Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania (Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania (Spoilers)

Post by Crazedwraith »

I just got back from Marvel's latest film.

I might have more to say but it didn't really have the charm of the first two movies for me. Spoilers to follow as tagged in title.

s
p
o
i
l
e
r

g
a
p

Quick summary: Basically the Pyms and Langs get sucked down to the quantum realm in the first twenty minutes. It turns out it's basically a space society down there and Janet spent those 30 years fighting against Kang The Conqueror who was trapped down there by all the other Kangs, she helped him almost escape but found out what he was just in time and messed with his power source. He tries to force the Langs to get it back for him while the Pyms foment a massive rebellion against him. Cue epic final battle.

It's all Cgi, all the time and while it's not bad. It's all just so perfunctory? Heartless? Shallow? I read before hand that it was written by a Rick and Morty Writer. (and marvel has hired at least three of them) and felt like a 2 hour R&M episode and I don't know if it would have occurred to me but having read it... I see what they mean.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Re: Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania (Spoilers)

Post by Bedlam »

Yeah, I mostly agree. I can't really think of anything major that was bad about it, or that was really good, it's just sort of there.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I would say that the best part of it was Jonathon Majors. I'm keen to see how he handles being lots of different versions of the same guy in the Council of Ricks Kangs.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Hey the councils of Kangs / Reeds predate Rick and Morty. Hopefully they'll avoid the pitfall of all the non-focused on Kangs all seeming like canon fodder, like in most R&M council episodes.

But yeah, hard to argue than Jonathan Majors (not John Major as i misremembered his name ;) ) put in the strongest performance.

I'm mad because the first two scenes with Cassie sets up an actual character plotline of her and her dad and the need for actual altruistic heroism that would contrast the first two film and then they go the Quantum realm and only deal with it superficially.
DevinJ
Redshirt

Post by DevinJ »

I haven't watched this movie. But I love Marvel movies.
If you Need Diablo 4 Gold, please contact me.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I'll be honest, I've not bothered. Too many folks saying negative things :(
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-03-08 10:55pm I'll be honest, I've not bothered. Too many folks saying negative things :(
Yeah, given the week on week drop in box office that's not uncommon. It's not doing well.

It's on $422 million box office the moment on $200 million budget so it's at best just breaking even. (I've heard 2x or 2.5x or 3x a budget as break even point)

Of course everyone who was already inclined to dislike the MCU is crowing that this is the end for it and superhero/mcu fatigue has (finally) hit. We'll see. GotG V3 seems sure to do well but I worried about the delayed The Marvels.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

I just watched it on Disney+, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, even though it did lack the presence of Michael Peña and the crew and their signature dialogue scene. And the presence of Loki in the post-credits scene hints at Kang popping up in his series again.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Evilchumlee
Youngling

Post by Evilchumlee »

I really don't understand the hate this movie generated. It's not GREAT, but it's not bad. It's better than Eternals, Wakanda Forever, and Love and Thunder.

The "worst" part was MODOK looked silly. But. He's MODOK. He's supposed to be silly.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Evilchumlee wrote: 2023-05-22 02:00pm I really don't understand the hate this movie generated. It's not GREAT, but it's not bad. It's better than Eternals, Wakanda Forever, and Love and Thunder.

The "worst" part was MODOK looked silly. But. He's MODOK. He's supposed to be silly.
I think the fact that it's 'below average' for a Marvel film, and the first one to be that for a while, is skewing people's perspective.

Then again, I'm a MST3K watcher. My definition of "Bad Movie" is far different than most people's.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Evilchumlee
Youngling

Post by Evilchumlee »

Majin Gojira wrote: 2023-05-28 10:57pm I think the fact that it's 'below average' for a Marvel film, and the first one to be that for a while, is skewing people's perspective.
I feel like that's an odd observation too... I think most of Phase 4 has been "below average".

Black Widow was... like... fine? Completely unnecessary, oddly timed, but... fine?
Eternals was absolute hot garbage.
Shang Chi was pretty cool, although I find myself not particularly wanting to watch it again.
Spiderman was awesome.
Dr. Strange was awesome (I know some will disagree)
Thor was... I don't know. *I* liked Thor, but I can acknowledge it was overly silly. It was SUPPOSED to be silly, but I get it.
Wakanda Forever was a mess. It wasn't bad, but it definitely wasn't good. It's understandable... there was alot it had to be. It was a rewritten movie that had to be Black Panther 2 but without Black Panther and also devote a portion to being a Chadwick Boseman memorial. I get WHY it was a mess, but it was.

Ant-Man was... fine. It was fun. It was my number 3 in the post-Endgame space prior to Guardians 3. That shifted most down, I think Spiderman is still number one, Guardians took my #2 spot, Dr. Strange 3 and Ant-Man 4.