Thor: Love and Thunder | Official Teaser

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Thor: Love and Thunder | Official Teaser

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

It's here:
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Re: Thor: Love and Thunder | Official Teaser

Post by Steve »

NM all that, forgot Javascript was blocking something
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Steve wrote: 2022-04-20 02:06pm NM all that, forgot Javascript was blocking something
Yeah, something weird is going on. Here's the link to the trailer.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Wish Marvel Studios would stop editing their trailers to hide things. You introduce Zeus and then have a shot with Thor in the middle and Korg on the right and nobody on the left? It didn't work for No Way Home, it won't work now. Calling it now - Hercules.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

GuppyShark wrote: 2022-04-20 02:26pm Wish Marvel Studios would stop editing their trailers to hide things. You introduce Zeus and then have a shot with Thor in the middle and Korg on the right and nobody on the left? It didn't work for No Way Home, it won't work now. Calling it now - Hercules.
Makes sense if his dad's going to be there and they could have some comparison between how he acts and how Thor is now.

Who do you think would be cast as him?
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Bedlam wrote: 2022-04-21 03:00amMakes sense if his dad's going to be there and they could have some comparison between how he acts and how Thor is now.

Who do you think would be cast as him?
Kevin Sorbo. :lol:

If it's not Herc, it could be Loki coming back.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Looking forward to Dr Strange 2 more than this.

But seeing people elsewhere on the web loving Ragnarok and then wailing about Jane Fozser Thor being adapted is hilarious. I'll give it that.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Who doesn't love Ragnarok? It's easily the best of the Thor films! :mrgreen: And it curb-stomped Justice League at the box office :lol:
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-04-21 02:44pm Who doesn't love Ragnarok? It's easily the best of the Thor films! :mrgreen: And it curb-stomped Justice League at the box office :lol:
I have a love/hate relationship with Thor Ragnarok. It's a very fun flashy ride with very little substance and it's reliance on jokes undermines any moment that could and should be serious.

I don't see what the box office comparison with JL has to do with anything. JL isn't good good but I can cut it a lot of slack for rising above it's origins and being better than the synder dreck that came before it.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

I agree, this thread is about Thor. Josstice League vs ZSJL isn't the topic, nor is box office. There's a thread already for the Snyder Cut.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Crazedwraith wrote: 2022-04-21 03:02pm
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-04-21 02:44pm Who doesn't love Ragnarok? It's easily the best of the Thor films! :mrgreen: And it curb-stomped Justice League at the box office :lol:
I have a love/hate relationship with Thor Ragnarok. It's a very fun flashy ride with very little substance and it's reliance on jokes undermines any moment that could and should be serious.

I don't see what the box office comparison with JL has to do with anything. JL isn't good good but I can cut it a lot of slack for rising above it's origins and being better than the synder dreck that came before it.
Disagree strongly, Ragnarok works perfectly because it doesn't take itself too seriously, a lesson they learned when Dark World failed to live up to expectations and the reviews for Ragnarok speak for themselves.

I compared the DC and Marvel entries because they were direct competitors released two weeks apart, and in every conceivable way Ragnarok came out on top.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-04-24 10:15pm Disagree strongly, Ragnarok works perfectly because it doesn't take itself too seriously, a lesson they learned when Dark World failed to live up to expectations and the reviews for Ragnarok speak for themselves.
I wasn't expecting the opinion to be popular. Still it's a film where Thor shows more emotion about getting a haircut than he does the death of his three best friends and the destruction of his home.

Out of Ragnarok, Infinity War and Endgame only Infinity War treats Thor's losses as something serious and traumatic and not a massive joke. Fuck that.

The Dark World was hardly a film that took itself too seriously. It had plenty of fun and funny moments. I remember thinking at the time that's why it was good enjoyable movie to me. It was just kind of forgettable. Ragnorak swung the pendulum all the way into Wacky fun where most Marvel films try for a balance of fun, humour and serious moments but again why should I care about any dramatic moment in Ragnarok when it will be undercut by an unfunny line from korg a second later?
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Crazedwraith wrote: 2022-04-25 04:23am
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-04-24 10:15pm Disagree strongly, Ragnarok works perfectly because it doesn't take itself too seriously, a lesson they learned when Dark World failed to live up to expectations and the reviews for Ragnarok speak for themselves.
I wasn't expecting the opinion to be popular. Still it's a film where Thor shows more emotion about getting a haircut than he does the death of his three best friends and the destruction of his home.

Out of Ragnarok, Infinity War and Endgame only Infinity War treats Thor's losses as something serious and traumatic and not a massive joke. Fuck that.

The Dark World was hardly a film that took itself too seriously. It had plenty of fun and funny moments. I remember thinking at the time that's why it was good enjoyable movie to me. It was just kind of forgettable. Ragnorak swung the pendulum all the way into Wacky fun where most Marvel films try for a balance of fun, humour and serious moments but again why should I care about any dramatic moment in Ragnarok when it will be undercut by an unfunny line from korg a second later?
You've forgotten that Thor’s father Odin tells him that Asgard is not a place. It never was. Asgard is wherever the people are. Thor himself mentions it to his brother Loki and the Valkyrie when he suggests that they need to cause Ragnarok and destroy Asgard. And that’s ok, because it’s not a place, it’s a people.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-04-25 11:30am You've forgotten that Thor’s father Odin tells him that Asgard is not a place. It never was. Asgard is wherever the people are. Thor himself mentions it to his brother Loki and the Valkyrie when he suggests that they need to cause Ragnarok and destroy Asgard. And that’s ok, because it’s not a place, it’s a people.
I had not forgotten that.

I'd also not forgotten Asgard's destruction being punctuated by crappy supposedly funny comments from Korg.

It can attempt depth all it wants. (It at least tried to say something about Loki) but when the film's clearly not giving a shit beyond laughs why should i?
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Crazedwraith wrote: 2022-04-25 12:15pm
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-04-25 11:30am You've forgotten that Thor’s father Odin tells him that Asgard is not a place. It never was. Asgard is wherever the people are. Thor himself mentions it to his brother Loki and the Valkyrie when he suggests that they need to cause Ragnarok and destroy Asgard. And that’s ok, because it’s not a place, it’s a people.

I'd also not forgotten Asgard's destruction being punctuated by crappy supposedly funny comments from Korg.

It can attempt depth all it wants. (It at least tried to say something about Loki) but when the film's clearly not giving a shit beyond laughs why should i?
"'I'll be honest this movie seems more like a comedy than a serious Marvel movie.' You're absolutely right, it does seem more like a comedy, doesn't it? Because. It is."
— Taika Waititi, reading some comments from IGN.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-04-25 01:44pm

"'I'll be honest this movie seems more like a comedy than a serious Marvel movie.' You're absolutely right, it does seem more like a comedy, doesn't it? Because. It is."
Yes? And? Where you under the impression I thought it was accidentally comic?

So what if it's intended as a comedy? I'm not obliged to like it. I'm not obliged to think it was a good idea to make it a comedy.

Seriously if you want to advance an argument. Advance it. Otherwise fuck off.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Crazedwraith wrote: 2022-04-25 02:05pm
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-04-25 01:44pm

Yes? And? Where you under the impression I thought it was accidentally comic?

So what if it's intended as a comedy? I'm not obliged to like it. I'm not obliged to think it was a good idea to make it a comedy.

Seriously if you want to advance an argument. Advance it. Otherwise fuck off.
If you're trying to say it would have been better if it was Darker and Edgier, just fucking say so. They tried that already. It didn't work. If you hate a film that everyone else loves, the problem isn't with the film, it's with you.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

While I enjoyed the movie, I agree that those moments caused a lot of mood whiplash and felt out of place.

“Asgard is not a place” may be true, but the destruction of Thor’s home world and slaughter of the bulk of his people and best friends could have been handled a bit better than that. Or, if this was meant to be a comedy first, maybe those things shouldn’t have been included and Thanos could have been the one to do it in Infinity War.

*Tony dying in Endgame*
Korg “Maybe he’ll still pull through”
*Tony dies*
Korg “Nope, definitely dead”
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

^ Tribble gets what I am saying.

Do I want it be darkier and edgier? It's a movie about Ragnarok. The Norse Apocalypse. The concept is inherently pretty dark and edgy. The movie should reflect that or not do it.

You've still not backed up this idea that The Dark World failed because it was darky and edgy because I don't see how it was. It's pretty much inline with the other Phase 2 Marvel stuff tone wise.

As I heard it the reason for making it comic was Liam Hemsworth was sick of playing Thor and wanted to comedy so they kept him happy. (no Hemsworth comedy movie I've seen has been more than mediocre but whatever that's just Ghostbusters and MIB:I)

And seriously, I'm talking about my subjective opinion of the movie. I get that it's not a common opinion but so what? Are you seriously vexed I don't like a film you do?

-

And to loop around to Love And Thunder, I'm sure it will be fun and I look forward to it.

I hope it sells Natalie Portman as superhereo well. (or is Foster!Thor played by someone else when powered? I don't know, trailers spoil things and I'm already sold on the concept so no preview stuff for me)

And to reiterate my original point. It's hilarious to me that some people that loved Ragnarok turned their noses up at L&T for being too woke despite having the exact same creative team behind it.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Tribble wrote: 2022-04-25 02:31pm While I enjoyed the movie, I agree that those moments caused a lot of mood whiplash and felt out of place.

“Asgard is not a place” may be true, but the destruction of Thor’s home world and slaughter of the bulk of his people and best friends could have been handled a bit better than that. Or, if this was meant to be a comedy first, maybe those things shouldn’t have been included and Thanos could have been the one to do it in Infinity War.

*Tony dying in Endgame*
*Tony dies*
It's called Ragnarok, it had to happen this film. And Thanos did slaughter half the survivors (and Loki) in IW.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-04-25 02:54pm
Tribble wrote: 2022-04-25 02:31pm While I enjoyed the movie, I agree that those moments caused a lot of mood whiplash and felt out of place.

*Tony dying in Endgame*
*Tony dies*
It's called Ragnarok, it had to happen this film. And Thanos did slaughter half the survivors (and Loki) in IW.
No it didn’t, or at least not the way the film was written. It could have just as easily been the arrival of Thanos and his army that is the actual Ragnarok. Actually that would have been interesting - Instead of Surtur Thor makes a deal with Thanos to beat Hela, and Thanos ends up using the opportunity to destroy Asgard, make off with the Space Stone and confirm the location of the others. Thanos’s betrayal would have been all the motive Thor needed in Infinity War / Endgame.

Or if you are aiming for a comedy first film maybe write it and name it something that doesn’t involve an apocalypse with death and slaughter left and right?

And sure, Thanos slaughtered half the survivors - key word being survivors. Asgard and the bulk of the population were already dead by the end of the movie, yet that was treated more or less as a joke.

Again, I liked the movie, though that doesn’t mean I feel it’s perfect and anyone who disagrees has mental issues.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Tribble wrote: 2022-04-25 03:15pm
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-04-25 02:54pm

*Tony dying in Endgame*
*Tony dies*
No it didn’t, or at least not the way the film was written. It could have just as easily been the arrival of Thanos and his army that is the actual Ragnarok. Actually that would have been interesting - Instead of Surtur Thor makes a deal with Thanos to beat Hela, and Thanos ends up using the opportunity to destroy Asgard, make off with the Space Stone and confirm the location of the others. Thanos’s betrayal would have been all the motive Thor needed in Infinity War / Endgame.

Or if you are aiming for a comedy first film maybe write it and name it something that doesn’t involve an apocalypse with death and slaughter left and right?

And sure, Thanos slaughtered half the survivors - key word being survivors. Asgard and the bulk of the population were already dead by the end of the movie, yet that was treated more or less as a joke.

Again, I liked the movie, though that doesn’t mean I feel it’s perfect and anyone who disagrees has mental issues.
Thing is, Thor wasn't present when Hela wiped out the Warriors Three and the army of redshirts so it wouldn't have affected him the same way Thanos killing Loki obviously did, being right in front of him. For Thor, losing his eye and hammer were just the start of his troubles, then losing his brother mere hours later.

Having Thanos taking on Hela especially given their relationship in the comics would certainly have been interesting, though exactly how and more importantly why he would take her on is another matter. Thanos is smart enough he'd probably say he needed the Space Stone to fight her (depending on whether he'd got the Power Stone already) , and the moment he got it the betrayal would come and he'd use it to leave them to their fate. At which point they would have gone back to plan B and used Surtur after all, which would have resulted in a more complicated plot.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: Thing is, Thor wasn't present when Hela wiped out the Warriors Three and the army of redshirts so it wouldn't have affected him the same way Thanos killing Loki obviously did, being right in front of him. For Thor, losing his eye and hammer were just the start of his troubles, then losing his brother mere hours later.
The way the movie was written, ya he wasn’t there. Was kinda hoping if they were being written out he’d at least be involved somehow.
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: Having Thanos taking on Hela especially given their relationship in the comics would certainly have been interesting, though exactly how and more importantly why he would take her on is another matter. Thanos is smart enough he'd probably say he needed the Space Stone to fight her (depending on whether he'd got the Power Stone already) , and the moment he got it the betrayal would come and he'd use it to leave them to their fate. At which point they would have gone back to plan B and used Surtur after all, which would have resulted in a more complicated plot.
IMO Thanos would likely want to take out Hela first given sufficient knowledge of her and her plans, if the fact that Thor of all people showed up asking for help wasn’t enough on its own. The 1st born of Odin seizing total control of Asgard and using all its power / artifacts / Space Stone to go to war is something even Thanos wouldn’t want to leave unchecked.

Could have a similar ending except instead of a one-off character like Surtur we get to see Thanos in action a bit more. Maybe he and Thor go get the Power and/or Reality to even the odds, then Thanos betrays Thor for the Space Stone. Or at least Thor ends up revealing the knowledge of where the stones are. I’d have preferred that to having Thanos beating Thor and razing planets off screen.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2022-04-21 03:02pmI have a love/hate relationship with Thor Ragnarok. It's a very fun flashy ride with very little substance and it's reliance on jokes undermines any moment that could and should be serious.
There's a decent bit of substance to Ragnarok if you look below the surface. There's a whole commentary on post colonial states like Asgard, and how they got to be so, then a whole thing about them sending their trash to places like Planet Goldblum. Given Taika Waititi's work with Indigenous content, this probably wasn't an accident.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Well, I just got back from the cinema- it was good, but not great. Despite having most of the same ingredients (sans Loki & Hulk), something was missing from this film that I couldn't put my finger on- it didn't have the same feel to it that Ragnarok did, it wasn't as good. We have a villain that was an alien that had become radicalised (wonder where I've heard that before) and a woman who was being killed by the thing that was keeping her alive. It's almost like Mjolnir was full of palladium. As with Strange, a lot to unpack.