The Influences on D&D... If Made Today

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

The Influences on D&D... If Made Today

Post by Majin Gojira »

A thought has been percolating around my head, about Dungeons & Dragons, and the literary influences that helped design the world of the game. Among several articles, there were a LOT of influences that ranged from major (Tolkein) to "One creature from this one story" (The Displacer Beast).

The ones that stood out to me the most, literary wise, were:
  • J.R.R. Tolkein/The Lord of the Rings
  • Robert E. Howard/The Conan and related stories.
  • H.P. Lovecraft/The Cthulhu Mythos
  • Edgar Rice Burroughs/Tarzan, Pelucidar, Barsoom
  • Fritz Leiber/Farhad and the Gray Mouser
  • Michael Moorcock/Elric of Melniboné
Of that original list, most have fallen off the pop-cultural radar. Only Tolkein, Howard, and Lovecraft really remain -- though the influences of the others are felt well beyond D&D.

A thought occurred to me looking over all this "What if someone did this Today?"

I know we have faith edition showing some bleed-in from newer series (4 Elements Monk/ Avatar the Last Airbender is kind of obvious), it's been only minor. If influences from modern fantasy/science fiction works got a stronger foothold over in the creation of D&D, what would those things be and what would it look like?

I mean, besides Avatar, since that is already tapped thematically for D&D. Same for Star Wars, because that influences Everything,

And on that note, you are not limited to literature specifically for this thing. Any story told in any medium is valid.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: The Influences on D&D... If Made Today

Post by Solauren »

Basically, anything that was influenced by D&D. (In irony)
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Were Farhad and the Gray MouserMichael Moorcock/Elric of Melniboné ever ON the the pop culture radar? Never heard of Mouser guy before I got here.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Elric was a significant influence on Warhammer, so it would bleed over from there if nothing else.
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

Probably ASOIAF, but not much. It doesn't really notch into "fantasy" in the way the others do, but it's pretty big culturally and especially big with the fanbase that D&D holds. Perhaps it would influence a more toned-down style, less of the sword and sorcery type with big, flashy spells that do anything and everything. That, I think, might be supported by other contemporary fantasy, though I'll admit I've not kept up with the modern trends.

I guess the best, most boring answer would be "whatever role playing games now are about."
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

I always get nervous when I hear the word Christian.
--Mountain

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I would say more that D&D influenced what we have today.

ASOIAF/Game of Thrones had multiple characters on different quests, learning new roles (Arya becomes an assassin, Jon a Ranger, etc). Avatar:Last Airbender was a random mixed party on a quest to save the world. Discworld started with a Tolkien Satire, and lifted from D&D as well.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

There is a chance that Harry Potter would influence it as well.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

It's kind of tough to disentangle post-D&D fantasy from the game itself. If you want to see what might influence a modern cultural touchstone fantasy game, look at modern fantasy games and see what's influenced them.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Jub wrote: 2022-02-22 01:26pm It's kind of tough to disentangle post-D&D fantasy from the game itself.
Indeed that's kind of the problem with thought experiments like this, the very fact the work in question (in this case Dungeons and Dragons) has itself influenced so much that you'd might end in situation where the work ends up influencing itself indirectly if we assume all other works remain the same, if we assume other works don't remain the same then it's within the realms of pure speculations
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Lord Revan wrote: 2022-02-22 04:40pm
Jub wrote: 2022-02-22 01:26pm It's kind of tough to disentangle post-D&D fantasy from the game itself.
Indeed that's kind of the problem with thought experiments like this, the very fact the work in question (in this case Dungeons and Dragons) has itself influenced so much that you'd might end in situation where the work ends up influencing itself indirectly if we assume all other works remain the same, if we assume other works don't remain the same then it's within the realms of pure speculations
I think outside of direct influences and adaptations (Critical Role, Record of Lodoss War, Goblin Slayer, Overlord), the chain-of-influence from the original sources that inspired D&D to what inspired D&D is more like a passing of the touch with D&D as an intermediary. It can get kind of weird. Like, Dragonquest is highly influential to a lot of fantasy in Japan, and it was influenced by games such as Wizardry and Ultima, which were influenced by D&D. So, how much creative DNA does something like That Time I Got Reincarnated As A Slime get from D&D that's truly D&D?

It's hair-splittingly difficult try and sus out, that's for sure! But I think we can use that as a framework for saying that things would largely be the same, but the overt stuff would not be there. Alternatively, you could look at well-loved fantasy series with detailed world-building that have gotten a stronghold onto the nerd-spheres.

So, that's two ways to narrow things down.

But perhaps I've been looking at nonwestern fantasies for so long (Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed, "The Sixth World" series by Rebecca Roanhorse, The "Obsidian and Blood" trilogy by Aliette de Bodard, Journey to the West, and Iron Widow by Xiran Jay Zhao) that it's skewed my perspective. Along with reading fantasy that just predates or was contemporary to the first edition (The Dragon & The George by Gordon R. Dickson) perhaps under-valuing D&D's influence in my own mind.
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

I think you probably don't get Vancian magic in a made-today D&D; maybe magic system looks like some weird mashup of the Dresden Files and Harry Potter, with a lot of willpower checks and focus instruments instead of defined spell levels and single-digit per-day casting limits.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Esquire wrote: 2022-02-24 08:48am I think you probably don't get Vancian magic in a made-today D&D; maybe magic system looks like some weird mashup of the Dresden Files and Harry Potter, with a lot of willpower checks and focus instruments instead of defined spell levels and single-digit per-day casting limits.
Dresden Files is based on D&D. Hell, he even PLAYS DnD.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

Yes, but he's right that a system made now wouldn't consider Dying Earth a major influence. Probably use something akin to a mana pool. As it is, 5e made a major move in that direction with flexible spell slots rather than spells being something you prepared while resting and you were limited to the type and mix you selected then.

A lot of racial things and cosmic alignments have gone out of style as well.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Magic: The Gathering definitely had influence on Dungeons & Dragons and when WOTC purchased TSR, alot of creatures and lore from M:TG went into D&D. When collectible card games (CCG's) first came on the scene in the early 90's, many people thought it would be the death of tabletop RPG's but they have endured and now later generations of gamers enjoy both CCG's and tabletop.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-02-24 02:14pm
Esquire wrote: 2022-02-24 08:48am I think you probably don't get Vancian magic in a made-today D&D; maybe magic system looks like some weird mashup of the Dresden Files and Harry Potter, with a lot of willpower checks and focus instruments instead of defined spell levels and single-digit per-day casting limits.
Dresden Files is based on D&D. Hell, he even PLAYS DnD.
Sure, but Harry never says 'whelp, no more fireballs for me today, better switch to my second-level spells, ' is my point.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

That ... actually carries over into adaptations of D&D seen today. With a more 'mana'/'power point' style of freeform magic.

At least, if Critical Role: The Legend of Vox Machina is anything to go by.
Browncoat

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Darth Lucifer wrote: 2022-02-24 03:27pm Magic: The Gathering definitely had influence on Dungeons & Dragons and when WOTC purchased TSR, alot of creatures and lore from M:TG went into D&D. When collectible card games (CCG's) first came on the scene in the early 90's, many people thought it would be the death of tabletop RPG's but they have endured and now later generations of gamers enjoy both CCG's and tabletop.

Problem - Magic the Gathering (and other CCGs) were heavily inspired by pre3e-D&D.

Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

Hmm... If D&D was made today, I think the first difference would be, it wouldn't be system wise at all like D&D currently is.
Which is sort of interesting. Do people pick up D&D rules or the world first?? I only have a passing familiarity with D&D gaming worlds, which I guess means at no point I went "Well THIS is a world I want to use". Not meaning that they're bad as such, I tend to stay away from fantasy overall so I have no particular interest in D&D worlds.
However, since we're talking about ... reimagined??? D&D.. It an interesting question because it's kind of chicken or the egg type of question.

-Gunhead
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

"And if you don't wanna feel like a putz
Collect the clues and connect the dots
You'll see the pattern that is bursting your bubble, and it's Bad" -The Hives
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Yeah, the D&D setting books seem unpopular. There's not even a Dragonlance book.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

WOTC switched to mostly digital publishing except for the 'introduction stuff'. The reason being simple economics.

With setting books, the only person to buy them is usually the Dungeon Master. Who now, usually owns a computer.

Printed books have a higher profit margin.

Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

GuppyShark wrote: 2022-02-25 02:54pm Yeah, the D&D setting books seem unpopular. There's not even a Dragonlance book.
That's because Dragonlance is a pretty weird setting that hasn't been popular for decades, if ever. Eberron and FR are very much alive in current D&D, as far as I know.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Esquire wrote: 2022-02-26 10:55am
GuppyShark wrote: 2022-02-25 02:54pm Yeah, the D&D setting books seem unpopular. There's not even a Dragonlance book.
That's because Dragonlance is a pretty weird setting that hasn't been popular for decades, if ever. Eberron and FR are very much alive in current D&D, as far as I know.
True. Dragonlance 'Saga' system pretty much killed it as a game setting.
Then you had all that stuff with Takahsis being 'the One God' and having stole the planet and put it in a time pocket....

GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

I forgot what it eventually devolved into, Dragons of Autumn Twilight was still a classic.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

GuppyShark wrote: 2022-02-26 01:02pm I forgot what it eventually devolved into, Dragons of Autumn Twilight was still a classic.
It's okay, most people burned the 'Saga and later' stuff out of their minds :)

Oh, something that would influence D&D - Zombie Plague movies/tv shows.

Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Solauren wrote: 2022-02-26 06:52pm
GuppyShark wrote: 2022-02-26 01:02pm I forgot what it eventually devolved into, Dragons of Autumn Twilight was still a classic.
It's okay, most people burned the 'Saga and later' stuff out of their minds :)

Oh, something that would influence D&D - Zombie Plague movies/tv shows.
That just reminds me of the alterations I saw once to turn D&D zombies into Romero types. Increase the AC by 2, reduce the hit points to like 2, and give them an infectious bite (con reducing disease).

Of course, the best zombie RPG will always be "All Flesh Must Be Eaten."
Browncoat