Carnival Row

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Carnival Row

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, I just binged the Amazon Original series, Carnival Row. It's not too bad.

Imagine a steampunk fantasy London-flavored world, wherein in the human dominated nation of Brugue City, there's lots of fantasy racism against fairies and fauns, who are pretty much immigrants and refugees. Each storyline is dealing with the differences in the haves and have nots, whether it's via differences in race, social class, wealth, etc. While this is all very intriguing, it can also be very off-putting, as this is a fully developed world, and it takes a little while to get used to the fact that everything in this world is fully fleshed out, and we don't really know everything about this place, and we may never know.

Is it an enjoyable experience? Yes.
Is it confusing at times? Yes.

But if you enjoy steampunk, fantasy, social themes, political dramas, or crime dramas, this should be a show you enjoy.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Carnival Row

Post by Broomstick »

I watched this one, too, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to season two, which has been greenlighted.

While we mostly see "pix" (pixies, but not teeny little fairy people but human-sized ones) and "pucks" (satyr/faun) there are a few centaurs as background characters and trow (trolls) are referenced. There are also a werewolf-like creature (marrok) and a nasty thing called a "darkasher" which is a flesh golem, a thing assembled out of parts of dead creatures and animated to do the will of its master.

Dealing with war, murder and bigotry the tale is quite dark. The setting is also, literally, quite dark much of the action taking place at night or dimly lit interiors, sometimes to the point it hurts the production in my opinion but still very much worth watching.

Recurring themes are the problems of living a lie, bigotry, and either being or not being who you truly are. A bit heavy on the species intolerance, but it also segues into things like homophobia.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

It was very enjoyable. Started off slow, but episode 3 really got things cooking. Loved the story, loved the acting. Was surprised that Legolas pulled off a pretty good tough guy cop routine. Was well done and I'm waiting for season 2.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

The plot is a bit of a mess, and every once in a while the dialogue can be absolutely cringe-worthy, but overall I found it to be a very enjoyable binge watch. It has a lot of flaws, but in the end I think it's a "greater than the sum of its parts" situation. The overall aesthetic and setting of the show (and it's decidedly un-subtle political allegory) are just so interesting it's hard not to become invested in it.

I do wish the show would stop trying so hard to be "Game of Thrones" and lean more into its own voice, though. Sophie Longerbane had two separate monologues that were both basically parroting Littlefinger's "chaos is a ladder" speech. And the whole incestuous siblings seeking power for personal gain subplot between her and Arty just doesn't feel very organic, it feels more like a plot written by a committee trying to replicate GoT.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I thought it was pretty good. Not great but good enough that I look forward to the next season.

The full on alternate (but feels familiar) world building was cool.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.