Favorite Sci-Fi Smackdown?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Hardy
Padawan Learner

Post by Hardy »

Watching that prick, Nedry, in Jurrassic Park climb into his Jeep under the impression that he'd just locked the dilophosaurus out only to find it in the passenger seat. Then in the sequel, Ludlow attempting to capture the baby T-rex, only to find daddy right behind him. The true poetic justice came when the male allowed the infant to feed on the unfortunate CEO. The people animating and adding sound effects to the T-Rex seemed to have cleverly put in a cute "Awww", that we humans can relate to.
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Not sci-fi, but:

"Offer me money."
"Yes."
"Power, too. Promise me that."
"All that I have and more."
"Offer me anything I ask for."
"Anything you want, please."
"I want my father back for son of a bitch!"
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Drooling Iguana wrote:Not sci-fi, but:

"Offer me money."
"Yes."
Gah! That should be "you son of a bitch." Don't know how I typoed that.

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

"Offer me money."
"Yes."
Where was that from? It sound's familiar, Batman comic's?
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

Stargate SG-1:
Ascended Daniel Jackson gathers some energy and directs it at Anubis, ready to destroy him. Of course it was ruined by other ascended after that, but those few seconds were awesome.
--
Don't make me use uppercase...
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

the .303 bookworm wrote:
"Offer me money."
"Yes."
Where was that from? It sound's familiar, Batman comic's?
The Princess Bride.

Chmee
Sith Marauder

Post by Chmee »

Another Niven smackdown ....

*Ringworld spoiler alert*

The Puppeteer leader 'The Hindmost' sits comfortably in his invulnerable cockpit and issues commands to Louis Wu and Chmee, always holding a threat of abandoning them on the Ringworld over their heads and refusing to act to avoid a catastrophe on the Ringworld that will kill billions .... so Louis demonstrates why it's a bad idea to kidnap & blackmail a human or a Kzin .... Louis's weapon can't penetrate the shielding of the cockpit from the room they're in, but it *can* fire through the floor and reduce the Hindmost's hyperdrive to useless slag, trapping him on the Ringworld right along with everybody else.

"Come," Louis smiles at the hysterical Hindmost after he discovers the ruined hyperdrive, "let us reason together."

(btw, last year the SciFi Channel said they were looking at developing a 4-hour Ringworld miniseries .... anybody heard an update on that?)
[img=right]http://www.tallguyz.com/imagelib/chmeesig.jpg[/img]My guess might be excellent or it might be crummy, but
Mrs. Spade didn't raise any children dippy enough to
make guesses in front of a district attorney,
an assistant district attorney, and a stenographer

Sam Spade, "The Maltese Falcon"

Operation Freedom Fry
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Drooling Iguana wrote: The Princess Bride.
You killed my father, prepare to Die :D - Such a good line you may want to cry.8)

The fight between Fezzick then Inigo and Wesley (Who was the latest dread pirate robert).
The poisoned drink contest between Wesley and the Scicilian.

Mace "pwning" Grievous in Clone wars.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

I suppose Metal Gear Solid could count as Sci-Fi (with fantasy thrown in).

In Metar Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, during Virtuous Mission:

Snake is surrounded by half a dozen elite GRU soldiers, members of the Ocelot Unit. Their commander, Ocelot, does a fancy move with his gun before shooting Snake, only to find that he just jammed it. It's really cool because you can, for just a second, see a smile on Snake's lips as he lunges at Ocelot, a knowing smile that says "It's over, I now own all your asses!" Followed by him proving it.
Morat
Padawan Learner

Post by Morat »

From the Andromeda episode Pitiless as the Sun:

The Inari abduct Trance, and send Dr. Logich to study her. Their planet was devestated in a war caused by one of her people. Now the Inari want to know who they are, and how to kill them. So, Logich straps her into a chair and spends most of the episode attempting to torture her for information. Near the end of the episode, they have this scene:
<She seems to be getting worse. Logich releases the straps around her wrists.>

Logich: It's not much, but at least you'll be a little more comfortable.

Trance: That's good.

<As he turns away, she suddenly grabs his arm firmly, no longer seeming sick.>

Trance: You wanted to know about my people? Here's a lesson.

<She pulls him forward, and he looks into her eye, seeing stars and galaxies there.>
Then, it cuts away. The next thing we see is Logich sitting on the chair looking utterly despirited, with Trance standing over him.

I'm sure it doesn't sound that great written out, but the performances really sell it. Logich (aka Cancer Man from X-Files) is brilliant, and Trance (Laura Bertram) completely owns the screen. It was a great episode.
HemlockGrey wrote:
The moment the Emperor decided to instigate the creation of a time machine, the universe stopped it in the simplest way possible; in this case a nova. No more Empire, no more plans for a time machine.
Ah. I realized that. I was just confused as to why it went nova on the theorist instead of the enemy who would build the machine, but thanks for clearing it up.
If the plan had worked, the Empire would probably have used it on other enemies later on. The simplest solution is to wipe out the Empire.
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

The scene in The Shadow were Lamont Cranston (The Shadow) owns the asses of the gangsters who were going to throw Chang (or whatever his name was) over the Brooklyn Bridge. Especially the part where Cranston holds Duke over the railing and Duke starts blubbering like a little cunt. Also the final fight between the Shadow and Shiwan Khan. Man, whoever played Khan was one hell of an actor.

The Butlerian Jihad trilogy where Xavier Harkonnen kills Iblis Genjo by flying his spaceship into the sun. Iblis Ginjo killing that punk Ajax was pretty good too. And we can't forget Vorian Atriedes killing the mighty cymek Agamemnon... by throwing the jar with his brain in it out the window like a piece of trash.

Also Skynet's death in the SF Debris fanfic Flesh and Metal was pretty sweet. Can't get much better than using the convoluted logic of time travel to get the sucker to inadvertently kill its own future self. :twisted:
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

The scene in Barrayar during the Civil War, where Cordelia walks in on negotiations between Lord Vorkosigan and some of the Pretender's supporters.

Father-in-law Piotr yells " Where have you been ! "

Cordelia holds up a bag and says " Shopping. Want to see what I bought ? ". She opens the bag and rolls the Pretender's severed head onto the table in front of his supporters.

Lord Vorkosigan : "But of course", he breathed. "Every Vor lady goes to the captital to shop."
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Junghalli wrote: Also the final fight between the Shadow and Shiwan Khan. Man, whoever played Khan was one hell of an actor.
John Lone, IIRC
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

The scene where Pedi takes out a ganglord and cronys unarmed, to rescue Despreaux :
We Few wrote:The gang lord and his bodyguards were still trying to figure out what they'd just heard when she slapped Despreaux's chair, throwing it across the room, and dropped forward. All four of her hands hit the floor in front of her feet, and she kicked back with both legs.
Gorilla and his brother went flying back against the wall. They slammed into it—hard—and Pedi pushed off with her lower hands and flipped backwards. She flew through the air, landing in front of the two guards even as they began to reach into their jackets for their bead pistols. Her upper elbows slammed back to connect with their faces, and her lower hands reached down and back. Her more powerful falsehands gripped tight, picked them up by their thighs, and threw them off their feet. They landed on the backs of their skulls with bone-jarring force.
She somersaulted forward, thanking the gods of the Fire Mountains for a high ceiling, and flipped across the desk. All four hands balanced her on its surface as her feet smashed into Siminov, sending him backward to slam against the wall before he could raise the bead pistol he'd pulled from a drawer. He hit with stunning force, and the pistol went flying into a corner of the office.
Pedi somersaulted again, backwards this time, and ended up back between the guards. She grabbed gorilla's hair, tilted his head back so that his throat was extended and unguarded, and flipped the back of her horns across it with a head twist. The sharpened recurve opened it in a fountain of blood, faster than a knife, and she tossed the bleeding body aside and kicked the other guard on to his stomach. She stamped down with one foot to break his neck, then calmly reached over and locked the door.
"Roger thought you might underestimate a woman," she said gently as she strolled back across the room.
Siminov stared at her, stunned by his abrupt encounter with his office wall and even more by the totally unanticipated carnage about him. He was still staring when she picked him up with one lower hand and threw him across the room. He made the violent acquaintance of yet another wall and oozed down it to the floor in a heap, moaning and clutching an arm which had acquired a sudden unnatural bend just below the elbow.
"He especially thought you might underestimate a pregnant one, even if she was a Mardukan," Pedi went on genially. "And, I'll admit, if you were dealing with one of those beaten-down Krath wusses, you might have been having a different conversation."
She picked Despreaux up, heavy float chair and all, and used the sharpened side of her horns to cut the tape holding the human woman to the chair.
"But you're not dealing with one of them," she continued, walking over to where Siminov was trying to get to his feet. His eyes widened at the sight of the bloodsoaked Mardukan looming over him. "I am Pedi Dorson Acos Lefan Karuse, Daughter of the King of the Mudh Hemh, called the Light of the Vales," she ended softly, leaning down so that her face was barely two centimeters from his, "and that, my friend, is a civan of a different color, indeed."
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

Stargate (movie):

Where O'Neill sends the Jaffa's head back to Ra: "Give my regards to King Tut, asshole!"

Stargate series:

When Ares' First Prime earlier told Teal'c: "I give you my word, you will be tortured slowly."
Teal'c: "I give you my word, you will die quickly."

Later in the episode, Teal'c kills the First Prime with the Prime's own knife. The Prime says, "You are a man of your word."

(I know, #2 isn't really a Smackdown where Teal'c would say something, but the the expression on the Jaffa's face is good.)
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

(Sorry if I repeat something)

Galaxy Quest: Final confrontation, the Protector rushing headlong into the Enemy Battleship, being pounded by implosion missiles, both captains speaking to each other:

Sariss: "You're forgetting I'm a general! If you expect me to blink, then you're making a terrible mistake"
Jason: "It doesn't take a good actor to recognize a bad one. You're sweating!"
Sariss: "Fool! You fail to realize at this range, my ship will tear through yours like tissue paper!"
Jason: "And what you fail to realise is... that my ship is dragging mines!"

Predator Moments:

-Arnold manages to punch the Predator. It recoils ever so slightly, clearly unaffected. He then crumples his claw into a punch, and, with a curious look on his face, punches Arnold back... Sending him flying.

-The look on Arnold's face when ge realises that the beeping sound is a countdown.

-When Danny Glover finally defeats the Predator... His look as the targeting dots appear on his shirt.... and 5 Predators show up.

-In AvP, when the Predators meet the Aliens, the thorough beating imparted upon an Alien. I nearly got teary-eyed when, unlike every other creature that faces an alien in the movies, the Predator actually CHARGED forth, and proceeded to beat the crap out of the bug.

-In AvP, the "Holy Shit!" face the Predator makes when the Queen bursts forth from the ice.

Stargate Moments:

-The interrogation where Teal'c does nothing but stare until the suspect cracks.

-Pretty much every exchange between O'neall and the Goaul'd, specially Baal.

Matrix moments:

Agent: "He's only human"
Trinity: "Dodge this"

-Smith's face, and his "No" when Neo shows up with the Minigun.
unsigned
Antares
Padawan Learner

Post by Antares »

B5 Morden standing in front of Molari:
(translated from german)
Molari: But first, Mr Morden we must be ensure to be ... alone. Please dont move.
*Guardians fire to both sides of Morden*

Later:
Morden: You are insane Molari !
Molari: On any other day i would argued that you are wrong. However, today Mr. Morden, today you are very close to the truth.
*Then watching Molari pushing the button of the fusion bomb remote control of the Island Selini*
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

After a friendly power up from Rodan, Godzilla takes it to Mechagodzilla II in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II

Godzilla taking out Space Godzilla and finishing Moguera at the same time in Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
speaker-to-trolls
Jedi Master

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

I know it isn't science fiction by any stretch of the term, but I think this deserves a mention;
Persian Dude: When our archers let fly the skies are darkened by the number of their arrows!

King Leonides(?): Good, then we'll fight our battle in the shade.
Or something like that
Post Number 1066 achieved Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:19 pm(board time, 8:19GMT)
Batman: What do these guys want anyway?
Superman: Take over the world... Or rob banks, I'm not sure.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Antares wrote:B5 Morden standing in front of Molari:
(translated from german)
Molari: But first, Mr Morden we must be ensure to be ... alone. Please dont move.
*Guardians fire to both sides of Morden*
Later:
Morden: You are insane Molari !
Molari: On any other day i would argued that you are wrong. However, today Mr. Morden, today you are very close to the truth.
*Then watching Molari pushing the button of the fusion bomb remote control of the Island Selini*
Allow me.
Molari: And speaking of you're associates, we must make sure that we can talk-privately.
Don not move.'
*guards open fire*
Later:
Morden: You're insane.
Molari: On any other day, Mr Morden, you' would be wrong. Today, today is a very different day.

There's some more dialogue before he detontres the bomb's, though.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Bombs, Bat, bombs. Do not use apostrophies to pluralise.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

NecronLord wrote:Bombs, Bat, bombs. Do not use apostrophies to pluralise.
You see the way I spell 'detonates' and it's the bloody apostrophy that gets you? :oops:
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Grammar is superior to spelling!
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Blame the apostrophie plague on me and my trick's :wink: .
Photography
speaker-to-trolls
Jedi Master

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

The scene in War of the Worlds (2005) when the national guard are fighting the martians, there's a massive explosion that consumes everything around the top of the hill, then out of the flames the head of a tripod rises, reathed in fire but completely unharmed, and marches forward toward the humans watching the battle.

The scene in X-men (is that sci-fi?), when the Brotherhood of Mutants are confronted by the NYPD outside the trainstation. Magneto is ordered to put his hands up, he does so, and two police cruisers go up with them.
Post Number 1066 achieved Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:19 pm(board time, 8:19GMT)
Batman: What do these guys want anyway?
Superman: Take over the world... Or rob banks, I'm not sure.