40k questions... again.... yep.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

40k questions... again.... yep.

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

I have some new 40k questions, so I'll just ask away.

Have there ever been any books/stories where:
Tyranid fight Orks? Or Chaos? Looking for the effects of a genestealer in particular here.
Necrons vs Chaos or Tyranids or Tau? Any kind of 3-way entanglements?

Are there any Ciaphas Cain short stories other than the ones in What Price Victory and Into the Maelstrom?
Has anyone heard anything about the new Cain story coming out next year?

Are there any books with good space battles besides the ones written by Gordon Rennie?
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Have there ever been any books/stories where:
Tyranid fight Orks? Or Chaos? Looking for the effects of a genestealer in particular here.Necrons vs Chaos or Tyranids or Tau? Any kind of 3-way entanglements?
Sure, both the Cain novels had three way battles. The first was tau vs humans vs genestealers. The second was orks vs humans vs Necrons.

Spoilers for For the Emperor:

A genestealer cult tries to destablize a border world that developing a might too friendly with the Tau. Of course such a rebellion would lead to a Crusade in the sector diverting attention from the impending hive fleet attack. It's a pretty chaotic encounter but suffice to say each side beats on each other pretty hard.

It's also happend that one or more enemies have turned up elsewhere. It'd be hard to name all the instances but there are plenty of them.
Are there any Ciaphas Cain short stories other than the ones in What Price Victory and Into the Maelstrom?
Has anyone heard anything about the new Cain story coming out next year?
No to both, at least so far.
Are there any books with good space battles besides the ones written by Gordon Rennie?
Entire novels? No. Battlefleet Gothic isn't really popular or fluffed out enough to have it's own novels yet.

Though the air combat in Dougle Eagle was awesome. It's a great stuff. I'd highly recommend it, both as story and for the action.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

There's a Ciaphas Cain story in Cruicible of War. The first of his adventures, I might add. :wink:
JADAFETWA
Soulman
Padawan Learner

Post by Soulman »

Does Ciaphas Cain strike anyone else as being almost identical to Flashman (except without the cavalry whiskers)?
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

In Fire Warrior(done from the perspective of the Tau), there's sort of a Tau vs Chaos vs Space Marines(I think) at least for a short time until the Marines and Tau team up on the Chaos.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

In the space Wolves books by Bill King, an isolated Tyranid group, tiny in numbers used an Eldar talisman fragment that was a key to a trap that held a nurgle Daemon as some sort of warp focus or something, forming a sedentary hive node of sorts around it. several of the Genestealers encountered were described as Diseased and ill, to the extent that they werent quite fast enough to take on Marines in hand to hand and shred them...as they would normally
Bob the Gunslinger

That's pretty cool. Are any of the Space Wolves books worth the $7.99 to read? Or should I just hope to see them in a used book store?

Also, I should mention that I have read For the Emperor and Caves of Ice and Firewarrior. I liked them. Ciaphas Cain is easily my favorite 40k character, but I also like the characterizations in Firewarrior, where it describes a sympathetic guy's whole life story right before the firewarrior blows his gut out through his back. Nice.

I am currently reading First and Only and enjoying it. What is the order of the rest of the Gaunt's Ghosts novels, or does order not matter?

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:I am currently reading First and Only and enjoying it. What is the order of the rest of the Gaunt's Ghosts novels, or does order not matter?
How THE FUCK did you get ahold of F&O? I've fucking looked everywhere, even online, and it's not available! Godfuckingdammit!

From what I've heard, order matters a lot for the Gaunt's Ghosts series.
JADAFETWA
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

I was unable to get ahold of Honour Guard and another I don't remember off-hand, so this was "my" order:

Ghostmaker
Necropolis
Guns of Tanith
Straight Silver
Sabbat Martyr

Now as I said I skipped a couple, so I'm not sure where they fit in.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

I think they are rereleasing them with new covers, so you may be in luck.

Order does matter.

First and Only
Ghostmaker
Necropolis

are the first three. I can't remember the order for the rest, but

Sabbat Martyr comes before Straight Silver IIRC.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Bob the Gunslinger

Kuja wrote:
Bob the Gunslinger wrote:I am currently reading First and Only and enjoying it. What is the order of the rest of the Gaunt's Ghosts novels, or does order not matter?
How THE FUCK did you get ahold of F&O? I've fucking looked everywhere, even online, and it's not available! Godfuckingdammit!

From what I've heard, order matters a lot for the Gaunt's Ghosts series.
I went to a used bookstore a block from my house. They didn't have any 40k books in the series section, and when I asked they said they didn't carry any books based on rpgs (although they have a shelf-full of Magic TG books.). So I decided to look for a New Frontier book instead. Eventually, I just ended up walking around looking in the SF section, where I found First and Only wedged in there out of place.
So I bought it.

Bob the Gunslinger

Imperial Overlord wrote:I think they are rereleasing them with new covers, so you may be in luck.

Order does matter.

First and Only
Ghostmaker
Necropolis

are the first three. I can't remember the order for the rest, but

Sabbat Martyr comes before Straight Silver IIRC.
Thanks.

Are they planning an Omnibus?

Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

The order for the Gaunt's Ghosts books is as follows:
Ghostmaker
First and Only
Necropolis
Honour Guard
The Guns of Tanith
Straight Silver
Sabbat Martyr
Traitor General

And there is an omnibus of the first three books, the Founding sequence.
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Black Admiral wrote:The order for the Gaunt's Ghosts books is as follows:
Ghostmaker
First and Only
Necropolis
Honour Guard
The Guns of Tanith
Straight Silver
Sabbat Martyr
Traitor General

And there is an omnibus of the first three books, the Founding sequence.
And The Saint series should be follow shortly.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

anything important happen to gaunt after book 3?

Ive been. . lax. . . in keeping up :D
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Enforcer Talen wrote:anything important happen to gaunt after book 3?

Ive been. . lax. . . in keeping up :D
Of course, and to the Regiment as whole as well.

I can't wait till Traitor General!

Dar Be Spoilers Matey:

Rawne as the second in command of the Ghosts. This is going to be interesting indeed.
constantine
Padawan Learner

Post by constantine »

There's a three way battle in 'Ghostmaker' which was also one of my favorite Gaunts Ghost books.

And Bob, you're pretty lucky to get 'First and Only'. I've got all the Gaunts Ghost novels but that one. I couldn't find it anywhere.

Has anyone read 'Deff Swadron' by Gordon Rennie? I saw it available on-line and it looks like an space combat book.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

I've got all the Guant's Ghost novel. For whatever reason the Borders stores near here have nearly all them and get new ones regularly. First and second run printings. Same for nearly all the books only the anthologies are hard to find. Lucky me. :p

Had I known, I even saw a copy of Ian Watson's Space Marine! Damn I wish I had gotten it. :banghead:
Bob the Gunslinger

constantine wrote:There's a three way battle in 'Ghostmaker' which was also one of my favorite Gaunts Ghost books.

And Bob, you're pretty lucky to get 'First and Only'. I've got all the Gaunts Ghost novels but that one. I couldn't find it anywhere.

Has anyone read 'Deff Swadron' by Gordon Rennie? I saw it available on-line and it looks like an space combat book.
I want to, but alas cannot afford to.

Let me know if it's good.

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Stormbringer wrote:I've got all the Guant's Ghost novel. For whatever reason the Borders stores near here have nearly all them and get new ones regularly. First and second run printings. Same for nearly all the books only the anthologies are hard to find. Lucky me. :p
Where the fuck do you live? I need to know so I can start planning my pilgrimage!
JADAFETWA
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

They are easy to find in Vancouver.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Bob the Gunslinger

Ah, Vancouver... Spoiled Canadians. :D

I have some new questions now:

What are the typical lengths of BFG ships? Are they only a kilometer long or more like half a dozen kilometers or what? I get the idea that they're rediculously huge--in First and Only there is a 16 kilometer troop transport! :shock:

And I'm painting a model I kitbashed and I want it to be an Inquisitor ship. What color scheme shoulf I use? I want it to be something other than straight black or black drybrushed with boltgun metal (Grey Knights' colors)... I'm thinking of using dark green for the torso of the ship and the Boltgun drybrushing for the armor, perhaps with gold and silver piping and weapons and lots of yellow or red lights. But then, I'm not sure that sounds very Inquisitorish. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:Ah, Vancouver... Spoiled Canadians. :D

What are the typical lengths of BFG ships? Are they only a kilometer long or more like half a dozen kilometers or what? I get the idea that they're rediculously huge--in First and Only there is a 16 kilometer troop transport! :shock:
They range from 600-meter long destroyers, right up to 7-klick long battleships and 20-km long ships that aren't IDed.
And I'm painting a model I kitbashed and I want it to be an Inquisitor ship. What color scheme shoulf I use? I want it to be something other than straight black or black drybrushed with boltgun metal (Grey Knights' colors)... I'm thinking of using dark green for the torso of the ship and the Boltgun drybrushing for the armor, perhaps with gold and silver piping and weapons and lots of yellow or red lights. But then, I'm not sure that sounds very Inquisitorish. Any suggestions?

Thank you.
It depends on the ship really. The Black Ships, as their name implies, are black, but an Inquisitor's personal ship can be painted whatever colour he likes, baring Chaos runes of course.

And the ships that the Ordo Malleus loans from the Navy maintain their old colour schemes.
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Kuja wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:I've got all the Guant's Ghost novel. For whatever reason the Borders stores near here have nearly all them and get new ones regularly. First and second run printings. Same for nearly all the books only the anthologies are hard to find. Lucky me. :p
Where the fuck do you live? I need to know so I can start planning my pilgrimage!
Greater Detroit area. If you do make your pilgrimage I'd recommend the Novi Borders. :p
Black Admiral wrote:And the ships that the Ordo Malleus loans from the Navy maintain their old colour schemes.
Sort of. They do bear some Inquisitional insignia.

And of course the Grey Knights/Inquisition have some ships of their own as well. Similar to those you'd expect Space Marines to have, except the cream of the crop.
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Black Admiral wrote:
Bob the Gunslinger wrote:Ah, Vancouver... Spoiled Canadians. :D

They range from 600-meter long destroyers, right up to 7-klick long battleships and 20-km long ships that aren't IDed.
Not quite. They run upto about six klicks for battleships, not seven :P

Space Hulks and stuff are the only ships that approach the 16 klick size if thats what your talking about. Well with some other exceptions.