The Fellowship of the Starfleet Crews

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Which Star Trek Crew would do best in LOTR?

TOS Crew
No votes
TNG Crew
89%
DS9 Crew
11%
Voy Crew
No votes
ENT Crew
No votes

Total votes: 9

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: The Fellowship of the Starfleet Crews

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Hmm, to give the Voyager team a better chance, I wonder if subbing in the Doctor would give them someone who could resist the Ring? Not because the Doctor is honest and humble enough to resist its temptation (he's sure as hell neither, especially not humble), but I'm not sure the Ring's magic could affect a non-organic mind.

The Doctor is also one of the more genuinely competent members of the crew, and immune to a lot of forms of damage.

He's in trouble if his mobile emitter gets stolen or damaged, though.

Edit: If I could make a combo team, combining the best from each crew here and limiting it to eight plus Gandalf (to match the nine of the original Fellowship), I'd go with:

Data: Ring Bearer.

Picard: Diplomatic skill and leadership. Also a fine swordsman, come to think of it.

Kira: Can't imagine a former resistance fighter wouldn't have relevant skills. Alternatively, Kirk could fill this spot.

Paris: All around one of the most competent of the Voyager crew, might have actually read (or holo-played) LotR, given his interest in 20th. Century culture and holoprograms.

Bashire: A genuinely good man, and his enhanced abilities and medical training will be useful.

Spock: Strong, good hand to hand fighter, brilliant mind. Can back up Picard's diplomacy. Was going to be Seven, but I remembered a problem with that.*

Worf: The setting just begs for an honourable warrior.

Troi or Tuvok: For intelligence purposes. Troi has mind reading, Tuvok is the better fighter.

All of these save Troi are among the more able hand-to-hand fighters in the setting, as well.

*Seven needs to regenerate in her Borg pod. That... will be a problem in this setting.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-07-19 04:14am Hmm, to give the Voyager team a better chance, I wonder if subbing in the Doctor would give them someone who could resist the Ring? Not because the Doctor is honest and humble enough to resist its temptation (he's sure as hell neither, especially not humble), but I'm not sure the Ring's magic could affect a non-organic mind.

The Doctor is also one of the more genuinely competent members of the crew, and immune to a lot of forms of damage.

He's in trouble if his mobile emitter gets stolen or damaged, though.
Well, since the OP stated that Middle Earth magic is in full effect for the Starfleet crews, I'll say that the One Ring can influence the Doctor's and Data's minds as well (though Data would be far less susceptible if his emotion chip is off).

Since the Doctor is not exactly known for his honesty and humility... hell who am I kidding?! The Doctor has a massive ego and is temperamental at the best of times; I'd say his chances of resisting the Ring's influence for is pretty much zero.
The Romulan Republic wrote:Edit: If I could make a combo team, combining the best from each crew here and limiting it to eight plus Gandalf (to match the nine of the original Fellowship), I'd go with:

Data: Ring Bearer.

Picard: Diplomatic skill and leadership. Also a fine swordsman, come to think of it.
Kira: Can't imagine a former resistance fighter wouldn't have relevant skills. Alternatively, Kirk could fill this spot.
Paris: All around one of the most competent of the Voyager crew, might have actually read (or holo-played) LotR, given his interest in 20th. Century culture and holoprograms.
Bashire: A genuinely good man, and his enhanced abilities and medical training will be useful.
Spock: Strong, good hand to hand fighter, brilliant mind. Can back up Picard's diplomacy. Was going to be Seven, but I remembered a problem with that.*
Worf: The setting just begs for an honourable warrior.

Troi or Tuvok: For intelligence purposes. Troi has mind reading, Tuvok is the better fighter.
If we had a combo team that's all good choices, though I would probably swap out Paris for Odo since Odo would be literally immune to all non-magical damage.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

I am horribly, morbidly curious to see how well Odo would endure things like Saruman's greek fire equivalent, or a cauldron of boiling oil.

Could he just turn himself or one of his arms into a solid shield like Ms. Marvel and tank shit like that?
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay