She-Hulk: Attorney At Law (spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

She-Hulk: Attorney At Law (spoilers)

Post by Crazedwraith »

The first episode dropped today and it was fun. Nice to get an explanation for Bruce's human form. The accidental rather than deliberate blood transfusion does make sense since they'd know the risks.

Hopefully the sakaar ship plot thread will come back.

I’d guessed hat Bruce's cgi scenes from the trailers were most of the ones from the show. (show the money!) but I guess we'll see if he comes back for more. This show did more to sell Bruce and Tony as friends that the movies ever did and Tony's not even there. Good job Ruffalo. Mixed feelings about the Steve stuff but fodder for the shippers that Tony never shut up about steve.

It's Jen's show so of course she gets to show up Bruce a bit but ultimately Bruce is going to be proved partially correct. She can't escape doing superhero stuff and it's really going to affect her public image.

Nice set up. Looking forward to more.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: She-Hulk: Attorney At Law (spoilers)

Post by LadyTevar »

Great start, I'm really hoping things keep going in this direction. The 4th Wall Breaks are perfect as well.

Good comic timing, but also VERY ON POINT with the 'women swallow their anger/control their emotions" exchange. We bite our tongues, smile and nod, let far too much go by because making a scene is NOT going to help the situation, and might possibly get us hurt socially or physically.

I have high hopes for this.

And yes, Captain America F----
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Oh! Opening shot!

How many little in-jokes were there JUST in the BOOKCASE behind her? Ginsberg wearing her pearls and a crown!! A Porg with a Chewbacca bandolier?

I want to go back and pause and magnify just to see everything!

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode.

I suspect some of the dude-bros will have a meltdown over this or that thing, but fuck 'em - they are not the audience for this show. Which will piss them off, but again, fuck 'em.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I'd forgotten it was out until yesterday evening, so I took the time to watch it. Looking forward to more of Jen breaking the fourth wall (she did that before Deadpool after all).
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Liked it very much, and never even read She-Hulk. The training sequence was very nicely done, as was Bruce not having a good explanation for how the 'De-Hulking'process works. Jens explanation for why it's so much easier for her was very spot-on even if its going to piss of a lot of right-wing male viewers (and how many of those are even going to watch that series?)
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Batman wrote: 2022-08-20 04:34pm Liked it very much, and never even read She-Hulk. The training sequence was very nicely done, as was Bruce not having a good explanation for how the 'De-Hulking'process works. Jens explanation for why it's so much easier for her was very spot-on even if its going to piss of a lot of right-wing male viewers (and how many of those are even going to watch that series?)
Oh, there will be those who watch it JUST so they have something to rant about. Because they're that head-up-arse rabid about things being "woke" and "feminized".

Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-08-20 11:17pm
Batman wrote: 2022-08-20 04:34pm Liked it very much, and never even read She-Hulk. The training sequence was very nicely done, as was Bruce not having a good explanation for how the 'De-Hulking'process works. Jens explanation for why it's so much easier for her was very spot-on even if its going to piss of a lot of right-wing male viewers (and how many of those are even going to watch that series?)
Oh, there will be those who watch it JUST so they have something to rant about. Because they're that head-up-arse rabid about things being "woke" and "feminized".
Well lets see,
Worse than I thought
Feminist BS
Man hating crap
The MCU is dying

Lots of people I do not need to watch in other words.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Lost Soal wrote: 2022-08-21 04:42pm
LadyTevar wrote: 2022-08-20 11:17pm
Well lets see,
Worse than I thought
Feminist BS
Man hating crap
The MCU is dying

Lots of people I do not need to watch in other words.
And yet you came into this thread JUST to say that. Thus proving my point.

You are very welcome to not watch it, and to not let the door hit you on the way out.

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Err-I think he's agreeing with you.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

That's how I read it too. Lost Soal was just providing a list of the generic angry statements getting around.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

That's the way I understood it as well, though seeing the clusterfuck of a thread in "Other Scifi" I can see why Tev might be a bit on edge currently.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

That'd be 'on' edge and I haven't looked at the timestamps but I agree after the shit AndroAsc pulled there I could see her being a bit sensitive on the topic too.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

I was talking about the Youtubers clogging up the search for She Hulk, I had no problems with the episode so long as they actually address the ship out of nowhere which started it all. That's a bloody strange way of causing a generic car crash.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Yep, already seen a lot of bros and dudes saying about the "baseline for a woman" thing that life isn't like that for women. Yes, it actually is, far more than men imagine.

It's on par with telling someone Black that racial discrimination doesn't exist in the US or it's "not that bad". Yes, it is.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I mean as true as it is in real life about regular people it is slightly silly applied to Bruce Banner who spent a decade an a half trying to keep his green rage monster in check.

But then I see the pilot as an instance where both Jen and Bruce are both right and wrong. Jen is more skilled and capable than Bruce thinks, but she's still naive and in denial about how much this is going to chance her life. Bruce is right to warn her but a dick to try and push 'you must be a superhero no whatever you want' on her.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Lost Soal wrote: 2022-08-22 01:42am I was talking about the Youtubers clogging up the search for She Hulk, I had no problems with the episode so long as they actually address the ship out of nowhere which started it all. That's a bloody strange way of causing a generic car crash.
My Apologies Lost Soal

Those saying I was on edge and knee-jerk reacting were right.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2022-08-22 10:07am I mean as true as it is in real life about regular people it is slightly silly applied to Bruce Banner who spent a decade an a half trying to keep his green rage monster in check.

But then I see the pilot as an instance where both Jen and Bruce are both right and wrong. Jen is more skilled and capable than Bruce thinks, but she's still naive and in denial about how much this is going to chance her life. Bruce is right to warn her but a dick to try and push 'you must be a superhero no whatever you want' on her.
I know a man who was raised in an abusive home, and "escaped" into the military where he did things that only show up in the "Black Ops" video games (some of the action is direct rip-offs of his squad's action reports). He admits there is a "werewolf" inside him that he can't let out, because it enjoys violence too much. He keeps it caged, keeps his anger in check as much as possible, because to do otherwise will let the werewolf out.

This version of Bruce Banner had a 'werewolf' caged up, that came out as the Hulk. Like my friend, he then needed several years of therapy to get to the point where he was able to live with that angry violent side.

This is why I agree that women are not the "more emotional" ones. We've been trained to hide/swallow/control our emotions since we were toddlers. Boys got to run and play and be loud. Girls are supposed to be quiet and play in a corner with their dolls. The indoctrination and expectations start that young.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

That might also explain why when first Bruce Hulked out it was the "other guy" in the driver's seat and Bruce couldn't remember anything about what he did as the Hulk. With with Jenn she was always herself just big, green and slightly more out going.

For Bruce the Hulk is a personification for that inner anger, which is why the Hulk is simple minded and constantly angry since it's the part of Bruce Banner's personality that just wants to rage and break things as means of dealing with the abuse he encountered.

With Jenn (and this is true in comics as well) She-Hulk is more like the person she wishes she could be, which is why She-Hulk is not only fully under control but also recognizes herself still as Jennifer as She-Hulk is more of an idealized version of the original rather then a beast that needs to be contained like the Savage Hulk was for Bruce Banner.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Lord Revan wrote: 2022-08-22 04:05pm That might also explain why when first Bruce Hulked out it was the "other guy" in the driver's seat and Bruce couldn't remember anything about what he did as the Hulk. With with Jenn she was always herself just big, green and slightly more out going.

For Bruce the Hulk is a personification for that inner anger, which is why the Hulk is simple minded and constantly angry since it's the part of Bruce Banner's personality that just wants to rage and break things as means of dealing with the abuse he encountered.

With Jenn (and this is true in comics as well) She-Hulk is more like the person she wishes she could be, which is why She-Hulk is not only fully under control but also recognizes herself still as Jennifer as She-Hulk is more of an idealized version of the original rather then a beast that needs to be contained like the Savage Hulk was for Bruce Banner.
THANK YOU!

This is what I was trying to get at, but didn't have time before work to finish the thought.

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Lol right-wing idiots are unhappy that others aren't as angry as them about stuff. Goes to show what a sham social media accounts "anti-wokeism" really is. For all the complaints about pushing agendas, they are guilty of pushing their agenda onto others as well.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Episode 2 thoughts: So short episodes are short. I realised it would be when we got nine episodes instead of six but still this one felt like it ended right when it started getting going.

There are a lot of jokes/humour but it doesn’t really live up the promo of it being an actual sitcom.

Still enjoying it.

Blonksy’s whole thing that he’s reformed and has seven soul mate pen friends was hilarious. And the conversation with Bruce afterwards and Blonksy getting immediately busted with reference to Shang Chi was all great.

But still, so short.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Short, but I enjoyed it as well.

Especially the reference to Shang-Chi.

And LOOK! They answered the question about the SHIP!

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Almost as entertaining as the show itself (which I am thoroughly enjoying) is watching the dude-bros/incels losing their shit over a show they don't like being popular and well-received.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Broomstick wrote: 2022-08-26 03:02pm Almost as entertaining as the show itself (which I am thoroughly enjoying) is watching the dude-bros/incels losing their shit over a show they don't like being popular and well-received.
Even though I don't watch those vids some of the titles of the vids Youtube likes shove to me are hilarious by themselves already, you have to wonder who fragile ones ego must be if the idea that there's a popular series that has lead that isn't like them causes this much rage for them.