Kindle fantasy books recommendations

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Kindle fantasy books recommendations

Post by mr friendly guy »

So I have started to look into fantasy / sci fi series on kindle by authors who on some of their books don't have a paperback or hardback edition(according to Amazon). So most probably not necessarily a best seller in "traditional" fantasy. At first I was just looking for something to read on the long flights and picked up the Magitech chronicles by Chris Fox, which is fantasy meets sci fi with dragons and deities.
https://www.amazon.com/Magitech-Chronic ... 427&sr=1-1

Its a decent read especially once I figured out how to get rid of the DRM and allow me to split the quadrilogy of books into separate files for easier reading, not be bound by Amazon's kindle software etc.

So I started looking at other fantasy series of which largely are confined to kindle. They seem interesting and might be something I like which are easier to read than the epic Robert Jordan/ Brandon Sanderson series I have read. I figured since a whole bunch of them cost less than $1 or up to $4, I can't have lost that much if I don't enjoy it. Unfortunately at the back of my mind, there is also the thought that it might be crap given its less than $1 for several books.

My question is, any recommendations? Basically I am looking for escapist fantasy which is easy to read.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Re: Kindle fantasy books recommendations

Post by Ralin »

I can strongly recommend the Revanche Cycle by Craig Schaefer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PA0T0W4

He's mainly an urban fantasy author, but he decided to write a more traditional (sorta...it's more Renaissance than pseudo-medieval) fantasy series to get out of his comfort zone and challenge himself as a writer. The result was what I'd describe in many ways as a better, faster-paced Song of Ice and Fire. It was easily the best material he'd ever written up to that point. Naturally it sold like crap.

If you like if you might try his main series, the Daniel Faust books and its spin-off series Harmony Black. Daniel Faust is about a thief and conman in Las Vegas who is also a magician. Imagine the Dresden Files if there was no White Council and Dresden was weak and clever instead of stupid and powerful.

The main female character Spoiler
is a literal succubus
and there's still less drooling over how hot she is than an average Harry Dresden conversation with a woman. It's beautiful.

And all of his work is in Kindle Unlimited.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Re: Kindle fantasy books recommendations

Post by Majin Gojira »

Okay, there's one thing I can recommend, but it's definitely odd.

Daikaiju Yuki.

It's probably the bests piece of Kaiju fiction I've read. That includes all the tie-in stuff that's been made. It also doesn't involve a Godzilla clone, so the plot ends up being rather unique. The main fantastic element is the Kaiju themselves, and the people who can fuse with them. Once they were great protectors, but now many have been subverted into vehicles of war between various nations. Our heroine is first sent to awaken her nation's Kaiju and fuse with it, but on doing so, finds out there is much more at stake than the petty squabbles between nations.

A post-apocalyptic world with the Kaiju are a magical element added onto it, It has a strong structure behind it to almost "Avatar" levels and it thematically fits the old school giant monster movies (with environmentalism, anti-corporate greed and anti-war themes throughout). The real key is the banter between Yuki and Narajin. Both are well developed and realized characters. The supporting cast is pretty solid, but because Yuki and Narajin literally get into each other's heads, fun times are had writing-wise.

I've only partly read the sequel, but the shift in 'rating' from PG-13 to R is a little offputting, IMO. But that's my only real complaint.

If you enjoy giant monster stuff, there's a ton of easter eggs from character names to chapter titles, to other things. It's cheesy but totally appropriate for the genre.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran