Fellow fans of Akira....

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Fellow fans of Akira....

Post by Peregrin Toker »

.... Ever since I started reading "Akira", I wondered: Why do most of the cars of year 2030 look exactly like those used when Akira was first published (not ALL of them, mind you - we see a few futuristic-looking cars, mostly used by the police) while 90% of the motorcycles only bear a vague resemblance to their 20th century counterparts??

Is there an explanation for the dearth of futuristic cars (in contrast to the abundance of really cool futuristic motorcycles) in "Akira", or is it all just coincidence??
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Keep in mind that Tokyo was turned into a giant crator and WWIII happened soon after. I doubt new vehicle designs were on the agenda.:P
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Aya wrote:Keep in mind that Tokyo was turned into a giant crator and WWIII happened soon after. I doubt new vehicle designs were on the agenda.:P
Okay, but how does this explain the weird-looking motorcycles??

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

Simon H.Johansen wrote:Okay, but how does this explain the weird-looking motorcycles??
Perhaps since bikes use less material, that they began to replace cars in the cash-strapped future,
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Yogi wrote:
Simon H.Johansen wrote:Okay, but how does this explain the weird-looking motorcycles??
Perhaps since bikes use less material, that they began to replace cars in the cash-strapped future,
Hmm... now I understand!