Batgirl movie shelved despite near-completion.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Re: Batgirl movie shelved despite near-completion.

Post by bilateralrope »

‘Kicking Henry Cavill out, annihilating SnyderVerse wasn’t enough?’: WB Selling its $1B Worth Music Library To Stay Afloat in Fight Against Disney
by Vivek Kumar
2 days ago

WB Discovery was formed as a result of merging Warnermedia by AT&T and Discovery, Inc. last year on April 8, 2022. In an effort to prevent the complete failure of the multinational multimedia company, this new merge was seen as a life savior. The Chief Executive Officer of WB Discovery David Zaslav has now decided to trim off the loan from their budget by selling the historic music library worth $1 billion as per reports.

WB Continues to Scrap Shows and Actors

A few months after the merger, Zaslav took several steps including the firing of several executives, a merger with British telecom BT company group, and following its lawsuit against shareholders who argued that the company is investing a lot on streaming platforms without securing a safe channel of return. It is not a hidden fact that the past few years have not been good for WB Discovery altogether. WB has scrapped many projects including Scoob!: Holiday Haunt and Batgirl which is the most expensive canceled cinematic project. The removal of fan-favorite Henry Cavill as Superman and Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman continues to be the stepping stone toward the doom of WB.

The Warner Bros movie studio created a music division back in the 1950s. In 2004 the parent company sold the music division but retained the copyrights of music. Now, this decision to sell music tracks from decades-old collections has outraged the public, resulting in harsh criticism against the current board for not handling the company’s legacy properly.

WB’s Decision to Sell their Music Tracks Invites Public Wrath

Zaslav who is planning to reduce the company’s financial burden by selling the tracks in the hot market of music copyrights can make up to $1 billion as per reports. The Chief Financial Officer of WB Discovery, Gunnar Wiedenfels has his own say in justifying the company’s action.
“We shaved off a lot of the excess last year, and I think that’s something that everyone else in the industry is going to go through. We’re coming from an irrational time of overspending with very limited focus on return on investment. We are just consistently and continuously looking at how we’re running the business. What makes sense? What doesn’t make sense?”
Though the entire process is in the initial stages and no confirmations have been made so far about the access and no, of music tracks that will be made available for potential buyers. WB Discovery was hard hit last year as its shares dropped by more than half. But the beginning of the new year shows some promise as the shares rise by more than a third. Many claim that the move by Zaslav is important to save WB Discover. Fans already have a long list of reasons to be upset with the company, and this news looks like a new addition to that list. The future of WB is surely unclear but its new board seems to be trying its best to save the firm.
Major asset sales like this never look good. But, if a company is in bad enough shape to need that much money quickly, it would make more sense to do them before removing shows to dodge residual payments.

Also, on december 21, the podcast Baseless Speculation put out an episode discussing the current state of the DC cinematic universe. It doesn't sound like it can be salvaged, but I'll admit I listen to that podcast because they can be entertainingly stupid, not because I expect any thoughtful insight out of them.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

As stupid as a lot of decisions are putting in Gunn and Safran and them doing a full clean slate reboot of the DCEU feels like a sensible move to me.

It sucks for Cavill especially as he was jerked around by the interrim crew before Gunn/safran arrived but it's no unreasonable in and of itself.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The only way that could have kept Henry Cavil as Superman would to have ignored all the movie in the DCEU post Man of Steel, and start again with that as the starting point. (You could also keep the first Wonder Woman movie)

Problem with that is.....
Man of Steel is approaching 10 years old.
Henry Cavil is now 39. You might be able to get 1 - 2 more Superman movies out of him. (When the decision was made, his other commitments probably made more then that difficult at best)
Amy Adams is 48 now. Same issue. The other supporting leads are in their late 50/early 60s.

Combined with the other problems that have occurred (including the rather public ones with Ezra Miller), the best thing to do is a reboot, and let the upcoming Flash movie serve as that. Yeah, it sucks for the actors, but that's Hollywood.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

It's a shame that they're throwing so much out to just restart it all with Gunn of all people.

No more Batfleck, no more gods making a massive 11/9 event in comic New York, no more of what made the whole thing really stand apart from the MCU.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Gandalf wrote: 2023-01-15 09:47pm It's a shame that they're throwing so much out to just restart it all with Gunn of all people.

No more Batfleck, no more gods making a massive 11/9 event in comic New York, no more of what made the whole thing really stand apart from the MCU.
To be fair, the MCU beat them 9 ways from Sunday by being better movies overall.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Do you mean better as in more crowd pleasing products, or actually better made?

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

An interesting distinction, in and of itself.

I certainly find the MCU more entertaining, I wouldn't hazard a guess if it was "actually better made" but the former beats out the latter to me.

eta: Until we've seen what Gunn and Safran actually come up with I don't know if it'll be better than the Synder-verse, hard to believe it could be worse though.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Synder was overly dreary. Shazam was goofy and colorful yet still well made and mature
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2023-01-16 02:56pm An interesting distinction, in and of itself.

I certainly find the MCU more entertaining, I wouldn't hazard a guess if it was "actually better made" but the former beats out the latter to me.
I find that they sit in different places. MCU films are easy to watch fare. They know their lane and stay in it, so you know what to expect going in. Quips, punching, and a somewhat happy ending.

The DC films have some missteps, but try to do more with the premise of super people.

- George Carlin
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

And in many cases it was done very badly.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

HBO Boss Dodges J.K. Rowling Anti-Trans Controversy After Announcing ‘Harry Potter’ Series: ‘Our Priority Is What’s on Screen’
By Angelique Jackson, Adam B. Vary

The announcement of a new “Harry Potter” TV series served as the climax of Warner Bros. Discovery’s presentation to press and investors on April 12 to tout the combination of HBO Max and Discovery+ into a new service dubbed simply Max.

During a Q&A with press after the presentation, however, executives were less forthcoming about the involvement of the franchise’s creator, J.K. Rowling. The author, who will be an executive producer on the series, has become an increasingly controversial figure for repeatedly sharing views that trans women are not women, and trans men are not men.

Casey Bloys, chairman and CEO of HBO and Max content, declined to comment on Rowling’s views when asked how they may affect the ability to find talent for the series.

“No, I don’t think this is the forum,” Bloys said. “That’s a very online conversation, very nuanced and complicated and not something we’re going to get into.”

“Our priority is what’s on the screen,” Bloys continued. “Obviously, the ‘Harry Potter’ story is incredibly affirmative and positive and about love and self-acceptance. That’s our priority — what’s on screen.”

In terms of the TV series, Bloys stated simply: “[Rowling] will be involved. She’s an executive producer on the show. Her insights are going to be helpful on that.”

He continued: “The TV show is new and we’re excited about that, but, remember, we’ve been in the ‘Potter’ business for 20 years. This is not a new decision for us, we’re very comfortable being in the ‘Potter’ business.”

News of a show based on the megahit book series first leaked on April 3, but details have now been confirmed.

“Max’s commitment to preserving the integrity of my books is important to me,” the author said in a press release announcing the show, which noted that the series will be “a faithful adaptation” of Rowling’s seven “Harry Potter” novels. “And I’m looking forward to being part of this new adaptation which will allow for a degree of depth and detail only afforded by a long form television series.”

Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav said the “Potter” series will not preclude any other projects set in the wider Wizarding World franchise.

“We’re free to do anything we want,” Zaslav said. “In some areas, we’d need to do it with J.K., in other areas we have full ability to move forward. So this is a full deployment on the Max platform of ‘Harry Potter.’”

Later in the Q&A, Bloys addressed the potential budget for the “Harry Potter” series, comparing the scale for the show to that of “Game of Thrones” and “House of the Dragon.” In short, the budget will be “whatever it takes to make a quality show,” Bloys said.

Max will produce the series in association with Brontë Film and TV and Warner Bros. Television. Executive producers are Rowling, Neil Blair and Ruth Kenley-Letts, with David Heyman, who produced the “Harry Potter” film series and the “Fantastic Beasts” movies, in talks to return.

The next task is locking in the show’s writing staff and Bloys confirmed those discussions are in the early stages.

“We have been trying to be very close to the vest,” he said, nodding to the fact that news of the series leaked on April 3. “But we haven’t gone out to agencies yet. We have our own internal process where we’ve been thinking about people, but we have not wanted to go out into the world saying, ‘Who do you have?’ But now that the news is out, we will start.”
“That’s a very online conversation, very nuanced and complicated and not something we’re going to get into.”
Please stop thinking about it because we don't like it when thinking gets in the way of us making money.

Question for those of you that have read the Harry Potter novels: If this is a faithful adaptation of the novels, what kind of reception do you think this series will get ?
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Since all the 'J.K. Rowling is anti-LGBTQ+' screaming didn't appear to have much impact on the sales of Hogwarts Legacy, and that game is apparently super-inclusive....

(then again, realistically, any fantasy magical setting should be inclusive. Gender Switching and Race switching are a stable of magical fantasy. Zeus changed his species alot, and Loki changed his gender and species (sometimes both at once) as he felt like it.)

A faithful adaption of the Harry Potter novels, with nothing left out, could potentially be one of the highest rating TV shows during it's run, and for a long time afterwards.

People might complain about stuff like racial diversity, but just make the student population racial-demographic make up match 1991 Great Britain. People might complain about lack of gender identity politics in it, but just mention a gender-switching potion, and that handles that. (Polyjuice exists after all...)
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Solauren wrote: 2023-04-13 01:16pm Since all the 'J.K. Rowling is anti-LGBTQ+' screaming didn't appear to have much impact on the sales of Hogwarts Legacy, and that game is apparently super-inclusive....
Ah... the game is stuffed full of anti-Semitism from what I hear?
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2023-04-13 02:14pm
Solauren wrote: 2023-04-13 01:16pm Since all the 'J.K. Rowling is anti-LGBTQ+' screaming didn't appear to have much impact on the sales of Hogwarts Legacy, and that game is apparently super-inclusive....
Also apparently they altered the transgender character's voice to sound deeper/more masculine.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2023-04-13 02:14pm
Is that connected to the Goblin bankers being personified anti-Semitic tropes? Because that's been around since the original movies, or even the original books.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Apparently the lead game dev is also an outspoken anti-semite, which explains why he would pick up on the tropes Rowling used and emphasize the dog whistles for his own purposes. He basically found common ground with Rowling in that regard.

Harry Potter Is Dead To Me. What HBO doesn't understand is that this isn't about what is or is not in the text, what does or does not offend. This is about denying Rowling money to spend on bigoted bullshit. That it denies HBO and Warner's executives money in the process is not my problem.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Formless wrote: 2023-04-13 04:02pm Apparently the lead game dev is also an outspoken anti-semite, which explains why he would pick up on the tropes Rowling used and emphasize the dog whistles for his own purposes. He basically found common ground with Rowling in that regard.
I have seen nothing from a reputable source to support any 'racist/anti-LGBQT+' claims against it.

Hell, this is from Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogwarts_Legacy
Critical response

According to review aggregator Metacritic, Hogwarts Legacy received "generally favourable" reviews, based on 21 reviews for PC, 94 reviews for the PlayStation 5 and 20 reviews for the Xbox Series X.[105][106][107] The game was nominated for "Most Anticipated Game" at the Game Awards 2022 and for "Most Wanted Game" at the Golden Joystick Awards 2022.[123][124]

The environments and visuals were lauded by critics, with the majority of praise for the recreation of Hogwarts castle. GamesRadar+ complimented the world as being faithful to the existing Wizarding World lore,[113] and Destructoid appreciated the overall presentation and positive synergy with the universe.[108] Other reviewers echoed these points,[108][125][126][127][128] with NME writing that the world was probably "the best representation for fans".[129] Further praise was directed at the castle's level of detail.[130][131][132] Push Square highlighted the level of atmosphere and visual presentation, finding it made aimless activities like walking around Hogwarts enjoyable.[133] The surrounding areas set in the Scottish Highlands received similar plaudits, though some thought that other areas were not as engaging.[127][134][135]

The gameplay elements received mixed reactions. PC Gamer praised Legacy's "simple but harmonious systems", such as its take on wizard duels and building a personalised living space in the Room of Requirement.[17] Eurogamer Germany lauded the attention to detail in motivating the player to explore the world. They highlighted the "atmospheric" music and were impressed by the design of some of the game's quests and puzzles.[122] Destructoid complimented the range of activities and unlockables, but found the game "unremarkable" overall and contributing to the experience being "wrapped in a flawed open world shell".[136] NME similarly wrote that the game design felt dated, attributing this to its long development cycle.[129] The Guardian criticised the experience as "competent but unspectacular". While praising the presentation as "enchanting", they felt that progression made the game feel more derivative of other open-world examples.[137] GameRevolution described Legacy as fun but forgettable Harry Potter fan service, writing that features such as attending classes and creating potions lacked sufficient depth.[112] However, The combat was generally praised. PCGamesN called it the game's strongest aspect,[138] and The A.V. Club deemed it as the most interesting feature, calling more challenging fights "legitimately thrilling".[139] GameSpot described the combat and spells as giving "a great sense of power" for the player, though criticised the spell-selecting controls and the "uninteresting" enemy design;[140] Game Informer similarly lamented the enemies for lacking in variety.[141]

The game's narrative divided critics. Some praised the developer's handling of the narrative to tell an original story while in a setting that felt overly familiar.[128][142] Windows Central and Screen Rant deemed the story "engaging",[127][131] while the writing of the more detailed side-quests was positively highlighted by Video Games Chronicle as "sit[ting] comfortably with the best of the series".[143] Hardcore Gamer praised the story as "gripping", but felt it faltered towards the end.[130] PCMag in particular criticised the decision to have the protagonist act out a "Chosen One" role.[144] Other reviewers found the narrative it to be lacklustre, and at times illogical.[125][145]

The characters were mostly well-received. Windows Central described them as interesting, noting that they added depth to the world.[131] CNET complimented them for being well-written, and positively remarked upon their ethnic diversity,[146] which was echoed by PCMag.[144] IGN praised the companions for their characterization and roles.[125] The cast performances received similar compliments;[146][141] PCMag wrote that their quality made conversations feel natural.[144] On the other hand,Video Games Chronicle considered certain NPCs outside of Hogwarts to be lifeless.[143] Hardcore Gamer wrote the protagonist's rivals, Ranrok and Rookwood, failed as compelling antagonists, and were inferior compared to other established Harry Potter villains.[130]

Reviewers were critical of Legacy's technical aspects. PC Gamer experienced brief but frequent pauses at doors, as well as frame rate drops during uneventful moments.[17] Eurogamer Germany noted shading issues, and "stiff" facial expressions on character models,[122] and CNET thought that their eye movements occasionally felt unnatural.[146] Many noted that the game's performance was affected by a number of technical issues, including slow loading of textures, frame rate inconsistencies, visual glitches, clipping objects and inconsistent lighting.[125][131][144][147] GameStar reported performance problems overall while reviewing the PC version, especially in areas with many NPCs, but noticed the game's first patch alleviated some of these issues.[132]

As a result of the controversy surrounding Rowling, some publications chose not to cover or review Hogwarts Legacy,[85][92] and the internet forum ResetEra banned all discussion of it.[90][148] In its own review, Wired gave the game the lowest possible score, stating that it was mediocre and harmful.[149] The review, which was noted as politically-focused,[150] drew criticism from conservatives.[151][152] In response to the controversy, the studio added that the development focused on creating a rich and diverse world that would represent all groups of people.[39] According to PinkNews, transgender character Sirona Ryan's inclusion was dismissed by some activists as insincere, while unnamed sources involved in development allegedly stated that the character added nothing substantial and was solely created to avert criticism.[153]

Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Wikipedia has an explicit policy of staying neutral, dude. If you don't see the dog whistles, that's probably because you aren't as familiar with what antisemetic tropes and conspiracy theories in the modern day look like. There are other articles you can go to that have no obligation to stay neutral, and therefore can actually explain what the problem is.

As for the transphobia, it doesn't matter what is or isn't in the game. J.K. Rowling makes money off all Harry Potter merch and media. She then uses that money to fund projects that harm trans people. Fuck that. It does not matter who else worked on it. Its Rowling's IP.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Perhaps I missed something, but what does any of this have to do with the canceled Batgirl movie? :?
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

This stopped being about the cancelled Batgirl movie at about page 2.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Well yeah, but it was at least vaguely on the topic of superhero movies until it died in January, and then suddenly in April it's the Harry Potter show in what probably should have been a new post. :razz:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I guess it's all under the umbrella of hilarious decisions by WB?

- George Carlin
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2023-04-13 06:08pm Perhaps I missed something, but what does any of this have to do with the canceled Batgirl movie? :?
Because that was the start of all this behaviour from HBO/WB. All done after Zaslav took over as CEO.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Formless wrote: 2023-04-13 04:42pm
As for the transphobia, it doesn't matter what is or isn't in the game. J.K. Rowling makes money off all Harry Potter merch and media. She then uses that money to fund projects that harm trans people. Fuck that. It does not matter who else worked on it. Its Rowling's IP.
She's also made it clear that she considers continued sales success to be validating, and that by extension encourages other transphobes and discourages transgender people and others who care about them. Which is probably at least as big of a deal because it's not like Rowling doesn't have enough money to do or fund basically anything she wants.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Formless wrote: 2023-04-13 04:42pm As for the transphobia, it doesn't matter what is or isn't in the game. J.K. Rowling makes money off all Harry Potter merch and media. She then uses that money to fund projects that harm trans people. Fuck that. It does not matter who else worked on it. Its Rowling's IP.
That is a solid stance to take. Though what I've heard from people for felt they had an obligation to look past Rowling to see what was actually in the game says it's got a lot of other issues with the moral stances it takes. Like poaching being bad, so you must become a poacher to stop the other poachers.

As for this series, Rowling is executive producer. Anyone above her is refusing to talk about her transphobia, which tells me they agree with her. That's going to boost the proportion of bigots working on it, so their views will make it on screen.