WANDAVISION (SPOILERS, SWEETIE!)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: WANDAVISION (SPOILERS, SWEETIE!)

Post by Broomstick »

Sure, New Yorkers know... but people in, say, North Korea? China? Anywhere information is heavily censored. And you just know have of the US will think it's all "fake news", a false flag operation, and wake up sheeple!
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Given the montage of people around the world cheering the Avengers at the end of the film, it looks like word was out.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

OK, my hypothesis refuted.

Except I'm hanging onto the "fake news"/CT people being a thing.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Enjoying it so far, though I can't help but think Legion did the reality-warping weirdness better a few years earlier (also they went ALL IN with it rather than a few episodes). I'm just glad Vision is back in some for or another. Though I could've done with Darcy staying in 2013...
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ok, finally saw the episode, and as I called it last week, this was our look from the outside.
Soon as I saw Darcy I started laughing. I'm happy to see her still kicking around. :) Also like Woo.

Yes, Geraldine was Capt. Rambo, as people called. However, "Geraldine" may have been a personnae forced upon her when Wanda started talking to her. More intel needed.

Rambo going missing is what set up the Containment Zone. If it hadn't been for the 'outsiders' of FBI and SWORD, no one would have ever realized Westview was gone.

We don't know what Wanda did to the guy who got in from the sewers. We know he didn't get thrown out like Rambo did, so he may show up at some other point, or he may be dead.

I wish we didn't have confirmation that Wanda is doing all this, and that Vision is ... zombified. That... that was painful to see :(
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Yes. Dead!Vision was so, so creepy and awful to see. It was a path through the Uncanny Valley straight into horror.

Also used CGI effects that were completely impossible during the sitcom era portrayed if you think about it on a meta-level.

Lots of on-line speculation that that is Vision's actual dead body that Wanda is animating. Brrr!

Also, did you catch that while they identified most of the people in Westview as actual people they weren't able to identify Anges or Dottie?

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-02-01 08:56am Yes. Dead!Vision was so, so creepy and awful to see. It was a path through the Uncanny Valley straight into horror.

Also used CGI effects that were completely impossible during the sitcom era portrayed if you think about it on a meta-level.

Lots of on-line speculation that that is Vision's actual dead body that Wanda is animating. Brrr!

Also, did you catch that while they identified most of the people in Westview as actual people they weren't able to identify Anges or Dottie?
I hadn't noticed that they'd not ID'd those two, no! I also noticed Woo didn't say if/when they found his missing Witness.
And.. yeah I called him a zombie because I assumed it was his body. :(

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

I expect it is Vision's body as well. She didn't create the townspeople out of thin air, they are puppets dancing on her strings.

"There are no strings on me" - Ultron
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

It makes sense if it’s his actual body; being made of vibranium and all that it should have easily survived without further damage.

The question is whether or not that is Vision himself and Wanda was able to put him back somehow, or if he’s just an illusion.

It’ll also be interesting to see how the Mind Stone plays into this as IIRC we saw it in one of the trailers. While it’s technically destroyed in the sense that it’s atoms were scattered, IIRC it’s still part of the universe and Wanda and/or Vision may still be able to interact with it somehow.

EDIT: Another question is whether or not ripping out the Mind Stone actually killed vision, or whether that just rendered him unable to function. How much of his mind was in the Mind Stone as opposed to his actual brain? As his cells were made of vibranium I doubt they decayed much, if at all. It’s possible that Wanda is just reactivating them and the illusion is more for looks than anything else.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Tribble wrote: 2021-02-01 04:16pmEDIT: Another question is whether or not ripping out the Mind Stone actually killed vision, or whether that just rendered him unable to function. How much of his mind was in the Mind Stone as opposed to his actual brain? As his cells were made of vibranium I doubt they decayed much, if at all. It’s possible that Wanda is just reactivating them and the illusion is more for looks than anything else.
IIRC Vision was being operated on by Shuri, to try and unentangle his personality from the stone, so it's not clear.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

ok so Zombie Vision is all well and good, and, yes, lots of backstory and filling in questions... But... Can we take a moment to step aside from the show, and explore the ramification of what we saw happened in the "Reverse Snap" ???

Everyone came back, IN THE EXACT SAME LOCATION THEY WERE SNAPPED IN.

Can we even begin to fathom how many people came back and IMMEDIATELY died?

Everyone who was snapped on a plane? Dead
On a ship at sea? Dead
On a crosswalk and immediately struck by a car? Maybe just maimed horribly...

But that is just scratching the surface of the horror.
How about people who were snapped in a location that is now being occupied by something else? Do they just die instantly as their flesh materializes in the middle of a parked car or a building?

Like just... Geeze, there is so much WRONG to think about
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

Kevin Feige has mentioned that since Hulk is smart in the movies he'd be aware of snapping people in wrong places, and Hulk would likely be getting people to "come back safely". So at least most of the people would probably not be materializing in immediate danger. What comes next, though...

(I actually hate myself typing this since I didn't like them getting snapped back five years later and all the so-called 'reasoning' behind it, but it's done so....)
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Yes, I thought the whole 'no you don't reappear in midair' thing would have been known by now
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Huh, ok ,well, I guess I am in the odd man out on that one.
of course I dont exactly follow a lot of the hubbub, gossip, or stuff outside of just the movies and shows.
well good on him I guess for thinking about that ahead of time
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

Crossroads Inc. wrote: 2021-02-01 08:57pm Huh, ok ,well, I guess I am in the odd man out on that one.
of course I dont exactly follow a lot of the hubbub, gossip, or stuff outside of just the movies and shows.
well good on him I guess for thinking about that ahead of time
+1 on me.
The only reason I know is because I saw people mentioning again and again with a bunch of interpretations (and without citing who said it) to the point it sounded like a fan theory so I had to look it up.
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

To be fair, if you have to go to an interview with the producer for something vital, the film messed up.

That could have been sorted with 2-3 lines of dialogue, but evidently not?

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Gandalf wrote: 2021-02-02 05:53am To be fair, if you have to go to an interview with the producer for something vital, the film messed up.

Seems like it should be pretty obvious. I mean, it took me like a second or so to go from considering it to "Well Hulk would have included a 'don't bring them back somewhere immediately fatal' clause." I don't think that's a sign of me being a genius.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

It's all magic anyway.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ralin wrote: 2021-02-02 06:58am
Gandalf wrote: 2021-02-02 05:53am To be fair, if you have to go to an interview with the producer for something vital, the film messed up.

Seems like it should be pretty obvious. I mean, it took me like a second or so to go from considering it to "Well Hulk would have included a 'don't bring them back somewhere immediately fatal' clause." I don't think that's a sign of me being a genius.
That bit may have ended up on the cutting room floor, who knows.
Just remember we have to hope that anyone flying did NOT have all the pilots vanish, or there'd have been plane crashes during The Snap. We don't see that. Hell, we don't see anyone vanishing from transports, so did they even vanish from cars and planes?
So, yes, Hulk brought them back safely, and there were 'shifts' for those who may have been in danger, or at high speeds when they went.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

LadyTevar wrote: 2021-02-02 08:50pmThat bit may have ended up on the cutting room floor, who knows.
Just remember we have to hope that anyone flying did NOT have all the pilots vanish, or there'd have been plane crashes during The Snap. We don't see that. Hell, we don't see anyone vanishing from transports, so did they even vanish from cars and planes?
In Infinity War, during the setup for Captain Marvel, we see cars and helicopters crashing. So presumably planes went down too.

Interestingly, I wonder what happened to planets whose whole ecology might have collapsed post snap, and bringing people back dumped a bunch of people into some Mad Max hellscape.

- George Carlin
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

LadyTevar wrote: 2021-02-02 08:50pm Just remember we have to hope that anyone flying did NOT have all the pilots vanish, or there'd have been plane crashes during The Snap. We don't see that.
Yes we do. In the teaser at the end of Infinity War we see a helicopter crash into a building, so there's one flying vehicle crash. When Thanos snapped he didn't care about safety - so in the MCU reality he actually killed more than half.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-02-03 03:54am
LadyTevar wrote: 2021-02-02 08:50pm Just remember we have to hope that anyone flying did NOT have all the pilots vanish, or there'd have been plane crashes during The Snap. We don't see that.
Yes we do. In the teaser at the end of Infinity War we see a helicopter crash into a building, so there's one flying vehicle crash. When Thanos snapped he didn't care about safety - so in the MCU reality he actually killed more than half.
Well... damn. There go my rose-colored glasses.

We'll just assume Hulk brought them back safely.

Now, the question is, how many (if any) were Blipped from Westview? And who/what was in the folder delivered to Woo while he was outside waiting to make contact with a radio?

Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Thanos may have been a HARD MAN making HARD DECISIONS while HARD, a rocket scientist he was not. All the places he'd already "balanced" would have been double-dipped with The Snap(tm). And after a few generations, right back to where they were anyway.

Professor Hulk, though, well, he is smart. In Endgame he actually mentioned trying to bring Nat back, so there was a lot more than "everyone who was snapped, back today, that's it" in what he wished for.

[edit] Nat not Natalie, because it's actually Natasha. Duh]
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

Khaat wrote: 2021-02-04 10:57am Thanos may have been a HARD MAN making HARD DECISIONS while HARD, a rocket scientist he was not. All the places he'd already "balanced" would have been double-dipped with The Snap(tm). And after a few generations, right back to where they were anyway.

Professor Hulk, though, well, he is smart. In Endgame he actually mentioned trying to bring Nat back, so there was a lot more than "everyone who was snapped, back today, that's it" in what he wished for.

[edit] Nat not Natalie, because it's actually Natasha. Duh]
Thanos literally is his culture's equivalent of a rocket scientist, and incredibly functionally intelligent. He's just radicalized by to the point that he doesn't question or interrogate his final solution because its about him being proven right about the culll the population plan that he proposed for his homeworld. So he applies his intellect to means but not ends.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

IT'S THE OTHER PIETRO! Quicksilver from the XMen movies. Oh boy, is this how they're gonna merge the XMen and MCU? Also, yeah, they're setting Wanda up as the big bad, maybe even for the next phase of movies?