D&D: Honor Among Thieves

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

D&D: Honor Among Thieves

Post by LadyTevar »

Well, the TRAILER looks pretty good. It has two dragons that I see so far: Black and Red (and what a fatty the Red is!)

[youtube]http://youtu.be/tpJGBnu-Ko0[/youtube]

Ok, don't know why the Link isn't doing right. Screw it.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: D&D: Honor Among Thieves

Post by LadyTevar »

Ok... What I like so far:

War-scene has what might be orcs, and what's definitely a Black Dragon (horns at the sides of face, breathing/puking black acid that's actually acting like acid).
Female Lead is Barbarian, looks like.
Not sure if guy in shiny armor is the Token Paladin, or just a Warrior.
Mage is scrawny lil guy, maybe half-elf?, but that might be a Helm of Force that they found/are using?
Tiefling Druid Wildshaper. And an OwlBear as one of her shapes.

Another Dragon! White or Silver, looks like a youngling.
MIMIC CHEST!!!
A Coliseum? Maybe death by Displacer Beast, as they dive into what looks like a Gelatinous Cube to escape it?

Battle against bad guy, nice magic missiles, nice use of portal/gate to escape the WildShape Owlbear.
OMG.. that is one BIG FAT Red Dragon.

... and the FaceGuy/Planner/Leader is a BARD. Of course.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Theories include that the city depicted is either Waterdeep or Greyhawk
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-07-22 11:41am Ok... What I like so far:

War-scene has what might be orcs, and what's definitely a Black Dragon (horns at the sides of face, breathing/puking black acid that's actually acting like acid).
Female Lead is Barbarian, looks like.
Not sure if guy in shiny armor is the Token Paladin, or just a Warrior.
Mage is scrawny lil guy, maybe half-elf?, but that might be a Helm of Force that they found/are using?
Tiefling Druid Wildshaper. And an OwlBear as one of her shapes.

Another Dragon! White or Silver, looks like a youngling.
MIMIC CHEST!!!
A Coliseum? Maybe death by Displacer Beast, as they dive into what looks like a Gelatinous Cube to escape it?

Battle against bad guy, nice magic missiles, nice use of portal/gate to escape the WildShape Owlbear.
OMG.. that is one BIG FAT Red Dragon.

... and the FaceGuy/Planner/Leader is a BARD. Of course.
They put out promo pictures of the leads with the 5e class symbols. Shiny armour is a Paladin, (half?)Elf Mage is a Sorcerer. Hugh Grant is a Rogue.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

It feels rather generic fantasy to me, although that's a core issue with a D&D movie given the game itself is really generic fantasy that you can create your own setting with. They do have a number of creatures and items which do fit it into the 'setting' and it being set in Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms would be interesting although I'm not sure if it would really be more than a nod to any specific plot previously set there.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Coop D'etat wrote: 2022-07-22 05:52pm
They put out promo pictures of the leads with the 5e class symbols. Shiny armour is a Paladin, (half?)Elf Mage is a Sorcerer. Hugh Grant is a Rogue.
So, I was right thinking he was the Token Paladin. I have to wonder if he was an original member, or the one pressing them to "Make It Right".

And Rogues are often the "face" of the party because they have the best Charisma and have those nice skills at Deception, Fast-talking, etc.

Sorcerer is a good idea, because then he's not spouting long spells, he just Does Magic.

Still looking forward to see if WildShape Druid is a Tiefling, and if she's got more shapes than just Owlbear.

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

"And he plays the lute."
"Not relevant."

:lol:

But if it's not relevant, I guess he's really not a bard, because a bard doing that is super relevant. ;) But all previous attempts to translate D&D to screen have failed, so I doubt this will be better. Suppose we'll see.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2022-07-23 01:55pm "And he plays the lute."
"Not relevant."

:lol:

But if it's not relevant, I guess he's really not a bard, because a bard doing that is super relevant. ;) But all previous attempts to translate D&D to screen have failed, so I doubt this will be better. Suppose we'll see.
I don't know, there were some good Popcorn Movies in with them.

As for the Lute, he is carrying it on his back in many of the scenes, and we do see him playing it at the end, which might be part of a Deception they're pulling at the time.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Is it just me, or did ALL MARKETING VANISH about this movie?

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I sure haven't seen any in a while.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

It's not out until march. I don't know how unusual the amount of marketing to it is at the moment.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

The D&D Facebook page has started posting clips of it trying to make memes; see here. So marketing isn't completely dead.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

I honestly haven't enjoyed any D&D-related media since the Saturday morning cartoon when I was six years old (except Ginny DiGiovanni's freelance YouTube channel, which doesn't really count in my mind even though she's making money off it - Her gelatinous cube love ballad is priceless), but I actually have high hopes for this one. It looks like they're taking style notes from GOTG.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2022-11-02 10:20pm The D&D Facebook page has started posting clips of it trying to make memes; see here. So marketing isn't completely dead.
Marketing is not dead, but they have recently announced it's being delayed.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

DISCUSSION ON OLG AND HASBRO MOVED TO OFF-TOPIC FORUM

This is not the thread for that, gentlemen.

Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Can I still say I am not going to watch this movie on principle? I already pay too much money on cardboard crack, after all. :P
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Formless wrote: 2023-01-12 02:45am Can I still say I am not going to watch this movie on principle? I already pay too much money on cardboard crack, after all. :P
I'm wanting to see it. Whether I'll have the MONEY to see it will be the question. :(

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I, as usual, will wait for the DVD.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Despite antics by the copyright holders, I'll still watch it.

Possibly in theaters.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Solauren wrote: 2023-01-12 04:54pm Despite antics by the copyright holders, I'll still watch it.

Possibly in theaters.
Yeah, I hope this is all cleared up... it would feel weird to see it in theaters with it unresolved.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Majin Gojira wrote: 2023-01-15 02:21pm
Solauren wrote: 2023-01-12 04:54pm Despite antics by the copyright holders, I'll still watch it.

Possibly in theaters.
Yeah, I hope this is all cleared up... it would feel weird to see it in theaters with it unresolved.
Weird or not, I'm hoping for something along the lines of "Pacific Rim" -- A popcorn movie with a lot of interesting fight scenes and some good CGI.
If it delivers more than just a Popcorn Movie? Great! But I will settle for turning my brain off and watching. I will also settle for a little bit of leeway in "HEY! The Rules Say You Can't Do That!" if it follows The Rule Of Cool. (See the trailer scene of them diving into what looks like a Gelatinous Cube to escape a Displacer Beast.)

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

And the druid turning into an owlbear, which is not a thing, owlbears not being natural animals. ;)
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

The sad thing is that backlash against this movie is more likely to lead to fantasy works in general being discredited by Hollywood more than them realizing that it was purely about the antics of WOTC.

Also, I can't help but think of the druid as not-Keyleth.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Adam Reynolds wrote: 2023-01-15 06:21pm The sad thing is that backlash against this movie is more likely to lead to fantasy works in general being discredited by Hollywood more than them realizing that it was purely about the antics of WOTC.

Also, I can't help but think of the druid as not-Keyleth.
Doesn't help it's a quirky socially awkward cute redhead character in both cases. the fact one is a tiefling and the other a half-elf is barely noticeable since the tiefling looks almost 100% human with no classic tiefling traits.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n