Why does no one kill the God Emperor? (40K)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Most people have covered it already.

Nobody kills the God Emperor because they don't have a fucking clue what might happen when he dies.

There are several options:

1) He becomes the new Warp God of light and destroys/negates the Chaos Gods

2) He becomes a new dark Warp God and unifies and intensifies Chaos.

3) He dies and that is all - though with the Astronomicon gone, Warp Travel for humanity is now impossible, or at least so dangerous as to be not worth it at all.

The first two are the most popular with groups such as the Inquisition, Chaos theologians, Eldar and the Hydra Conspiracy, many of whom actively trying to kill the GEoM to achieve the result and happily wagering the universe on the coin toss of which way he falls.

As for why he hasn't been killed yet, there is a fucking awesome picture of the last chamber that people must pass through before they can see the GEoM. Its a towering chamber that is literally FILLED with Adeptus Custodes and with a liberal smattering of Titans of many variants around it. That's his PERSONAL bodyguard in ONE ROOM of the palace.

There was another theory I seem to recall: he dies and Humanity is destroyed instantaneously (IIRC this theory was bandied around by some Inquisitors in a fluff piece way back when - it had to do with the GEoM being a spiritual anchor for humanity in the universe). Unsurprisingly I don't even rate that one.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

IIRC in the Inquisitor Draco books didn't Draco manage to sneak all the way into the Emperor's chamber only because the Emperor willed it, and then the Emperor froze time to talk to him psychicly or something?

You can tell those books were written in 2nd ed times can't you.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Stark wrote:it's going to become increasingly stupid that the C'Tan plan never actually happens. We'll all be here in ten years, saying 'LOLZ NecronLord, your Necropansies STILL haven't done shit all yet'
Given how unlikely it is that they'll ever advance the plot into the 42nd mellennium, it's not an issue. The C'tan only really started working again a few hundred years 'ago.'
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Oh true, it's not like other bad RPGs where they're locked into some kind of realtime-gametime thing. There isn't even really a 'now' in 40k stuff, is there? Like, 41,002 - MAY :)

Still, it'll never happen. So all they've done is removed the mystery and replaced it with an Evil Plan that will come to nothing. :(
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

Stark wrote:GR, that's why I'm not a fan of - as far as I can tell - GW filling in the blanks over the last decade. It *used* to be - from my limited exposure - possible to conjecture, and be uncertain, etc. Now, everything is laid out, and it's going to become increasingly stupid that the C'Tan plan never actually happens.
There is still plenty of room for conjecture. As has been pointed out, we don't even know what happens if the GEoM is killed. Though he is healing, slowly, is is also established that it is becoming increasingly hard to keep him alive. Not everything is laid out at all.

Moreover, the idea that he really is "Jesus" was not all that hard to figure out even in the Rogue Trader days (though I do object to too much of his backstory becoming known; it sort of ruins his mystique).
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Well that's it - when I just had the basic 2E, even stuff that was mentioned in the fluff was hardly conclusive from a historiography perspective. But now... it's not just one source, it's the whole fucking game. I *liked* the mystique, and it allowed the Imperium to be *wrong*.

Is 'Rogue Trader' a book, or a piece of fluff? I'm not sure if I should know what it is.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Stark wrote:Well that's it - when I just had the basic 2E, even stuff that was mentioned in the fluff was hardly conclusive from a historiography perspective. But now... it's not just one source, it's the whole fucking game. I *liked* the mystique, and it allowed the Imperium to be *wrong*.

Is 'Rogue Trader' a book, or a piece of fluff? I'm not sure if I should know what it is.
Rogue Trader was the original book form of 40K. It was a warband set-up where every character has his stats and equipment randomly rolled, and everyone has access to virtually the same equipment, i.e. Tyranids armed with Bolt Guns and such.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Rogue Trader was the original 40K game that all the others came from, AFAIK.

Its got some fluff books, i think, like sourcebooks and such that explain the 40k Universe but i think now most of that is out the window cause of retcons.
Kanye West Saves.

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Stark wrote:Oh true, it's not like other bad RPGs where they're locked into some kind of realtime-gametime thing. There isn't even really a 'now' in 40k stuff, is there? Like, 41,002 - MAY :)
Actually, there is. More or less. It's all taking place sometime in 999.M41. Cause, after all, it *is* Warhammer 40,000... and it just wouldn't sound the same if it was Warhammer 41,000, would it? :wink:
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Actually its entirely possible, and many backdoors have been left open, for them to continue well into the 42nd Millennia.
Kanye West Saves.

andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

2000AD wrote:IIRC in the Inquisitor Draco books didn't Draco manage to sneak all the way into the Emperor's chamber only because the Emperor willed it, and then the Emperor froze time to talk to him psychicly or something?

1st ed times, actually. Towards the end, especially the sequels to Inquisitor/Draco, but still 1st ed.
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

andrewgpaul wrote:
2000AD wrote:IIRC in the Inquisitor Draco books didn't Draco manage to sneak all the way into the Emperor's chamber only because the Emperor willed it, and then the Emperor froze time to talk to him psychicly or something?

1st ed times, actually. Towards the end, especially the sequels to Inquisitor/Draco, but still 1st ed.
The sequels were actually in the era of 2nd ed.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
technomage
Padawan Learner

Post by technomage »

Who is Draco?

Eisenhorn or Ravenor?

Damn, I'm going to have to read those books sooner or later.
"Mother, implement Case Omega."
-the last time Colin MacIntyre gives an order without thinking it through.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

technomage wrote:Who is Draco?

Eisenhorn or Ravenor?

Draco=character from Inquisition War trilogy.

Gregor Eisenhorn=originated in the Inquisition RPG, became the subject of a trilogy by Abnett.

Ravenor=former acolyte of Eisenhorn's, now a full-fledged Inquisitor of his own. The subject of two books and presumably an upcoming third, also by Abnett.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

technomage wrote:Who is Draco?

Eisenhorn or Ravenor?

I havent read any of them, but I was into the hobby when they started appearing so I know when they're from even if I dont know much about what they are.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Currald
Jedi Knight
Location: Portland, Oregon, North America, Tellus, Sol System, First Galaxy

Post by Currald »

You guys forgot to mention the cult that wants Him to die so he'll be properly reincarnated. You know, as something OTHER than a big piece of rotten meat. Damned if I can remember what they're called.

40K actually USED to be "real-time," from 1987-1999 (987M41-999M41), but, yeah, they stopped before it became "Warhammer 41,000."
Clear Ether, Currald
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

The Hydra Conspiracy is the one you are referring to I believe...
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

weemadando wrote:The Hydra Conspiracy is the one you are referring to I believe...
No, they want to place a giant warp monster to turn humanity into a collective.
He means the Illuminati who are also the ones who tried to gather the Sensei and are composed of many formerly possesed by Chaos [who are now free].
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Ah, as opposed to the order headed by the Harlequin man who wished to kill him to give birth to the starchild...
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

weemadando wrote:Ah, as opposed to the order headed by the Harlequin man who wished to kill him to give birth to the starchild...
Those are the Illuminati [the Harlequin human man was possesed by Chaos once].
The plan is to gather the Illuminati then when the Emperor finally fails/dies to sacrifice the Illuminati vastly increasing the chances of the Emperor becoming a true good Warp god.
Problem is, the Inquisition have killed most of those meddling do gooders [the Sensei].
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

DEATH wrote:
weemadando wrote:Ah, as opposed to the order headed by the Harlequin man who wished to kill him to give birth to the starchild...
Those are the Illuminati [the Harlequin human man was possesed by Chaos once].
The plan is to gather the Illuminati then when the Emperor finally fails/dies to sacrifice the Illuminati vastly increasing the chances of the Emperor becoming a true good Warp god.
Problem is, the Inquisition have killed most of those meddling do gooders [the Sensei].
You got that slightly backwards. The plan is to gather the Sensei at the foot of the Golden Thrown, and sacrafice the Sensei.

The majority of the fluff, I believe, all still says that should the Emperor fall, the minds of every psyker will become an open gateway and Chaos will flood into galaxy consuming everything. From what I can tell, all the methods by which The Emperor assends require outside intervention, and aren't even known for sure.

Point being, Emperor just dies, everyone fucked, Some outside organisation succeeds in their plan, everyone MAY be saved. Or not, its all conjecture.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

Stark wrote:Well that's it - when I just had the basic 2E, even stuff that was mentioned in the fluff was hardly conclusive from a historiography perspective. But now... it's not just one source, it's the whole fucking game. I *liked* the mystique, and it allowed the Imperium to be *wrong*.

Rogue Trader = 1st edition, a randomized warband game as others have pointed out. Those were the days that a lucky mutant really could eat an army for breakfast.

Later on, there were actual army books to go with Rogue Trader: including the Lost and the Damned which was one of the books for Chaos (the other was Realm of Chaos, iirc). In 2nd Ed, they were forced to trim 75% of the stuff and have a single Chaos book only half as long as either of its predecessors (in 3rd edition, they halved the length of the Codex books again, which led me to remark that eventually we would be playing a kind of snakes and ladders - thankfully that was not to be and the 4th edition books showed an increase in size to almost, but not quite, 2nd edition standards).

Anyway: as has been pointed out in Stravo's "why doesn't anyone kill the Emperor" thread, quite a lot of the background fluff for the Emperor was in fact from the Lost and the Damned, hence it is 1st edition. What I'm worried about is an exessive amout of more stuff appearing in Black Library publications.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Lazarus
Jedi Master

Post by Lazarus »

Oh true, it's not like other bad RPGs where they're locked into some kind of realtime-gametime thing. There isn't even really a 'now' in 40k stuff, is there? Like, 41,002 - MAY Smile
I'm pretty sure 'now' is no actual date. I have the recent source books for the 13th Black Crusade and the Sabbat Worlds Crusade, the conclusions of both of which are set 'now'. In the 13BC book, 'now' is 999 M41, whilst in the SWC book 'now' is 775 M41. I think its best to say events are occurring in the latter half of M41.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

The last couple of 'world campaigns' (including this years one) have occured in 998 and 999.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

NecronLord wrote:The last couple of 'world campaigns' (including this years one) have occured in 998 and 999.
Have the world campaigns really ever affected the meta game world? I mean I can imagine a scenario where you may have lopsided Chaos victories that may put the IoM in a very precarious position that makes storytelling a little difficult for fluff pieces.

Or I guess the make sure the world games couldn't affect THAT much of the gaming universe.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2