The Chronicles of Narnia

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Spiritbw
Youngling

The Chronicles of Narnia

Post by Spiritbw »

Well, if you haven't seen it, Weta, the minds behind the special effects for Lord of the Rings, are doing the special effects and props for the new Narnia movies. They did a featurette showing some of the creatures, weapons and armour that will be in the movie.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/th ... arnia.html
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

I'm fully in favor! I loved those books (especially Voyage of the Dawn Treader) and there's no way in hell this can be worse than the animated version of LWW, so hooray! *marks her calendar for "someday"*
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Pretty cool. Been decade since I rad Narnia(I may have reread the Lion The Witch and The wardrobe). But hey, looks pretty nice. :D
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
spongyblue
Jedi Knight

Post by spongyblue »

This is the first I've heard a movie being made, and I was never a big fan of the books, but it actually looks pretty interesting.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

never heared of it before but if it has minotaurs in it, it can't be bad
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

Bah. C.S. Lewis and his silly Jesus parallel story is too baka for me.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Never much cared for Narnia. I thought it was pretty silly when I even when I was young. This is so only gettinng made because of LOTR.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Any of you yanks seen the BBC version of the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe?
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Tatterdemalion
Padawan Learner

Post by Tatterdemalion »

Sounds good. I loved the books as a kid, blatent Christian symbolism and all. The Silver Chair was the only book I found truly dissappointing in that regard, and even then I liked the characters.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Keevan_Colton wrote:Any of you yanks seen the BBC version of the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe?
Yeah. I thought it was cool when I was a kid.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

I liked the pessimistic frogmen the most...

Otherwise, the evil Bird-Satan would be the coolest thing to put on-screen for me.
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

Keevan_Colton wrote:Any of you yanks seen the BBC version of the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe?
I have that, and Prince Caspian, and The Vogage of the Dawn Treader and The Silver Chair all on video. Man... thinking about them makes me want to watch them again. I used to have a crush on Peter, althogh Lucy was my favourite.

Oh, but I'm not a Yank. Silly me. Ignore all of the above.

Anyway, I hope the movies are going to be as good as the BBC version.
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
Symmetry
Jedi Master

Post by Symmetry »

Yeah, and that one with the green witch too. I really don't see why they're doing another movie, I think its more probable than not that it won't be quite as good as the BBC version, though it would have to have better special effects.
SDN Rangers: Gunnery Officer

They may have claymores and Dragons, but we have Bolos and Ogres.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

My only qualm is why everything has to be filmed in NZ now. The originals weren't and the BBC The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe was brilliant.

If they could put the radioplay of The Magician's Nephew on the silverscreen too, that'd be excellent.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

New Narnia movies? You're shitting me! How many?
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

I loved them, and never noticed the Jesus sumbolism until it was pointed out to me. By all means, give me films!!!!
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I think maybe I read the first book once. I certainly saw the animated version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe a bunch of times when I was a kid but that's about it.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Vympel wrote:New Narnia movies? You're shitting me! How many?
For now they're only doing the one, IIRC-- probably a deal like with SW originally, see if the first one works fine and then make the sequels. I do have to wonder if they're going to do all six books, though... that always bothered me with the BBC series, they never did Magician's Nephew or Last Battle...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Elheru Aran wrote:For now they're only doing the one, IIRC-- probably a deal like with SW originally, see if the first one works fine and then make the sequels. I do have to wonder if they're going to do all six books, though... that always bothered me with the BBC series, they never did Magician's Nephew or Last Battle...
Yeah well, Magician's Nephew was a "prequel" of sorts and isn't as well known as Lion/Witch/Wardrobe ... they probably didn't have the budget to do the Last Battle either, though that was always one wierd book regardless. The Silver Chair was my favorite, actually.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

And the official movie site, for those of y'all who are interested...

http://www.narnia.com/

Has some videos of production as well-- pretty impressive stuff...
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

I've seen both the BBC version and the animated version (at least, part of the animated version...after a while I couldn't take it anymore). I read the books as a kid. I liked them and could live with the religious symbolism until The Last Battle, and that book ruined the entire series for me. I hated it with a passion. It's like how the Matrix sequels are so bad that they make the original suck. It looks cool, but not enough for me to get over my very profound dislike of the last book.

And if they do make the last book into a movie, I am going all-out militant atheist on someone's ass.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

My favourite was the Silver Chair, although I admit that was because Tom Baker (aka Doctor Who) played one of the characters. And I never noticed the Christian symbolism until I got older, and I most likely won't want to particularly watch it (didn't find the plot that great).
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Cairber
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cairber »

I love these books! Heres hoping the movies dont fuck with them too much. As for the religious symbolism...having done countless in depth readings of Paradise Lost, I cant help but appreciate the things Lewis does with Milton's work. He's written some great papers on it, I def recommend them.
Say NO to circumcision IT'S A BOY! This is a great link to show expecting parents.

I boycott Nestle; ask me why!
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Cairber wrote:I love these books! Heres hoping the movies dont fuck with them too much. As for the religious symbolism...having done countless in depth readings of Paradise Lost, I cant help but appreciate the things Lewis does with Milton's work. He's written some great papers on it, I def recommend them.
:wtf: Narnia and Paradise Lost are related? Please explain... I'm intrigued...
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

neoolong wrote:
Yeah. I thought it was cool when I was a kid.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.