Darth Vader vs. Arthas, Death Knight of the Liche King (WC3)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Lucifer Morningstar
Redshirt

Darth Vader vs. Arthas, Death Knight of the Liche King (WC3)

Post by Lucifer Morningstar »

For something else, once in a while.

Sword fight only.
Lucifer: "The End of Predestination. The End of Tyranny."
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Re: Darth Vader vs. Arthas, Death Knight of the Liche King (

Post by Darksider »

Lucifer Morningstar wrote:For something else, once in a while.

Sword fight only.
Unless Arthas has some kind of uber-powerful magic sword, then Darth simply chops through his blade and his flesh.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

Actually, he DOES have a uber-powerful magic sword.
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Yogi wrote:Actually, he DOES have a uber-powerful magic sword.
I know, but how strong is it?? Can it stand up to a lightsaber???

Also, since vader can's use his other force powers, does he still get combat precog???
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

You really can't debate this one. First of all, Vader's Force powers are a big part of his fighting style. You can't really judge his swordsmanship without the Force, since he's never been seen fighting without it. As for Arthas, the capabilities and limits of his magic sword, Frostmourne, are complete unknowns. All we know is that it does more damage than his warhammer, and that the damage is "chaos" damage. However, these are game mechanics and might not be applicable in a "realistic" debate.
Lucifer Morningstar
Redshirt

Why always have to overanalyze everything?

Just go with the flow!!

Have *FUN* Once in a while!

The Sword inherits chaos magic, lets say it can stand up to the Lightsaber.
Vader gets to use his force for jumps and that stuff, but no choking (won't do good on an undead anyways). Arthas can use his own undead endurance and strength.

Keep in Mind Arthas is probably the best Sword fighter of the WC Universe.
He stood up to a Daemon hunter in one vs one and those guys enhance themselves with daemon magicks.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Maybe when WCIII the Book comes out we could do a little debate about it, but as it stands all we have is wildley inaccurate game mechanics

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

I don't care how good Arthas' reflexes are, they cannont be faster than those of a person who can see things before they happen. Arthas puts up a good fight, but vader takes him down.
Lucifer Morningstar
Redshirt

*sighs*
NO Precog.. you cannot say Vaders whole fighting style bases on Pre-cog and without it he's useless..
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Why is that people take oput Pre-cog when they pretty much have never SEEN a Jedi fight without it.

It's an innate power they use from training because of the Force.

And Bean is right this thread is virtually useless because we have no idea what Arthas can do aside from Game mechanics.

So unless someone can provide some pice of novel/handbook/something that demonstrates Arthas' powers I'm locking it.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Lucifer Morningstar
Redshirt

GAH!
I give it up!

Is there no FRIGGIN chance in hell to just get a fun thread going???
Does it ALWAYS have to have an part where an Jedi ALWAYS has to have to know what the opponent does in advance?
Lucifer Morningstar
Redshirt

Bickering an Bitchin if a Jedi doesn't own his opponent ten ways from sunday...
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Lucifer Morningstar wrote:Bickering an Bitchin if a Jedi doesn't own his opponent ten ways from sunday...
First of all, since when was anyone "Bitching?" A jedi's combat abilities come from his force abilities so removing them would be like hacking off Arthas' sword arm before the fight. You simply cannot accurately judge the jedi's abilities when he has no force powers whatsoever
keflex
Redshirt

Post by keflex »

Darksider wrote:I don't care how good Arthas' reflexes are, they cannont be faster than those of a person who can see things before they happen.
Unfortunately, this seems to be quite a common logical fallacy.

Precog != Reflexes

Precog = Preparation.

If a normal human had precog and could see 1 second into the future, does that allow them to dodge the bullet that is fired the instant after that 1 second?

We could also assume that you have enough prescience to see 5 minutes into the future. And in that future you are jumped by 5 big thugs. Does that mean you have better reflexes than those thugs? Obviously not. It merely means you can prepare for that situation.

I'll admit that precog can help your reflexes a bit (by being prepared and knowing what to do, you can cut down your reaction time) but reaction time during the situation is the main determinant of your reflexes. Not precog. Otherwise average Joe Schmoe w/ precog would have better reflexes than a Jedi w/out precog.

(An example would be akin to having a crystal ball: If you had a crystall ball and saw yourself in a hostage situation in an hour, does that mean you have the reflexes to dodge the bullets those hostage takers fire?

Another example: If I told you that I was going to shoot you in 5 seconds, do you have reflexes to dodge the bullet I fire?)
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Yet the Jedi have shown they have the reflexes to adapt to most situations with Pre-cog.

Besides it's doesn't do much to persay the debate, and thus locking because we have no information on Arthas aside from Game stats.

For all we know Frostmourne could sunder continents.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete