MCU: Marvel's "The Marvels" By Marvel Studios (Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

MCU: Marvel's "The Marvels" By Marvel Studios (Spoilers)

Post by Crazedwraith »

So it's in its third week of release. Everyone who wanted to see it saw it early and have already talked about it and by the lack of thread here, no one here wants to talk about it.

But I just got back from it and want to blather about it!

It was fun y'all! That's kind of a strength and a weakness because it technically has a big cosmic threat for scopes but it's not really about that. It's about having fun with the three titular characters: Carol Danvers (Captain Marvel), Kamala Khan (Ms Marvel) and Captain Monica Rambeau (Captain Monica Rambeau). All who has similar powers and are now swapping places anytime they use their powers at the same time.

So this is the cause of some unique and confusing actions scenes as they all swap locations, and is the reason why they have to bring teenage Kamala with them because they don't want her randomly swapping out into a fight or into space unprotected.

It hits all the spots you'd expect. Monica is distant from Carol because she never returned to Earth. (or rather did but only during the blip.) Kamala fangirling about Carol but the reality not being quite what she expects. Why Carol never returned to Earth apart from when called. It never really gets bogged down in this though. It's 1hr 45 minutes long and to me it didn't feel short but it packs a lot into the runtime and keeps up a pretty fast pace. If it feels like it could have taken the extra 10-15 minutes and polished the character stuff and give it more room to breathe and still been punchy though.

Carol and Monica are rather reserved by Kamala really picks up the slack in character and emoting and pretty much carries the movie which is a lot of the young Actress but she's damn good as Kamala.

There Some fights, some singing, a lot of silliness on the Saber space station. It's actually all good fun.

If I was in the mood to criticise, I think you could pick a lot of holes in it but I'm not. Basically I think it's decent and it doesn't do anything actually wrong, but everything it does do could have been better and with more polish.

The other big complaint you here is that 2/3rds of the Marvels: Kamala and Adult Monica were introduced in D+ shows so why should people care and if that's why people didn't go, well they're missing out. Movies introduce new characters all the time and expects you to care about them. Now I have watched the shows so maybe I can't judge but I don' think you'd have t rouble if you hadn't seen them. They get referenced but if they weren't shows they could just be Noodle Incidents (Kamala's show is more important but still understandable from what they tell you.) and the characters are so broad, you don't need their precise history to understand them.

I marked the thread spoilers but I'm really happy I saw this without spoiling myself so here are double super extra spoilers.
Spoiler
Cameos! We got cameos! King Valkyrie offers the skrulls sanctuary.

Then the endscene where Kamala tries to re-enact Fury in Iron Man 1 with Kate Bishop as her Tony Stark. I will forgive the film almost anything because I want more Hawkeye and this was a brilliant way to do it. I really hope the follow up on Kamala's team but I don't really think they will since this is bombing hard.

And finale Monica wakes up in with a parallel version of her mother who like 838 Maria, is Captain Marvel (or rather Binary) but has no kid and then Beast appears voiced by Kesley Grammer and it turns out she's in an X-Mansion.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: MCU: Marvel's "The Marvels" By Marvel Studios (Spoilers)

Post by Solauren »

My wife and I haven't gone to see 'The Marvels' in threater for several reasons

#1 - We were sick for the first few weeks it was in theater.
#2 - We tried watching Ms. Marvel, and couldn't even finish the first episode.
#3 - While the first Captain Marvel movie was fun, we just don't have an emotional connection to any of the characters.

We'll watch it once it's out on DVD/Marvel streaming
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Re: MCU: Marvel's "The Marvels" By Marvel Studios (Spoilers)

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

I just saw it on + and it's the first film in the MCU where at least four of the Disney+ series are required viewing to get the most out of it, for the backstories of two of the main characters:
  • Miss Marvel
  • WandaVision
For the wider events:
  • Secret Invasion
And for the stinger:
  • Hawkeye
Even if it was inevitable that the villain would (briefly) get hold of both Quantum Bands Bangles before Miss Marvel did! :mrgreen:
Anyway, here's the HISHE: