Middle Earth vs. Narnia

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

KK
Village Idiot

Middle Earth vs. Narnia

Post by KK »

All out war between the two fantasy worlds.

Which comes out on top?
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

When is it for Middle Earth? Are their any limitations for the two sides? Both matter alot for Middle Earth.
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

That's the problem. Aslan represents Jesus, and since C.S. Lewis was a Christian, all God's omnipotence goes into the Aslan character. However, throughout the series we never really see Aslan doing much fighting.
Narnia is a little nation. In The Horse and His boy, Prince Rabadash of Calormene say that "A thousand spears could conquer it in six weeks." Now, this was during the reign of Peter the High King, a period almost universally refered to as Narnia's Golden Age, when Narnia was at the height of its prosperity. I don't really know much about its military power during that time, save that it matched Calormen at sea.
Narnia is not very militarized, it's more of a peaceful fantasy land.
It was protected from Calormene by superstious Tisrocs (The Calormene ruler) and a large desert. In The Last Battle, when Calormenes finally got troops into Narnia, they established control rather firmly. Of course, it helped that the true king was captured, and Shift had all the talking animals thinking Aslan wanted them to comply with the Tisroc's commands, but still, Narnia is not very strong.
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

Setzer wrote:--snip about the Kingdom of Narnia--
the OP compared the two worlds, which menas all hjtree mainland continents, the wildlands to the North, and the relams in the Great Eastern Ocean.
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
KK
Village Idiot

Post by KK »

I just used the term Narnia since that's what most people would recognize.

But yeah, I'm thinking the lands unified.
Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

It all boils down to Gandalf the White vs. Aslan. I predict Calormen overrun by Uruk-hai, Minas Tirith razing Cair Parivel, and talking animal's pelts adorning Rivendell.
Hokey masers and giant robots are no match for a good kaiju at your side, kid
Post #666: 5-24-03, 8:26 am (Hey, why not?)
Do you not believe in Thor, the Viking Thunder God? If not, then do you consider your state of disbelief in Thor to be a religion? Are you an AThorist?-Darth Wong on Atheism as a religion
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

Darth Gojira wrote:It all boils down to Gandalf the White vs. Aslan. I predict Calormen overrun by Uruk-hai, Minas Tirith razing Cair Parivel, and talking animal's pelts adorning Rivendell.
Id have to agree to that. and, sauron I expect may get involved, if orcs are.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Middle Earth kicks the shit out of Narnia. This is a place where regular animals engage in combat. Can you say hunting season?
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
JodoForce
Village Idiot

Post by JodoForce »

innerbrat wrote:
the OP compared the two worlds, which menas all hjtree mainland continents, the wildlands to the North, and the relams in the Great Eastern Ocean.
Well that's stupid, why would each world unite from within to fight the other world?
Busily picking nuggets out of my well-greased ass.
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

You're forgetting the Christian themes running through Narnia. They quite Literally have God on their side. It's like the Empire attacking the Federation with Q on the Feddie's side. If Aslan doesn't get involved, the Narnia will be rippedto shreds.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Setzer wrote:You're forgetting the Christian themes running through Narnia. They quite Literally have God on their side. It's like the Empire attacking the Federation with Q on the Feddie's side. If Aslan doesn't get involved, the Narnia will be rippedto shreds.
Course the debate could always be made that in the Bible God is unable to defeat Iron Chariots :wink:

In the End...just because he has the power of God...does he do literally things that are comparable to Q(asking more or less since it's been many, many years since I've read the Chronicles of Narnia)
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
KK
Village Idiot

Post by KK »

JodoForce wrote: Well that's stupid, why would each world unite from within to fight the other world?
A common enemy. Unitied for the greater good. Lesser of two enemies.

Chose any of the common themes found in literature.
KK
Village Idiot

Post by KK »

Ghost Rider wrote: In the End...just because he has the power of God...does he do literally things that are comparable to Q(asking more or less since it's been many, many years since I've read the Chronicles of Narnia)
In The Magicians Nephew he created the world and everything in it ala Genesis, only it took him much less time.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

If you invoked Aslan's Godlike powers, then the Middle Earth side gets to invoke Illumintor and the Valar, in which case the whole thing winds as a draw. Therefor, I think it would be nice to lay down a ground rule preventing the intervention of either Illumintor or Aslan, so as not to devolve into a 'My god is stronger than your god!' game of one-upsmanship.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
KK
Village Idiot

Post by KK »

How about if the godlike beings fight off in some distant dimension, and the mortal beings fight without help from their gods.

So it's two different battles.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

There's no reason to the involve the godlike beings at all. They're both omnipotent so a battle would be pointless and stupid.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Well, since there are an infinite number of Narnian universes, Narnia would win.

Middle Earth, however, could CRUSH any individual Narnian universe.

Interestingly enough, the authors were close friends who frequently shared ideas and worked with each other, so I find it ironic that we now pit the two's creations against each other in a fight to the death.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

Enforcer Talen wrote:
Darth Gojira wrote:It all boils down to Gandalf the White vs. Aslan. I predict Calormen overrun by Uruk-hai, Minas Tirith razing Cair Parivel, and talking animal's pelts adorning Rivendell.
Id have to agree to that. and, sauron I expect may get involved, if orcs are.
If I was Sauron, I would leap at the chance. I mean, who needs Gondor when you've got an entire continent at your fingertips?
Do you not believe in Thor, the Viking Thunder God? If not, then do you consider your state of disbelief in Thor to be a religion? Are you an AThorist?-Darth Wong on Atheism as a religion
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Master of Ossus wrote:Well, since there are an infinite number of Narnian universes, Narnia would win.
How are there an infinite number of Narnian universes? There were an infinite number of pools in the Forrest, but only one of them led to Narnia.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Unless you meant the "worlds within a world" from The Lat Battle, but that only happened after the world ended.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Master of Ossus wrote:
Interestingly enough, the authors were close friends who frequently shared ideas and worked with each other, so I find it ironic that we now pit the two's creations against each other in a fight to the death.
I did not know that. But I find the idea amusing, its really little different then a STGOD when you think about it.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I'm not sure if this was adressed, but could ME get Illuvatar, or at least the Valar?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Illuvatar! That's right, I knew it wasn't Illumintar.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

HemlockGrey wrote:Illuvatar! That's right, I knew it wasn't Illumintar.
Illumitar sounds like a flashlight brand! :wink:
Hethrir
Jedi Master

Post by Hethrir »

Master of Ossus wrote:...Interestingly enough, the authors were close friends who frequently shared ideas and worked with each other, so I find it ironic that we now pit the two's creations against each other in a fight to the death.
I vote stalemate. Logical flaw that the universes can co-exist.