MARVEL's What If...? (spoilers possible)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: MARVEL's What If...? (spoilers possible)

Post by Crazedwraith »

Well the Thor episode is just too goofy for me. Plus the downer ending is out of nowhere unlike most of the others.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I loved it, except for the out of nowhere ending.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

The Thor episode mostly worked, Loki being a full-size frost giant flew in the face of what Odin said back in the first Thor film of him being "small for a frost giant". They got most but not all of the actors to voice their characters, it was very noticeable that Danvers, Drax, and Frigga were not voiced by Larson, Bautista, and Russo respectively and took me out of the story.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The Strange episode worked the best on that score I think, both having nearly all the original cast back afaik I know and centering on Benedict Cumberbatch who has done voice acting in films and on radio on top of being a decent actor to start with.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Okay unless it's going to get very timey-wimey next episode, the evens of this universe seem at odds with Watcher being shocked to see at the end of Thor's episode.

I most enjoyed Hawkeye and Black Widow's plotline out of these episode, them being badass and kicking Ulton ass, BW with a Red Guardian shield, the Endgame reversal. All pretty neat.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

I think the part that disappointed me the most in episode 8 is that they didn't get Michael Shanks to do the Ultron voice.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

TimothyC wrote: 2021-09-30 03:10pm I think the part that disappointed me the most in episode 8 is that they didn't get Michael Shanks to do the Ultron voice.
I was like 'but michael shanks wasn't the original voice' but then i figured out the Stargate connection. lol.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

If you're like me and wondering about the Gamorra from the season finale, that episode was apparently postponed to Season 2 because of COVID.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Considering we had only one episode with them they did a good job with the Guardians of the Multiverse. I really enjoyed Captain Carter talking down UltronWins!Black Widow and their subsequent synchonised ass-kickery.

Also Gamora's Stark is alive but immediately dismissed, I lolled. I mean given he starred and had masses of focus in the original films (and they don't have the original actor) I have no problem with them sidelining him in What If..? at all. (Same with Steve who hasn't been hit quite so hard.)
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Strange sounded off. I know the credits say he was Comberbatched but...did he have a cold or something? Party Thor was spot-on, the Watcher dropping off Widow in a reality where she was needed as opposed to the one where she belonged was a nice touch, and the teaser at the end was just plain mean.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

The finale:
1. It really annoys that the infinity gauntlet working/not working between universes is inconsistant. (The comics addressed this also - there, infinity gems only work in their own universe. Thus solving the question of "Why haven't we seen Thanos/Doom take over the multiverse").
2. Man but Thanos was jobbed hard. I get that the writers didn't have good ideas and wanted to focus on other stuff, but seriously?

Rest of the series had some great stuff. It might have worked better with a format more like the old comics though: 1-2 stories per episode. (Some eps felt like they lacked meat, and many concepts would work great as short, comedic bits. )
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The second season is dropping daily over the holiday season.

First episode: What If... Nebula join the Nova Core. I like that they gave Nebula a starring episode and it's a noir style thing on a Xandar that protected itself from Ronan (presumably power stoneless it's not made clear) with an energy shield cutting themselves off from a universe. I love Nebula but don't like the goofy characters they used as a supporting cast.

Second episode: What if... Peter Quill attack Earth's Mightiest Heroes. This one is great. Yondu gave Peter Quill to Ego who immediately empowers him and he makes a bee line back to Earth. Peggy carter and Howard Stark form an 80s Avengers team with basically everyone who was canonically active then. (Ant-Man, Goliath, Winter Soldier, T'Chaka, and Mar-Vel. Who are joined by Thor later). (The only person who couldbe there and isn't is Red Guardian/Melina as Black Widow) It manages to gives an Avengers team up with some moments for everyone, Howard and Peggy's reaction to Bucky, a small story arc for Peter and Hope and Hank. All in one episode. Really well done, I thought.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Other than Howard the Duck those were regular MCU characters and did anybody else get serious 'Blade Runner' vibes from the police cars and the cityscape?
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Does them being regular MCU characters mean I can't dislike them? Korg has never been funny.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

You can dislike whatever the hell you want. Goofy characters merely sounded like they used weird unknown characters.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Falling behind. Daily release schedule is stupid. Didn't like the second two as much as the first two.

Episode 3 thoughts: It's just supposed to be silly fun I get it but nothing in the episode really amused me. Just my sense of humour I guess. W.E.R.N.E.R though got a little smile. Canon Darcy became a Doctor of astrophysics. In this episode her shtick is constant intern. Not impressed.

Episode 4 thoughts: It's not bad as an episode. Tony Stark impersonator is excellent. It's fun, it does something new, it... mostly makes sense. Though in prime universe, Thanos didn't send Gamora after Tony. Maybe we can handwave this as because he was on Earth at the centre of his power and is relatively exposed on Sakaar.

Anyway... as an episode for explaining who Thanos-Slayer Gamora is and where she came from, it is fucking pitiful to do that as just Tony's really good at talking people around. Both her and Val? In one episode. Nah.