Wich has more power, The Lexx or the Death Star?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Wich has more power, The Lexx or the Death Star?

Post by PunkMaister »

We know that both the Death Star from Star Wars and the Lexx from both Stories of an alternate universe miniseries and the show of the same name as the ship can both blow up planets.

But does anyone know which one is more powerfu and how do they stack up against one another.

I do remember that the Lexx has at least 2 modes for planet busting. In one it emits a beam that slices the planet in half after which it explodes and another in which the planet is shattered entirely.

So anyone?
ImageImage

Visit my site:
------------------------------------------
http://scifiverse.tk/
Jadeite
Racist Pig Fucker

Post by Jadeite »

Death Star, it destroys a planet far quicker and violently.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Well, The Lexx is kinda alive, He's funny, can talk to ya, looks like a Giant Space Bug, and considering it can do the same job as the Death Start at a fraction of the over all size... The Lexx is cool.

But, since you ask which is more Powerful well, I would think that is a no brainer...
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

The Lexx's power is clearly close to that of the Death Star when it fires, but since it needs to eat, and the DS is sustained by a reactor that apparently runs for quite a while on superdense fuel, the DS takes the win.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Space Bug! Get the Space Bug spray!
PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister »

Solauren wrote:Space Bug! Get the Space Bug spray!
*Me imagines the Lexx crew watching a gigantic can of raid on the viewscreen.* :mrgreen:
ImageImage

Visit my site:
Srynerson
Jedi Knight

Re: Wich has more power, The Lexx or the Death Star?

Post by Srynerson »

PunkMaister wrote:But does anyone know which one is more powerful and how do they stack up against one another.
As others have pointed out above, the Death Star (both versions) is capable of generating a more powerful blast. On the other hand, we know the Lexx can fire two planet-destroying shots within three minutes or so. (If anybody has the third season finale in which Fire & Water are destroyed on video, they could check the exact time.) I'm not sure either Death Star has that ROF for planet-destroying shots. The Lexx is certainly more maneuverable than DS I (and presumably DS II), since we've seen it maneuver to intercept roughly starfighter-sized vehicles. On the other hand, it obviously has nowhere near the armor and we've seen its hull/exoskeleton damaged by impacts that I would suspect are far weaker than an HTL shot, let alone a super laser. (Would it be possible to establish the force of the impact from the giant parasite's tongue in "Eating Pattern"?) Both versions of the Death Star obviously have certain additional advantages in terms of starfighters, assault troops, etc. Also, can anyone recall if the Lexx's docking bay can be secured? It always seemed to me that outside forces were able to board the ship without difficulty.
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

Its organic, of course it doesn't have the armor of a battlestation.

For the organic part, I think that the superweapon and and the organic are two structures. During the Earth season, where the crew was on Earth, the 790 was used to fire the main gun. Unfortunately, it hit Mir.

So the main gun still had power, but the Lexx itself was starving. So Lexx, the rganic, might control the main gun, but it doesn't provide all the power for it. It would fire lesser blasts due to the need for the organic to control it being reduced, but it could still fire.

So there could be metallic sensors, metallic main gun, but all of it goes across an organic core. Without that core, the system is a lot less useful. The organic can be used to slowly grow new emitters, but the metal power plant still provides the power.

Of course, why they never fused the metal powerplant with a giant leaf inside the ship for free photosynthesis, I don't know.
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

If you compare Power:Mass, Lexx wins hands down, probably by orders of magnitude.

The Death Star, however, destroys planets reeeeeaaaaaallllly bad, and if it needed to blow up several non-shielded planets in a row could just tune down the superlaser to 5% power and still get the job done. (Presumably. DS II definately has the ability to quickly fire the Superlaser at lower power.)
brianeyci
Emperor's Hand

Post by brianeyci »

Coalition wrote:Its organic, of course it doesn't have the armor of a battlestation.

For the organic part, I think that the superweapon and and the organic are two structures. During the Earth season, where the crew was on Earth, the 790 was used to fire the main gun. Unfortunately, it hit Mir.

So the main gun still had power, but the Lexx itself was starving. So Lexx, the rganic, might control the main gun, but it doesn't provide all the power for it. It would fire lesser blasts due to the need for the organic to control it being reduced, but it could still fire.

So there could be metallic sensors, metallic main gun, but all of it goes across an organic core. Without that core, the system is a lot less useful. The organic can be used to slowly grow new emitters, but the metal power plant still provides the power.

Of course, why they never fused the metal powerplant with a giant leaf inside the ship for free photosynthesis, I don't know.
That so doesn't make sense. Lexx could be starvng, but have enough left in him to fire, without your so-called metallic power plant.

In fact I don't remember any reference to a metallic power plant in Lexx so you're talking out of your ass.

Brian
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Re: Wich has more power, The Lexx or the Death Star?

Post by Lost Soal »

Srynerson wrote:
PunkMaister wrote:But does anyone know which one is more powerful and how do they stack up against one another.
As others have pointed out above, the Death Star (both versions) is capable of generating a more powerful blast. On the other hand, we know the Lexx can fire two planet-destroying shots within three minutes or so. (If anybody has the third season finale in which Fire & Water are destroyed on video, they could check the exact time.) I'm not sure either Death Star has that ROF for planet-destroying shots. The Lexx is certainly more maneuverable than DS I (and presumably DS II), since we've seen it maneuver to intercept roughly starfighter-sized vehicles. On the other hand, it obviously has nowhere near the armor and we've seen its hull/exoskeleton damaged by impacts that I would suspect are far weaker than an HTL shot, let alone a super laser. (Would it be possible to establish the force of the impact from the giant parasite's tongue in "Eating Pattern"?) Both versions of the Death Star obviously have certain additional advantages in terms of starfighters, assault troops, etc. Also, can anyone recall if the Lexx's docking bay can be secured? It always seemed to me that outside forces were able to board the ship without difficulty.
In season 4 Lexx destroyed three planets within seconds of each other.
For durability, solid objects penetrate the Lexx quite easily, however energy weapons have less effect as evidenced by the final part of the movie. In that it takes multiple shots from the Mega-Shadow and survives relatively unscathed. The Mega-Shadow is the successor to the ForeShadow which demonstrated firepower far in excess of an ISD.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Antares
Padawan Learner

Post by Antares »

Just one thing somebody should think about when doing a performance
comparison is size.
Even though Lexx cannot destroy planets with the same violent effect than
the DS an might have some other drawbacks, it has a ridiculous small
size/volume compared to a DS.
Based on a performance/size ratio Lexx easily outperforms the DS.
Antares
Padawan Learner

Post by Antares »

Ah.. Sriad said almost the same thing.
I missed his posting while reading through the thread.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

The Lexx is like the genesis device. It doesn't actually output much, it just starts a chain reaction.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister »

NecronLord wrote:The Lexx is like the genesis device. It doesn't actually output much, it just starts a chain reaction.
Hmm... Are you sure?
I mean I don't know how much energy it takes to slice a whole planet in half but it has to be quite substantial!
ImageImage

Visit my site:
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

PunkMaister wrote:
NecronLord wrote:The Lexx is like the genesis device. It doesn't actually output much, it just starts a chain reaction.
Hmm... Are you sure?
I mean I don't know how much energy it takes to slice a whole planet in half but it has to be quite substantial!
Enjoy the main site.
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister »

Grand Moff Yenchin wrote:
PunkMaister wrote:
Hmm... Are you sure?
Enjoy the main site.
Thanks for that link it just proved my point beyond a reasonable doubt! 8)
And from the horse's mouth no less:
Known Effects

The picture below shows the Lexx's planar blast striking a planet. Debris is hurled away from the point of intersection at tens of thousands of kilometres per second, with expansion velocity approaching that of Alderaan after it was struck by the Death Star's superlaser. It is difficult to evaluate the energy requirement of this attack because of its uneven distribution, but it must certainly be many orders of magnitude above the planetary destruction lower limit of 5E16 megatons. It would not be unreasonable for this vessel's power to be similar to that of the Death Star
Ok now that that has been cleared. it comes down to this if you pit the DS and the Lexx against each other which one would have the better chance to vape the other one out know that we know accoridng to this very site that they are just about equal in firepower?
ImageImage

Visit my site:
Lord of the Farce
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord of the Farce »

PunkMaister wrote:Ok now that that has been cleared. it comes down to this if you pit the DS and the Lexx against each other which one would have the better chance to vape the other one out know that we know accoridng to this very site that they are just about equal in firepower?
Why don't you just read the next part of Wong's analysis?
The Lexx is one of the most powerful weapons in science fiction, but its defensive capabilities are weak. It appears to have been designed as a strategic weapon rather than a warship. It has no weaponry whatsoever besides its main forward-firing planet-destroyer. It carries no fighters (it has small unarmed "moth" shuttlecraft), and it has no shields. It has no armour, and physical impactors can easily penetrate its hull, much of which is soft organic material rather than hard metal (if the writers are going to emulate sci-fi chic worship of organic technology, at least it's nice to see them recognizing its inherent deficiencies). These weaknesses have caused the crew no end of troubles, since the ship has been repeatedly boarded.
Even if the Death Star itself is destroyed, starfighters which has been launched can still make mince meat of this sort of target. That is, of course, completely ignoring the countless thousands of turbolasers on the Death Star.
"Intelligent Design" Not Accepted by Most Scientists
PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister »

Even if the Death Star itself is destroyed, starfighters which has been launched can still make mince meat of this sort of target. That is, of course, completely ignoring the countless thousands of turbolasers on the Death Star.
You should have read this by Lost Soal:
In season 4 Lexx destroyed three planets within seconds of each other.
For durability, solid objects penetrate the Lexx quite easily, however energy weapons have less effect as evidenced by the final part of the movie. In that it takes multiple shots from the Mega-Shadow and survives relatively unscathed. The Mega-Shadow is the successor to the ForeShadow which demonstrated firepower far in excess of an ISD.
And also let's not forget this very important this important fragment in Wong's own article:
It has no armour, and physical impactors can easily penetrate its hull, much of which is soft organic material rather than hard metal (if the writers are going to emulate sci-fi chic worship of organic technology, at least it's nice to see them recognizing its inherent deficiencies). These weaknesses have caused the crew no end of troubles, since the ship has been repeatedly boarded.
Noticed he mentions phisical impactors he is probably reffering to solid objects impacting the hull rather than energy blasts that as we know from Lost Soal's example the Lexx is more than capable of surviving.
But yes given the DS shitload of fighters armed with proton torpedoes and missiles would defeat the Lexx but there is a chance that the Lexx get's the chance to fire at the DS too so in the end they most likely destroy each other and given the empire's resources they would just build another DS.
ImageImage

Visit my site:
drachefly
Jedi Master

Post by drachefly »

Can Lexx run away from the fighters by going superluminal? (I don't know anything about Lexx)
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

A season four episode has the chain reaction failing to take and the Earth requiring multiple shots before it was destroyed, IIRC.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

NecronLord wrote:A season four episode has the chain reaction failing to take and the Earth requiring multiple shots before it was destroyed, IIRC.
That was only because the LEXX was so weak, shoot it was on it's deathbed at that point
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:That was only because the LEXX was so weak, shoot it was on it's deathbed at that point
The point is, it is a chain reaction. Look at the final scene, and the delays involved. It doesn't put out raw power. There's no garuntee that it'll be able to get through the Death Star's shields.

Especially, I am told, given that it was able to try firing again and again at an object with the size of a planet, and probably less mass, that defended itself (the gigashadow) and not destroy it.
PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister »

I apologize to everyone on this board for making this horrible thread...
ImageImage

Visit my site: