Calculations wanted! (HW2 Siz Comps)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Calculations wanted! (HW2 Siz Comps)

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

SO!

A while ago many of us oowed and ahhed about how cool and spiffy some of the ships from HW2 look. Mainly the Battlecruiser, Mothership, and the 'Sajuuk'

Problem is no one really knows how big any of these ships are. Reports vary wildly. You can always use one ship to measure another ship, but as there no set size for ANY Homeworld ship... It would be a bit hard...

Until...

Until the wonderful Mod came out for StarWars: Warlords which basically lets you build and play with nearlly a hundred Starwars ships. Now... StarWars ships ARE well defined and measured. So... I took this image:

HERE and figured someone could derive how big a HW-Battlecruisor is by relation to a 1600 meter ISD.
Of course once thats done, you could perhaps guestimate the size of Sajuuk using THIS

Now, by my own (rough) guestimations, I figured that Sajuuk was a
little longer the twice the size of an ISD, and made this VERY crude image. WOO!

So, theres images, I'm wondering for the more Math minded of you to maybe help with some measurements more exact then the poor ones I've done. As many of you know, facts and figures are NOT my strong suit... :oops:
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Could for pixel length for the first two pictures and then derive percentages from that.

The last is useless unless the ISD is from said program, since it's comparison still needs to at least be from the same program.

This would also only give a comparison if the program actually takes the correct sizes of the crafts of the SW universe and didn't pick what arbitary sizes it wanted.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

This also assumes that the creator of the mod took careful care to make sure that the SW ships he put in are the right size compared to the original HW2 ships (1m on a BattleCruiser = 1m on a Star Destroyer). This is doubtful since the creator would have to know, to the metre, the exact size of the HW2 ships.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Well... The Warlords mods allows you to have Hil ships and Imperial ships together at the same time... I assumed that the size of a Hil- Battle cruiser was relative next to an ISD...

Alas you have a point, we have no way of knowing if the game designer took into account how big the ships are, and ISD may be far larger then a Battle cruiser or maybe smaller (doubtful)

Although, if they ARE the same realtive size, it make measuring easier.
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Can't you just measure ships with the sensor map distance thingy when you order moves?

Course, HW wankers will tell us that the mothership is 30kms high, that ion frigates are larger than ISDs, etc.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Stark wrote:Can't you just measure ships with the sensor map distance thingy when you order moves?
Um, oh, yeh... I guess I could...
Stark wrote:Course, HW wankers will tell us that the mothership is 30kms high, that ion frigates are larger than ISDs, etc.
Whoa... Really? damn, I can hounestly say I've never heard of a HW 'wanker' before, and I can't imagine the Mothership as '30km'
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Oh I have. Back 'in the day', HW wanking was all the rage amongst the kiddies. All the standard RTS rubbish (fast build times, hitpoints, etc) but with t3h nan0s and claimed enormous sizes.

Going by the travel distances, I think the mothership is a few klicks tall, and thats it. I'm not sure if this is consistent with examining the textures - for instance, 'fighters' in HW2 appear to be very much larger than modern fighters going by cockpit size - but it's ingame, and its the closest your going to get to common scaling.

Anyway, you should be able to generate an interesting list of dimensions using the 'ruler' in sensor mode.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

For reference, the sensor screen (and some trusty scouts at the lower sensor boom) indicates that the H-MS is almost exactly 2500m tall. The carrier (much more fiddly to get the bloody scouts in the right place) is approximately 800m long.
Antares
Padawan Learner

Post by Antares »

There are numerous threads about size hw ship size comparison on

http://forums.relicnews.com

This is one of them:
http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread. ... ge=1&pp=15

IIRC the mothership of HW2 is 5 miles high.
If you want to use ingame scalce dont forget to turn of nlips
(inverse size reduction)

The size of Sajuuk can be roughly evaluated by using its range of
25km for its main gun. IIRC (again) it can fire three times its own length.
Antares
Padawan Learner

Post by Antares »

I just looked up the range of Sajuuk main gun. It is 20km not 25km.
Sorry :(
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

That's very strange. Not only does NLIPs not change the size of anything on my system, but I'm unable to establish any size for the mothership other than 2500m. I can't believe I'm going to read a relicnews thread to determine their method. :cry:
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Damn my impatience. That thread features *NO* method: the MS is simply declared to be 7000m, and everything else derived from that. Is this 5-mile size a part of the literature somewhere?
Antares
Padawan Learner

Post by Antares »

Stark wrote:Damn my impatience. That thread features *NO* method: the MS is simply declared to be 7000m, and everything else derived from that. Is this 5-mile size a part of the literature somewhere?
Yes, it's stated in the HW manual.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

You know, I never knew just how HUGE the HW2 ships where... if this is the case, it means Sajuuk is going to be MASSIVE!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
nightmare
Jedi Council Member

Post by nightmare »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Well... The Warlords mods allows you to have Hil ships and Imperial ships together at the same time... I assumed that the size of a Hil- Battle cruiser was relative next to an ISD...

Alas you have a point, we have no way of knowing if the game designer took into account how big the ships are, and ISD may be far larger then a Battle cruiser or maybe smaller (doubtful)

Although, if they ARE the same realtive size, it make measuring easier.
He did, with quite a bit of attention to detail. It's impossible to tell just by that if they relate correctly to HW2 ships, however.
Star Trek vs. Star Wars, Extralife style.
jareth1138
Youngling

Post by jareth1138 »

This is actually quite funny. Just a couple of days ago I stumbled upon a thread at Relic Forums that had people trying to figure out the size of HW ships using the modeling programs. It was located in the archive and if Relic forums come back on line check it out. It is hilarious. It has the Heavy Cruiser for the Taiidani about 3/4 of the size of DS9, later though it was dispelled that the original intent was about modern fighter size, but the comparision pics are hilarious. One person stated that the Hvy Cruiser was so big that the projectile cannons fired bullets the size of interceptors that possibly could damage a stardestroyer. I just thought about that when I read this thread.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Antares wrote:
Stark wrote:Damn my impatience. That thread features *NO* method: the MS is simply declared to be 7000m, and everything else derived from that. Is this 5-mile size a part of the literature somewhere?
Yes, it's stated in the HW manual.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I love game analysis. W00t! :roll:
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

jareth1138 wrote:This is actually quite funny. Just a couple of days ago I stumbled upon a thread at Relic Forums that had people trying to figure out the size of HW ships using the modeling programs. It was located in the archive and if Relic forums come back on line check it out. It is hilarious. It has the Heavy Cruiser for the Taiidani about 3/4 of the size of DS9, later though it was dispelled that the original intent was about modern fighter size, but the comparision pics are hilarious. One person stated that the Hvy Cruiser was so big that the projectile cannons fired bullets the size of interceptors that possibly could damage a stardestroyer. I just thought about that when I read this thread.
This?

As for myself, I just generally go with the size from PDS. The only one I can remember off the top of my head is that it tells us the BC is 800m. Which nicely enough, fits in with Crossroads Inc.'s BC + ISD picture and suits me fine.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Vanas wrote:As for myself, I just generally go with the size from PDS. The only one I can remember off the top of my head is that it tells us the BC is 800m. Which nicely enough, fits in with Crossroads Inc.'s BC + ISD picture and suits me fine.
*Does happy dance* "Woo!"
Read "One Wrong Turn"!