Where did Nick Fury's Helicarrier go? (Marvel Cinematic Universe)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Where did Nick Fury's Helicarrier go? (Marvel Cinematic Universe)

Post by FaxModem1 »

In Avengers 2: Age of Ultron, Nick Fury shows up with minor characters from Captain America: Winter Soldier on board the repaired and refitted Helicarrier that Agent Coulson dedicated a lot of resources to refitting and repairing over the course of the second season of Agents of SHIELD. What happened to it afterwards? It's never seen or heard from again.

Where did Nick Fury go with the Helicarrier he used to rescue the citizens of Sokovia?
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Re: Where did Nick Fury's Helicarrier go? (Marvel Cinematic Universe)

Post by PREDATOR490 »

The most logical answer is that it has been confiscated and / or dismantled.

SHIELD has been completely discredited over the course of Agents of Shield so one would expect real world authorities will quickly seize all of the assets they can. That carrier is a gigantic asset that should not be possible to hide once it is revealed in such a public manner.

If you ignore AoS - SHIELD is gone and the movies are making no effort or indication that SHIELD is still around in any form except Fury and Hill doing whatever the plot requires as private agents.

Clearly, the original intention is for AoS to be working in the background to build some of the backwork for the movies but that stopped in Season 2.
I find this a bit of a shame since as a concept it was pretty good at the beginning when it was working however, the MCU has clearly decided that continuity is of no interest and will even be crapped on if it 'looks cools'.
Hence, we have Nick Fury holding on to a pager to Captain Marvel to be used for emergencies that he magically did not come up or get used through the multiple emergencies that happened before the Infinity War.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

PREDATOR490 wrote: 2019-06-22 08:05pm I find this a bit of a shame since as a concept it was pretty good at the beginning when it was working however, the MCU has clearly decided that continuity is of no interest and will even be crapped on if it 'looks cools'.
In other words.... just like the comic books they're based on.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Apparently, the guy in charge of the movies in the MCU, does not like the TV series, and doesn't consider them part of the continuality, and has stated he will ignore them as he sees fit.

Meaning, Jessica Jones et all, are not part of the MCU.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

For that matter where did the other 63 go. The one in Avengers was no. 64, so either they were burning through them like crazy, or there are others. Agents of Shield had a regular aircraft carrier too, so SHIELD must have been enormous.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Perhaps the hull numbering for Helicarriers isn't sequential like RAF tail numbers IIRC, where they'd allocate blocks of a thousand numbers for a plane they only built 20 or so of so it'd look more impressive. Or whoever was in charge really liked the USS Constellation and borrowed the number.

Or the hull numbering applies to all SHIELD's vessels and instead of "Helicarrier no. 64" it's actually "SHIELD Vessel No. 64", like the NCC/NX numbers from Starfleet.

As for the actual aircraft carrier...
Spoiler
A carrier, on it's own after it's parent organisation is destroyed in a single day by betrayal from within, and commanded by Edward James Olmos...wonder where they got that idea from.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

If you want an explanation, well a helicarrier must be hells expensive to keep operating. Without an established SHIELD to maintain the bird, it probably went out of service post mission. It really doesn't matter much though, the fact that it doesn't show up is fine, you can just assume that what happened to the helicarrier isn't important to any subsequent stories. That's normal serial story-telling, not a continuity flaw.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

It's entirely possible the United States government went "Hey, that's OURS", and demanded it be turned over.

It's surrendering to the US government does explain a little on why in the next Season of 'Agents of Shield', the US government appeared to be open to the idea that the remains of shield might be trustworthy.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Who pays for SHIELD anyway?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

As far as the movies are concerned - SHIELD really does not exist. At best, Fury and Hill have stowed away SHIELD assets away secretly.

The only alternative is that SHIELD has effectively wrapped itself into the authority the Accords created.

As far as AoS is concerned - SHIELD is an American private organisation that is partially supported by the American government.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-06-23 10:24pm Who pays for SHIELD anyway?
It appeared to be a quasi-global organization in the Avengers film, as it appeared that at least some of the people in charge of it (the talking heads that Fury consulted who ordered an nuclear attack on the Chitauri incursion) were European. My take is that it's a primarily American organization with ties to NATO/UN, and funded via defense budget overruns in various countries but again primarily the US. In other words, they get paid for by the $20,000 toilet seats...

Eta: non canon, but see:

https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fandom. ... ty_Council

My bad; they're oversight rather than actual financial support. However note that Sharon Carter is British (IIRC), so it's a safe guess that the UK liaised with the US in forming SHIELD initially and was involved at least early days. In the modern day, it appears to be almost entirely American, though it may be involved in enforcing the Sovokia Accords.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.