Why does no one kill the God Emperor? (40K)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

Killing a chaos god you say? An interesting idea. Too bad GW will never ever grow a pair big enough to do it. I've never played WH40K mini games, except for advanced space crusade and ordinary space crusade.
But I know the setting and have participated in a few rpg games set in 40K.
It has some interesting stuff in it and I've stolen/borrowed some of it to my games.

Maybe there's a small chance of something huge happening. Slaanesh is IMO a bit useless chaos god and killing it I think wouldn't really disturb the general status quo. It would go some ways of showing the world is not completely stagnant.
Nah. I'm getting a bit soft it seems. Let's not kill Slaanesh. Let's neuter it. :twisted:

-Gunhead
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

"And if you don't wanna feel like a putz
Collect the clues and connect the dots
You'll see the pattern that is bursting your bubble, and it's Bad" -The Hives
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

NecronLord wrote:Of course, if I had creative control of 40K, the necrons would look radically different too. C'tan another pantheon of Dark Gods™? Gah.

That annoyed me no end. I'd rather have written them as ancient-enemies of the Old Ones/Slaan that despise and fear warpcraft, and warred with the Slaan over their passing it on to other races. They'd be a whole race, with design-your-own C'tan rules, like tyranid stuff or the guard-regiment-design rules. Coming to about 200 points each, with necron armies representing each C'tan's own teracotta army.

Evil human-snorting bastards isn't so bad, but I'd rather have had space-tomb-kings than space-vampires. But a vaguely reasonable race instead of cardboard cutouts like the nightbringer, with near-zero story potential.
The Nightbringer is a mite two-dimensional, fortunately Mephet'ran is rather less so. The Outsider would have been a more interesting foil to the Deceiver. And yeah, the idea of the C'Tan as Tomb Kings is a good one at that.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Gunhead wrote:Maybe there's a small chance of something huge happening. Slaanesh is IMO a bit useless chaos god and killing it I think wouldn't really disturb the general status quo.
You're kidding. The Eldar would no longer have to fear death nearly as much. Their race could reunite, the Laughing God could come out of hiding, the Emperor could begin putting the thumbscrews on the other chaos gods in their psychic battle, and possibly even spare the energy to begin assaulting the Tyranid's interstellar communications.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

Lord Zentei wrote:The Nightbringer is a mite two-dimensional, fortunately Mephet'ran is rather less so. The Outsider would have been a more interesting foil to the Deceiver. And yeah, the idea of the C'Tan as Tomb Kings is a good one at that.
GHETTO: Mind, the idea behind the C'Tan may have been all about ressurecting the Gods of Law from the days of yore and Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, after a fashion. But the Warp had become so synonymous with Chaos that they could not base the Gods of Law there - so they make them masters of the physical universe instead.

I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Lord Zentei wrote:The Nightbringer is a mite two-dimensional, fortunately Mephet'ran is rather less so.
Yeah, but unfortunately, he has to do everything. Outwit the farseers (*Cringes, that was bad*) manipulate abaddon, supposedly, do whatever hes' up to on Mars...
The Outsider would have been a more interesting foil to the Deceiver. And yeah, the idea of the C'Tan as Tomb Kings is a good one at that.
They suffer from having the same goal as the 'nids, too. The idea of them being star-born critters is neat, but they'd be much more interesting, IMO, as an uber-scientific and cultured bunch that think everyone should just bow to their collossal wisdom, and abandon gods and demons and sorcery. Kind of like the Tau, but with a plausible motive for their arrogance, beyond idiocy and hubris (as in the case of the Tau, who seriously seem to think they're going to conquer the galaxy).
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Lord Zentei wrote:GHETTO: Mind, the idea behind the C'Tan may have been all about ressurecting the Gods of Law from the days of yore and Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, after a fashion. But the Warp had become so synonymous with Chaos that they could not base the Gods of Law there - so they make them masters of the physical universe instead.
Gods of Law is pretty nifty, but they could probably fill that role by being ultra-scientific atheists, without actually being the star-eating monsters that they are. Without psychic abilities, and thus keen to destroy the warp.

Also, it'd make more sense of how they got so many pariahs when they're supposedly rare. Somewhere beyond the Gates of Varl there'd be entire raes of human pariahs living on C'tan planets.

Perhaps their plan for eliminating chaos, rather than some giant cycloptean thing with a dyson sphere (probably), could be dissemminating the pariah gene to all races, stopping the feeding of the warp gods.
Last edited by NecronLord on 2006-04-20 04:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

The Tyranids were diminished no end when they no longer conspired, sent ambassadors, instigated genestealer cults and so on and so forth. This diminishment was part and parcel of the asinine minimalism that was rampant in the early 3rd edition. Seriously, what were they thinking?

And as for the Tau: they can't count past a hundred, apparently.

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Lord Zentei wrote:The Tyranids were diminished no end when they no longer conspired, sent ambassadors, instigated genestealer cults and so on and so forth. This diminishment was part and parcel of the asinine minimalism that was rampant in the early 3rd edition. Seriously, what were they thinking?

...Okay. WHy can't they count past a hundred?
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Lord Zentei wrote:The Tyranids were diminished no end when they no longer conspired, sent ambassadors, instigated genestealer cults and so on and so forth. This diminishment was part and parcel of the asinine minimalism that was rampant in the early 3rd edition. Seriously, what were they thinking?
Well, it seems to be played down, rather than retconned per se. There's still mention of 'stealer cults and whatnot.
I'm reminded of my reaction when told that the reason for the prominance of '40' (days, years, whatever) in the bible is that one of the languages it was in had no discrete words for 40 and many.

"My Lord King Herod, 40 Romans are coming to attack us!"
*Legion turns up, to face 100 jews*
"As I said, King Herod, many Romans are coming..."
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

SirNitram wrote:...Okay. WHy can't they count past a hundred?
They get belligerent and threaten the Imperium, when they live on 100 planets, and seriously seem to believe that the Imperium stopped the crusade because they couldn't destroy the Tau.
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

SirNitram wrote:

...Okay. WHy can't they count past a hundred?
Public schools. Space commies, and all that, you see.

Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

NecronLord wrote:
SirNitram wrote:...Okay. WHy can't they count past a hundred?
They get belligerent and threaten the Imperium, when they live on 100 planets, and seriously seem to believe that the Imperium stopped the crusade because they couldn't destroy the Tau.
Actually, it's more likely some of the designs staff who are "no-math" types.

But if the Tau had emerged beyond the 70000 ly range of the Astronomican and had colonized, say, a few thousand planets at least, and if they were more realistic in their appraisal of the overall situation (for instance taking the long view instead of this "we're invinncible!!!" stuff), they would work a whole lot better.

Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

NecronLord wrote:
Gunhead wrote:Maybe there's a small chance of something huge happening. Slaanesh is IMO a bit useless chaos god and killing it I think wouldn't really disturb the general status quo.
You're kidding. The Eldar would no longer have to fear death nearly as much. Their race could reunite, the Laughing God could come out of hiding, the Emperor could begin putting the thumbscrews on the other chaos gods in their psychic battle, and possibly even spare the energy to begin assaulting the Tyranid's interstellar communications.
I just don't think it's that big of a deal. All storylines need a good shake up every now and then and last time GW failed to produce anything new, they made the necrons.
40K really needs a good kick in the butt. When I was first introduced to 40K, I found it had some good stuff in it. Today they just rehash all the boring stuff they've ever made with just different places and names. And they add bigger explosions and evil xenos into the mix. Not to mention all the doom and gloom gathered from angsty vampire players/LARPers.

-Gunhead
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

"And if you don't wanna feel like a putz
Collect the clues and connect the dots
You'll see the pattern that is bursting your bubble, and it's Bad" -The Hives
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Returning to why they don't let the Eldar do anything, it seems they're keen on the Tolkien cliché of the time of the Eldar being past. However, the difference is, Tolkien's Eldar had somewhere to go where their race wasn't 'fading' but in fact, presumably getting more and more powerful over time, and even then, off-screen, his pointy-ears did their bit.

GWs Eldar have none of those advantages - they can't run off to Valinor - their backs are against the wall. It's rather rediculous to just keep on declaring that chaos is beating them, having said one will take the effects of the EoT campaign, where the Eldar managed to actually get close to the heart of the Eye and establish enclaves. The 40K Eldar are just being made to abide by the cliché, because that's what the writers are comfortable with, when in all honesty, they should be beating arse.

Publishing an 'Phoenix Eldar' codex would break with the cliché, and they can't have that, can they?
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Lord Zentei wrote:for instance taking the long view instead of this "we're invinncible!!!" stuff
Humm. House rule:

"I'll Bite Yer Legs off!": When reduced to 0 wounds, Ethereals immediately regain one, but are only able to move 3 inches per turn, and may only consolidate. This represents them remaining in the fight after the aputation of limbs, and attempting to kick their enemies, or bite their legs off.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

NecronLord wrote:Publishing an 'Phoenix Eldar' codex would break with the cliché, and they can't have that, can they?
For that matter, BL could clean up producing a novel version. They could even solicit Ian Watson or Bill King, or some other author I happen to like, to write it. (Jaq Draco! Avatar of the Laughing God. :twisted: )

---

On the Tau. They should have someone, possibly the nids, destroy one of thier major septs. The Tau get to mete it out, but it's about time they got scarred appropriately.
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

NecronLord wrote:
Lord Zentei wrote:for instance taking the long view instead of this "we're invinncible!!!" stuff
Humm. House rule:

"I'll Bite Yer Legs off!": When reduced to 0 wounds, Ethereals immediately regain one, but are only able to move 3 inches per turn, and may only consolidate. This represents them remaining in the fight after the aputation of limbs, and attempting to kick their enemies, or bite their legs off.
§1.2: They may keep using this ability on a d6 roll of 4+ if they are modelled as wearing a black tabard and chainmail. :P :lol:

Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

NecronLord wrote:
NecronLord wrote:Publishing an 'Phoenix Eldar' codex would break with the cliché, and they can't have that, can they?
For that matter, BL could clean up producing a novel version. They could even solicit Ian Watson or Bill King, or some other author I happen to like, to write it. (Jaq Draco! Avatar of the Laughing God. :twisted: )
Hee. Shitstorm potential: I like it.
NecronLord wrote:On the Tau. They should have someone, possibly the nids, destroy one of thier major septs. The Tau get to mete it out, but it's about time they got scarred appropriately.
There is hope for that now that they are set to begin delving into the Warp proper.

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Lord Zentei wrote:§1.2: They may keep using this ability on a d6 roll of 4+ if they are modelled as wearing a black tabard and chainmail. :P :lol:

So that's why they've started wearing black robes and low-rent Time Lord collars...
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

NecronLord wrote:
Lord Zentei wrote:§1.2: They may keep using this ability on a d6 roll of 4+ if they are modelled as wearing a black tabard and chainmail. :P :lol:
So that's why they've started wearing black robes and low-rent Time Lord collars...
Lol.

Actually, it's a bit of a pity since they managed to give them oodles of interesting character and background. If only the design staff could count past a hundred (sigh).

Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

NecronLord wrote: On the Tau. They should have someone, possibly the nids, destroy one of thier major septs. The Tau get to mete it out, but it's about time they got scarred appropriately.
Kroot, meet 'Nids.
Lets see who's genetic manipulation is better.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Has there been any change in the Orks status since they ended EoT in posession of two forgeworlds?
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Currald
Jedi Knight
Location: Portland, Oregon, North America, Tellus, Sol System, First Galaxy

Post by Currald »

Well, the Eldar are getting a new codex this autumn; maybe they'll see some development. Certainly the Space Marines, Tyranids, and Tau all advanced somewhat since 3rd edition.

I don't think the Tau see time the same way we do. They are probably culturally incapable of sitting back and waiting before doing something. They're advancing so quickly that they have a lot of momentum. Plus, they're fanatics.
Clear Ether, Currald
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Lost Soal wrote:
Kroot, meet 'Nids.
Lets see who's genetic manipulation is better.
I seem to recall a mention in the Tau codex that Kroot shapers try and keep their people from eating 'nids.
Shadowtraveler
Padawan Learner

Post by Shadowtraveler »

The Kroot also ate some Chaos-mutated humans once (apparently all Slaanesh worshippers).

Said Kroot horribly mutated and turned on the Tau Cadre they were fighting alongside. The Kroot that remained burned the bodies of their infected brothers after the Tau wtfpwned them and the rest of the Chaos forces (including a Champion of Slaanesh, no less)