Harry Potter Thought that closes alot of plotholes.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Harry Potter Thought that closes alot of plotholes.

Post by Solauren »

Over the last few years (before the pandemic), I've taken to reading fanfiction.net, especially Harry Potter stuff.

One thing that I've often seen discussed or mentioned by the better authors is the number of plot-holes in the story.

Now, some of them, we can easily ignore, or view them not as plotholes, but as setting point (qv wizard stupidity)

i.e Arthur Weasley not really knowing anything about Muggles - that's not a plothole, that's a setting point.
i.e The Weasley twins not noticing 'Peter Pettiglew' in bed with their brother on the Marauders map is probably a plothole (it should be noted, however, there is evidence the Map would indicate if people were involved in amorous activities. If that included self-amorous, them not looking into the boys dorm rooms makes perfect sense)

However, I got to wondering - what if they were NOT plot holes?
What if they were actually, part of Voldemorts plan?

Consider - Voldemort was lose in Hogwarts for a year. A year that apparently no one realized he was.
What if, during that time, he decided to 'stack the deck' in his favor for his eventual return?

i.e After meeting Harry, he posseses Quirrel, and learns that Harry appeared smart and eager. Can't have that. He then sees he's friends with the newest Weasley. A few charms, and Ron becomes a major slacker, and Harry is willing to slack for Ron's sake, and Voldemort hasn't tipped his hand he's in the castle. (Killing Harry would have done that).

Add in some stuff to the wards to keep things hidden (i.e don't talk about what's going on in the castle - can't have the DMLE show up after all), to make Potter's life more difficult, let dark objects in, and make the teachers alot more apathetic (i.e Mcgonagal ignoring the trios warning in Year 1, the bullying in Ravenclaw not being dealt with, etc), and alot of the plotholes make sense.

It was all sabatague by Voldemort.

Including him having to have done something to Dumbledore, so Dumbledore went from 'beign super-wizard' to 'alot of readers think he's a secret Dark lord'.

Thoughts?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Re: Harry Potter Thought that closes alot of plotholes.

Post by Majin Gojira »

Personally, I always blamed that sort of thing on a combination of deep insularity of the culture, an over-reliance on magic to solve all problems, and a general lack of education in anything other than magic.

Basically, they're idiots. Systematically and culturally.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Considering Voldemort and Quirrel was actively trying to kill Harry in book 1 at the Quidditch match it makes no sense for him to sabotaging him slowly. There's no indication that kind of long term spelling is even possible. If he can affect the kids and even Dumbledore he could do many more serious things to them.

Harry and Ron being lazy students is not a plot hole (and is also exaggerated by fans), the teachers not taking Harry seriously or not squashing bullying is not a plot hole it's just characterisation people don't like.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2021-12-09 12:57pm Considering Voldemort and Quirrel was actively trying to kill Harry in book 1 at the Quidditch match it makes no sense for him to sabotaging him slowly.
He could at least make the quidditch incident look like an accident, or hide his involvement due to the sheer number of people present.
Crazedwraith wrote: 2021-12-09 12:57pm There's no indication that kind of long term spelling is even possible.
That's why I suggested it was alterations to the wards at Hogwarts.
Crazedwraith wrote: 2021-12-09 12:57pm If he can affect the kids and even Dumbledore he could do many more serious things to them.
Oh, I have no doubt. But, it was rather obvious, Quirrel wasn't all that powerful, and Voldemort certainly wasn't at that point.
Crazedwraith wrote: 2021-12-09 12:57pm Harry and Ron being lazy students is not a plot hole (and is also exaggerated by fans), the teachers not taking Harry seriously or not squashing bullying is not a plot hole it's just characterisation people don't like.
Having read the books, Ron is definitly a lazy student. Considering how hard Mcgongal came down on them over the 'dragon incident', her not at least going to the 'Forbidden Corridor' and investigating is either negligent, petty, or magically compulsed.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Solauren wrote: 2021-12-09 07:47pm
Crazedwraith wrote: 2021-12-09 12:57pm Harry and Ron being lazy students is not a plot hole (and is also exaggerated by fans), the teachers not taking Harry seriously or not squashing bullying is not a plot hole it's just characterisation people don't like.
Having read the books, Ron is definitly a lazy student. Considering how hard Mcgongal came down on them over the 'dragon incident', her not at least going to the 'Forbidden Corridor' and investigating is either negligent, petty, or magically compulsed.
Are you trying to imply I haven't read the books? Because that's a dueling issue. :lol:

I didn't say Ron wasn't lazy. I said it wasn't a plot hole and that as a flaw it was exaggerated and really what I meant was the idea that Harry was super studious before meeting Ron and lazy after was exaggerated by fans.

Why does McGongagall punishing them for misdeeds mean she must investigate the forbidden corridor or else it's a magical compulsion? I do not see hiw those are connected.

Why does Voldemort, despite being magically weak as you say, affecting and influencing everyone's actions for years after undetectably and altering thousand year old wards built into the castle make more sense than... Ron is a typical teenage boy and McGongagall is being overconfident in the protections put around the stone?
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

double post.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2021-12-09 12:57pm Are you trying to imply I haven't read the books? Because that's a dueling issue. :lol:
[/qoute]

Not everyone has (shrugs). However, I acknowledge my faux pax, ad bow to you in apologizes.

Explaining my idea like this would be tedious. Instead, I'm going to see if I can flesh it out enough to make it a fanfic.

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

If anything Dumbledore is more responsible for putting Harry in danger than Voldemort, at least in the earlier books. IIRC he even once told Harry that he had taken a hands off approach so that Harry could learn to face and overcome dangerous circumstances on his own. Up into and including letting Harry face murderous wizards and a giant poisonous demon snake, apparently.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

The reality is that JKR isn't an amazing writer and didn't always think things through very well. She got a hit by being in the right place at the right time with something accessible and digestible and won big.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

There were some elements that were genuinely good. She was a master at using Chekov's gun, and some of the themes (that you shouldn't put people on pedestals because no matter how good they are, they're still people, grief and loss, growing up) are good. Even some of the stuff in Fantastic Beasts is interesting (Grindelwald is a distinct villain from Voldemort in that he represents a more subtle bigotry; Voldy's the genocidal kill em all racist while Grindelwald's the imperialist racist who is able to make his arguments seem logical. Doesn't help that some of his points are fair, since Wizarding society is shown to be very stagnant and corrupt in a lot of ways.)

Order of the Phoenix did a good job with showing how James Potter was a bully in his younger years; even though Sirius still hates Snape (James' favorite punching bag) he still acknowledges they went too far.