McFarlane's Spider-Man

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Mark S
The Quiet One

McFarlane's Spider-Man

Post by Mark S »

So when Todd McFarlane was still at Marvel and released his own title of Spider-Man, what did you guys think of it. The subjects were a little more serious than normal Marvel (child murder and obduction) but I liked them. I really like the Demonized Hobgoblin. Stopped collecting before it was taken over by another writer/artist so I don't know where it went from there.

Any thoughts?
Writer's Guild 'Ghost in the Machine'/Decepticon 'Devastator'/BOTM 'Space Ape'/Justice League 'The Tick'
"The best part of 'believe' is the lie."
It's always the quiet ones.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I never liked his art.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Re: McFarlane's Spider-Man

Post by Rob Wilson »

Mark S wrote:So when Todd McFarlane was still at Marvel and released his own title of Spider-Man, what did you guys think of it. The subjects were a little more serious than normal Marvel (child murder and obduction) but I liked them. I really like the Demonized Hobgoblin. Stopped collecting before it was taken over by another writer/artist so I don't know where it went from there.

Any thoughts?
I didn't like how he drew people in the early days, far to weird. His Superhero's and Villans loked the business, but he just couldn't do ordinary people - MJ a supermodel actress? With a face like it had been hit with a frying pan. :roll:

His stories were good, and seemed miles better than the other Wartists out there at the time (Rob Liefield, what the fuck! :shock: ). The only ones that really matured from the Wartist boom were Erik Larsen in Savage dragon and Mike Alred in Madman, both of whom showed how good they could be (though it took Larsen some time).

Macfarlane simply took the easy route and got others to do the writing when he started Spawn (how can you go wrong with Alan Grant or Alan Moore writing your issues?) :wink: .
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer
Location: New Mexico... and yes it is a state , Go look at a fucking map of the USA

Post by thecreech »

i liked McFarlane's Spider-Man. Issues 314-316 were great