody »

Gil Hamilton wrote:
Srynerson wrote:So much for the 'stache. :cry: / :D
Don't worry, when the Mustache is most needed, it will return again to defend humanity. :)
The mustache will light our darkest hour!
The Zen of Not Fucking Up.
Galiv
Youngling

Post by Galiv »

Soontir C'boath wrote:They must have really went over the normal budget for this one.
According to Moore's podcast the Caprica story line with all the sets and extras put the show in a budget hole even before the season started filming.

He also said that spreading Exodus over 2 episodes helped reduce costs as originally it was planned to be a single ep, but both the story and financial reasons made more sense having it a two parter.
CDiehl
Jedi Master

Post by CDiehl »

Roslin and her legitimacy as President is likely going to be something that HAS to be covered at some point.
True enough. Technically, isn't Zarek now the President, since he was Vice President under Baltar? Of course he had spent most of the occupation in detention, so maybe he isn't, but he is the next person in line who was elected. It was cute to see Roslin come on board Colonial One and sit in the big chair, but I don't think that makes her President. She'd spent the last few months as a teacher, and has no place in the political hierarchy anymore.
For the glory of Gondor, I sack this here concession stand!
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

That is true. I think that Zarek right now rightfully can claim to be the new President of the Colonies, since Baltar is assumed both dead and a traitor. Of course, people are going to want Roslin.

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

So.... how many cylons in the fleet now? We only know of seven models, right? And there's twelve. I know Boomer gave away how many cylons were in the fleet prior to New Caprica (8), but how many are left? I can't remember iwho that 8 included, either. Dualla is still definitely under suspicion.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

There are five remaining Cylon models.

ROT13 spoilers: Gur erznvavat svir ner abg vasvygengbef. Gur znva frira ner uneqjverq abg gb guvax nobhg gur bgure svir.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

By the way, did anyone notice the subtleties of the show like raiders following the Pegasus and shooting it like the vipers did with the reserrection ship? There's probably more but this one is stuck in my mind at the moment. It's nice to see small stuff like that.

Another thing, given the damage we saw of the Galactica, does anyone else think the forward dorsal batteries are gone?
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Macross
Jedi Master

Post by Macross »

CDiehl wrote:
Roslin and her legitimacy as President is likely going to be something that HAS to be covered at some point.
True enough. Technically, isn't Zarek now the President, since he was Vice President under Baltar? Of course he had spent most of the occupation in detention, so maybe he isn't, but he is the next person in line who was elected. It was cute to see Roslin come on board Colonial One and sit in the big chair, but I don't think that makes her President. She'd spent the last few months as a teacher, and has no place in the political hierarchy anymore.
The issue does need to be addressed, but I don't think Zarek would actually challenge her for the presidency. He was very protective of her and they both seem to have made peace with each other. Plus I think he may even be developing an "interest" in her. :P
Iraq Weather Report: Sunni today, Shi’ite Tommorow

The Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Frankenstein...Wasting a minute of your time!
Zed Snardbody
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zed Snardbody »

Now theres a love triangle.....
The Zen of Not Fucking Up.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Zed Snardbody wrote:Anders took his sweet time.
I was thinking that too. The fleeing prisoners shouldn't have hampered him more than Starbuck when she ran "upstream". It was as if a giant troll came out and blocked his way for five minutes.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Shadow WarChief
Rabid Monkey

Post by Shadow WarChief »

Soontir C'boath wrote:
Zed Snardbody wrote:Anders took his sweet time.
I was thinking that too. The fleeing prisoners shouldn't have hampered him more than Starbuck when she ran "upstream". It was as if a giant troll came out and blocked his way for five minutes.
Well keep in mind Starbuck knew where she was going. After losing her around a corner (probably), and would've had to check every room to find her.

Yes, he was the one that took her out of her cell to begin with, but he wouldn't have known Starbuck was necessarily going back there to get this "Kaycee" she just told him about 5 seconds before running off.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

MKSheppard wrote:
Shep, don't go about insulting people over such trivial things. You have your opinion, the majority of the board has one that disagrees with you.
Hey moron, The Peagasus coming in to save the day at the last minute was no surprise to me, because last week, some fucktard talked about the pegasus being shot at in the preview for next week, so I knew Lee would come in and save the day...

Perhaps you like having the surprise and thrills of the best god damn show on television in the last fifteen fucking years ruined for you, but I damn well don't.
Big man shep. Gotta insult those who don't mind watching trailers. Of course the person you were talking to was full of shit because the previews for this episode had nothing about the Peagasus being shot at.

I have to wonder if you skip out on the scenes that show up in the credits. Those are spoilers too.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

Ok, I'm going to call it and sound the Toaster alarm.

My prediction is that Ellen Tigh will be back.

It would be the ultimate mind screw for Col. Tigh, I can't wait.
VRWC : Justice League : SDN Weight Watchers : BOTM : Former AYVB

Resident Magic the Gathering Guru : Recovering MMORPG Addict
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

CDiehl wrote:Who else saluted as Peggy went head-on into the basestar?
My roomate and I raised our glasses of Battlescotch to her sacrifice. Anyway, I still think that the New Caprica arc was ended too quickly (ala the Dominion occupation of DS9 in Season Six), but this episode was the best of Season 3 thus far. Galactica entering the atmosphere, Gaius stuck with the Cylons (nice throwback to the oBSG), Saul killing Ellen, Pegasus going out in a blaze of glory, the Cylons retrieving Hera, Rosyln reclaiming her chair and ship, and more chants of "Adam! Adama!" Very good.

4/5
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

And I forgot to add Gaeta pulling the gun on Baltar (great considering his arc/friendship with Baltar from early season 1 onwards) and that my roomie and I were right after all; Conoy was fucking with Kara. Should make the Starbuck/Anders situation interesting from this point onwards.
tumbletom
Padawan Learner

Post by tumbletom »

Did they mention what the population count was? I hope Cottle made it out...
keep on tumblin, just keep tumblin

TUMBLE ON MY FRIENDS!!!!

"And the trogdor comes in the night...."
"Not this night he doesn"t!!!....um Come in the night!!!um... Trogdor!!!"

-Vin Diesel was the person screaming when Boba Fett died.
-Vin Diesel will grant you three wishes if you can guess Yoda's last name.
-Vin Diesel is the only one to use all 2 gigabytes of Gmail space.
-Vin Diesel is Darth Vader's father.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

tumbletom wrote:Did they mention what the population count was?
No such number mentioned.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

RedImperator wrote:I think it's reasonable to spoilerize any information from the previews,
I agree.

As dealing with or merging these threads would entail my actually reading them, and I don't want to do it, I'll just say 'don't do it again' - Next week, let's have one (1) BSG thread, with 'preview' stuff in text size 3 or below.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Netko
Jedi Council Member

Post by Netko »

Just watched it. The drop from hell is, just, AWSOME is such an inadequate word to describe it. The minute I saw it I knew it was one of those SCI-FI scenes that you know people will mention years later as an example of how things should be done in such a show. The only way it could have been even better is if the ol' Bucket let 'er rip a bit as she was doing the drop, but that is such an insignificant nitpick that I feel almost ashamed of posting it.

And boy, Adama really takes the meaning of close air support literaly.

Baltar being such an enormeous traitor to humanity doesn't sit that well with me. Where they have been very careful to have real consequences for bad decisions of other characters (Pegasus biting it being the ultimate one), Baltar just seems to shrug it all off. Yeah, he's not exactly in a good situation right now, but on the other hand, he should have been dead for his many misdeads all the way back in the miniseries. Him still breathing seems to be a big tease on the side of the creative team behind BSG.

All in all, wow, I'm just stunned at how good this episode was.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

Soontir C'boath wrote:The battlestars' hull took a damn good beating. Even the Pegasus' structure was still intact (before crashing into a basestar of course).
The jumping into lower atmosphere, taking massive thermal energies from a several kilometre fall and then jumping back into space and taking combat damage says something about the strength of the armour.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Okay just finished watching it.

Jesus that was some awesome stuff. I mean hell I havn't seen a science fiction episode of a TV series this good in many many years.

I do think Galactica got made a bit of a bitch a LITTLE too easy, when looking at the range she was fighting the Base Ships at (point blank). Granted her fighter cover was busy downstairs or around the Nebula. BUt at point blank range at LEAST I would expect her to be able to really put it out to the Cylons. Though with her restricted main battery LOS its not impossible to fight at a disadvantage at that range.

Still it was nice to see the Cylons simply fire missile after missile at point blank with little chance to intercept. But Jesus Galactica came out okay in the 'after' shot with the fleet, all things being equal.

Pegasus OTOH has forward batteries capable of beating the crap out of Base Star in short order as well as significant flank batteries. She should have been able to drive into three base ships at once and take them all on at LEAST pounding them significantly enough to hurt them and was strong enough to duel 3 Base Ships to a standstill, damaging one. Of course she was banged up considerably, probably beyond field repair ability in that engagement, damage that probably lasted right up to her death.

What I'm sorta getting at is that (at least in my low resish copy) with the exception of the first Base ship Pegasus pwned, none of the other Base Ships really looked at any point like they HAD been taking a pounding.

Excepting Pegasus's awesome spitting in their face death move of course. SPeaking of that. Lee's simple 'Thankyou' to Pegasus as he left CIC for the last time was almost like a final redeaming of the ship from the legacy of Cains tenure, that finally the ship had put those horrors behind it and went out like a Colonial Battlestar SHOULD go out, taking a crapload of Cylons to hell with her.

Still, the episode had highlights outside the space firefight for me.

Tigh and his Wife...that was just heartbreaking. Everything she went through to save him, proving just how much she had grown to love him and just how much she was willing to do to SAVE him...and Tigh was forced to kill her. THe way he just started to break down after getting back aboard Galactica and his best friend gets pulled away before he can try to help him...just heartbreaking.

I would have liked to see Sharon (Agathon) involved in the fighting on the ground. I mean it would have been cool for her to be the one to fly Colonial One out or something, blasting Toasters on the way to it. Well and disturbing.

Looking at all the infastructure they left behind....yeash. That can't be good. I also hope some of PEgasus apparent infastructure (I'm betting part of the reason for the twice the size - half the crew design of the Mercuray class is significant manufacturing) has been spread around to the fleet.

Great to see Kelly again trying to choreograph to whole damn assault as well as Kat, Racetrack and the rest of the Galactica gang.

I would have liked to see the Raptors after doing their decoy run doing something useful like a nuke swarm against a Base Ship or something. See how THEY like it!

Anders is actualy starting to really grow on me. His long experience fighting a resistence against the Cylons shows up again here.

The Resistance uprising looked a little sloppy. Trying to issue weapons to all the units AFTER you've set off two dozen bombs? They got boged down by a handful of Centaurians and if not for the Vipers flying close air support may have been completly stonewalled. They needed to deliver their first punch harder. 'Boomer' (original Galactica model) really didn't do anything at all here.

We also see something of the Cylon mindset. They don't want to kill humanity, apparently having decided that their genocide was a mistake or sin or something. But they DO want to control humanity.

Roslyn was at her finest as a moving force of energy in the middle of the chaos. The way she pointed to 'her ship' that she was taking to Tom was just classic.

Now the Pegasus crew (it looks like Lee only took a skelaton crew into the battle) has to integrate with Galacticas. Don't think they will be that much of a problem, they've been together long enough. Hell Galactica was being decommisioned originaly and Pegasus had half the full crew complement of Galactica....and lost at least 700 to Centaurians Gina let on.

In short Galactica for the first time might actualy HAVE a full crew!!

IN short, this episode rocked.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:No such number mentioned.
Chances are they'll be recounting for a while now.

Chris:
Remember, the Galactica was at half strength itself too and it just took significant surface damage from the Drop from Hell. In fact, the specficially mention their DRADIS and main batteries were damaged and they were trying to bring them online, which makes sense because both would be outside of the Galactica's hull. Plus, with Galacticas fighters out providing air support for the evacuation, there wasn't much to keep the Cylon Raiders from flying in and shooting up their main batteries. You'll notice that when the Pegasus shows up, there is no point defense intercepting missiles and none of her guns are shooting, meaning that they are out of ammo or their guns have been taken out. Plus with all the nukes going off on it's surface, chances are Adama's ship was out of any means to hurt anything. Chances are, it's going to be that way for a while and Galactica won't be able to fight except with Vipers for the time being.

CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

But Jesus Galactica came out okay in the 'after' shot with the fleet, all things being equal.
This annoys me, actually. After all that, you should definately see some surface damage on Galactica. You can see some burnings and explosions and such on the dorsal surface during the battle, and she looks really really bad, and yet with the fleet it's the normal kind of look. There's a brief shot of Galactica's little damage control screen, and over 50% of that fucker was in the red. The ship was beyond in bad shape.

I figure it's just that they'd shot their wad with all the rest of the effects that they had to go back to generic shots. But it would be nice if they didn't pull a Trek and always show the ship in pristine condition at the end of the ep, and instead showed the scars of battle.

And yeah, Peggy and Galactica should have done more, but as was already mentioned, they were really working with piss poor crew levels. They did a real good job having Galactica be something of a silent as a tomb kind of feel through most of the first half of the season. It was much quieter in CIC during the battle than in previous engagements.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

I wonder what doofus decided it was a good idea to fill Pegasus' CIC with useless glass panes that shatter when a missile hits the other side of the ship? I know it's the cheap way to show the situation's dangerous, but those things are a health hazard. At least they could've used plastic if they really needed something transparent.