Why does no one kill the God Emperor? (40K)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

Currald wrote:Well, the Eldar are getting a new codex this autumn; maybe they'll see some development. Certainly the Space Marines, Tyranids, and Tau all advanced somewhat since 3rd edition.
I take it they have completed the design by now, then. :?
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Stravo wrote:
NecronLord wrote:The last couple of 'world campaigns' (including this years one) have occured in 998 and 999.
Have the world campaigns really ever affected the meta game world? I mean I can imagine a scenario where you may have lopsided Chaos victories that may put the IoM in a very precarious position that makes storytelling a little difficult for fluff pieces.

Or I guess the make sure the world games couldn't affect THAT much of the gaming universe.
Yeah, they do. An Imperial world was destroyed in the "Eye of Terror" campaign because of a fuckhead in our local gaming store who can't run any army without losing horrifically. He lost the game utterly, then the store was one of the few in the world with one of the event cards which was scheduled to be unveiled after that game. The event card that was unveiled was one that massively multiplied the effect of that one game. And seeing as it was a complete slaughter, that, combined with the card was what allowed Abbadons planet killer to destroy an Imperial World. Sure, one world isn't a big loss, but it was a hinge point for that campaign over the most critical point in the 40K galaxy.
Lazarus
Jedi Master

Post by Lazarus »

weemadando wrote:
And seeing as it was a complete slaughter, that, combined with the card was what allowed Abbadons planet killer to destroy an Imperial World. Sure, one world isn't a big loss, but it was a hinge point for that campaign over the most critical point in the 40K galaxy.
Are you sure? In the writers bio at the end of the 13th BC source book it says of Andy Hoare:
'The defining moment of the campaign came when Andy Chambers canvassed his opinion on whether the prison world of St Josamanes Hope should be destroyed. Having been brought up on a diet of big budget sci-fi movies, there was only one possible answer...'

I think the destruction of Hope was pre determined.
If you're talking about the other two worlds destroyed by the Planet Killer (now I think about it Hope was destroyed by an Inquisition strike team), I think they may not have been pre determined, but I'm not sure. They were Macharia in the Cadian system and the agri world Lortox, either ring a bell?

In universe, since the end of the EoT campaing Chaos forces have been driven from the Cadian system (once the attack momentum was lost this was easier to accomplish), however many worlds and systems are still held by chaos. The status of the Cadian Gate is marginally better off since the campaigns conclusion, however Chaos forces can now strike outside the eye with much more ease than previously.
Currald
Jedi Knight
Location: Portland, Oregon, North America, Tellus, Sol System, First Galaxy

Post by Currald »

Lord Zentei wrote:
Currald wrote:Well, the Eldar are getting a new codex this autumn; maybe they'll see some development. Certainly the Space Marines, Tyranids, and Tau all advanced somewhat since 3rd edition.
I take it they have completed the design by now, then. :?
I think so. There are a lot of credible (and less than credible) rumors flying around warseer and dakkadakka about new models and rules.
Clear Ether, Currald
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

What about all the rumors of the Demiurg models and the Mars Pattern Battlecruisers? It seems like half of these things make it to the prototype stage and then just disappear.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Currald
Jedi Knight

Post by Currald »

Hey! There are two or three Demiurg models! What's the big deal? Are you trying to suggest that they'll just scrap the Eldar or something? C'mon.
Clear Ether, Currald
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

My point is that the two Demiurg models do not make up a whole army of models, preferably plastic, no matter how many rumors there are about them. And I'd really like to have some squats or neosquats! Imagine the diorama possibilities with the Nids. You can almost taste the Golden Demon... I've even considered buying some dwarf thunderers and adding squatty bits to them.

Also, how long do we have to wait to see some frickin' new BFG models? There've been rumors for years, but still no new models.

Yes, the Eldar stuff will probably be cool. Probably.

That is if it turns out to be more than just rumor.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Currald
Jedi Knight

Post by Currald »

Well, I've seen pictures of the new models on GW's website, so I think we're past the rumour stage. New orks are at the rumour stage, now! :wink:

I, too, miss the Squats. I've got an Epic army of 'em sitting on the shelf right now, and recently aquired a couple of squads for 40K. I imagine they'll trot 'em back out when they're good and ready.

As far as BFG models go, I'm sure there'll be some sooner or later. Fanatic has been getting less money budgeted to them lately, so new releases are a bit thin on the ground. They just came out with new Epic and Inquisitor models, so it seems like it must be Gothic's turn pretty soon.
Clear Ether, Currald
Anomie
Padawan Learner
Location: Between the begining of time and the end of the universe

Post by Anomie »

Lost Soal wrote:The Imperial palace occupies Europe. His personal protection is a Leigion of Marines called the Adeptus Custodes, whichare more powerful than normal marines, there are two Titans standing guard outside the throneroom and no-one gets in without special authority. That includes, I believe, The High Lords of Terra who are the defacto rulers.
(emphasis mine)

This might just be fan created wank, but I remember reading that the Golden Throne is built upon a portal to the Eldar webway, and that Eldar have spoken directly to the Emperor in his throne room.
You shall be the instrument of my vengence. Through you I shall scream out my wrath unto the heavens.
"Explosions fix everything" - Nabeshin - Excel Saga
"When you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss comments on how you have no social life."
"We jumped the shark AND took its wallet" My friend commenting upon our groups dinner conversation.
CoVD:We are all but a part of a dream that Vin Diesel is having.
Church of Perverts: As the Lord commands, so shall we do. And do. And do.
slebetman
Padawan Learner

Post by slebetman »

Stravo wrote:Keep in mind that I didn't imagine a betrayal in the sense of storming the palace. I mean more of a enemy within type situation where Chaos corrupts one of his close advisors or care takers and they kill the Emperor because they see him every day or something - of course me being unaware of the fact that he seems to be segregated in the palace and obviously no small feat to go see him now see how much harder that scenario would seem.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Emperor can very well defend himself in such a scenario. His body may be nothing more than a bag of bones but his psychic mind is nothing to laugh at. If I remember correctly in the Inquisitor psykers will shit themselves if they are summoned to an audience with the Emperor. This is a guy who eats human souls and I'm guessing he does that psychicly rather than through machines. Does this ability only apply to psyker souls or to all human souls?
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

Anomie wrote:
Lost Soal wrote:The Imperial palace occupies Europe. His personal protection is a Leigion of Marines called the Adeptus Custodes, whichare more powerful than normal marines, there are two Titans standing guard outside the throneroom and no-one gets in without special authority. That includes, I believe, The High Lords of Terra who are the defacto rulers.
(emphasis mine)

This might just be fan created wank, but I remember reading that the Golden Throne is built upon a portal to the Eldar webway, and that Eldar have spoken directly to the Emperor in his throne room.
It isn't totally fan made, the Golden throne technically "was" an attempt by the emperor to enter the Webway.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Which reminds me. As I've yet to get the first Draco book, how does he get in to see the Emperor?
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

With great difficulty, IIRC.

Firstly, by (ab)using his inquisitorial authority to get onto a Black Ship. He tells the captain that traitors are using the Black Ships to smuggle stuff to Earth, so he and his entourage are to be sent down to the surface in statsis pods. After that, they basically bum around Earth for a year or so, during which time they have to resort to various ruses to survive. In one such rues, Draco pretends to be an Inquisitor, and is surprised to remember that he actually is[/]i] one. As to how they actually get into the Throne Room, it appears that the Emperor, or a part of his consciousness, assist him to sneak past the Custodes.

Oh, and apparently, one denomination of the Imperial currency is the Denarius, 2 of which are enough to buy a day out for two at a cafe at the top of a spire, and 2 cups of real coffee.
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"