What do you think of 2001: A Space Odyssey?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Shinova
Emperor's Hand

What do you think of 2001: A Space Odyssey?

Post by Shinova »

(I know I mispelled something in there)

The film. What do you people think of it? Like it? Hate it?
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Off to OSF.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Kubrik was a master. So is Clarke. 'Nuff said.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

I was completly and utterly baffled the first time I saw it. several viewings later.. and I still am :?
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

A lot of people absolutely despise it for being too wierd and too boring; I enjoy it for exactly those qualities; why wouldn't alien activites be inscrutable, and slow paced does not always equal boring.
Not when there's a visual feast onscreen, especially.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

The movie dropped the ball hugely in the last bits of it. None of it made sense, whereas the book made slightly more but not necessarily comprehensible.

Reading the other books was quite an experience, though I'm not sure if it's a good or bad one. It just makes me think we should grab every world but Europa, just to be safe.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Currald
Jedi Knight
Location: Portland, Oregon, North America, Tellus, Sol System, First Galaxy

Post by Currald »

It's my favorite movie. I have my own theories about the end scenes, and other have their own, which is what the director intended: a nonlinear, audiovisual experience which the viewer would map their own meaning upon. Some people don't like that kind of cinema, but I find it to be stimulating.

Plus, love that space station!
Clear Ether, Currald
Cao Cao
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cao Cao »

Generally I liked parts of it. But overall it was incredibly dull to me.
Frankly I think it needed some serious editing. For example that scene where the guy on the Discovery runs along the.. uh gravity wheel or whatever it's called. It just went on and on and on and on.

I enjoyed 2010 a lot more. It had all the grace and imagination of 2001 but without the utter bland dullness of half the movie.
Granted the ending was a little preachy though.
"I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode."~Teal'c
Currald
Jedi Knight
Location: Portland, Oregon, North America, Tellus, Sol System, First Galaxy

Post by Currald »

Cao Cao wrote:I enjoyed 2010 a lot more. It had all the grace and imagination of 2001
(smacks forehead in horror) Oh! 2010 was so boring next to 2001, IMO. It just held the viewer's hand and walked them from here to there. There were no broader themes about the what it means to be human, just, as Homer Simpson said, a lot of stuff that happened.
Clear Ether, Currald
Cao Cao
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cao Cao »

Currald wrote:
Cao Cao wrote:I enjoyed 2010 a lot more. It had all the grace and imagination of 2001
(smacks forehead in horror) Oh! 2010 was so boring next to 2001, IMO. It just held the viewer's hand and walked them from here to there. There were no broader themes about the what it means to be human, just, as Homer Simpson said, a lot of stuff that happened.
I didn't really see any of that in 2001 you see. Just a lot of long, pretty shots. Like Star Trek: TMP but not as boring and listless.
What mainly interested me in 2010 was that it was sort of HAL's story, leaving the sinister killer computer thing behind.[/i]
"I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode."~Teal'c
Prozac the Robert
Jedi Master

Post by Prozac the Robert »

I read the book first. I did enjoy the film though. I think it depended on me being in the right mood though. The same sort of mood required to watch a long snooker match perhaps.
Hi! I'm Prozac the Robert!

EBC: "We can categorically state that we will be releasing giant man-eating badgers into the area."
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

2001 is one of those things where I understand and admire the artistry, talent, and hard work put into its production, and I certainly do enjoy and appreciate the broader themes and the visual journey we're taken on, but I find that actually watching the darn thing is just too darn boring to do more than once.
Proud member of the no sigs club.
Dennis Toy
BANNED

Post by Dennis Toy »

I enjoy 2001: A Space Oddysey. People say it was boring but i find it visually enjoyable. I like the ideas this movie gave to the audience. Hal-9000 was actually enjoyable.
You wanna set an example Garak....Use him, Let him Die!!
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

I don't object to long shots...if they're actually pretty. Maybe I'm spoiled, and it's better enjoyed if you were around in the 60s, but I don't need to watch an elevator descend for five minutes, even if it is on the moon.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Scientifically accurate or not, 2001 proves that SciFi movies should have sound in space. If that wasn't annoying I don't know what is.
I feel about 2001 the way I feel about the LOTR books-an extremely interesting idea badly presented. The sequels were much better.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Cao Cao
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cao Cao »

Batman wrote:Scientifically accurate or not, 2001 proves that SciFi movies should have sound in space. If that wasn't annoying I don't know what is.
I agree somewhat, though I think soundless space does work if implemented the right way. Especially with good music. Firefly is a good example of this, as is the space station sequence in 2001 itself (though again it's another scene that goes on forever).
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

2001 was quite possibly the greatest 30-minute short film ever made.

Unfortunately, it wasn't 30 minutes long.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Intensely boring, overlong, and incomprehensible.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Spacebeard
Padawan Learner

Post by Spacebeard »

I always felt that the silence greatly added to the dramatic tension in key scenes, such as Frank's death and the famous "open the pod bay doors" sequence. That's not to say that every movie should have silence in space, but it certainly works as a dramatic device in 2001.

All I'll say about the pacing is that I've never been bored by any part of 2001 except the closing SFX show. An actual scene with sets, actors, and props gives you details to look at: an abstract mathematically-defined light show does not. On the other hand, I also enjoy Tolkien's prose and Tsai Ming-Liang's film direction, so I apparently have a longer attention span than some.

Another reason why I don't particularly care for the ending is that I've never been fond of Clarke's penchant for writing godlike alien beings. I always prefer SF to deal with that which is comprehensible to the human audience: the technology and society of humans, or of aliens with reasonably humanoid minds. I liked 2001 better when it was dealing with the Discovery and HAL than when it was dealing with a acid trip-inducing black stone, and I liked the Rama series better when it was dealing with an artifact from a highly advanced alien civilization than when it was dealing with God. That is, however, a matter of taste just like the pacing.
"This war, all around us, is being fought over the very meanings of words." - Chad, Deus Ex
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

I loved it if for only HAL. The red eye is just so hypnotic,
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Classic film. I didn't like it when I first watched it because I didn't understand it, in my defence I first watched it when I was in primary school, but it grew on me. I haven't seen it in years though.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Pretentious, rambling and vague. But not a bad movie per se, just a very weird film and a product of it's time. And from what I've seen of it, it has not really dated either.
Nyrath
Padawan Learner

Post by Nyrath »

Excellent film!
Of course I had the advantage of having read the book before I saw the movie. And I seem to have a longer than average attention span.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

I like it a lot, but I have to be in a particular mood for me to really be able to sit down and enjoy it.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I was bored. Really bored.

It just kept going. :(
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin