Themiscyra in the real world.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Themiscyra in the real world.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Simple scenario:

Themiscyra as depicted in the DC cinematic universe exists in our world. No other DC stuff, just the island, the Amazons, and Diana. To make its secrecy more plausible, though, I'm going to place it in the mid-Atlantic, semi-tropical latitudes above the Equator. Assume it gets discovered some time in the 20th Century, either by a ship stumbling on it or, at the latest, when sattelite imagery begins to be taken.

How does the world react to an actual island of Amazons, and how does history change?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Themiscyra in the real world.

Post by Solauren »

It's a small, isolated island, in the middle of the Atlantic, that has no valuable resources, a small population with no interest in technology, and wants no contact with the outside world.

They get written off as a 'uncontacted people with no interest in the outside world', and ignored.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Solauren wrote: 2019-12-09 05:14pm It's a small, isolated island, in the middle of the Atlantic, that has no valuable resources, a small population with no interest in technology, and wants no contact with the outside world.

They get written off as a 'uncontacted people with no interest in the outside world', and ignored.
They're a bit more significant than that in that they've survived despite having no males for reproduction- that alone is going to be of great scientific and cultural interest. Then there's the fact that unlike most uncontacted people, they have at least iron age technology, and are apparently a remnant/descendant of ancient Greek culture preserved since the present day (as an aside, theories about the existence of Atlantis will gain a LOT more credibility).

Then there's Diana, who's a full-blown small-g god if she goes public.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

I know very little about the mythology surrounding the DC universe Amazons, but isn't their culture/island replete with various magical artifacts of different kinds? Pretty much anything from a comic book universe if made real would provoke some pretty substantial existential questions, given the almost universal existence of magic in comic book lore.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Ziggy Stardust wrote: 2019-12-09 05:36pm I know very little about the mythology surrounding the DC universe Amazons, but isn't their culture/island replete with various magical artifacts of different kinds? Pretty much anything from a comic book universe if made real would provoke some pretty substantial existential questions, given the almost universal existence of magic in comic book lore.
I'm using the version from the DC cinematic universe. Only Themiscyra, not the whole DC universe, but I think its fair to include any artifacts of Themisyran origin in that.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

It's an invisible island full of people whose history if nothing else shows that a lot of human history is wrong. That's a huge prize considering how poorly defended it it compared to a twentieth century army.

Before WW2, empires run to colonise the lands for empire reasons.

After WW2, blocs run to liberate the lands for bloc reasons.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

A ship stumbling across it, or satelite imaging demonstrates it's not invisible.

If the natives (re Amazons) just run off the landing crews and contact boats, without any more contact allowed, then we get a 'uncontacted tribe scenario'. Just one that is more advanced. i.e Was just off from mainland greek culture at one point, but didn't technologically change.

Really, it's not until we develop satelites that can picture there are no men on the island at all that attention might be paid to them. I don't think we're even at that tech level yet.

So, unless someone somehow gets on the island, takes lots of pictures, and proves there are no men on the island at all, who's gonna care about an island with no value, that wants the work to fuck off, beyond historical curiosity.

I admit, once the 'immortal women' thing is known, however, there will be lots of attention. Especially if Diana becomes known about.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Honestly, there's not much information about the DCEU Amazons to work from to make this interesting, and we're getting more information on it down the line both in Wonder Woman '84, and an unnamed Amazon-based spinoff of some sort. So, speculating on this level is premature.

And the DCEU hasn't handled it well.

The other point is, well, the comics have handled it somewhat. Greg Rucka's runs explicitly look at the political side of comic-Themysicra being on the map. The short of it is, there are resources in Comic Themyscira that the US, in particular, wants access to.

Sure, there's the immortal and "peak human condition' Amazon's themselves who could be e geneticists field day. There's the saved knowledge of the Greeks (which isn't that much, since Byzantium and Islam saved most of it anyway). The island itself basically screams "Magic exists and the Greek gods were real" which, if that ever gets out, is going to be hilarious. This is primarily confirmed because the place is literally built to guard a portal to Hades in many adaptations, so if someone does attack it, they risk a lot more than they think going in. But the Amazons keep that tightly guarded as a secret, so it can bite someone in the ass down the line.

But they do have some technologies or other resources that the US wanted in the comics. Sure, the Invisible Jet is nice, but the real prize here is the Purple Healing Ray.

That is a resource the U.S. Wanted and the Amazons would not give up. Why? Well, it can easily be turned into a terrifying weapon of mass destruction. A "Purple Death Ray" with about 15 minutes or rewiring.

This was originally going to build-up to the US Invasion of Themysicra, but the DC Comics Editorial pissed off Greg Rucka and he left, leading them to try and to it themselves, resulting in "Amazons Attack."

And we all know how well that went!
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran